Olive Oil

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Olive Oil

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

Do you have a favorite olive oil to recommend? preferably peppery, earthy, full of flavor?
cainxinth

Re: Olive Oil

Post by cainxinth »

Are you near NY? Fairway market has its own line of olive oils from around the world, with a variety to match every taste. Been buying from them for years. Their Greek Koroneiki Unfiltered is a great, but not exorbitantly priced, dipping oil.
Teague

Post by Teague »

California Olive Ranch, Miller's Blend.
Semper Augustus
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Kirkland brand from Costco :twisted:
It's very good on the body, especially joints after a hard day, good for skin as well. We use it in the kitchen too, found it very good for the purposes we have.
Life Is Good

Post by Life Is Good »

Teague wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:44 am California Olive Ranch, Miller's Blend.
This one. It's #1 according to America's Test Kitchen as well.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Giant discussion a few days ago......

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331279
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Lots of discussions, search previous threads.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

My personal favorite bar none - Tonda Spedalotta.

It's like magic for italian and similar mediterranean foods. Use it to finish pastas, sauces, etc., and it's like your cooking just went next-level.

This paired with a good Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper over pasta alone is amazingly good.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I like an olive oil that has a slightly peppery taste. I have no recommendations.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Life Is Good wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:00 pm
This one. It's #1 according to America's Test Kitchen as well.
This is also my favorite. For a brief period of time during the pandemic, I had difficulty finding this specific oil. This reminds me to start looking for my next bottle now, just in case.

I also use California Olive Ranch's general "everyday" olive oil for the higher-heat recipes, like roasted potatoes, roasted bell peppers, or stir fry.
WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout »

We tend to go through a lot of olive oil, so we like to balance quality with cost. We're fans of the Kirkland EVOO previously mentioned, however our more everday olive oil is Trader Joe's 100% Greek Kalamata. At around $9 for a liter, it works on many levels.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

Do you live anywhere near where olives are grown? We get our olive oil from a farmer, grown and pressed locally. So much better than what you can find in the stores.
Asset Allocation: VT
Bogle7

Local Olive Oil

Post by Bogle7 »

Prahasaurus wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 amDo you live anywhere near where olives are grown? We get our olive oil from a farmer, grown and pressed locally.
That is just not fair.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Elysium wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:47 am Kirkland brand from Costco :twisted:
It's very good on the body, especially joints after a hard day, good for skin as well. We use it in the kitchen too, found it very good for the purposes we have.
When I was in high school a lot of the boys oiled their hair: think of the movie "Grease." My dad told me that olive oil would give me great hair and I tried it. My mom quickly set me straight!
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

lightheir wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:47 pm My personal favorite bar none - Tonda Spedalotta.

It's like magic for italian and similar mediterranean foods. Use it to finish pastas, sauces, etc., and it's like your cooking just went next-level.

This paired with a good Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper over pasta alone is amazingly good.
I checked this out, and almost ordered some from Amazon, then saw it was from the fall 2019 harvest. Do you think it would be better to wait for the fall 2020 harvest? I don't know how much it matters considering it is sealed, but we're already talking 15 months out.

Where do you get yours?

Thanks

AD
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Artful Dodger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm
lightheir wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:47 pm My personal favorite bar none - Tonda Spedalotta.

I checked this out, and almost ordered some from Amazon, then saw it was from the fall 2019 harvest. Do you think it would be better to wait for the fall 2020 harvest? I don't know how much it matters considering it is sealed, but we're already talking 15 months out.

Where do you get yours?

Thanks

AD
Not an olive oil expert here, but I'd suspect 2019 would be fine -that's when I started using it and loved it.

I got mine first at Whole Foods but it disappeared soon after, last batch I ordered online from "Best Olive Oils" in a case for about $40/each - go with whatever vendor you choose, I only chose them because they were available, not because I know good things about them.

I'd also recommend you get the 'right' Tonda olive oil - apparently there are several types but the one I am referring to comes specifically in this thin bottle, and I believe does not come in other sizes:

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

(copied from my post on "Is Our Olive Oil Real?" thread)

My wife and I have been using Bariani Olive Oil (and their balsamic) for nearly 20 years, now. It is a wonderful, California olive oil. We first learned of them when they were featured on Martha Stewart's (long gone) TV show. The Bariani's are from northern Italy, originally. And, some years back they took over - and fully revived - olive groves outside of San Francisco. We order online through their website about once per year - to get our stash of olive oil and balsamic.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

lightheir wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Where do you get yours?

Thanks

AD
Not an olive oil expert here, but I'd suspect 2019 would be fine -that's when I started using it and loved it.

I got mine first at Whole Foods but it disappeared soon after, last batch I ordered online from "Best Olive Oils" in a case for about $40/each - go with whatever vendor you choose, I only chose them because they were available, not because I know good things about them.

I'd also recommend you get the 'right' Tonda olive oil - apparently there are several types but the one I am referring to comes specifically in this thin bottle, and I believe does not come in other sizes:

Thanks,

Yes, that was the one available on Amazon - the "Iblea"
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

cainxinth wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:43 am Are you near NY? Fairway market has its own line of olive oils from around the world, with a variety to match every taste. Been buying from them for years. Their Greek Koroneiki Unfiltered is a great, but not exorbitantly priced, dipping oil.
Fairway closed and sold its locations to the Shoprite organization early in 2020. https://patch.com/new-york/upper-west-s ... her-stores
I assume they renamed the stores and no longer sell Fairway house brands?

How I miss Fairway!

Our go to olive oil is Trader Joe's California EVOO. Used to be California Estate EVOO, but the bottle and taste are the same.

Edited to include correct link
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

organic kirkland
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I don't know what blends we buy but we have been buying California Olive Ranch for years.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
radiokurt

Post by radiokurt »

This is an endless and deep hole that one call fall into. Like wine, coffee, etc.

If you are just looking for good quality, we like California Olive Ranch and/or Kirkland.

BTW, there is alot of shenanigans going on here.

https://www.mashed.com/281801/the-real- ... ably-fake/
gregwils

Post by gregwils »

Corto
Teague

Post by Teague »

I just came across a new-to-me product at Costco that meets the OP's stated requirements:

Kirkland brand organic extra virgin Terra di Bari Bitonto. Product of Italy, 2019-2020 harvest, DOP. 1 liter container. This is quite different than the other Kirkland olive oils that I've used for years.
Semper Augustus