Where to buy less expensive prescription pet meds?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Where to buy less expensive prescription pet meds?

Post by Kennedy »

My mother has a prescription from her dog's vet for a prescription med called apoquel. The vet charged her $61 for 21 pills. I had my mother call Costco for a quote, and Costco charges around $54 for 30 pills.

I'm wondering if there are other places that we can check (perhaps even online stores) that might be able to supply this prescription at an even better price but still give us confidence in the med's quality?
Nate79

Re: Where to buy less expensive prescription pet meds?

Post by Nate79 »

We use Costco so I will also be interested if someone has found somewhere cheaper.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

I used to use California Pet Pharmacy
Calico

Post by Calico »

I use Chewy.com. I took a look and apoquel on their site is $68.70 for 30 tablets. So Costco is cheaper, but with Chewy you can get put on auto ship and never have to pick up the pills again (the price goes down to $65, but it's still higher than your Costco quote).
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I always got the best price from Doctors Foster and Smith, but they've merged completely with PetCo now. My cat takes two relatively cheap medications (atenolol and clopidogrel), and I've never managed to get the best price on both from the same seller. Petco, Chewy, and 1-800-Pet-Meds are my usual sources.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Costco was the cheapest I could find for insulin for a cat I ended up losing a few years ago. None of the pet websites were as cheap nor was Good RX.

FWIW, I believe Cytopoint is a similar injectable version of Apoquel (for itchiness). Although it is also expensive, my sister said it works great on her dog and you don't have to worry about giving pills daily (injections are a couple months apart I think). I believe it's made by the same company (Zoetis). I researched this a while ago for my dog who had skin issues which were resolved by thyroid meds. Luckily, thyroid pills are fairly cheap so I get them through my vet.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/ ... index.aspx
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Buy from Canada! northwestpharmacy.com
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
duckcalldan

Post by duckcalldan »

I buy my dog’s Apoquel from Costco at the above -mentioned price.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

I try not to shop at WalMart but they tend to have the least expensive drug prices around here ($48.09 for 21 at 3.6 mg)

https://www.walmartpetrx.com/shoppingcart.aspx
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

FYI, you can use a good RX coupon for pet medications! Our dog has a monthly prescription that is the same dose and kind for humans so we can pull his prescription at our CVS pharmacy. Its really funny each month when he gets a phone call telling him his prescription is ready to pickup.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

vetapprovedrx has been good for prescription ear drops
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

Maybe check with a local pharmacy. Our local compounding pharmacy advertises that they do pet prescriptions.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I get prescription pet food from Chewy. You have to put in the vet's contact information and someone calls them.
mkc

Post by mkc »

hi_there wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:43 pm I get prescription pet food from Chewy. You have to put in the vet's contact information and someone calls them.
Any of the (legitimate) online resources will require a prescription from the veterinarian for Apoquel, since it's a prescription medication. Costco and Walmart would as well.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

We buy through an online pharmacy linked through our vet. Something like vetsfirstchoice.com. 100 16mg tablets are $223 delivered. Depending on the dosage the Costco looks like decent price.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

I have an older dog who needs anti-inflammatory meds. Both Walmart and Costco pharmacies offer some common pets meds. The difference between the vet's price and Costco for 30 pills is about $15. I guess I could press the matter with the vet and tell him I wanted to fill the prescription at Costco for the lower price. But I look at it this way. Veterinary medicine doesn't have the luxury of most of their clients being covered by insurance. And that makes it harder for veterinary practices to make it financially. The road to becoming a veterinarian is not easy. They go through most of the same rigorous academic requirements to get that DMV behind their names as a human doctor does for the MD. One has to have excellent academic credentials to get accepted by a school of veterinary medicine and most resort to big student loans to pay for their educations. The ones I've met are good people with big hearts for animals. So I just get my dog's meds from the vet. But I fully understand how someone on a tight budget would want to get the discounted price through a retail or online pharmacy.
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

clemrick wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm Our local compounding pharmacy advertises that they do pet prescriptions.
Before we lost our dog, she was on a cancer med that was exceedingly expensive. The compound option was much more ‘affordable’.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:25 pm I have an older dog who needs anti-inflammatory meds. Both Walmart and Costco pharmacies offer some common pets meds. The difference between the vet's price and Costco for 30 pills is about $15. I guess I could press the matter with the vet and tell him I wanted to fill the prescription at Costco for the lower price. But I look at it this way. Veterinary medicine doesn't have the luxury of most of their clients being covered by insurance. And that makes it harder for veterinary practices to make it financially. The road to becoming a veterinarian is not easy. They go through most of the same rigorous academic requirements to get that DMV behind their names as a human doctor does for the MD. One has to have excellent academic credentials to get accepted by a school of veterinary medicine and most resort to big student loans to pay for their educations. The ones I've met are good people with big hearts for animals. So I just get my dog's meds from the vet. But I fully understand how someone on a tight budget would want to get the discounted price through a retail or online pharmacy.
+1 Every vet I have used is very smart and loves animals. I've known a couple who like to discuss interesting research with me related to my pet's issues. I've heard getting into vet school is often more competitive vs. med school although I haven't seen data that supports that.

Agree with the point with someone who has budget issues. Makes sense to shop around.

I use my vet for my dog's thyroid meds (generic so more affordable) but she doesn't stock some things.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

mkc wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:48 pm
hi_there wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:43 pm I get prescription pet food from Chewy. You have to put in the vet's contact information and someone calls them.
Any of the (legitimate) online resources will require a prescription from the veterinarian for Apoquel, since it's a prescription medication. Costco and Walmart would as well.
What I mean, in case unclear, is that you need to get a prescription from the vet. Then, you notify Chewy of the vet's contact information upon making the order. Someone from Chewy will call the vet to verify the prescription.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:25 pm I have an older dog who needs anti-inflammatory meds. Both Walmart and Costco pharmacies offer some common pets meds. The difference between the vet's price and Costco for 30 pills is about $15. I guess I could press the matter with the vet and tell him I wanted to fill the prescription at Costco for the lower price. But I look at it this way. Veterinary medicine doesn't have the luxury of most of their clients being covered by insurance. And that makes it harder for veterinary practices to make it financially. The road to becoming a veterinarian is not easy. They go through most of the same rigorous academic requirements to get that DMV behind their names as a human doctor does for the MD. One has to have excellent academic credentials to get accepted by a school of veterinary medicine and most resort to big student loans to pay for their educations. The ones I've met are good people with big hearts for animals. So I just get my dog's meds from the vet. But I fully understand how someone on a tight budget would want to get the discounted price through a retail or online pharmacy.
While I agree in principal, my own vet would try to charge me ridiculous prices and was inept at actually having the medication in stock. I could call 10 days before needing something, and they still wouldn't have any by the time I ran out. I assume my request was completely ignored. That made supporting them impossible. It sounds like your vet actually knows how to run a business.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:52 pm
+1 Every vet I have used is very smart and loves animals. I've known a couple who like to discuss interesting research with me related to my pet's issues. I've heard getting into vet school is often more competitive vs. med school although I haven't seen data that supports that.

Agree with the point with someone who has budget issues. Makes sense to shop around.

I use my vet for my dog's thyroid meds (generic so more affordable) but she doesn't stock some things.
Thinking through it logically, there are many many more human medical schools than veterinary medical schools. I believe there are only a handful of accredited veterinary medical schools in America. Americans are known for our love of animals. So I bet the applications to get into veterinary schools are piled high for a minimal number of seats. I have spoken to veterinarians about their educations. All said it was incredibly competitive and a very rigorous curriculum. Only the best and brightest are accepted.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:03 pm
While I agree in principal, my own vet would try to charge me ridiculous prices and was inept at actually having the medication in stock. I could call 10 days before needing something, and they still wouldn't have any by the time I ran out. I assume my request was completely ignored. That made supporting them impossible. It sounds like your vet actually knows how to run a business.
I've owned animals all my life. Can't say I've ever had a difficult time obtaining common animal meds from any vet. I guess I've been lucky. But all of the vets I've used have been excellent in every way. If I did encounter a vet who wasn't able to make the grade - I'd just go find a good one. They're plentiful.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

We've used entirelypets.com extensively for years. We also used local pharmacies with a goodrx coupons (some of their deals are restricted to human use, but many are not). Doctors Foster & Smith, no longer around, was our second favorite. Other places to try that have good reputations: Chewy.com and 1-800-Petmeds.

For long-term prescription meds, every vet (big and small) we've ever used has actually encouraged us to use outside prescription sources. Usually after initial dosing to make sure the medicine is "right" for the case at hand. After that, they have always been very cooperative with the prescriptions themselves. 25 years, 4 vets, no issues. On heartworm and related, for the past 10 years or so, I've noticed our vets have generally gotten competitive with the online vendors anyway, so those we still buy locally.

edited to add: On your Apoquel specifically, our dog was on it relatively soon after its initial release, our vet's price was reasonable, and the online sources I found did not initially carry it. But now most do, including all 3 of those that I mentioned.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

https://discountpetmedication.biz/

Almost always found to be the cheapest.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Irrespective of dosage, consider discussing dosage and specific the specific Apoquil size available with your vet. For example, our small dog takes Apoquil daily. The vet originally prescribed a daily 3.6mg pill. However, after the first prescription fill the vet suggested that half of the 5.4mg pill (or 2.7mg) would be just as appropriate. So for the past year we have purchased the 5.4mg pills and broken them in half, which is very simple since the pills come scored.

While prices vary, it seems Chewy charges the SAME price for the 16mg, 5.4mg and 3.6mg versions of Apoquil in 30 day increments. In effect, they charge 440% more per mg for the smallest sized pill when compared to the largest dosage. This is a common occurrence, even with human Rx.

Bottom line - ask your vet if half of the larger dosage pill could be an appropriate option for your dog. By switching from 3.6mg to HALF of a 5.4mg daily, we have halved our daily cost and are delivering virtually the same vet approved treatment.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but I bought asthma inhalers for my previous cat from granville pharmacy based in canada now online as https://www.onlinecanadianpharmacy.com/ They are reputable. Nevada lets its government employees buy from them.

I forget the exact prices, but I think a two month inhaler cost $400 in the US and about $100 from them. You do need a prescription but your vet can send it to them electronically. Also some credit cards refuse to accept their charges, so I always had them take the charge directly from my checking account. I think I had to send them a voided check maybe to start this off, but if so they then kept the numbers on file.
mkc

Post by mkc »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:46 am

While prices vary, it seems Chewy charges the SAME price for the 16mg, 5.4mg and 3.6mg versions of Apoquil in 30 day increments.
That's actually from the manufacturer - they price the product the same regardless of per-pill-dosage. The intent, supposedly, that treatment shouldn't cost more just because the dog is larger (at least according to our veterinarian).
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

mkc wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:23 am
neilpilot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:46 am

While prices vary, it seems Chewy charges the SAME price for the 16mg, 5.4mg and 3.6mg versions of Apoquil in 30 day increments.
That's actually from the manufacturer - they price the product the same regardless of per-pill-dosage. The intent, supposedly, that treatment shouldn't cost more just because the dog is larger (at least according to our veterinarian).
That's fine - but the real purpose of my post above was to indicate how it maybe easy to pay 50% less for Apoquil if a half-pill dosage is appropriate.