Best way to price my used car to sell?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
relentless1

Best way to price my used car to sell?

Post by relentless1 »

Should I use Kelley Blue Book, Edmonds?

Whats the best source?

thanks
DS03

Re: Best way to price my used car to sell?

Post by DS03 »

I'd use several sources & combine. Cars.com, Autotrader.com & Craigslist (if an older model) can give you an idea what similar cars are selling for, plus the services you mentioned for your specific vehicle value.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Edmunds now has a connection with CarMax, so if you get on Edmunds and ask for an appraisal of your used car, after asking a few questions, they will give you an offer from the local CarMax. Or at least they did for us. When we took the car into CarMax they inspected it to confirm how I answered the questions, and gave me a check on the spot. I should say I thought the offer was quite generous.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Craigslist.

If you use Car Gurus, you'll get prices 50% more than a private party will pay. Car Max and Carvana will be near 1/3 to 1/2 what Car Gurus average asking prices are.

At least with Craigslist, you have a good chance of seeing cars people actually want to sell soon.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I recently sold a vehicle and used KBB and Edmunds to price it. Both were close in value. I made an educated estimation based on my opinion on it's condition. I ended up selling it within a week to a high school kid who offered me $500 less than I priced it at. I took his offer since he was so responsible and brave to try to negotiate.
scooter

Post by scooter »

I used Kelley Blue Book, Edmonds and was honest about condition,

Also searched Carmax as to what they were selling car for and hit middle of road price.

Sold it on Craig's list after posting a picture and received 6 inquires in two days
Gave first caller first choice and when he asked what my best price was, I told him it was firm and showed him all people next in line and he committed on the the spot.

Went and bought new car on internet after deciding exactly what I wanted.
scooter

Post by scooter »

I used Kelley Blue Book, Edmonds and was honest about condition,

Also searched Carmax as to what they were selling car for and hit middle of road price.

Sold it on Craig's list after posting a picture and received 6 inquires in two days
Gave first caller first choice and when he asked what my best price was, I told him it was firm and showed him all people next in line and he committed on the the spot.

Went and bought new car on internet after deciding exactly what I wanted.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

No matter which you use (NADA, KBB, edmunds, etc)

1. Determine the "trade in" value (or carmax type 'cash')
2. Determine your private party value

Price it in-between and at least high enough to be worth the effort of selling it yourself.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

my mom was going to trade her car (honda) in for a newer honda at the dealership. She knew the value of the car via kbb, and got an offer (lower) from the honda dealer. I suggested she get an offer from carmax and carvana. she got an offer from carmax and the online estimate from carvana was highest, but she didn't want to wait to schedule for them to come out. So she used the offer from carmax to get the honda dealer to accept that higher offer. she felt good about that.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
gofishdw

Post by gofishdw »

Recently sold a Subaru, best price from Carvana, second was Carmax and last was Subaru dealer.
Others sites I'm told are good, but I didn't try, retailmyride.com and givemethevin.com
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I used a retired "auto nut" who has built a small auto brokerage business. He surveyed different sources to set the price, handled all the marketing, took all phone calls, and solved a problem at the closing that would have otherwise killed the deal. I got about $2000 more than I expected, after paying his fee.

If that is an option for you, you might consider it.