What exactly are YOU doing in retirement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
formerlybroke

What exactly are YOU doing in retirement?

Post by formerlybroke »

Retirement for me (60 y/o) is financially and attitudinally well within reach - with one major consideration:

What the heck will I be doing with my time?

While my original plan was extensive world travel, courtesy of covid that will have to wait.

So I ask you Bogleheads:
-What are you doing to stay mentally, physically and socially engaged during your retirement?
-What activities do you participate in?
-How do you spend your time?

Your insights are appreciated!
Last edited by formerlybroke on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: What exactly are YOU doing in retirement?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

formerlybroke:

My "spare" time is spent trying to help investors on the Bogleheads Forum!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Success, in short, can be measured not in what we attain for ourselves, but in what we contribute to our society."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:13 pm My "spare" time is spent trying to help investors on the Bogleheads Forum!
Thanks Taylor - what's occupies your time that isn't "spare" (assuming your retired) and if you don't mind the question.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

My job ended 1Q19 (company sold - stayed for the severance package). My wife wanted to work until the end of 2019 so she would have 40 quarters of earnings. I figured I would find a similar job for a while. Then we would move abroad. Fast forward to today. Due to the panademic we are persona non grata. I've given up looking for a job so I guess I'm retired. My wife is still working until the travel restrictions are lifted. Would I rather be working? Yes. Moving abroad would give us the opportunity to explore a new city (Bangkok, Saigon, etc.) or relax at the beach (Khao Lak, Da Nang, etc.). Sitting here in Las Vegas? Bored to tears. The highlight of my day is when I can go back to sleep.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:19 pm Bored to tears. The highlight of my day is when I can go back to sleep.
Yikes, appreciate the honesty.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

Not much. I retired just when Covid started so I wonder now how much of my sitting around is due to retirement and how much is due to Covid restrictions. In many ways it would be easier to still be working.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm
7eight9 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:19 pm Bored to tears. The highlight of my day is when I can go back to sleep.
I’m not retired, but this is my biggest remaining fear.....

I’m planning to move, and will likely buy a rundown house,then spend 6 months to a year remodeling it. So that sounds fun. Not sure what I will do after that’s complete though.....
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm Retirement for me (60 y/o) is financially and attitudinally well within reach - with one major consideration:

While my original plan was extensive world travel, courtesy of covid that will have to wait.

So I ask you Bogleheads:
A -What are you doing to stay mentally, physically and socially engaged during your retirement?
B -What activities do you participate in?
C -How do you spend your time?

You insights are appreciated!
Retirement at a similar age 58 . . sort of.

1 I would have stayed in business if not for health reasons. Love being in business. Love investing. Never felt like "work". Fun.
2 Leisure life and idleness, etc, did not appeal to me. (see #1) So, I was very concerned as you are.

So:
A) Own a mini ranch with DW where there is so much to do, fun and not so fun, that every day is interesting and fun and full.
B) Have engaging hobbies and pastimes new and old, and a circle of friends and family to share them with.
C) Family time is great time, grandkids a plus.
D) *With age and retirement, comes more doctors and medical acquaintances and things to attend to.

Actionably:
(traveling and material purchases can only go so far so. . . .?)
a) Find causes greater than oneself, outside of oneself. Things that do not have an end for personal growth and reward. IE: "Boglehead forum contribution and learning.
b) Take on learning and personal improvement challenges. What do you "not know"? What are you junk at?
c) Mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Only you can tend to that yourself for yourself. . . yet others reap the reward of that as well.
d) Fore Example: take Tai Chi classes and keep doing that, practice guitar and bad singing and keep doing that, learn a language and keep doing that. . .buy a camera and photo gear then get really good at that. . .
. . . and as you do all that. . . do it with others. . . . :D :D
e) Start a business or buy an apartment building. . . that should keep you reallllll busy. . . (kidding). :oops:

A wise poster here had inputted that it would be a good idea to take care of the things that require the most physical health and effort early in retirement while one's parts were all still working, then taper down those activities in proportion to physical and cognitive decline.

If I look too idle, DW will tell me something to do from ,”The List” :shock: :shock:
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:16 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:13 pm My "spare" time is spent trying to help investors on the Bogleheads Forum!
Thanks Taylor - what's occupies your time that isn't "spare" (assuming your retired) and if you don't mind the question.
formerlybroke:

I don't have much "spare time". Nevertheless, I enjoy the luxury of sleeping late. I also enjoy reading and watching news on TV. I do our laundry (I once worked in the washroom of the Miami Laundry), bring in the mail, and take out our garbage.

We live in a condominium next door to the property where I lived as a boy so I love to walk around our neighborhood where I grew up. The highlight of my week is Monday when my two remaining sons (one died) take me to an extravagant lunch at various restaurants and hotels.

I have enjoyed a wonderful life and I am very grateful--especially to the Bogleheads who have said so many kind words.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom in "Don't Count On It": "I close my list of Heroes and Mentors: Taylor Larimore, a member of the Greatest Generation...." Thank you, Jack.
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I haven't been paid for my time for a few years now.

I have several volunteer positions.

I write a bit.

I go for long walks and bike rides.

I play active video games.

Sometimes I take naps.

I geek out on youtube channels that interest me.

I do things for my boat, on my boat and with my boat.

I read, although not as much as I used to as a literature professor.

I practice meditation and yoga.

I very, very rarely think "Huh, I'm kind of bored!"

Which reminds me, I need to go run an errand so that we can do a boat project on Christmas Day!
ForeverPunjabi

Post by ForeverPunjabi »

Do you at least get a good night's sleep? Priceless.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Practicing guitar. Reading. Exercising. Keeping in touch with friends and family. Bogleheads forum.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I retired 10 years ago at age 58. Love it. I can't imagine a life so devoid of things to do that would cause me to want to go back to work!

I get up at a reasonable hour, have a cup of coffee, check out my investments and accounts, have another cup of coffee, do a workout or go out for a run, take a shower, do some on-line language lessons, and by that time it's around noon and time for breakfast / brunch / lunch. By afternoon it's time for me to tinker around my workshop, do maintenance and home improvement projects (major and minor), take care of the cars, yard work, volunteer, shopping, etc. And those are the days that there is nothing unusual in planned such as a doctor or dentist appointment, travel, shopping with DW, etc. In the evening there are a handful of TV shows that we watch when in season. I'm also in regular contact with a couple groups of good friends. (mostly via zoom in recent months).

In the early days of retirement, people would ask "How do you fill your days?" I had a hard time not taking this as an insult. Kind of like asking me to account for myself. I fumbled for an answer, such as "I do whatever I want", "anything but go to work", or "I'm so busy I can't figure out how I ever had time to work". I finally decided the best answer was to recite some version of the above paragraph.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm While my original plan was extensive world travel, courtesy of covid that will have to wait.
Me too! I retired seven years ago. I spent the first year sorting out a lot of family and financial stuff, and then I implemented my plan to travel. I made nine trips to Europe in the following five years, and then.... I was grounded by covid.

Now I stay home and entertain myself by cooking, working out, walking, and reading bogleheads and other blogs. I'm going to take a cautious approach to resuming travel, so I doubt I'll make any trips until 2022.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm
Dreaming of having an exciting dream whole day!
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

7eight9 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:19 pm My job ended 1Q19 (company sold - stayed for the severance package). My wife wanted to work until the end of 2019 so she would have 40 quarters of earnings. I figured I would find a similar job for a while. Then we would move abroad. Fast forward to today. Due to the panademic we are persona non grata. I've given up looking for a job so I guess I'm retired. My wife is still working until the travel restrictions are lifted. Would I rather be working? Yes. Moving abroad would give us the opportunity to explore a new city (Bangkok, Saigon, etc.) or relax at the beach (Khao Lak, Da Nang, etc.). Sitting here in Las Vegas? Bored to tears. The highlight of my day is when I can go back to sleep.
I detected some sarcasm for sure, but still.

Why would you need to move overseas to explore new cities? I agree the pandemic has imposed its limitations on travel (air travel mainly), but next week my wife and I are going to pull out of the driveway with no firm plans of where we’re going or when we’re coming back. Could be a week, could be a month. Or more.

There’s lots to see right here in good ole US of A.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70/30 AA. No mortgage. Simplicity is key.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

sailaway wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:57 pm I haven't been paid for my time for a few years now.

I have several volunteer positions.

I write a bit.

I go for long walks and bike rides.

I play active video games.

Sometimes I take naps.

I geek out on youtube channels that interest me.

I do things for my boat, on my boat and with my boat.

I read, although not as much as I used to as a literature professor.

I practice meditation and yoga.

I very, very rarely think "Huh, I'm kind of bored!"

Which reminds me, I need to go run an errand so that we can do a boat project on Christmas Day!
If you skip any of your activities on the list, could you notice and which one?
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:34 pm
7eight9 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:19 pm My job ended 1Q19 (company sold - stayed for the severance package). My wife wanted to work until the end of 2019 so she would have 40 quarters of earnings. I figured I would find a similar job for a while. Then we would move abroad. Fast forward to today. Due to the panademic we are persona non grata. I've given up looking for a job so I guess I'm retired. My wife is still working until the travel restrictions are lifted. Would I rather be working? Yes. Moving abroad would give us the opportunity to explore a new city (Bangkok, Saigon, etc.) or relax at the beach (Khao Lak, Da Nang, etc.). Sitting here in Las Vegas? Bored to tears. The highlight of my day is when I can go back to sleep.

Why would you need to move overseas to explore new cities? I agree the pandemic has imposed its limitations on travel (air travel mainly), but next week my wife and I are going to pull out of the driveway with no firm plans of where we’re going or when we’re coming back. Could be a week, could be a month. Or more.

Agreed. Indoor dining still feels dangerous, but you can get in your car, stay in hotels (I think this reasonably safe ....) do takeout and eat in the hotel room etc.

Not as cool as a trip to Europe or Asia perhaps, but exploring parts of the US by car is not exactly the worst thing in the world.

I do think the pandemic + spare time is much harder on people who don't like outdoor activities (walking, hiking, running, golfing, etc etc).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

In 2020 I didn't get to do everything I planned, but I went social distancing backpacking for about 60 days in 2020. I also gave some Zoom lectures, mowed the yard, published some things, improved my running skills, made new friends, helped some folks with investing, ....

Now that I listed this stuff, it is all the stuff I did in 2019 and will do in 2021 but with a slightly different flavor.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

As little as possible.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Daily exercise routine, cook, bake, read, visit with friends (much more pre covid), clean house since covid began, and some complimentary personal coaching/mentoring/consulting. Never bored.

Dave
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

TN_Boy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:40 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Agreed. Indoor dining still feels dangerous, but you can get in your car, stay in hotels (I think this reasonably safe ....) do takeout and eat in the hotel room etc.

Not as cool as a trip to Europe or Asia perhaps, but exploring parts of the US by car is not exactly the worst thing in the world.

I do think the pandemic + spare time is much harder on people who don't like outdoor activities (walking, hiking, running, golfing, etc etc).
I completely agree with your comment about spending time outdoors. I feel like every retiree should have a bike, kayak or sup, a good pair of hiking shoes and ideally a gym at home or a membership to one to exercise on days when the weather isn’t great.

Exercise can lead to several hobbies alone.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70/30 AA. No mortgage. Simplicity is key.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I find it hard to believe I am in year seven of retirement. Most of my adult life I have not experienced boredom, except when forced to sit through some business meetings. So, boredom is not a problem for me.

Even before the pandemic I was not volunteering as much as I'd intended, but that is always an option. I have been enjoying travel (well, hope to again) and planning travel. Organizing a lifetime of "stuff." Reading. Doing nothing, sometimes.

Before retiring I started making a list of "thing I could do in retirement." From big (classes and international trips) to small (local sights to visit, projects) to mundane (clean out the garage). So far I have not found the need to consult the list to dig up something to fill my time. Start making your list now ... but maybe you will never actually need it.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

I think at 60+ you can just take it easy... You just take your time with everything, and time just flies. At earlier ages, this seems like a waste, but at some age I think it's ok. Between getting up late, taking time with chores, shopping for good food, cooking, exercise, TV & movies, hobbies, medical appointments, etc. time will fly.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Retired (ish) 9 months, time has been filled by:
Relocation including move coordination/sale of previous house/organize new house/punch list
Explore natural environment surroundings through day hiking and several safe trips to nearby national parks
Reconnect with old friends via email/phone
Walk the dog 2-4 miles each day
Work out
Medical stuff
Light networking that is leading to a growing amount of consulting
Manage investments
Grieve for father who died of COVID
Volunteer with SCORE/Give Blood
Watch Lakers win championship, and now try to do it again
Meet and Socialize (safe/outdoors) with new neighbors
MP173

Post by MP173 »

OP:

The replies here are solid in two obvious camps. Those who have adapted well to retirement and those who either havent or are concerned (still working). More so with the adapted group.

I am still working, had given thought to retirement about a year ago, but thankfully did not, as I was not ready. This year has been an interesting one for me,as it allowed me to work from home and to consider the situation if I was not working...how would the time be used. Came to the realization...not ready to retire.

I also read a book - "The New Retirementality" by Mitch Anthony in which he addresses your questions with a worksheet type book.

Good luck.

Ed
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I decided to study things I never knew much about.
(1) Middle Ages history
(2) Cosmology
(3) Meteorology
(4) Economics
(5) Family genealogy
and many other subjects...

That, along with travel, cooking, family, I’m rarely bored.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I quit working over eight years ago and sometimes feel as if I need to retire from some of my hobbies and volunteer gigs to give me some more free time again.

From what I have seen like the post above, people generally fall into two groups. There is a groups such as myself that seem to always find things to do and are never bored to tears. Then there is another group that just needs more structure in their lives to feel meaningful. Neither is right or wrong and getting someone to switch between groups is impossible. Find out what group you are in and enjoy retirement.
klondike

Post by klondike »

I have not retired yet but I’m planning to live in a hobby farm to keep some farm animals, have a small auto shop with a two-post lift to work on cars, and have a electronics lab to work on fun stuffs.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I took up hiking and photography.
I volunteer.
I'm getting another degree. I've always loved learning.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I retired in 2018 and haven't been bored for even a minute. I have spent my time:

traveling or planning travel vacations
hiking
running with a running group - we were running half marathons before COVID hit this year
gardening
doing puzzles
learning another language
home maintenance
reading
taking classes
being an officer in my local Toastmasters club
doing a year-long Yoga teacher training
singing

It is a great joy, every morning, to wake up to a long list of activities that I want to do, and at night, to go to sleep knowing I did them all.

OP, isn't there anything you want to do?
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Post-pandemic retirement activities now:

1. Walk for 3-4 miles 3 times a week
2. Pilates once a week
3. Lift weights once per week
4. Golf once per week
5. Audit university classes 2-3 times per week (now online only)
6. Take Osher Life Long Learning (OLLI) classes (no online only)
7. Director/Secretary of a Non-profit board.
8. Do all out-of-home shopping after masking/gloving/shielding up
9. Dust/vacuum/Clean toilets/sinks/showers

Pre-pandemic retirement activities:

Generally same as above, although activities were in-person. The main addition to above list is Travel and Travel-planning (both of which were very time-consuming).
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I ride my bike for a couple hours most every day that the weather allows. I walk the dog with DW. Spend more time with her. I'm working at learning a language. I'm ramping up for a volunteer activity over the winter. I feel like I am maybe busier than when I was working but I am in control of my schedule. I think it would feel even busier without the pandemic.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I have been retired for several years.
My normal day is NOT staying home all day - afraid to go to stores
[ I'd stay home but I have to buy groceries ].

My usual day of retirement --before pandemic --was this :

reading/writing/drawing
going to park or beach for morning/evening walks with my dog....
going to one of my volunteer jobs or teaching the drawing class I was paid to teach 1 day a week....
perhaps going shopping....and enjoying it!
perhaps having lunch with friends.....
or
perhaps have friends over to my house.....for lunch or tea or wine...
or
perhaps going to dance class..........
or
perhaps going to a movie or attending a seminar or lecture......
or
perhaps taking a trip.............

I still go to park 1-2 times per day to walk dog..
I still go to beach to walk..maybe 1 x a week with dog.....
I still read/write/draw each day and probably watch too much tv.....
I am cooking more/ baking bread again now / texting & emailing with friends more now.......
Toons

Post by Toons »

Drinking excellent coffee
Eating the food we enjoy
Staying comfortable temperature wise
Exercise a lot(bike,jog,walk)
Teaching myself Spanish
Teaching English to someone in Ecuador
Working with computers (phones,tablets,)
Investing,managing finances
Traveling about 6 months in a Class B rv
Watching youtube videos,,instructional,old movies,spanish lessons
Lawnwork
Handyman repairs around the house
helping the neighbors
Reading ,Reading ,Reading
listening to music
Spending Quality Time with the "better half"
Volunteer work...
And maybe at the top of the list
Sharing Love with the family and
LAUGHING AND SMILING
A lot
:wink: :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I am a volunteer minister at our church - this can be anything up to fulltime
I sell covered calls - takes a few hours a week
Read - couple of hours a day
Read on this website - couple of hours a week
Read on Seeking Alpha website - same
Go for a walk everyday - 30 mins/day
etc.
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:40 pm
formerlybroke wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm Retirement for me (60 y/o) is financially and attitudinally well within reach - with one major consideration:

So I ask you Bogleheads:
A -What are you doing to stay mentally, physically and socially engaged during your retirement?
B -What activities do you participate in?
C -How do you spend your time?

You insights are appreciated!
Retirement at a similar age 58 . . sort of.

1 I would have stayed in business if not for health reasons. Love being in business. Love investing. Never felt like "work". Fun.
2 Leisure life and idleness, etc, did not appeal to me. (see #1) So, I was very concerned as you are.

So:
A) Own a mini ranch with DW where there is so much to do, fun and not so fun, that every day is interesting and fun and full.
B) Have engaging hobbies and pastimes new and old, and a circle of friends and family to share them with.
C) Family time is great time, grandkids a plus.
D) *With age and retirement, comes more doctors and medical acquaintances and things to attend to.

Actionably:
(traveling and material purchases can only go so far so. . . .?)
a) Find causes greater than oneself, outside of oneself. Things that do not have an end for personal growth and reward. IE: "Boglehead forum contribution and learning.
b) Take on learning and personal improvement challenges. What do you "not know"? What are you junk at?
c) Mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Only you can tend to that yourself for yourself. . . yet others reap the reward of that as well.
d) Fore Example: take Tai Chi classes and keep doing that, practice guitar and bad singing and keep doing that, learn a language and keep doing that. . .buy a camera and photo gear then get really good at that. . .
. . . and as you do all that. . . do it with others. . . . :D :D
e) Start a business or buy an apartment building. . . that should keep you reallllll busy. . . (kidding). :oops:

A wise poster here had inputted that it would be a good idea to take care of the things that require the most physical health and effort early in retirement while one's parts were all still working, then taper down those activities in proportion to physical and cognitive decline.

If I look too idle, DW will tell me something to do from ,”The List” :shock: :shock:
+1 very solid info.
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Retired at 60 now 66. I work part-time teaching online geology (I am a geologist) at a 4 year college. I lead a men's Bible study for 9-month studies (now Zoom). During pre-COVID times, I spend time with these men in breakfast & luncheons. I did a lot of travel pre-COVID to National Parks. Participate in many online science/faith forums. Lots of reading. Now spend time riding bike and bought treadmill. Many hikes with wife. Moving in 2021 to be in same neighborhood with two grand-daughters. Participate in local Bogleheads chapter once/month. Lots of house projects, working with rocks and wood. I am blessed.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toons wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:08 pm Drinking excellent coffee
Eating the food we enjoy
Staying comfortable temperature wise
Exercise a lot(bike,jog,walk)
Teaching myself Spanish
Teaching English to someone in Ecuador
Working with computers (phones,tablets,)
Investing,managing finances
Traveling about 6 months in a Class B rv
Watching youtube videos,,instructional,old movies,spanish lessons
Lawnwork
Handyman repairs around the house
helping the neighbors
Reading ,Reading ,Reading
listening to music
Spending Quality Time with the "better half"
Volunteer work...
And maybe at the top of the list
Sharing Love with the family and
LAUGHING AND SMILING
A lot
:wink: :happy :happy
Epic!! :D :D

Merry Christmas :sharebeer

jim :D :D
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

So far, it has been a "Seinfeld" retirement...a retirement about nothing. Doing nothing and liking it.

But CV will come to an end, and DW will soon retire as well.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Not sure if I'm permanently retired, but upper 50s, not working, and little desire to work full time. Perhaps if I can find a part time / consulting gig. It will have to be something I enjoy. But not in any hurry. DW still works.

As to what I do:

- take / get hs son to school
- other activities with / for son
- sleep late when son doesn't have school
- occasional activities/tasks with/for college age daughter who lives nearby
- financial stuff / quicken /etc
-all household chores, housecleaning, laundry
- yard work/mowing, etc
- trying to get CPA biannual CPE completed self study
- working / looking to update estate plan
- researching other things regarding special needs son once he reaches adulthood.
- finished house refi
- occasionally give platelets and plasma- want to try to do that more regularly
- occasional walks 2-3 times a week
- Bogleheads and a couple of other forums (sports/politics)
- reading other periodicals- mostly on line on phone.
- Saturdays in fall is mostly college football watching day

Amazingly I was doing most of these while I was working, but perhaps less so, and found I was always juggling work and these, which was difficult.

Post covid I'd like to

- get back to going to gym at least several times a week
- travel to see out of state parents more often
- while the idea of other travel, including out of the country, seems appealing, with family responsibilities probably not likely any time soon
- I like the idea of volunteering to help people with financial stuff or tax work, or maybe some light teaching, but not sure that is something I will ever follow through with.
- work part time if appealing opportunity presents itself.
celia

Post by celia »

Take care of several elderly relatives and go to doctor appointments!

I want my retirement back!
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
westie

Post by westie »

retired at 55 -- 13 years ago

golf league 2/3 times a week

refinishing furniture

spending time with grandchildren

walking on the beach
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

My biggest things when I retire later this year will be exercising, traveling and playing golf. I'd love to learn to play piano and acoustic guitar. MY wife is a little younger and will work for 3 more years after I retire. I will have absolutely no problem spending a whole day doing nothing if that's what it takes. As long as I'm not working.
Last edited by MDfan on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I fall in the camp of not needing to find something to do. I like having nothing that needs to be done. Maybe one day I'll reach that goal. If I liked having to do things I probably would have kept on working for money. I like to do things, I just do not like having to do them - does that make sense? I retired about 6 months before covid hit. Obviously our plans have changed. I'm probably watching more TV than is good for me. I do isometric exercises sometimes while sitting around. I walk around, because I like walking. When I'm not busy doing nothing, I'm trying to de-clutter the house. When covid dwindles I'll see if we can reschedule cancelled trips. I think we'll likely loose deposits on some things, since we cancelled not them, but can't hurt to try.
So far I'm pretty happy doing virtually nothing.

edit: today I have to go pick up groceries for Christmas dinner. Honestly I would have been happy eating what we had. But I committed to doing it, so, here I go.
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds. Retired 9/19. Still working on mortgage payoff.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Learn jazz guitar.

However, as a lawyer in my firm who retired before me said, "by the time you walk the dog and go to the gym, the day's over." True.
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am Learn jazz guitar.

However, as a lawyer in my firm who retired before me said, "by the time you walk the dog and go to the gym, the day's over." True.
That is true, time can be easily consumed just with routine trivial stuff if you take things easy. The prospect of this kind of life may or may not be appealing depending on personality, though.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Not yet retired, but what I find interesting is that there is not one thing on anyone's list that cannot also be done while working.

I exercise.
I learn new things.
I get together with friends.
I read.
I volunteer.
I watch shows.
I work on house projects.

I think it's mostly because I'm an empty-nester and the child raising years are long past.

Alas, I don't think I will ever retire because the work I do is extremely important, fulfilling, and allows me to do all of the above. But, I'm not good at doing nothing either. I can waste time like crazy if I let myself dawdle too much.

I think I think about my legacy too much. What have I done to make the world a better place? What have I done to help another? For what was my life lived? Sure, self-care is important, but how/why does one remain idle?

Thank you to everyone for sharing the way they spend their lives. Interesting!
beandeveloper

Post by beandeveloper »

Been retired for 4 years. I'm almost 60.

-- "Sleep in" more than I used to. Get out of bed most mornings around 8:30 or so.
-- I'm the grocery shopper and cook in the family. Now I do those things MUCH more leisurely.
-- Ride my bike 2-3 hrs; 3-4x / wk.
-- Bike maintenance. I love learning and doing the work of keeping it clean, well adjusted and in tip-top shape.
-- Go for long walks when weather doesn't enable bike riding.
-- Joined a "pretty deep" book club with folks I used to work with. It challenges my mind.
-- I'm an avid target shooter. Spend time at the range as well as loading ammunition.
-- Got involved with a nonprofit. Ended up joining the board. Then became president of the board as org was in decline and almost folded. Ended up spending a good amount of time helping it get back on track. This is the most personally gratifying work I've ever been involved in.
-- Do yard work much more leisurely. (I don't like yard work.....but if I can do it at my own pace it's not so bad.....even enjoyable.)
-- Keep on top of the investments and make adjustments as necessary.
-- Browse this forum. Opens my mind to things I otherwise wouldn't encounter. Very humbling. What people have done here is inspiring.
-- Explore local recreational trails and hiking areas - things I knew existed but previously hadn't had the time to go do. (One day did a not-so-local: Drove two hours. Rode for a couple of hours. Drove the two hours home. Very relaxed.)
-- Worked on a technology problem that has rolled around in my head for years. Wanted to see if I could do it. With not working I finally had the time to really focus on it.
-- I have chronic migraines. Have been able to really up my game in trying to figure them out.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am Learn jazz guitar.

Outstanding!
Have you seen/listened to the youtube video of Joe Pass doing "Satin Doll"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno
Here's some solo jazz guitar (great tone) by Andy Brown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjoD_Wsd43U