home security camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
peetsperk

Re: home security camera

Post by peetsperk »

+1 Eufy - it ticks all the boxes on your list.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Saving$ wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm
rich126 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:14 am
Average Investor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:32 am I recently installed some Eufy doorbell cameras. I liked them so much I bought some outdoor cameras as well and plan to buy some indoor cameras when I catch a sale (happens about once a month on Amazon etc.). Local hosting, all camera types appear in one phone app, no monthly fees, reviews generally good.

https://www.eufylife.com
I like Eufy because of the local storage. For higher end tech folks Ubiquiti has a number of items (cameras, door bell camera, etc.) but not for the average person.

I usually try to avoid cloud and especially subscription services.
I was all set to go with Eufy until I read that the camera requires an active internet connection to record. When the Eufy servers were down, nobody's cameras recorded. Apparently it records, uploads to their Chinese server, then downloads back to your local storage homebase.
The requirement for active internet and the Chinese involvement killed it for me. Without those 2 it would be the perfect solution...
Well that isn't good. I don't have any cameras, etc. currently set up (crashing at my GF's place for the time being) but being more technical, I'd probably consider using Ubiquiti's cameras although Ubiquiti has their own issues but storage can be local.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

rich126 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 am
Average Investor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:32 am I recently installed some Eufy doorbell cameras. I liked them so much I bought some outdoor cameras as well and plan to buy some indoor cameras when I catch a sale (happens about once a month on Amazon etc.). Local hosting, all camera types appear in one phone app, no monthly fees, reviews generally good.

I like Eufy because of the local storage. For higher end tech folks Ubiquiti has a number of items (cameras, door bell camera, etc.) but not for the average person.

I was all set to go with Eufy until I read that the camera requires an active internet connection to record. When the Eufy servers were down, nobody's cameras recorded. Apparently it records, uploads to their Chinese server, then downloads back to your local storage homebase.
The requirement for active internet and the Chinese involvement killed it for me. Without those 2 it would be the perfect solution...
Well that isn't good. I don't have any cameras, etc. currently set up (crashing at my GF's place for the time being) but being more technical, I'd probably consider using Ubiquiti's cameras although Ubiquiti has their own issues but storage can be local.
This might be a concern only if the servers are down often. And, it's unclear what your concern is about a video feed from external cameras transiting a Chinese server. Are you worried that the feed will be compromised to facilitate an intrusion into your home computers?
ACN

Post by ACN »

Our setup.

Synology NAS server. $800 for 4 Bay, 12TB storage. This allows for several months of continuous recordings. Also use it as photo, document, and movie storage.

Hikvision night color cameras (always in color) for $200/camera. These are hardwired with cat6 into the house. The synology server has built in surveillance app.

I'm m able to live stream and/or watch all events that the cameras flag. We have setup motion zones for detection and then these are marked in the app.

You could do the entire above setup as DIY if your tech savvy. I had my IT guy at work help me run the cables (easier as two man job).

No subscription fee. Always have access as long as I have home internet. Have a backup generator so theoretically always have power.
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 pm I've had this up for several weeks now and it is pretty much everything I wanted - a set it up and forget camera system. The video quality is very good and each camera records audio as well.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Glad to hear that the system is working and meets your needs. Thanks for the update!
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

GmanJeff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 am

This might be a concern only if the servers are down often. And, it's unclear what your concern is about a video feed from external cameras transiting a Chinese server. Are you worried that the feed will be compromised to facilitate an intrusion into your home computers?
Privacy
Chinese and anyone else, including Amazon, should not have access to the images from my cams. It's just creepy.
DJAlcatraz

Post by DJAlcatraz »

Original Arlo Camera (1st version). Became annoyed with them, after 5 years, and upgraded to the Eufy. I have had zero issues, love how they work, you only have to charge the battery 1x every 6-12 months depending on placement. I think the new Arlos are similar, but these cameras got great reviews, and I have been so happy with them. And easy to add to the system, or move around if you decide to later. I get the wired camera advantage, but the abilty to connect to wifi and convenience of setting up and monitoring on my phone and how affordable, I love the Eufy system.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

Not a big fan of monthly fees... Eufy is intriguing. I understand I can get live feed for free... but am looking at a system for a vacation home... and I want to be able to look at past activity remotely. I am moderately "technical" , but not a true geek. Will I easily be able to view locally stored video, remotely from a smart phone (both android and IOS) app?
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I have Wyze and Blink. Like them both. I just got expansion battery packs for the blinks so I’m expecting to go for years without changing the batteries.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Freefun wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:56 pm I have Wyze and Blink. Like them both. I just got expansion battery packs for the blinks so I’m expecting to go for years without changing the batteries.
Clark Howard raves about the Wyze security cameras, and I've heard nothing but good feedback from actual users.
The Sensible Steward
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

I don't know if you can still buy https://getpiper.com/ new anymore, but there are no fees and they do things a lot of other newer devices do not including temperature monitoring and alarms, humidity monitoring and alarms, Z-wave functionality, etc...buy used on ebay or Amazon for around $180. I've had a couple for 8 or so years and they work very well.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Don't get a DVR. You want a NVR.

DVR = analog or digital BNC
NVR = digital PoE IP cameras

NVR kits:
https://www.costco.com/lorex-4k-uhd-8-c ... 75117.html

or build it yourself:
Hikvision or Dahu (or their rebrands) IP cameras
+
NVR or PCNVR (must decode H.265) of NAS
+
PoE Switch(es)

Good IP camera systems look to still cost $1,000-$1,500 which is nearly what I paid to put mine together a decade ago. It's eye watering expensive but there are no monthly fees and upgrading is easy due to being based on standards like PoE. If you don't need 4K/8MP nor the advanced detection features (face/heat/line/plate/etc) you can use "dumb" 1080p/2MP that just do motion detection.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

arf1410 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 pm Not a big fan of monthly fees... Eufy is intriguing. I understand I can get live feed for free... but am looking at a system for a vacation home... and I want to be able to look at past activity remotely. I am moderately "technical" , but not a true geek. Will I easily be able to view locally stored video, remotely from a smart phone (both android and IOS) app?
You should be able to do this. Before going all in, you might try buying one inexpensive indoor model and using it for a period of time to become familiar with how it works and how you interact with the associated app.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

dual wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:52 pm Do power over ethernet cameras require special routers/switches or can they be plugged in to any old router?
Some routers may have a few POE ports, but you'll probably need a couple of these.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-G ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
LISD

Post by LISD »

new2bogle wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:38 am I did end up purchasing the Lorex system linked above from Costco.
The only Lorex complaint I see from Costco reviewers is about the noisy fan on the NVR. I'm curious if you (or others who have a Lorex system) think it's noisy. (I suppose I can put it in the garage, but it gets hot in there so it's probably not the best location).

I sent an email question to Lorex 2 months ago - they never answered, so the customer support appears very good as long as you don't need it :D
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

LISD wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 am
new2bogle wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:38 am I did end up purchasing the Lorex system linked above from Costco.
The only Lorex complaint I see from Costco reviewers is about the noisy fan on the NVR. I'm curious if you (or others who have a Lorex system) think it's noisy. (I suppose I can put it in the garage, but it gets hot in there so it's probably not the best location).

I sent an email question to Lorex 2 months ago - they never answered, so the customer support appears very good as long as you don't need it :D
I don't consider my Lorex NVR fan noisy at all. It will depend on whether where you house it has good ventilation, if you put any other boxes on top of it or around it, etc.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

I replaced our Arlo system with an 8-channel Reolink, POE. It has been fantastic and rock solid and meets all your requirements.
Cheers
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

jaxxmjd wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 pm
LISD wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:57 am

I don't consider my Lorex NVR fan noisy at all. It will depend on whether where you house it has good ventilation, if you put any other boxes on top of it or around it, etc.
The Lorex fan is VERY noisy. I have it in my garage attic. I'm actually not sure if that is an ideal place for it in the TX summer, I believe the manual said operating conditions max out at 145F. I'll have to check the temp over the next weeks to see how how it is getting up there, and then may have to move it to my garage instead.

BTW - I did call customer service because I forgot the password to the device (and where I had it written down) and there is no way to reset it without calling them. It was fixed in about 5 mins, so that was good, and now the device password is in a safe place.
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

Its not cheap, but Ubiquiti has nice security products, along with really good wired and wireless networking equipment.

https://unifi-network.ui.com/camera-security
ballons

Post by ballons »

new2bogle wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:05 pm The Lorex fan is VERY noisy. I have it in my garage attic. I'm actually not sure if that is an ideal place for it in the TX summer, I believe the manual said operating conditions max out at 145F. I'll have to check the temp over the next weeks to see how how it is getting up there, and then may have to move it to my garage instead.

BTW - I did call customer service because I forgot the password to the device (and where I had it written down) and there is no way to reset it without calling them. It was fixed in about 5 mins, so that was good, and now the device password is in a safe place.
The fans exist to cool the crappy internal PoE they use. Putting it in your attic (which you should never do) is causing them to ramp up even more causing more noise. You can open the case and confirm where the fans are and what they do. There is a 99% chance there are 1-2 mounted on the sides of the case to push air out. You can measure them and order the correct sized PC case fans that are quieter.

I went with fanless PoE switches because of the fan noise.
LISD

Post by LISD »

ballons wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:44 pm
new2bogle wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:05 pm The Lorex fan is VERY noisy. I have it in my garage attic. I'm actually not sure if that is an ideal place for it in the TX summer, I believe the manual said operating conditions max out at 145F. I'll have to check the temp over the next weeks to see how how it is getting up there, and then may have to move it to my garage instead.

The fans exist to cool the crappy internal PoE they use. Putting it in your attic (which you should never do) is causing them to ramp up even more causing more noise. You can open the case and confirm where the fans are and what they do. There is a 99% chance there are 1-2 mounted on the sides of the case to push air out. You can measure them and order the correct sized PC case fans that are quieter.

That's a good suggestion. So if I had 4 cameras, the switch would have 4 ethernet cables coming into it from the cameras, and 4 ethernet cables going out to the Lorex NVR? And the power required by the cameras would be offloaded from the Lorex NVR to the switch, so the Lorex fans wouldn't even be rotating? And no modifications to the Lorex NVR are needed?
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

forgeblast wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 am
new2bogle wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:27 am There has been a recent uptick in the theft in and especially around our neighborhood to the extent that I believe I need surveillance cameras in the front of my house. My initial thought is to get one of the camera systems sold at costco (like Swann I think) that come with a set of cameras and plug into a central internet connected system somewhere in the house. To start with, 4 cameras should be enough but I would like to expand to about 12 (post pool installation I'd like to have cameras on the sides and backyard of the house too).

Right now we have a Ring (battery) for the front door but will move to google doorbell (wired) since the Ring is absolutely awful in picking up anything useful.

What I want, subject to change based on more research/thinking about it:
1) Local storage but viewable on smartphone anywhere
2) no monthly fees
3) wired - I do not want to change/charge batteries
4)?

I am thinking something like this

Thoughts?
I agree the ring front door is not the best, but the ring wired, wireless cameras are great. We have a bunch of them around the house and they really do work well. It runs us $99 a year unlimited cameras for them to store the images.
I have the Ring Pro wired doorbell and it has been fine, and the floodlight cam is great. My only complaint is the processing time when new clips have just showed up in the app there is a delay in getting them to play.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

teCh0010 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 am
forgeblast wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 am
new2bogle wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:27 am There has been a recent uptick in the theft in and especially around our neighborhood to the extent that I believe I need surveillance cameras in the front of my house. My initial thought is to get one of the camera systems sold at costco (like Swann I think) that come with a set of cameras and plug into a central internet connected system somewhere in the house. To start with, 4 cameras should be enough but I would like to expand to about 12 (post pool installation I'd like to have cameras on the sides and backyard of the house too).

Right now we have a Ring (battery) for the front door but will move to google doorbell (wired) since the Ring is absolutely awful in picking up anything useful.

What I want, subject to change based on more research/thinking about it:
1) Local storage but viewable on smartphone anywhere
2) no monthly fees
3) wired - I do not want to change/charge batteries
4)?

I am thinking something like this

Thoughts?
I agree the ring front door is not the best, but the ring wired, wireless cameras are great. We have a bunch of them around the house and they really do work well. It runs us $99 a year unlimited cameras for them to store the images.
I have the Ring Pro wired doorbell and it has been fine, and the floodlight cam is great. My only complaint is the processing time when new clips have just showed up in the app there is a delay in getting them to play.
Yes I agree, I thought that it was just because we were on dsl with 2mb per sec download and less then 1 upload. I was curious to see what would happen when we got starlink.
ballons

Post by ballons »

LISD wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:54 am
ballons wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:44 pm

That's a good suggestion. So if I had 4 cameras, the switch would have 4 ethernet cables coming into it from the cameras, and 4 ethernet cables going out to the Lorex NVR? And the power required by the cameras would be offloaded from the Lorex NVR to the switch, so the Lorex fans wouldn't even be rotating? And no modifications to the Lorex NVR are needed?
Upon further check, it appears they have now cheapened out more and put the PSU/PoE supplies as one, so getting rid of fans may not be possible anymore. They used to be just case fans.

Here are replacement fan videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCbXeyKsbCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKbeokSp3f0

I ended up returning my Lorex NVR kit. Bought cameras + switches + PCNVR. I then upgraded that to a fanless non-POE NVR I imported from China.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I haven't read the entire string, so my 2 cents might be null. It is very simple for people just to cut your internet cable at the cable box. Most systems just go down.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
LISD

Post by LISD »

Marmot wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:54 pm I haven't read the entire string, so my 2 cents might be null. It is very simple for people just to cut your internet cable at the cable box. Most systems just go down.
My internet is provided through T-Mobile (cell signal based). There isn't a wire/cable at all they could cut to disable my internet. And the box has a battery backup.

But, they could cut a cable if they wanted to. I have an old cable going up the outside wall. It's a dead cable, but they could cut it, thinking my security system would be disabled. But it wouldn't be. :wink: