Personal Life Coach

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KandT

Personal Life Coach

Post by KandT »

I spend $80/hour twice a month to speak with a life coach. She seems to keep me on the rails and if I go too long without talking with her I tend to stray from my good habits.

Does anyone else have similar expenditures that they feel add to the quality of their life????

I feel guilty like this is a luxury item but I perform so much better at work and in my social life that I feel like it is worth the money. :sharebeer

Re: Personal Life Coach

Post by 123 »

Some people use a financial adviser for monetary issues. Some people use a clergyman or therapist for personal issues. I've heard more about "life coaches" the last few years but I would be concerned about their qualifications and liability since I haven't heard of any state standards or licensing.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Cars require maintenance.
We don't question that.
Physical bodies require maintenance.
We don't question that.
Our minds and psyche require maintenance.
That should not be thought of with guilt, or as an extravagant pleasure.
Good on you for finding what keeps you running.
Keep it up.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

KandT wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:15 pm I spend $80/hour twice a month to speak with a life coach. She seems to keep me on the rails and if I go too long without talking with her I tend to stray from my good habits.

Does anyone else have similar expenditures that they feel add to the quality of their life????

I feel guilty like this is a luxury item but I perform so much better at work and in my social life that I feel like it is worth the money. :sharebeer
What's the difference between a financial coach anda financial adviser?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Sounds like we're going into the unlicensed, snake oil realm here. Isn't there an app for this? I used to have a magic eight ball.
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

KandT wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:15 pm I spend $80/hour twice a month to speak with a life coach. She seems to keep me on the rails and if I go too long without talking with her I tend to stray from my good habits.
If she keeps you on point and you feel like it’s productive, it doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks. And I charge 5x that hourly rate, so more power to you. :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (coach).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Any recommendations on companies or people for life coaches would be great. Googling vs recommendations helps. I get so much out of my trainer once a week at the gym. It’s accountability.

Thanks.
Topic Author
KandT

Post by KandT »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:32 pm

What's the difference between a financial coach anda financial adviser?
To be clear she is not a financial coach at all. We don't discuss money directly. Sometimes how to handle situations at work which would indirectly impact my finances.
Topic Author
KandT

Post by KandT »

TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:30 pm Cars require maintenance.
We don't question that.
Physical bodies require maintenance.
We don't question that.
Our minds and psyche require maintenance.
That should not be thought of with guilt, or as an extravagant pleasure.
Good on you for finding what keeps you running.
Keep it up.
Thank you and I think you summed it up well with your metaphors.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I used to categorize all dance classes, events and shoes as "mental health budget." I still volunteered to get free lessons and events sometimes, but I didn't worry about saving the money vs spending it because it was money very well spent for quality of life.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

It's a luxury that proves to have value to you personally. That is what's important. A luxury can be defined in many ways on an individual basis. My guess is you will get to a point that you no longer feel the need for this luxury or the need for it as often.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

RE: Coaches and Mentors.

*As an aside:
Maybe in the "old days" a "life coach", after either or both of one's parents, was a "spouse" who got better and better at it after 40 years.
On TV, for "life coaches" there was, "Father Knows Best", "Leave It To Beaver" (you know Ward. . . ), "My Three Sons", "The Donna Reed Show", and "Lassie". . . . . (others?)
Albeit seemingly corny nowadays, they were good "role models" then.
*End aside.

As a "consumer issue", a "life coach" at $80 can be allocated on a per week basis (go 1x/week) from a personal budget.

As a consumer issue and lifestyle expense, isn't this similar to a "personal fitness coach", "fitness and medical rehab monthly cost", etc?
What would the average monthly budget be for those services?

In the past, I have had a monthly "golf coach" at $50 - $80 per session, "medical rehab coach at a copay of $26/month", Tai Chi and other "coaches", etc.

Mentors and Coaches in all areas are good things. The human entirety is plastic like "play dough", "like Gumbi". It takes consistent effort to keep it in shape.

Don't be a "floppy Gumbi". :shock:
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JPH

Post by JPH »

rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 pm Sounds like we're going into the unlicensed, snake oil realm here. Isn't there an app for this? I used to have a magic eight ball.
Ah, yes. The wonderous magic eight ball! Never fails me.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I married personal life coach. Not sure of costs but benefits are unmeasurable.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I used a coach in the past at critical junctures to help me gain clarity and found it highly beneficial. Sounds like it works for you. Don't fix it, it isn't broke.

Dave
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

what is a "Personal Life Coach"?
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

While my initial instinct is "snake oil, run!!" as I'm sure many here also feel, my rational self actually knows I'm wrong about this in your case.

I think ALL of us could use objective feedback on how we are approaching life's problems. Even if the other person isn't a 'world expert' on whatever you are talking about, if they are intelligent, compassionate, and can share their different viewpoints privately and openly without, there is great value in it.

The challenge is finding a good one, as most folks with such valued skills could and would make a lot more money doing something in the corporate/business world. But if you found one that works for you and feel like it's doing you good for not too much money ($80 sounds super reasonable!) I'd stick with it!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I have neighbors who have their own "life coaching" business, nice people but they are about the last people I would ask for advice in pretty much any aspect of life. It has to be somewhat successful as they support a family of 6 with the business as their sole source of income. I'd be really interested to know what is it they teach people.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I was browsing on-demand streaming options last night and ran across the Penn & Teller Showtime series Bull$#*!. They did an episode on this very topic about 15 years ago. Watching it now, so no opinion yet, but others may be interested.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0771117/
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

F150HD wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 am what is a "Personal Life Coach"?
Either:

Someone who has "walked the talk", learned experientially, and has already travelled the path you desire and both succeeded and failed along the way, and has your best interests at heart.

or

Someone who has take a course and has a certificate in "Life Coaching" and has written books and given seminars and has experience in "Life Coaching" others.

On Topic:
Life Coach = a personal consumer service.

Actionably: like any personal consumer product or service, it is wise to research what is available and authentic before buying.

surfstar

Post by surfstar »

tev9876 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:53 am I was browsing on-demand streaming options last night and ran across the Penn & Teller Showtime series Bull$#*!. They did an episode on this very topic about 15 years ago. Watching it now, so no opinion yet, but others may be interested.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0771117/
BS is great! They have an episode on vaccines also. And organic food. All the good stuff ;)
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

"if I go too long without talking with her I tend to stray from my good habits"
In my opinion I would expend some time and effort to determine why this is the case.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I think the tricky bit is finding the right one. Of course there are scams and people you don't want to take advice from but there are also intelligent and caring individuals who will actually try to help you. You might call it therapy or "rent a friend" or whatever but sometimes it helps to have someone more objective to talk to. That's a big part of what this place is about; you still have to sort out the bits that apply to yourself.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Seems like it would be pretty easy to tell if you are getting value or not. Would depend entirely on the relationship built with the person. Spouses, friends and professional mentors don't have licenses and are available at no cost but maybe OP wants more independent advice or doesn't have exactly the type of relationship with others.

I'm not sure I'm following the concerns about a scam unless the person being coached has cognitive decline or some other impairment that would make it difficult to assess the value of the service.
Last edited by stan1 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Mike Scott wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm I think the tricky bit is finding the right one. Of course there are scams and people you don't want to take advice from but there are also intelligent and caring individuals who will actually try to help you. You might call it therapy or "rent a friend" or whatever but sometimes it helps to have someone more objective to talk to. That's a big part of what this place is about; you still have to sort out the bits that apply to yourself.
Isn't this essentially unlicensed therapy? I know someone that essentially belongs to a cult because they don't want to see a shrink.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 am I have neighbors who have their own "life coaching" business, nice people but they are about the last people I would ask for advice in pretty much any aspect of life. It has to be somewhat successful as they support a family of 6 with the business as their sole source of income. I'd be really interested to know what is it they teach people.
A good life coach guides you to clarity, helps you set goals and outline the action steps to achieve those goals and then review and adjust as necessary. The best coaches teach nothing, give no advice but are fabulous listeners, and great facilitators. My best friend was a leadership consultant/management coach for CEO's, Business owners and upper level management. He shared his career and client stories with me over hundreds of 3 hour breakfast's and lunches. I learned so much from him and every story was facsinating. One of his "pearls of wisdom": "To assume that you know what's best for another is insulting". He never gave advice to his clients (he was a master of being able to draw out of them what they were thinking and he fed back to them the options they themselves arrived at. The client had to make the hard choices and live with them) many of whom he provided services for 20-30 years.

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

The therapists I know and would recommend are licensed to practice. I know some with licenses that I would not recommend as well.
You do realize that bogleheads itself falls onto the cult spectrum on some days and some topics...
rockstar wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm
Mike Scott wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm I think the tricky bit is finding the right one. Of course there are scams and people you don't want to take advice from but there are also intelligent and caring individuals who will actually try to help you. You might call it therapy or "rent a friend" or whatever but sometimes it helps to have someone more objective to talk to. That's a big part of what this place is about; you still have to sort out the bits that apply to yourself.
Isn't this essentially unlicensed therapy? I know someone that essentially belongs to a cult because they don't want to see a shrink.
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:55 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 am I have neighbors who have their own "life coaching" business, nice people but they are about the last people I would ask for advice in pretty much any aspect of life. It has to be somewhat successful as they support a family of 6 with the business as their sole source of income. I'd be really interested to know what is it they teach people.
A good life coach guides you to clarity, helps you set goals and outline the action steps to achieve those goals and then review and adjust as necessary. The best coaches teach nothing, give no advice but are fabulous listeners, and great facilitators. My best friend was a leadership consultant/management coach for CEO's, Business owners and upper level management. He shared his career and client stories with me over hundreds of 3 hour breakfast's and lunches. I learned so much from him and every story was facsinating. One of his "pearls of wisdom": "To assume that you know what's best for another is insulting". He never gave advice to his clients (he was a master of being able to draw out of them what they were thinking and he fed back to them the options they themselves arrived at. The client had to make the hard choices and live with them) many of whom he provided services for 20-30 years.

Dave
+1
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

Just out of curiosity, what services are you using. I'd also like to have something like this on many different aspects of our lives.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dave
+1
Great points!

Also a similar approach with a Zen Master/Roshi if one spent time under their tutelage.
Life Coach comes in so many different times and persons.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

Dave
This is so well articulated. Thank you, Dave!

The coaching industry is unregulated and you do run the risk of BS... I’ve seen plenty of it. But there are organizations which exist to establish credibility in the space, the leader of which is the International Coach Federation (ICF). Dave’s friend, whether ICF certified or not, sounds like he coaches in line with their defined competencies. A coach is definitely not an advice giver, guru, teacher, therapist or even mentor. Re-read Dave’s post for what a good coach does.

If you’re looking for a real coach, I suggest working with someone who isn’t a “certified life coach” or similar (anyone can claim that), but rather has the ICF’s ACC, PCC or MCC designation.

There are surely great coaches who aren’t ICF affiliated, but there are relatively few ICF coaches who aren’t great.

Sincerely,
An ICF coach ;-)
squirm

Post by squirm »

Personally I wouldn't ask these types of questions here. It sounds like it's working whatever your doing so why bother even asking. A couple hundred bucks a month that helps you feel better and improves your outlook is cheap, and there's no drugs involved either (legal or illegal). Sounds like a win, win.
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

Given the pandemic situation everyone is currently facing, a coach or "sounding board" is very essential. Not only for adults but also for school children. I'd not mind spending money for someone to just listen to my children who in a remote setting do not have teachers or friends to turn to. Sometimes personal issues with parents can become awkward and they would rather have a third person to listen to them.
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

formerlybroke wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 pm
If she keeps you on point and you feel like it’s productive, it doesn’t matter what anyone here thinks. And I charge 5x that hourly rate, so more power to you. :happy
What do you do that you charge 400/hour?
coffeeblack

Post by coffeeblack »

If it's working for you and they are qualified to give proper coaching (Not giving advice that can actually hurt you) then it's fine.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I spend a fair amount of time optimizing my life and would never trust this most important task to another person. In my opinion, reading long-form books, long-form articles, and listening to long podcasts is superior to the snippets of information from social media, news sources, or a coach. I read and listen slowly, stop frequently, and make notes of important facts and actions to take.

Here are some sources I recommend:

1. Being organized:
Cal Newport's books and podcast.

2. Habits:
James Clear "Atomic Habits"
BJ Fogg "Tiny Habits"

3. Learning:
Scott H. Young's book "Ultralearning," blog, and podcast.
Scott also has excellent information on being organized, motivation, productivity, and other topics.

4. Meditation:
Dan Harris's book "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics."

5. Classics and other thoughtful books:
Read physical books to understand what drives people and compare it to your life.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:32 pm I spend a fair amount of time optimizing my life and would never trust this most important task to another person. In my opinion, reading long-form books, long-form articles, and listening to long podcasts is superior to the snippets of information from social media, news sources, or a coach. I read and listen slowly, stop frequently, and make notes of important facts and actions to take.

Here are some sources I recommend:

1. Being organized:
Cal Newport's books and podcast.

2. Habits:
James Clear "Atomic Habits"
BJ Fogg "Tiny Habits"

3. Learning:
Scott H. Young's book "Ultralearning," blog, and podcast.
Scott also has excellent information on being organized, motivation, productivity, and other topics.

4. Meditation:
Dan Harris's book "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics."

5. Classics and other thoughtful books:
Read physical books to understand what drives people and compare it to your life.

Victoria
Good stuff, I've read all the mentioned books (and then some).
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Dave
I don’t see how what you describe is necessarily different from what can be gained from traditional (and licensed) psychotherapy.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

F150HD wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 am what is a "Personal Life Coach"?
A superset of the Mentor/Protege
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

coffeeblack wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:42 pm
formerlybroke wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:44 pm
What do you do that you charge 400/hour?
Business coach/mentor. And technically it’s $400/50-minutes. :happy
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

marcwd wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Dave
I don’t see how what you describe is necessarily different from what can be gained from traditional (and licensed) psychotherapy.
This is where I am at in this discussion. Best to just see a licensed therapist.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Dave
In the case of my friend, he was "coaching/consulting" business managers and owners many of whom were at a critical crossroads and unclear of how to move forward, whether it being a partnership contemplating firing one of the partners, or a CEO contemplating expanding the business, or a group of VP's unsure how to confront a toxic CEO. Having expertise in Leadership training, organizational dynamics and business in general is a must to be able to understand the language, concepts and general landscape that comes in a business setting. I doubt that traditional psychotherapists are trained in business and management. Being a great listener though is a skill that is required both of coach's and psychotherapists.

Dave
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Dave
In the case of my friend, he was "coaching/consulting" business managers and owners many of whom were at a critical crossroads and unclear of how to move forward, whether it being a partnership contemplating firing one of the partners, or a CEO contemplating expanding the business, or a group of VP's unsure how to confront a toxic CEO. Having expertise in Leadership training, organizational dynamics and business in general is a must to be able to understand the language, concepts and general landscape that comes in a business setting. I doubt that traditional psychotherapists are trained in business and management. Being a great listener though is a skill that is required both of coach's and psychotherapists.

Dave
From the sounds of it, your friend is a management consultant, not a life coach. There's a big difference.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

I've used a guy name Matt Foley for a long time

He's done a great job keeping me from living in a van down by the river.

:D

----------------------------------
remember Enron?? I do
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

JPH wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 am
rockstar wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 pm Sounds like we're going into the unlicensed, snake oil realm here. Isn't there an app for this? I used to have a magic eight ball.
Ah, yes. The wonderous magic eight ball! Never fails me.
“Doubtful”
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

new2bogle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:44 pm
Dave55 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Dave

Dave
From the sounds of it, your friend is a management consultant, not a life coach. There's a big difference.
Technically he was not a life coach. But he used methods/techniques that a life coach uses when called for.

Dave
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

No, no expenditure remotely similar here.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dave
Hi Dave -

Could not agree more! I think a mentor is HUGE! I still have an awesome relationship with my first supervisor out of college. In fact I hired his firm to now help my company where I am CFO.

Relationships count and matter.

I have also learned as time has gone on to spend my hours surrounding myself with very successful people. The lessons are awesome, the relationships built, and the growth of a network is imperative (especially in today’s competitive world). Time is limited and I don’t even want to bother anymore with negativity and short sidedness.

Happy New Year!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

Dave
Maybe ask one of the many, many licensed psychotherapists that also seek coach training and certification. It’s a fairly popular move. They surely wouldn’t do it for no reason.