Color laser printer - worth it for intermittent light use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightheir

Color laser printer - worth it for intermittent light use?

Post by lightheir »

My daughter in school is asking for a color laser printer. We'd only rarely use the color capability, for the sporadic rare school assignment.

I already have a good Brother BW laser printer that works very well. Again, we don't print much stuff at all, def NOT a heavy use environment.

The price range of $300-$600 isn't a problem for me, but I was impressed with how expensive the multiple toner cartridges went for - anywhere from $100 for a set of refurbished color cartridges, to $400-500 for a set of 3 new ones! (Costs more than the printer sometimes)

If anyone has any input or recommendations as to whether I should pass on this, or take the dive and not be annoyed by high maintenance costs, would be appreciated.
snailderby

Re: Color laser printer - worth it for intermittent light use?

Post by snailderby »

How often will she need to print something in color? Instead of buying a color printer, can she...

-- Go to UPS, FedEx, or a similar store;
-- Buy a color inkjet for less than $100 (toner included!); or
-- Print her assignment off at school?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:29 pm My daughter in school is asking for a color laser printer. We'd only rarely use the color capability, for the sporadic rare school assignment.
How rare is "rare"?
What does she do today when this "rare" condition occurs?

It's been many years since I have found an actual need for color printing. If I already owned a B&W laser printer, there's no way I'd purchase another printer for rare uses.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

snailderby wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:35 pm -- Buy a color inkjet for less than $100 (toner included!); or
I definitely wouldn't recommend this one, unless you're willing to buy a new $100 printer every time she needs to print in color. Inkjets that are not used regularly dry out and stop working.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I've had an HP color laser jet for 3 years and have yet to replace the toner cartridge(s).

I guess you'd need to read up on the Color laser jet printers - how the toner cartridge(s) work (can you just replace the Black or is it all the colors in one?) and how many pages you print (how long will the cartridge(s) last before you need to replace)?

Can your daughter print her occasional color prints on someone else's color printer? I do a couple of scans to pdf and print outs for relatives and friends every year.

I print maybe 500 pages a year... most B&W.
I was so fed up the drama and stress and expense of an "inexpensive" ink jet printer that I bought the laser jet (even though it was $350 back then). Inexpensive ink jet is a misnomer. Just like a "free" cat or dog or other pet isn't really free (there's lots of other expenses involved.)

I don't regret the big upfront "expense" - the printer/scanner ALWAYS works and prints when i turn it on (even if it sat dormant for 2 months). Worth every penny for the no drama/no stress printing/scanning.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:29 pm My daughter in school is asking for a color laser printer. We'd only rarely use the color capability, for the sporadic rare school assignment.

I already have a good Brother BW laser printer that works very well. Again, we don't print much stuff at all, def NOT a heavy use environment.

The price range of $300-$600 isn't a problem for me, but I was impressed with how expensive the multiple toner cartridges went for - anywhere from $100 for a set of refurbished color cartridges, to $400-500 for a set of 3 new ones! (Costs more than the printer sometimes)

If anyone has any input or recommendations as to whether I should pass on this, or take the dive and not be annoyed by high maintenance costs, would be appreciated.
https://www.costco.com/epson-ecotank-27 ... 04185.html

(or its big brother)

but with any ink jet, i have a printer page i print every week that uses each color and black.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have a nice HP that has probably had 20 pages printed on it in a year and half. So about $13/page so far.

But it did stop all the complaints about not being able to print in color, which is nearly priceless. :D
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

What grade-level is the student? That would be part of my decision. If she is in a school where teachers expect high level results, then it makes sense to support the education need. It would be important to reinforce the use of B/W over Color because of cost.

After the supplied low-yield cartridges run out it is a blow, about $100 x four. Good quality cartridges are the best in my opinion. Others may disagree but I always required as much reliability as I could get when my business was involved. I don't want ink problems or spilled toner or poor quality.

If you really mean rare assignment, then the 1st set of supplied cartridges might last a year or two I'm guessing. If you need a 2nd set, then you'd be looking at 3-5 years total before needing to buy again. This is based on -RARE- useage. Remember, the toner does not go bad and lasts a long time.

I have an HP but in this day and age I would look very carefully and compare brands and models. Price of replacement OEM cartridge would be one driver.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

For intermittent use, laser is much superior to ink as it doesn't dry up and clog. I think it depends on the justification -- is it required? Do printed graphics really need color?

Note that color laser printers are *not* good for photos, but are good for things like powerpoint slides. If you need photos printed at home, then the only reasonable choice is a color inkjet on photo paper (but for rare use and non-urgent printing, then sending a print to your neighborhood cvs/walgreens drug store is going to be cheaper and better)

I had a color laser that lasted for 11 years with intermittent use. It broke this summer and had only printed 800 pages, most of which were non-color. While it still had most of its starter toner, the transfer belt broke (tore apart) and a replacement is more than I'd paid for the printer. Rather than buy another color laser, I bought a monochrome duplexing laser.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I have had inkjets since the HP deskjet, if anyone can remember those.

But I don't remember the last time I printed photos, maybe 10 years ago...I also haven't had ink dry up in over ten years either.

The problem with inkjets, is they are made so cheap and everything is so flemsy.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I've had inkjets too and never worried about ink drying up. But I guess if this becomes a problem, wouldn't printing the test page once a week be sufficient?
Soon2BXProgrammer

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:55 pm I've had inkjets too and never worried about ink drying up. But I guess if this becomes a problem, wouldn't printing the test page once a week be sufficient?
Yes, a weekly test print that uses all 4 colors is sufficient to keep things in working order.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

I went through the same debate about a year ago. Ultimately decided on a multi-function color laser. I am a light user. So infrequent, that my ink would often dry up in my inkjet. Toner lasts indefinitely and the speed and quality is impressive.
Topic Author
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

OP here - I have had at least 4 inkjet color printers in the last 15 years. Every single one dried out after several months of non-use, with clogged cartridges. Even if they have improved the inkjet technology today, it would take some SERIOUS convincing for me to go that route again!

I was originally just planning to do any color printing at the UPS STore, etc, but honestly, even if I only do it 5 times, my time is worth more than the effort to drive out there, coordinate all the stuff, and print it. I'll glady pay $600 to never go through that repeated hassle.

Daughter is in 4th grade right now, would be planning to use it long-term from here. I can't imagine she'd be printing more than 50, possibly 75 pages per year (assuming we use my BW for most normal printing.)
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I mean I’m not sure why you’d need to spend $600. I have a 3140cdw brother that I believe I paid $199 for 6 or 7 years ago at Staples. I’m sure you can get the newest version of that for a similar price. No, it won’t print photo quality but if you’re looking for colorized excel spreadsheets it gets the job done.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm
Daughter is in 4th grade right now, would be planning to use it long-term from here. I can't imagine she'd be printing more than 50, possibly 75 pages per year (assuming we use my BW for most normal printing.)
With that information I think the color laser printer would be useful to her, the rest of the household might find it useful also at times also, and I would get it if you can afford it. Nice Christmas present for the household. Once you have it I would not try to ration toner. My employer defaulted all color printers to B&W which just means a number of extra mouse clicks to print materials which are mostly in color.
Soon2BXProgrammer

I forgot to mention, for my ink jet, i know the OP doesn't want one.. but i just use this..

https://www.finnie.org/2018/10/24/cmyk- ... est-sheet/

This is enough print usage, if printed once a week on a schedule, that I never get clogs.

It would be nice if it was built into a printer, so that one doesn't have to set it up.. but then it wouldn't be energy efficient, and peopel would complain about wasted ink/paper.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Totally not worthwhile. I used to print several thousand dollars worth of instructional material a month at work and had a much more expensive printer to do it. My little $60 Canon color inkjet printer/scanner/copier could do a better job with less hassle for smaller volumes. It is also still going strong after many years of home use.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Afty

Post by Afty »

It's nice to have color. I'd consider it a small luxury and consider whether it's worth the costs you've identified. I did recently upgrade our printer to a color laser and have been happy with it.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:41 pm
snailderby wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:35 pm -- Buy a color inkjet for less than $100 (toner included!); or
I definitely wouldn't recommend this one, unless you're willing to buy a new $100 printer every time she needs to print in color. Inkjets that are not used regularly dry out and stop working.
I've thrown away countless inkjet printers, most under $100. Still haven't found one that doesn't clog from lack of use.
livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:54 pm Totally not worthwhile. I used to print several thousand dollars worth of instructional material a month at work and had a much more expensive printer to do it. My little $60 Canon color inkjet printer/scanner/copier could do a better job with less hassle for smaller volumes. It is also still going strong after many years of home use.
Which model? How do you keep it from clogging?

I've considered getting a color laser, but the costs just haven't made sense for me. And the already light occasional use is getting lighter for the time being. Even the black and white laser printer is getting less important.

Is there an economic print service that will mail you color printouts in a few days? (like Shutterfly does for photos) Doesn't help with those projects requiring short revision loops or short notice, but for final copies it partly could make up for not having a local printer.

https://www.upsstoreprintshop.com/DSF/S ... oryHome/19
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 pm I forgot to mention, for my ink jet, i know the OP doesn't want one.. but i just use this..

This is enough print usage, if printed once a week on a schedule, that I never get clogs.

It would be nice if it was built into a printer, so that one doesn't have to set it up.. but then it wouldn't be energy efficient, and peopel would complain about wasted ink/paper.
Thanks, I just saved this to my documents folder. I had my old inkjet for about 10-15 years and never worried about the ink drying up. Maybe I used it just enough which wasn't much. Canon stopped updating the driver, so I just bought a new HP 3-in-1 on sale for dirt cheap ($25 or $30) and have been happy with it so far but we'll see how it goes
Soon2BXProgrammer

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:06 pm
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 pm I forgot to mention, for my ink jet, i know the OP doesn't want one.. but i just use this..

Thanks, I just saved this to my documents folder. I had my old inkjet for about 10-15 years and never worried about the ink drying up. Maybe I used it just enough which wasn't much. Canon stopped updating the driver, so I just bought a new HP 3-in-1 on sale for dirt cheap ($25 or $30) and have been happy with it so far but we'll see how it goes
if you do something like this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/362957/how-to ... n-windows/

you can have two printers on your computer.. pointed to the same printer. then you can always print the test sheet using the printer that is preconfigured for color, but have your default the one preconfigured to default to black and white.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 pm Which model? How do you keep it from clogging?
Canon MP640

I don't think it is sold any more. We even use mail order E-Z ink cartridges with it. We don't do anything to keep it from clogging and it has never clogged.

I don't know when we bought it, but I see Amazon reviews from 2013, so it must be pretty old.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telemark

Post by telemark »

For a rarely used printer I wouldn't worry too much about toner costs. I print rarely on my BW laser printer, and it took me over five years to run through the starter cartridge. The great thing about laser printers is that you can leave them off for as long as you like and they still work as soon as you turn them on.
LittleMaggieMae

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm Daughter is in 4th grade right now, would be planning to use it long-term from here. I can't imagine she'd be printing more than 50, possibly 75 pages per year (assuming we use my BW for most normal printing.)
I would think the color laser jet that can copy/scan/fax and maybe make coffee... (added: in that $300 and under range)
would be a good addition to your household. Especially if your BW printer can't make a copy or scan to a PDF. Odds you'll be able to print to it from any (or all of your devices).

I would think your kid is going to have more assignments that require printing and scanning and copying as she continues thru grade school.

I know my coworkers have more than one printer at home - because of their kids.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our color printer has 2 B&W ink cartridges, so it prints B&W things just fine. I see no reason to ever buy a B&W only printer.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:11 pm
inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:02 pm Which model? How do you keep it from clogging?
Canon MP640

I don't think it is sold any more. We even use mail order E-Z ink cartridges with it. We don't do anything to keep it from clogging and it has never clogged.
Do you use it regularly? What's the longest it hasn't been used?

I probably need to use it 2-3 times a year, but one of those uses might print out up 100 pages. Don't want it sitting out and printing out a maintenance page once a week (and I'll likely forget after a while -- and even if it had an auto-print function, it still needs paper, fix paper jams and fill ink -- some neglect always kill them for me). Laser printers tend to survive, but decay in quality, and I've still got several backup printers/copiers/fax in the garage that output readable/usable pages to hopefully get me to the day when printouts won't be needed anymore (rather than forced to buy another one).

FWIW, it looks like UPS charges 0.60/page and $57 for 100 pages if you send it to them. Haven't tried it yet, but it's something to keep in mind.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 pmDo you use it regularly? What's the longest it hasn't been used?
I cannot answer that, but I know sometimes it goes a few months because I am not home. We do not print out maintenance pages. Sometimes when it hasn't been used and something is printed, it does take a few moments doing something and making noises (maybe cleaning itself?) before it starts to print.

However, if it is flashing that it needs a new ink cartridge, we put in a new ink cartridge even if we do not intend to print for a while.

But I don't think you can buy the same printer anymore. I suspect though that a Canon ink jet that you can buy would be similar.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

squirm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:49 pm I have had inkjets since the HP deskjet, if anyone can remember those.

But I don't remember the last time I printed photos, maybe 10 years ago...I also haven't had ink dry up in over ten years either.

The problem with inkjets, is they are made so cheap and everything is so flemsy.
Early inkjets did have issues with ink dry out. Today, not so much as long as you don't power off the printer and leave it off for long periods. If it is on, it goes into low power mode, but ink does not dry out. At least that has been my experience - no ink dry out with HP ink jets in over 10 years.
kryptonic

Post by kryptonic »

A Brother Color (LED) Laser can be had fairly cheaply.

The HL-L3230CDW sells for $229 and B&H right now. I do not have experience with that specific model, but I have a higher-end multifunction that uses the same toner and printing technology.

A full set (all colors and black) of generic replacement high yield toner can be had on Amazon for under $50.

Cheap printer, cheap toner, and no hassle with an inkjet. I am a big fan of the cheap Brother mono laser printers as well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Also make sure any printer you get can do two-sided printing (i.e. duplex).
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

I got this one from Newegg 3 years ago for $170
https://www.newegg.com/brother-hl-serie ... 6828113833

Its performed flawless and replacement toner is cheap ($20 for all 4 colors and they last 1000+ pages).

Best part is its wireless which means:
You can place it anywhere. Doesn't need to be tethered to a computer or Cat5 jack (we hide it in the basement)
It supports wireless print, which means you can print stuff from your iphone, ipad, etc.
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm Also make sure any printer you get can do two-sided printing (i.e. duplex).
Wasn't a consideration for us. For the few times we have to do duplex prints, we print all the even pages, put the paper upside down back in the tray, and print all the odd pages.
LittleMaggieMae

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:15 pm
lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm Daughter is in 4th grade right now, would be planning to use it long-term from here. I can't imagine she'd be printing more than 50, possibly 75 pages per year (assuming we use my BW for most normal printing.)
I would think the color laser jet that can copy/scan/fax and maybe make coffee... (added: in that $300 and under range)
would be a good addition to your household. Especially if your BW printer can't make a copy or scan to a PDF. Odds you'll be able to print to it from any (or all of your devices).

I would think your kid is going to have more assignments that require printing and scanning and copying as she continues thru grade school. She may also have projects (school or personal) that might entail printing labels/stickers or using different types of paper/card stock. (I'm slowly but surely using the scan to pdf ability of my printer more than the printer function... )

I know my coworkers have more than one printer at home - because of their kids.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

count damoney wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:33 pmWasn't a consideration for us. For the few times we have to do duplex prints, we print all the even pages, put the paper upside down back in the tray, and print all the odd pages.
I don't think duplex printing costs more, so why go through the hassle of what you are doing? That's just cheap. :)
Watty

Post by Watty »

I don't know if they still do it but HP used to put an expiration date into some of their ink cartridges electronics so that it would stop working after that date, and so that you could not refill them. They got a lot of flack for that so they may not do that anymore but be sure to check on that if you are looking at any HP printers.

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm OP here - .....

Daughter is in 4th grade right now,
You can ask her teacher if she really needs a color printer. I would be surprised if she does.

If you do get a color one be sure to also keep your current B&W one for a backup or for bulk printing if she need to print out some 50 page handout.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

So it's better to leave the printers on? I've always shut my off to save electricity but looks like it's not much electricity at all in standby mode.

inbox788 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:21 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Canon MP640

Do you use it regularly? What's the longest it hasn't been used?

I probably need to use it 2-3 times a year, but one of those uses might print out up 100 pages. Don't want it sitting out and printing out a maintenance page once a week (and I'll likely forget after a while -- and even if it had an auto-print function, it still needs paper, fix paper jams and fill ink -- some neglect always kill them for me). Laser printers tend to survive, but decay in quality, and I've still got several backup printers/copiers/fax in the garage that output readable/usable pages to hopefully get me to the day when printouts won't be needed anymore (rather than forced to buy another one).

FWIW, it looks like UPS charges 0.60/page and $57 for 100 pages if you send it to them. Haven't tried it yet, but it's something to keep in mind.
My old one was an MP470 which looks like it's 13 years old. Would have kept it for longer if Canon updated the drivers. Longest I went without printing was over 6 months (since we lived in a different place for 6 months). Towards the end though, it seemed to go through ink quicker so maybe that was part of the dry up problem.
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

livesoft wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:39 pm
count damoney wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:33 pmWasn't a consideration for us. For the few times we have to do duplex prints, we print all the even pages, put the paper upside down back in the tray, and print all the odd pages.
I don't think duplex printing costs more, so why go through the hassle of what you are doing? That's just cheap. :)

I couldn't find a wireless, color laser that took TN-225 cartridges (my top 3 priorities), that also did duplex.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm OP here - I have had at least 4 inkjet color printers in the last 15 years. Every single one dried out after several months of non-use, with clogged cartridges. Even if they have improved the inkjet technology today, it would take some SERIOUS convincing for me to go that route again!

I was originally just planning to do any color printing at the UPS STore, etc, but honestly, even if I only do it 5 times, my time is worth more than the effort to drive out there, coordinate all the stuff, and print it. I'll glady pay $600 to never go through that repeated hassle.

We bought a $50 color laser printer in 2014 because of kids school assignments. Since then, it printed 931 pages. Replaced the toner once for $30.
wander

Post by wander »

We don't print a lot, but we replaced our old reliable black/white laser printer with multifunction color laser printer and we love it. I have everything scanned to the network drive. We use the scan function very often. By the way, don't bother with refurbished ink, it's waste of time and money.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Laser printers have qualities that ink jet’s don’t. Is she an art student, advertising, etc? My guess as a young person she knows far better than you the capabilities. Buy her what she wants.

I wish I had one for certain projects!
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Buy this Brother RHLL3210CW printer directly from Brother $150
https://www.brother-usa.com/products/rhll3210cw

Buy this Hammermill paper $13 (worth it)
https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Office-3-Hol ... 005D98BQI/

Buy Brother toner cartridges — not brand x — in 2 years.

So says someone who has owned Brother color laser printers for over a decade for the home office.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 pm So it's better to leave the printers on? I've always shut my off to save electricity but looks like it's not much electricity at all in standby mode.
My inkjet printer (Brother MFC-6920DW) periodically cycles/ cleans cartridges. If it is turned off, the cartridges can dry out. We print enough that generic ink cartridges work fine ($18 for four sets-16 cartridges). Tip: Never accept printer firmware updates - these are usually issued to invalidate non-OEM ink.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
kryptonic

Post by kryptonic »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pm Buy this Brother RHLL3210CW printer directly from Brother $150

So says someone who has owned Brother color laser printers for over a decade for the home office.
+1, though I have used 3rd party replacement toner for over a decade and never experienced an issue.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:42 pm
So the question boils down to ink jet vs laser vs unknown alternative?
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

I replaced my old Canon B&W laser with a new Canon color laser and it's worth the extra cost IMO. The color laser routinely go on sale in the low $200's but the toner is very expensive at $80-90 for each toner cartridge. You need 4 toners- black, cyan, magenta, and yellow and the included starter toner only lasted a year for me. I pay extra for the hi-capacity toners and it's been great when the kids need to print out color documents for schoolwork. Ease of printing/scanning from a PC has also been improved and you can print stuff from your phone/ipad. Switching out toner is easy just pull out the tray and exchange the toner that's out.

I used generic toners for my old Canon and got tired of the degradation in print quality. Sticking with OEM toner despite the cost.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:21 pm Buy this Brother RHLL3210CW printer directly from Brother $150

Thanks for this. I haven't made the leap to laser because like OP I had color requirements and the hassle of getting it printed outside or the cost of color laser exceeded the low cost and hassle of my $50 Brother inkjet.

My ink does dry out but I haven't had a clog in a printer in over a decade. I have no idea what maintenance it does on its own but because it's wireless it's left on all the time and goes into a power saving mode. It may be a month or two between printings. Our color cartridges being seldom used has dried out requiring replacement exactly one time in the 3 years we've owned the printer. The cheap <$20 combined cost of the 3 separate color ink cartridges hardly warrants moving to a $300-$400 color laser.

But at $150 for a color laser? That's more enticing.

(We do have duplex printing on our $50 printer. Why not?)
lobsterman2112

Post by lobsterman2112 »

My kids "need" a color print through grade school and maybe the first year of high school many once or twice a year. When it comes to those times, I tend to print them off at work.

I can never get a clear answer from them for what students are supposed to do if they don't have a color printer at home. My guess is that B&W prints would be fine, but it's an arms race among their classmates and no one wants to be the once whose presentation was in B&W.

Instead of the color laser printer (we got burnt too many times with the ink jet printers), we got a combo black and white printer and scanner.

While the kids don't do a lot of scanning (and when they do, they just take pictures with their phones :oops: ), DW and I use the scanner fairly regularly (a couple times a month) both for home finance as well as the occasional time we have to sign something and then email it to the kids' schools.
MostlyABogleHead

Post by MostlyABogleHead »

Consider buying a multifunction laser printer and scanner. These can print in duplex mode, has color, connects directly to the network using WiFi and can scan automatically by pulling sheet of a tray. An example of such a printer is

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl3750cdw

These are reasonably priced (<$400) and many generic toners fit them. Brother toners are also very reasonably priced. I found the scanner to be very useful when you need to scan and send a lot of documents (recently to refinance my home and scan homework for kids).
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

We had a color inkjet when our kids were in school.

We now use a B&W laser. I'm considering a color laser. It should
come with a base cartridge which will last quite a while with
intermittent use.