Favorite Travel Experiences

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Luckywon

Re: Favorite Travel Experiences

Post by Luckywon »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm
stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm Since the topic is experiences not locations I'd say hiring private local guides in locations we are particularly curious about. It's a luxury but one we've enjoyed on occasion. Often they are Ph.D. students or postdocs in humanities who are good at what they do and fun to talk to about the location we are visiting.
Luckywon wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm Agree. For me, for museums and city tours, it changes a visit from a "check the box" exercise to something much more enjoyable and memorable. Not cheap for the good guides, but money well spent for us.
How do you find good guides?
Best experiences for us have been with reputable companies we have found on Tripadvisor. Off the top of my head I remember in Paris getting fantastic tours of Louvre and city from Parismuse. In Barcelona from Contexttravel.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

Renting a car and doing a road trip through Scotland. We stayed at B%Bs everynight, only had reservations our first night and last night there. Best vacation ever.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 pm Everywhere I've traveled has been a great experience. Every place is unique, cultures are interesting, and I've always enjoyed meeting people from every walk of life. I can't say anything negative about anywhere I've been as I've always made the best of even some unfortunate situations.
I mostly agree, but I have to say the Golden Corral in Lubbock, Texas ain't that great.

Seriously, though, while a lot of places are nice-to-good, you've got to admit some experiences really stand out in your memory, right?

Some highlights:
- An extended canoeing trip through the Boundary Waters
- experiencing midsummer night in Sweden (below the arctic circle, so no midnight sun, but it was only twilight for a few hours
- hanging out on the amazing beaches along the Oregon coast
- a candle-light caving expedition in Wind Cave, with just three people (and thus three tiny lanterns)
- visiting temple ruins in Teotihuacan and Monte Alban in Mexico
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Quirkz wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:48 pm
Workaholic wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 pm Everywhere I've traveled has been a great experience. Every place is unique, cultures are interesting, and I've always enjoyed meeting people from every walk of life. I can't say anything negative about anywhere I've been as I've always made the best of even some unfortunate situations.
I mostly agree, but I have to say the Golden Corral in Lubbock, Texas ain't that great.

Seriously, though, while a lot of places are nice-to-good, you've got to admit some experiences really stand out in your memory, right?

Some highlights:
- An extended canoeing trip through the Boundary Waters
- experiencing midsummer night in Sweden (below the arctic circle, so no midnight sun, but it was only twilight for a few hours
- hanging out on the amazing beaches along the Oregon coast
- a candle-light caving expedition in Wind Cave, with just three people (and thus three tiny lanterns)
- visiting temple ruins in Teotihuacan and Monte Alban in Mexico
Oh there are places and experiences definitely better than others but I think everywhere you go enhances your life.

Some of my more memorable:

Sunset in Oia on Santorini, Greece
Gondola ride in Venice, Italy
Seeing the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland
Chocolate tour in Paris
Road to Hana on Maui
The Parthenon in Athens
Staying on a yacht in Monte Carlo
Tib

Post by Tib »

Long ago, when Europe was much less crowded, I enjoyed the adventure of largely unplanned driving tours of Western and Eastern Europe. Now I enjoy European river cruises. The ship is a traveling hotel, freeing you from packing and unpacking. Hoping to be able to do another driving tour next fall—of Italy, where river cruises are not an option.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

So many-

Grand Canyon raft trip - Excitement and awe - nothing else like it. Must book nearly a year in advance

Victoria Falls and African Safari - OMG! Culture, Crazy danger (but safe). Do the Devil’s Pool at Victoria Falls.

Italy/Switzerland - history and beauty, hot and dry in Italy.

China - wonderful people with totally different culture and lifestyle from US. Inexpensive private tours available
Ireland/Scotland - history, beauty, green and cool

Take enough time. Don’t skimp.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

When I was a kid, we took a seven week 10,000 mile car trip from PA and went out west. Went as far north as Glacier NP (after Yellowstone), then to the sand dunes of OR, all the way from northern CA to San Diego (we spent a day each at Disney and KB Farms when in LA), Utah and the GC North Rim, down to TX (Astroworld had AC units when waiting in line) and then looped up back home. Saw tons of stuff and lots of NP.'s. At that time, Badlands was not a NP yet, there was no Disney World (opened about a year later) and Circus Circus didn't have a hotel yet. I'll never forget that trip.

Now, my favorite travel experiences are taking my kids to places I have been before as well as ones that I have not. You always find new things to see even at places you have been to before.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

mindboggling wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:20 pm Rubber-rafting through the canyon lands of the Colorado River. I was a teenager...don't even remember which state I was in.

Climbing Mt. Half-Dome in Yosemite National Park as a teenager.

Teaching English as a volunteer in several schools in China.

River cruise through the Amazon jungle (Peru).

Visiting Japan.

Swimming in a "cenote" in southern Mexico.
Halfdome definitely in my top 5. Yucatan not so much. Didn’t find cenotes to be that cool. Pyramids pretty amazing. Japan probably my favorite place I’ve visited in general. Banff stands out as a kid. Hiking Andes in Peru actually higher on list than half-dome. For something closer to home I really liked Great Basin NP. I hate crowds...
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

oxothuk wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:14 pm Hiking the Milford Track in NZ
Hiking the Milford, Routeburn, and Greenstone tracks in NZ.

I'd like to go back and do the Milford one more time before I hit 70. Or maybe 80.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

My first Europe vacation was a whirlwind. I wasn't sure I'd ever go again and wanted to see a variety of things in Switzerland and Germany so we stayed in 8 different cities in 12 days. Mostly 1 night, 1 night, 2 nights. We saw Rothenburg, Jungfraujoch, Matterhorn, Neuschwanstein Castle, Bern, etc.

Great time. Since then we've gone on several Christmas market trips that were nice. I have an uneasy alliance with travel. I have some stomach issues so I have to be very careful while traveling and easily get stressed out over travel delays (which are inevitable).

Favorite flying experience was cashing in some miles and flying first class on Lufthansa. The first class terminal in Frankfurt is super nice and getting driven to your 747 in a Porsche and feeling like a VIP and never seeing the "P"s was nice :)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

westcoast wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:31 pm Renting a car and doing a road trip through Scotland. We stayed at B%Bs everynight, only had reservations our first night and last night there. Best vacation ever.
I drove through England, Scotland, & Wales. It was hard to drive on the “wrong” side of the road, especially on the narrow roads with stone walls on both sides and an oncoming semi or tour bus coming at me around the next bend. Left-handed roundabouts were a trick. The locals seem to drive much too fast under these conditions, they’re used to it I’m sure. But I did get to see things I otherwise wouldn’t have, had I not had a car.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Favorite travel experience: Spending a week in Marbella (Spain), with day trips into Malaga and the surrounding towns to observe Semana Santa festivities.
https://youtu.be/1t7vCD-PfCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBw3HaoMC5U

Runner up: A week sailing around Menorca on my friend's Jeanneau
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I loved the Galapagos. It was like being on another world. It's Kenya for my wife. We both like wildlife.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Hong Kong
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Seasonal wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm
stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm Since the topic is experiences not locations I'd say hiring private local guides in locations we are particularly curious about. It's a luxury but one we've enjoyed on occasion. Often they are Ph.D. students or postdocs in humanities who are good at what they do and fun to talk to about the location we are visiting.
Luckywon wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm Agree. For me, for museums and city tours, it changes a visit from a "check the box" exercise to something much more enjoyable and memorable. Not cheap for the good guides, but money well spent for us.
How do you find good guides?
Reviews on the various online sites and longevity of the company meaning they care about reputation. Not foolproof but has served us fine. There's been one or two that we would not hire again but in general we've done well (over 90% success rate I'd guess). That fact that one or two have not been great does not deter me from doing it again.
Which online sites do you find useful? I'd guess Tripadvisor, but what others?
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I've experienced much of the U.S. and northern Europe and greatly enjoy visiting cities and the museums and cultural life there, but my three favorites are: Yellowstone, Zion, and cruising the Inside Passage to and from Alaska.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Sleeping in the Roadtrek
With the Backdoors open
Up against the Atlantic Ocean(Pounding Waves)

Hatteras NC.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Actun Tunichil Mukna sacred cave tour in Belize is the most memorable experience in recent years.

A brief trip to mainland China when Hong Kong was still under British rule. Skyscrapers to water buffalo plowed rice fields in a blink of the eye.

Way too many experiences in our multiple trips to Italy but if I had to choose, a week at a special Agriturismo in Tuscany. Wine tasting, olive oil class, pasta making and winery tours. Best week I can recall.

A no schedule, go where you want, wondering driving tour of Slovenia from the mountains to the coast.
IMO

Post by IMO »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:20 pm Been around the world, favorite is the deserts out west in Utah and Arizona. North Coyote Butte, South Coyote Butte, White Pockets, Buckskin Gulch, Grand Canyon north rim via offroad trail.
Have travelled some internationally, but nothing like many on this site. Have been fortunate to live and/or travel through many beautiful and varied places in the the US and its territories.

Was recently somewhere that we'd go often to recreate and just take for granted. On the trip someone told a story of a relative from Europe was just literally blown away with scenerary/experience they had when they were visiting the same place we just took for granted.

What Im really starting to dislike is the people that just seem to want overrun and to facebook previous great places/destinations to say they've been there done that.

Many places to visit and cultures to take in. Just dont become "one of them" facebooker/instagramers.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

f4d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm Retired at 56 in 1996. Many favorite places.

The fjords and scenery in Norway were beautiful. St Petersburg, Russia is remote but interesting.

Germany was great...the railways run on time. We especially enjoyed Berlin, Nurenberg, Regensburg, Munich and Bavaria.

Italy, is great...train from Rome to Florence to Venice. Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Naples, Vesuvius, and Isle of Capri in the south were scenic.

We cruised from Venice to Egypt (Cairo, Giza Pyramids and Sphinx) and Israel (Dead Sea, River Jordan, Sea of Galilee, and Jerusalem). Both Egypt and Israel were by private guided tours.

Have seen most of UK...England (wife from Liverpool), Wales, Scotland (Edinburgh and Isle of Skye were nice), as well as Ireland.
3 days in Grand Canyon - one of those days hiked S. Kaibab to Phantom Ranch back up Bright Angel Trail. AMAZING experience and biggest physical challenge ever
matti

Post by matti »

I really enjoy this thread!

My favorite experiences in no particular order:

-Trip to Vegas with my wife (one of my favorite cities!)
-Honeymoon in Copper Harbor, MI
-Tasmania/Sydney Australia
-Death Valley National Park
-Switzerland (near Zurich)
-Singapore (grad school trip)
-Middle of the night drive on the interstate through Montana.
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

Roadtrip along the Grand Circle (UT and AZ), peeling off for CO and Antelope Canyon. I love the open road and the landscapes were stunning.
Njm8845

Post by Njm8845 »

Thailand. I’m surprised to not see more data points for SE Asia.

Heron Island on the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef.

Hawaii and Tetons NP domestically.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Kayaking at Homer Alaska
Lowering of the flag at the American Cemetary in Normandy
Climbing the Sydney Harbor bridge
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Njm8845 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:24 am Thailand. I’m surprised to not see more data points for SE Asia.
One of the most singularly unreal moments i had was a small Indonesian island called Belitung. There was a shoreline which was really a tidal flat that must be atleast 200 meters towards the ocean. The water depth was barely an inch and acted like a gigantic mirror as far as your eyes went. For the 30 minutes or so that the sun went down, the whole scene was just endless hues of blues and oranges.

Second picture has a person to show the water level

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Two weeks backpacking in the wilderness - peaceful self reliance!
Mesa Verdi, Colorado - mind blowing ancient civilization in the US! So different!
Weekend cave diving trips - outdoor sport, good friends
On my way to Morocco, I stopped in Spain & fell in love. I spent a Month in Spain when I returned from Morocco - good food, laid back beach towns!
A Hot shower in Iceland- geothermal heated water!
June 21 in Alaska and the Midnight sun - eerily beautiful!
Any trip I have been on that had extreme weather, especially snow!
Travel at Christmas to my Grandparents house, waking up in the backseat when we hit the gravel driveway!
NYC November 2019 with a favorite cousin and best friend. We stayed in Tribeca and did some new things including the free Staten Island Ferry at night!
In Nevada on the open road with DH in a convertible. We got buzzed by a fighter jet a couple times! There were no other cars on the road. We were definitely part of the training flight!
But my favorite is Still seeing the shores of Gitchee Gumee!
Topic Author
f4d

Post by f4d »

sksbog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 pm Let's not limit to only international favorite travel experience :)
I retired with extensive travel in the US and Overseas. I agree, the US is my favorite country.
Last edited by f4d on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Big Sur and the Coast Highway and....

I have lived in Washington D.C area my whole life so ,seeing the Milky Way in Ft. Bragg,CA for the first time, took my breath away.

Back woods Yellowstone and provincial Parks in Alberta; also Tetons.

Because of my age and current pandemic, it will be a while before I travel again.
nanosour

Post by nanosour »

I've spent most of this past year on planet Mongo. Some know it as Clown World. Wouldn't recommend it.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

Renting a self-drive boat for a week on the French canals. Best vacations ever.

We've done it twice: Once, pre-kids, my wife and I took my parents on a trip on a canal in Burgundy. It was glorious, just perfect. We lucked out with perfect spring weather. It's a risk for two couples going together on a small boat, but it really worked out and my wife developed an even stronger bond with her new in-laws. It was my parents' first international trip and after that they saw how easy it was and then began traveling internationally on their own.

After we had kids, we did it again. This time on a canal in Brittany. We got two boats -- one for our family (two young boys plus my sister came along), and the other boat for my wife's twin sister and her family (a boy and a girl). We had a terrific time and it was fun having a two-boat convoy.

The canals offer a way to slow down, get away from the tourists, and visit great small towns. And no worries about finding a hotel or other accommodations each night since you sleep on the boat. Highly recommended, especially if you are used to camping or otherwise staying in somewhat tight accommodations.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Swimming with unknown, mostly young people, in a small creek and ponds in Minca, Colombia, is priceless.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

PoppyA wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:31 am
June 21 in Alaska and the Midnight sun - eerily beautiful!
We were in Fairbanks for the summer equinox, before going to Denali NP. I have never felt more alive.

David
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

Amsterdam--riding bikes like the locals & the canals, flowers, small restaurants, water, museums
Denali National Park
Grand Canyon
Hiking to a different Italian village in the Cinque Terra about 4 years ago; my 23 year old daughter invited me to part of her 6 week trip around Europe. I almost said no because it was in May during testing time at my school. Eating pasta and drinking wine at a different restaurant after a good day of hiking was incredible. So glad I said yes...
Florence--
Paris--
a raft trip down the Nenana river in Alaska
snorkeling in Maui--
the Cotswolds in England...I so want to go back as a hiker next time
Mt. Rainier on a fall day when barely anyone was there
Glacier National Park--Going to the sun road is mind-bogglingly gorgeous.
Yellowstone--camping, hiking, moose, bison, my first and only badger sighting!
Victoria, B.C.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

btenny wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:00 pm ...Boston Square, Honolulu Hawaii, Pearl Harbor, the big island, the black sand beach and the volcano.
What’s Boston Square?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

nanosour wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 pm I've spent most of this past year on planet Mongo. Some know it as Clown World. Wouldn't recommend it.
I wish you would have told me earlier. My new boss told me I have to relocate there for most of 2021 and maybe longer.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker »

Alaska was the 50th state that I was able to visit. Cashed in frequent flyer miles to get there for a solo camping trip in 2001. One mid-September night I was at the Fielding Lake Cabin on the Richardson Highway. Got up at 1AM to keep the fire going in the wood stove and was greeted by an incredible Northern Lights show. Would have liked to stay outside and watch longer but it was oh so cold.
SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow »

Yeoman Warder's Club in the Tower of London
Hubbard Glacier in Alaska
The village of Sirince in Turkey
Hiking Half Dome in Yosemite
Viewing wild horses in Badlands National Park, South Dakota
Santorini Caldera
Shetland Islands
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

My favorite travel experiences are all tales of debauchery and ribaldry that are not fit for a family-friendly forum. They all involve the people you meet along the way when you’re backpacking around the world, both locals and fellow travelers.

Those were good times...good times. <sigh> :sharebeer
For entertainment purposes only.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Tikal.
Probably not big deal for many people but impressive for us: snorkeling tour in Belize, where we saw many sharks, turtles, manta rays etc.
Cenote snorkeling in Mexico.
Panama. The road to Bocca del Torro (Almirante) is in the top 3 of most beautiful drives for me. Guna Yala also was great. I slept 3 feet from the water, under the full moon.
Porto.
Hiking Carpathian mountains.
I remember being very impressed by landscape in western US but I lived here long enough so now I take it for granted. Coming on 120 and seeing Mono lake, Grand Canyon or red rocks in AZ are still a highlight.
Kauai, especially the north.
KNMLHD

Post by KNMLHD »

A slightly different version of "favorite"...

When on a work trip to Poland, a co-worker had reserved a guided tour for about 6 of us at Aushwitz. Prior to going, I grumbled under my breath at the cost. After - the cost seemed so insignificant. The guided tour was done by a professor at a local University in Krakow who specialized in 20th century history.

Incredibly moving, somber, thought-provoking experience that wouldn't nearly have been so with one of the big guided bus tours (which there were many - much more than I would have expected). With our guide, we were often away from the packs of people - the enormity of what we were saw weighs on you.

Totally changed my perspective about guided tours - especially the smaller, more "intimate" tours.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

At university I was a History and Latin major so I am fascinated to study the history of the places I visit. So I think ten days wandering around Rome at Christmas time was my favorite experience. I like to study the evolution, decline and rebirth of civilizations and Italy is a great place to experience this. I was able to understand most of the inscriptions in museums but not spoken Italian. At Christmas time I went to the service at the Basilica of St. John Lateran. At one stage during the service, the Italians turned around to greet me. Then I looked at the statue of Constantine outside. His place in history is controversial. He had his wife and son killed and only converted on his deathbed.

Other favorite places are London, Paris and Egypt, China especially Tibet
coynerone

Post by coynerone »

Mongolia where 10,000 sheep look like a small dot on the horizon and there are herds of camels. Drinking fermented mare's milk with young monks in the Gandan Monastery. Being given the bed of honor in an overnight stay In a Ger.

Camino de Santiago for a full on change your life adventure. Excited to get going every morning to see how the day would unfold. In spring so masses of red tulips on hillsides.

Israel and visiting the Golan Heights. They say the geography is the fifth gospel. The stories in the bible become alive in the landscape. Excellent guides allowed for some interesting social political discussions.

Ngro Ngro crater, Trans Siberian railroad, Venice Carnivale.

USA highlights are Canyoneering in Escalante, waking up early camping and seeing the Tetons emerge, Road to the sun, New York City, New Orleans, NASA in FLA.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

for our honeymoon, we went to Oahu for a week, did a "LOST" tour back when Lost was still a thing, saw the Pirates of Carribean ship, went to a private island (had fun in the ocean), swam with the dolphins then went to Grand Canyon, and hiked halfway down, then went to Vegas for 5 days.....
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

We always read intensely about the area prior to travel.

The one that always stands out was the personal guide we had in Budapest. This man took us places that were not necessarily Trip Advisor recommendations. We went inside libraries and buildings. He explained SO much history and painted vivid pictures of historical events under Nazi and Communist rule. We sat with business owners who told of life under Communism and how they often struggle with the concept of capitalism.

There is more than one version of history and it's not always what is told to us as Americans. The perspectives shared from others is important. It is true that "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." ― Mark Twain
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

by livesoft » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm
Almost any place that requires at least 2 days of backpacking away from a motorized vehicle to get there and also that has no internet service.
Rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon 17 times 1979-2003: No cars in sight for 2+ weeks each trip, instead you are rowing your own inflatable raft through 200+ miles of spectacular scenery, if you like looking at rocks and geology.

In Arizona wildernesses, in the 1980s, I could go backpacking for a week, and not see another human being, a pretty good vacation from anything that bothered me at work.

Driving to the Grand Canyon after work on Friday, then backpacking in the Grand Canyon for two days, then drive home on Sunday night, made Monday a better day at my job.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yes rafting the Colorado river rapids through Cataract Canyon in 1975 was really fun and exciting. We went for three days in the spring for the maximum high water experience. It was outstanding but very cold.... We almost got hypothermia as it was cloudy and raining off and on. So after some big rapids we pulled out and made a big campfire to warm up. We rowed the whole trip. Somewhere in my photo stuff is a picture like below of a raft almost upside down transiting the big rapids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_Canyon
traveler901

Post by traveler901 »

jdb wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:09 pm Paris between Christmas and New Years on a particularly cold and snowy week with our then teenage children. It snowed every day with cold winds. The reflections of the City of Light in the snowflakes. We felt like only Americans in city. Restaurants were more than welcoming and cafes and museums mostly empty. Walking along half frozen Seine with cold wind whipping across the water. Marvelous time, great memories.
We liked Paris in the summer, but LOVED it during the winter. Also went over New Year's one year and it was amazing. The weather actually wasn't bad and almost every meal we were the only tourists there.
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

Fly fishing with grizzlies in Katmai, Alaska
Backpacking Zion (The Narrows) and Isle Royale.
Hiking many other nat’l parks, Glacier is a favorite.

Angkor Wat, Cambodia
Mekong Delta, Vietnam

Napa/Sonoma wine country and Florida Keys are great trips.

Europe - French Riviera’s beauty, London’s history and Venice’s beauty/history are standouts.
Swiss/Italian Alps, Alsace, love it all.

So many other memories.

Great thread, done so much but still so much to do..
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Topic Author
f4d

Post by f4d »

backpacker61 post_id=5653215 time=1607713300 user_id=161434]
Thru hiking the Colorado Trail.

485 miles on foot; Denver to Durango. Best trip ever.
It's a small world; I drove from San Antonio to Durango and then over the Sierra Madre to Mazatlan. On the small road between Durango city and La Joya, the village of Chupaderos looks like any other Mexican desert town, except for the faux-front Western town that John Wayne built into its center. More than 60 films have been shot here, where a fake bank and a hollow hotel sit on the main crossing.
It was a long time ago and some roads were still dirt. I can't say it was my favorite trip, but it might come in a close second.
Last edited by f4d on Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
silentfaith

Post by silentfaith »

Sailing the Bahamas and FLA Keys & Dry Tortugas on our catamaran 7 months a year,
Cape Town SA. and safari,
Rome,
Cuba.