Favorite Travel Experiences

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
f4d

Favorite Travel Experiences

Post by f4d »

Retired at 56 in 1996. Many favorite places.

The fjords and scenery in Norway were beautiful. St Petersburg, Russia is remote but interesting.

Germany was great...the railways run on time. We especially enjoyed Berlin, Nurenberg, Regensburg, Munich and Bavaria.

Italy, is great...train from Rome to Florence to Venice. Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Naples, Vesuvius, and Isle of Capri in the south were scenic.

We cruised from Venice to Egypt (Cairo, Giza Pyramids and Sphinx) (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... rize#img-1) and Israel (Dead Sea, River Jordan, Sea of Galilee, Bethlehem and Jerusalem). Both Egypt and Israel were by private guided tours.

Have seen most of UK...England: London, Greenwich, Stonehenge, Oxford, Cotswolds, Lake District (wife from Liverpool),Hadrian's Wall... Wales, Scotland (Edinburgh, The Bonnie Banks o'Loch Lomond, Isle of Skye were nice), as well as Ireland.
Last edited by f4d on Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Flyer24

Re: Favorite Travel Experiences

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues (travel).
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Hiking the Milford Track in NZ
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Almost any place that requires at least 2 days of backpacking away from a motorized vehicle to get there and also that has no internet service.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Wife and son really enjoyed OsakaKyoto, Japan. I intend to go with DW when COVID is no longer a pressing concern

Family enjoyed Galapagos and a photo safari in MalaMala South Africa.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Tokyo, Japan. Want to take the kids.
Bermuda, what a great surprise. Ole British culture in the middle of the Atlantic.
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

Let's not limit to only international favorite travel experience :)
thedane

Post by thedane »

My favorites in no specific order:
Russian icebreaking research vessel in Antarctica for a few weeks
Norway for stunning scenery and nature
Costa Rica for adventure
Arizona for diverse nature ranging from Alpine forest to gorgeous desert
Mexico for the friendliest people, great culture, and good food - especially Mexico City
The Cayman Islands for safe island and amazing beaches - and best scuba diving
Zanzibar for exotic beaches and culture
Tanzania for friendly people (and climbing Kilimanjaro)
Siberia for cheap vodka and fun trip on the Trans Siberian Railroad
Easter Island for just sheer remoteness, and incredible statues
Last edited by thedane on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

sksbog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 pm Let's not limit to only international favorite travel experience :)
There are many places I’ve enjoyed in our home country, but the really memorable trips included novel cultures and/or wildlife.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Didn't have much money at the time but taking a coach from geneva to chamonix and riding the tram up the side of Mont Blanc mid summer was pretty spectacular

Renting a car would have been more posh. But I can't complain bc my Japanese seatmate spoke about as much french as I did so we had a great embarrassment-free convo on the way there
Last edited by montanagirl on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Since the topic is experiences not locations I'd say hiring private local guides in locations we are particularly curious about. It's a luxury but one we've enjoyed on occasion. Often they are Ph.D. students or postdocs in humanities who are good at what they do and fun to talk to about the location we are visiting.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

oxothuk wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:14 pm Hiking the Milford Track in NZ
Did you take a guided trek or carry in all your supplies?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

DW and I sailed around the Mediterranean for a few weeks years ago before children. Italy, Greece, Turkey. Arriving at port in the morning as the sun is coming up is an experience i’ll remember for the rest of my life. Something you don’t get flying into an airport somewhere.

Would like to take the family to Japan when the COVID coast is clear.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Switzerland, England and Scotland.

Dave
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Laying on the ground, surrounded by a pack of wild dogs in Zimbabwe was the highlight of my travel life. That, and watching them take down an impala. They are amazingly efficient hunters.

Culturally, studying tai chi in rural China was the most interesting, although not always the most fun.

We had plans to walk the Camino this year that got canceled. I think we’re going to replace it with hiking around Mt Blanc. We decided that after a year of living like monks, we now want to do something with more variety and more opportunities for good food.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Three weeks in New Zealand was amazing.

Driving around Tuscany, visiting vineyards and all the small towns.

Hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.

Camping in Denali National Park (and on a different trip, Yellowstone).

Scuba diving in Belize with my sister.
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

f4d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm Retired at 56 in 1996. Many favorite places.

The fjords and scenery in Norway were beautiful. St Petersburg, Russia is remote but interesting.

Germany was great...the railways run on time. We especially enjoyed Berlin, Nurenberg, Regensburg, Munich and Bavaria.

Italy, is great...train from Rome to Florence to Venice. Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Naples, Vesuvius, and Isle of Capri in the south were scenic.

We cruised from Venice to Egypt (Cairo, Giza Pyramids and Sphinx) and Israel (Dead Sea, River Jordan, Sea of Galilee, and Jerusalem). Both Egypt and Israel were by private guided tours.

Have seen most of UK...England (wife from Liverpool), Wales, Scotland (Edinburgh and Isle of Skye were nice), as well as Ireland.
Moorea. I might move there permanently when I win the game. Especially with the world in its current state. It's like going to a different planet.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm Almost any place that requires at least 2 days of backpacking away from a motorized vehicle to get there and also that has no internet service.
Heh, pretty ironic coming from the guy who has more posts on the Bogleheads Internet forum than any other human being on the planet... :)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
OffGridder

Post by OffGridder »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:22 pm Almost any place that requires at least 2 days of backpacking away from a motorized vehicle to get there and also that has no internet service.
+1
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails." | H.D. Thoreau
Watty

Post by Watty »

Trip to Hawaii back in the 1980s when a volcano was erupting and flowing miles into the sea. It was not as controlled back then so you could walk right up to the red hot flowing lava. In retrospect that was not all that safe but it sure was impressive.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

sksbog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 pm Let's not limit to only international favorite travel experience :)
I loved going to many spots in Europe (Rome, Venice, Salzburg, Vienna, Copenhagen, St Petersburg, etc.).
But I think some of my favorite travel experiences have actually been here is in the US: The National Parks are all amazing: Grand Canyon (such an obvious choice but hey - incredible to experience), Denali, Crater Lake, Glacier Bay, Acadia, Yellowstone, Hawaii Volcanoes, etc.
I also have loved being a tourist in many of our cities both bigger (San Fran, Chicago, NYC) and smaller (Savannah, Charleston, Boston, Portsmouth (both Oregon and Maine!), Seattle, etc.) as well!
We put some plans on hold for 2020 and early 2021 - can't wait until we are back to normal.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Bungee jumping in Queenstown, NZ in 2008. Beautiful city and lots to do there. Drove across New Zealand to get there and enjoyed the trip. Spent 17 days between Sydney, Australia, NZ, and Fiji. Have great memories from that vacation.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Traveled a ton for work and now retired for 21 years. Still traveling. Life is good and the world has lots of wonderful places.

USA. Grand Canyon, Havasupai, western rocky mountains, ski towns like Telluride and Vail and the back roads and forests, western Sierra mountains and Lake Tahoe region, California beaches and towns like Hermosa and Pacific Beach, SF city and Bay and ferry rides, Mount Rushmore, LBJ Ranch in Texas, Nashville, Tampa/Clearwater Fla, Washington National Mall, DC Metro subway, NYC and Time Square and Statue of Liberty, Boston Square, Honolulu Hawaii, Pearl Harbor, the big island, the black sand beach and the volcano.

Europe. Italy, Rome and Vatican and small Italian stores and restaurants. Swiss Alps and ski towns and cog trains. France, Paris and Eiffel Tower. Spain, Florence, Valencia, La Sagrada Familia. England, London, the Tube, Kings Cross station, Chunnel, small towns like St Ives, Cambridge, Stratford. Scotland, St Andrews and Edenborough.

Cruises. Transit the Panama Canal in day time see the locks. Stop at Cabo Mexico for a beach Camel ride. Watch the cliff divers in Acapulco, Mexico. Stop by Cartagena Columbia. Visit some Caribbean islands.

Australia. Visit Sidney, tour the harbor area by ferry, see the Opera house and bridge. Meet some Aborigine people and listen to some didgeridoo music. Take a road trip and see some kangaroos and some of the outback.

New Zealand. visit Wellington and take a ferry tour and see sheep island. Meet some real Maori people and see their tattoo art.

Just a sample. Good Luck.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Thru hiking the Colorado Trail.

485 miles on foot; Denver to Durango. Best trip ever.
Last edited by backpacker61 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Ms G and I prefer walking tours and or small ship adventure cruises.
Cruises Galapagos
Alaska Eastern passages
Costa Rica/Panama
Sea of Cortez
Five Hawaiian Islands

Walking Zambia, walking safari
Italy, Amalfi coast/Capri
California, San Francisco to Point Reyes
Machu Picchu
Denali NP
Grand Canyon
Red rocks, Sedona
Some of Arizona's best hiking Chiricahua Mountains

Always enjoy Napa and Sonoma Winery visits.
Driving CA Route 1
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:46 pmHeh, pretty ironic coming from the guy who has more posts on the Bogleheads Internet forum than any other human being on the planet... :)
Yes, indeed. :twisted:
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Been around the world, favorite is the deserts out west in Utah and Arizona. North Coyote Butte, South Coyote Butte, White Pockets, Buckskin Gulch, Grand Canyon north rim via offroad trail.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:28 pm
I went on the Ultimate Hikes trek on the Routeburn (they also do the same on the Milford). Hot meals and hotel-style lodges with showers every night, all you carry is a daypack with clothes, toiletries and a sack lunch for the day.

Also in NZ, the 22 Great Rides. Long-distance bike trails perfect for touring. I've done the Otago Rail Trail, Hawke's Bay Trails, Great Taste Trail and portions of the Queenstown Trail and Remutaka Rail Trail. https://nzcycletrail.com/find-your-ride/22-great-rides/

I also strongly recommend an overnight cruise of Doubtful Sound.

Elsewhere in the world:

Backroads in souther Utah. La Sal Loop, Cathedral Valley, Burr Trail and many many others. One of my favorite places in the world.

Tyrolean Alps in Austria. One of my favorite spas is here, the Aqua Dome, a massive spa/sauna complex deep in the Alps.

Finally, the San Juan range in Colorado. IMO the most beautiful part of the state.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Least favorite - Afghanistan

Favorite - Switzerland (Have to get out of Geneva, but the entire area around lake Geneva is wonderful.)

Second Favorite - Tokyo

Queued up for after covid - Africa Safari, Over Water Bungalow in Fiji
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:23 pm
I went on the Ultimate Hikes trek on the Routeburn (they also do the same on the Milford). Hot meals and hotel-style lodges with showers every night, all you carry is a daypack with clothes, toiletries and a sack lunch for the day.

Also in NZ, the 22 Great Rides. Long-distance bike trails perfect for touring. I've done the Otago Rail Trail, Hawke's Bay Trails, Great Taste Trail and portions of the Queenstown Trail and Remutaka Rail Trail. https://nzcycletrail.com/find-your-ride/22-great-rides/

I also strongly recommend an overnight cruise of Doubtful Sound.

Elsewhere in the world:

Backroads in souther Utah. La Sal Loop, Cathedral Valley, Burr Trail and many many others. One of my favorite places in the world.

Tyrolean Alps in Austria. One of my favorite spas is here, the Aqua Dome, a massive spa/sauna complex deep in the Alps.

Finally, the San Juan range in Colorado. IMO the most beautiful part of the state.
That's how we did Milford. Hot showers at the end of the day were awesome and the food was excellent.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Patagonia. Specifically, Torres del Paine national park in Chile and Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina. I went backpacker cheap about a decade ago, look forward to going back and maybe springing for a luxury lodge.

Annapurna Sanctuary in Nepal (teahouse trekking). Less crowded than Everest Base camp, mind blowing scenery.

Luang Prabang, Laos. Beautiful small city on the Mekong. Didn't do much, just absorbed the vibes and had nightly Beerlao along riverfront cafes.

Havasupai. Saw someone else mention this above. It's been discovered by the masses in the internet age. I imagine stumbling upon it before that would feel like walking into Eden.
Did my first true "backcountry" experience this year in the Dolly Sods Wilderness of WV, and quite enjoyed it. My sister mostly planned the trip. How do you find your suitable locations?
DigitalJanitor

Post by DigitalJanitor »

Try to meet locals any time you have an opportunity. My best trips have included talking, sharing a meal, or a home visit with a local.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Have lots of memorable moments everywhere, but the gems really are close to home, which for me was Colorado, and around Austria.
Only 2 places i really really did not enjoy however - Cairo, and and Manilla. Just really unpleasant all around.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

coalcracker wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 pmDid my first true "backcountry" experience this year in the Dolly Sods Wilderness of WV, and quite enjoyed it. My sister mostly planned the trip. How do you find your suitable locations?
Why, I use the internet, of course! :) But seriously, I have friends and family in many places around the world and they are quite helpful. Some of them need a companion to go into the backcountry with them and know that I am generally available, so I get invited along when they are in the early planning stages. Other times, I am able to do a little reconnaissance myself and then come back to do a more involved trip. An example of that might be to go to the Grand Canyon NP / Yellowstone NP / Glacier NP with my family and doing the VRBO thing, then drop them off at the airport and go back to the park by myself.

But there is always the public library and reddit.com. Does that help?
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Rubber-rafting through the canyon lands of the Colorado River. I was a teenager...don't even remember which state I was in.

Climbing Mt. Half-Dome in Yosemite National Park as a teenager.

Teaching English as a volunteer in several schools in China.

River cruise through the Amazon jungle (Peru).

Visiting Japan.

Swimming in a "cenote" in southern Mexico.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:18 pm
coalcracker wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 pmDid my first true "backcountry" experience this year in the Dolly Sods Wilderness of WV, and quite enjoyed it. My sister mostly planned the trip. How do you find your suitable locations?
Why, I use the internet, of course! :) But seriously, I have friends and family in many places around the world and they are quite helpful. Some of them need a companion to go into the backcountry with them and know that I am generally available, so I get invited along when they are in the early planning stages. Other times, I am able to do a little reconnaissance myself and then come back to do a more involved trip. An example of that might be to go to the Grand Canyon NP / Yellowstone NP / Glacier NP with my family and doing the VRBO thing, then drop them off at the airport and go back to the park by myself.

I piggy-backed (hehe) on my sisters planning for this trip, and I was surprised that I had never heard of the Dolly Sods given I live less than 3 hours away. But I gather from her that it's a well-known spot for backcountry camping in certain circles, just trying to find those circles and do some research myself. Reddit is probably a good place to start! Thanks.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Everywhere I've traveled has been a great experience. Every place is unique, cultures are interesting, and I've always enjoyed meeting people from every walk of life. I can't say anything negative about anywhere I've been as I've always made the best of even some unfortunate situations.
celia

Post by celia »

DigitalJanitor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm Try to meet locals any time you have an opportunity. My best trips have included talking, sharing a meal, or a home visit with a local.
+1
...especially if they live in a town my ancestors used to live in. I look around and visit the church and cemetery. This is where I might have lived had my grandparents not come to the USA.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

DigitalJanitor wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:55 pm Try to meet locals any time you have an opportunity. My best trips have included talking, sharing a meal, or a home visit with a local.
Personally, I have found many of the fellow travelers I have met on trips to be interesting and fascinating people. Very enjoyable and engaging company.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm Since the topic is experiences not locations I'd say hiring private local guides in locations we are particularly curious about. It's a luxury but one we've enjoyed on occasion. Often they are Ph.D. students or postdocs in humanities who are good at what they do and fun to talk to about the location we are visiting.
Agree. For me, for museums and city tours, it changes a visit from a "check the box" exercise to something much more enjoyable and memorable. Not cheap for the good guides, but money well spent for us.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Ah, finally a thread topic where international WILL actually outperform.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Most of my favorite travel experiences just "happen" and in that sense are not repeatable. However, for places that punched well above their weight my list would include:

Japan
Bhutan
Namibia
Malawi
Bangladesh
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Guided trek organized by Ultimate Hikes. Still had to carry a pack, but not a heavy one.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Good travel experiences:

1) Visiting Italy, France or similar, and realizing you've been eating food from those places done wrong this whole time.
2) Going to cheap countries and realizing you can buy all kinds of goods and services for almost no money (probably appreciated on this forum).
3) Meeting people in other countries where SPX ytd performance is not their main focus at all times.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Lime Rock Park in northwest Connecticut. It's my favorite track and whether I was competing for a new track record in class or just out in early April or late November with the street car because there was or could be snow, it's a wonderful track to drive. Truth be told, I liked it better before being repaved. I had an advantage doing the turn after the bridge that was very bumpy because I knew that if I kept my foot in it, I'd be greatly rewarded by the time I got to Big Bend.

I've also gone to watch the pros, mostly in LMP races. Although the LM cars are awesome, I really like the GT cars as they're real cars I could buy. I know Will Turner and a few guys who work for him and do trackside duty at races although I sometimes am cheering for the lone Subaru or Exige out there under a privateer. Great scenery and grounds.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

livesoft wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:18 pm

I had a more extensive reply drafted but I lost it when my connection went down so the short version is:

Many sources but especially paper maps (Forest Service etc.). BLM has a series called Surface Management Status which color codes public lands by management agency. Try larger public or academic libraries that have a "real" map collection and if not that a US Government depository section. The BLM has a series called Surface Management Status that color codes public lands by management agency. Many prefer these for planning purposes.

Trail guides - but use them sparingly - most overdescribe presumable to make a more saleable product.

On the road stop at agency visitor centers

Look at speciality websites: wilderness.net (I think that is it I just use my bookmark) operates out of the University of Montana and consolidates data and sources pertaining to designated wilderness areas. Advocacy websites such wilderness society and Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS for short) Wilderness society has articles such as Best wilderness areas for fall colors; etc. but you have to poke aroud their website

Backpacker magazine & similar special interest mags but they have lots of ads

Look for things others often avoid ( unscenic areas; roads leading "nowhere" etc.)

Talk to lots of people doing the same sorts of things
jdb

Post by jdb »

Paris between Christmas and New Years on a particularly cold and snowy week with our then teenage children. It snowed every day with cold winds. The reflections of the City of Light in the snowflakes. We felt like only Americans in city. Restaurants were more than welcoming and cafes and museums mostly empty. Walking along half frozen Seine with cold wind whipping across the water. Marvelous time, great memories.
hightower

Post by hightower »

f4d wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 pm Retired at 56 in 1996. Many favorite places.

We cruised from Venice to Egypt (Cairo, Giza Pyramids and Sphinx) and Israel (Dead Sea, River Jordan, Sea of Galilee, and Jerusalem). Both Egypt and Israel were by private guided tours.

Have seen most of UK...England (wife from Liverpool), Wales, Scotland (Edinburgh and Isle of Skye were nice), as well as Ireland.
The many backpacking trips we took in Yosemite, Glacier, Grand Canyon, and Volcano's Nat'l Park

Our 3 European trips were all great. My favorite being Ireland. Salzburg Austria was so cool though too

Hawaii has consistently been my favorite the last 5 years in a row though. Hanalei Bay is my happy place;)
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:27 pm Since the topic is experiences not locations I'd say hiring private local guides in locations we are particularly curious about. It's a luxury but one we've enjoyed on occasion. Often they are Ph.D. students or postdocs in humanities who are good at what they do and fun to talk to about the location we are visiting.
Luckywon wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm Agree. For me, for museums and city tours, it changes a visit from a "check the box" exercise to something much more enjoyable and memorable. Not cheap for the good guides, but money well spent for us.
How do you find good guides?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:17 pm
Luckywon wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm Agree. For me, for museums and city tours, it changes a visit from a "check the box" exercise to something much more enjoyable and memorable. Not cheap for the good guides, but money well spent for us.
How do you find good guides?
Reviews on the various online sites and longevity of the company meaning they care about reputation. Not foolproof but has served us fine. There's been one or two that we would not hire again but in general we've done well (over 90% success rate I'd guess). That fact that one or two have not been great does not deter me from doing it again.