is it ok to download Big Sur for MAC yet??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
relentless1

is it ok to download Big Sur for MAC yet??

Post by relentless1 »

wondering if the bugs are clear to download new os
Bogle7

Re: is it ok to download Big Sur for MAC yet??

Post by Bogle7 »

Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I started a poll on macrumors a while ago and of the 100+ responses, about 75% said yay and 25% said nay. I'm waiting till the next update before upgrading.

If you care to see what's broken you could go here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac ... -11-0.226/
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

I bought TurboTax 2020 in early November and downloaded Big Sur about two weeks later. After the download, TurboTax won't load at all. Amazon told me to talk to Apple, Apple told me to talk to TurboTax, and TurboTax told me to talk to Amazon because they're the ones who sold me the product.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Talfred wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 am I bought TurboTax 2020 in early November and downloaded Big Sur about two weeks later. After the download, TurboTax won't load at all. Amazon told me to talk to Apple, Apple told me to talk to TurboTax, and TurboTax told me to talk to Amazon because they're the ones who sold me the product.
Wow. Did you try uninstalling turbotax and then reinstalling it?
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

anoop wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 am
Talfred wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:31 am I bought TurboTax 2020 in early November and downloaded Big Sur about two weeks later. After the download, TurboTax won't load at all. Amazon told me to talk to Apple, Apple told me to talk to TurboTax, and TurboTax told me to talk to Amazon because they're the ones who sold me the product.
Yes, with no success.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Talfred wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:14 am
anoop wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 am
Yes, with no success.
Any chance you're running an antivirus program?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252055337
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

I've been running Big Sur since its release date. No issues so far.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I could not download it. Warning said I lacked disk space, but I have 30 GBs available and Big Sur takes 12 GB.
khunron

Post by khunron »

I "upgraded" to Big Sur and it caused me to lose Internet connection after about 30 minutes and required a reboot. Went back to Catalina and have no problems, like before. I'm sure it has something to do with third-party software, so I'll just wait for all the other software companies to get onboard. I didn't really like the new interface anyway, so not a big deal for me.
student

Post by student »

I have upgraded on 5 machines. It seems ok to me. One big improvement is that adjustable columns in mail is back.
msi

Post by msi »

I haven't had any problems with Big Sur.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I tried Big Sur for a couple of weeks on my 2014 Macbook Air. I like the OS, but battery life was atrocious and scrolling in Safari was choppy and delayed. Ended up restoring a backup and going back to High Sierra. Newer machines likely won't have the battery life issue.
TheoBanana

Post by TheoBanana »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:27 am I tried Big Sur for a couple of weeks on my 2014 Macbook Air. I like the OS, but battery life was atrocious and scrolling in Safari was choppy and delayed. Ended up restoring a backup and going back to High Sierra. Newer machines likely won't have the battery life issue.
I installed it on my 2nd computer. Safari is definitely still a beta version - lots of choppiness, etc. I have no idea why they moved the new tab "+". Seems like change for change sake for a lot of it. I dislike many of the small interface changes - I realize up front that that is a subjective opinion. I don't get the point of the eye candy and find it distracting. I feel like I'm digging for things more and closing more popups.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

I installed it as soon as it was released
This content is for entertainment purposes only
mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 »

I downloaded Big Sur a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues since.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

I installed it a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 MacBook Pro. So far no problems but I'm not what you would call a "power user".
destiny

Post by destiny »

Installed Big Sur last week on MBP with 16GB ram, after install performance seem to be terrible
once bitten, twice shy
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I'm running it without issue on my 2018 Mac mini. I haven't seen any major software incompatibilities, certainly far fewer than with Catalina, which removed support for 32-bit apps and thereby marooned a lot of older software on Mojave. I still have our older Mac mini (2012) in the living room running Mojave so that my son can occasionally play Rome Total War.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I installed Big Sur shortly after release. In retrospect, I probably should wait on new releases like this as the OP has done, but fortunately no major issues.

For what it's worth, here are the minor headaches I encountered, all worry-free now:

* icons in Zoom app missing. Zoom had an update available already, and that fixed the issue immediately.

* icons in Parallels app missing. The locations where the buttons were still functioned as if the buttons were there, but the button graphics were gone. I only had to endure the invisible buttons for a week, and then Parallels had an update available in the App Store that fixed the issue.

* The icon in the dock for Linux apps installed using Homebrew changed to something that resembles the Terminal icon, and this confused me for about a day

* My calendar notifications changed. They used to have both a "Snooze" button and a "Dismiss" button, but now only have a "Snooze" button. For about a day I wondered if Apple wanted me to be reminded of my nephew's birthday for the rest of the life of this computer, but then I finally realized the "Dismiss" button was replaced by an X at the top left corner.
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Any of the "early adopters" also running Carbon Copy Cloner? If so, any issues? An early e-mail from Bombich Software recommended waiting, which I am. I have a Mac mini (2018; 6-core i7; 1 TB SSD) running Catalina, with 16 GB of RAM and two, 2 TB external drives (one for CCC and one for Time Machine), LG UltraFine 4K display.

TIA
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Working fine on my 2019 iMac. I think that I actually like it better.

Still M$ 0ffice is still laggy, but mostly it's fine.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I installed it on my mid 2013 MacBook Air on the first day with no issues.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

JMacDonald wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm I installed it on my mid 2013 MacBook Air on the first day with no issues.
+1 - same MBA. I don’t like that top menu icons are smaller though.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Loaded it up a week ago on a 2017 IMac. It hung up on initial attempt to install , but loaded successfully on 2nd attempt. Could not enter a meeting using the Zoom app after installation and ended up reinstalling the Zoom app. No other issues and everything is working fine now.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

I think it's okay. It's on my 2020 MBP with no issues. That said, I'm VERY conservative about Apple "updates" these days, because so often there is some nasty little "oh we took that capability away" from Apple. Also, I have a 1 Tbyte SSD, so I make an experimental partition and install the new OS there, leaving my daily driver install untouched. If you have the space, I recommend this approach.

And I initially HATED the look of BS. Washed out, low contrast, silly uses of transparency and color bleed through from windows into the menu bar, etc. However, I have gotten used to it.

And, I have to say, it feels faster than my Mojave install, which I did not expect. I've had few compatibility issues and the developers seem to be making BS updates, with an exception of one or two (Wave Metrics, for anyone who uses Igor).

If you want to be really conservative, just don't install it until you think you need it. OTOH, if you just want to try it out, I think it is basically ready for prime time, but your usage case might be different.
beyou

Post by beyou »

JMacDonald wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm I installed it on my mid 2013 MacBook Air on the first day with no issues.
Same here, using Big Sur for about 2-3 weeks and only one minor issue that just required a new version of some package. Otherwise great.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

With Big Sur I can no longer use AirPlay to display my MacBook Pro screen to either of my Apple TV's. My son has the same problem with his MBP at a different location on a different network. Based on various Mac forums I've consulted it's a common issue.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Installed on my desktop Mac and MacBook Air without any problems. I like it.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I just recently found the time (and courage) to upgrade my trusty old MBP 13” of late 2013 vintage to Catalina. Just like previous upgrades (*), Apple surprised me with some bugs, among them that my Logitech keyboard isn’t recognized after a reboot until I plug in an old USB keyboard to authenticate with (might be this issue; haven’t had time to experiment).

I might actually never bother to upgrade the machine to Big Sur since I am hoping to get a suitable replacement MPB in 2021 (current M1-based 13” model isn’t it).

(*) I am still “traumatized” by a previous upgrade - it may have been Snow Leopard - that broke access to my Infrant NAS. “Fortunately” others had the same problem and eventually someone found a workaround, but it was rather inconvenient to not have access to my data from my main machine. Since then I have been more reluctant to take updates and upgrades shortly after release. “It just works” is just marketing.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I have a mid 2014 Pro and a HP printer. Too many issues. I am going to hold off for at least for another week.
dbr

Post by dbr »

With us we are frightened to death to ever upgrade anything on an iMAC fearing that something won't work anymore. We have more problems with that D computer than any other I have ever had. Right now we are on 10.14 and I am not even going to Catalina. It was enough of a trauma for my wife to see iPHOTO changed for PHOTOS. If something happens to her pictures all H will break loose. We also have to use Chrome and not Safari because there is some webpage she looks at everyday that won't display properly on Safari for some reason. But Chrome on a MAC is a mess. Frankly I wish we had never bought a MAC and I had just set her up with a PC and learned how to do everything there. Being as I have multiple iPhones and iPADs it might not be a bad thing to run Big Sur with a more similar look to iOS, but handing that to my wife is not going to happen. She is not the one with the Apple devices. What an irony that the dedicated PC user has all the Apple devices and the iMAC user has none of them.
James2

Post by James2 »

I managed to upgrade on my 2015 MacBook Pro the other day. I did have to make room for the upgrade to function, but the upgrade was painless.

I did get TT 2020, downloaded and installed yesterday. It’s running fine, 2019 data transferred and waiting for more info!

J
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Got it on my older macbook air.
Most things seem fine but it does run slower than the prior version of the OS.

Only noticeable in some areas - for example - ZOOM takes forever to join a meeting now / lots of cycling.

Generally though, no issues.
Get rich or die tryin'
dbr

Post by dbr »

dziuniek wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 am
Only noticeable in some areas - for example - ZOOM takes forever to join a meeting now / lots of cycling.
Why is that? Such a result would be really, really annoying to us. We are on an iMAC running 10.14 and Zoom is perfect.

But is the problem your older machine is under resourced, not enough RAM, etc.?
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

dbr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 am With us we are frightened to death to ever upgrade anything on an iMAC fearing that something won't work anymore. We have more problems with that D computer than any other I have ever had. Right now we are on 10.14 and I am not even going to Catalina. It was enough of a trauma for my wife to see iPHOTO changed for PHOTOS. If something happens to her pictures all H will break loose. We also have to use Chrome and not Safari because there is some webpage she looks at everyday that won't display properly on Safari for some reason. But Chrome on a MAC is a mess. Frankly I wish we had never bought a MAC and I had just set her up with a PC and learned how to do everything there. Being as I have multiple iPhones and iPADs it might not be a bad thing to run Big Sur with a more similar look to iOS, but handing that to my wife is not going to happen. She is not the one with the Apple devices. What an irony that the dedicated PC user has all the Apple devices and the iMAC user has none of them.
I have a MacBook Air, an iPhone 11 and an iPad. My pictures are in the cloud and are on all three of my devices. You could do the same and not be concerned about something happening to your wife's pictures.
Best Wishes, | Joe
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

dbr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:08 am
dziuniek wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 am
Why is that? Such a result would be really, really annoying to us. We are on an iMAC running 10.14 and Zoom is perfect.

But is the problem your older machine is under resourced, not enough RAM, etc.?
It is old, true.
Didn't have the issues prior to the update.
Get rich or die tryin'
dbr

Post by dbr »

JMacDonald wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:55 am
dbr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 am With us we are frightened to death to ever upgrade anything on an iMAC fearing that something won't work anymore. We have more problems with that D computer than any other I have ever had. Right now we are on 10.14 and I am not even going to Catalina. It was enough of a trauma for my wife to see iPHOTO changed for PHOTOS. If something happens to her pictures all H will break loose. We also have to use Chrome and not Safari because there is some webpage she looks at everyday that won't display properly on Safari for some reason. But Chrome on a MAC is a mess. Frankly I wish we had never bought a MAC and I had just set her up with a PC and learned how to do everything there. Being as I have multiple iPhones and iPADs it might not be a bad thing to run Big Sur with a more similar look to iOS, but handing that to my wife is not going to happen. She is not the one with the Apple devices. What an irony that the dedicated PC user has all the Apple devices and the iMAC user has none of them.
I have a MacBook Air, an iPhone 11 and an iPad. My pictures are in the cloud and are on all three of my devices. You could do the same and not be concerned about something happening to your wife's pictures.
I'm inclined to look at maybe Carbonite. One problem is to not backup the photos library but rather to backup the set of jpgs, etc. themselves. I do have a pretty complete set of her pictures as files on an exFAT external hard drive (a 1TB SSD device.)

Her problem is when things don't work right trying to import, find, and organize files and also exporting them.

One issue is whether or not your iCLOUD files would be vulnerable to ransomware if that has infected your computer. She runs TimeMachine, of course, but any device connected to your machine can be infected at the same time.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I updated my 2018 Mac Mini at release. No issues to report.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Well, good luck with WIndows. Good luck with moving all those photos from Mac>Windows. And if DW was traumatized by a program changing names, I'd say buckle up.

As for actionable advice, get a large flash drive and export all those photos. And do regular Time Machine Backups.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

dbr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:11 am With us we are frightened to death to ever upgrade anything on an iMAC fearing that something won't work anymore. Right now we are on 10.14 and I am not even going to Catalina.
Longtime Mac fan here (buy not a fanboi), love the iMac, still on High Sierra and sticking with it unless I hear a compelling reason otherwise. The upgrade to HS was a pain as far as programs not working, research, reinstall, etc etc and I have trouble seeing how the upgrade provided any benefit.
mrc

Post by mrc »

My upgrade to Big Sur on three machines (an iMac pro and two macbook pros) went fine. If you happen to use the drawing program Intaglio (by Purgatory Design), please be advised it won't run on Big Sur, and doesn't appear to be supported to do so. That's a shame, b/c it's a great drawing program.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I know this post is about Big Sur but I installed OSX 14.2 on my iPad and after 2 hrs on the phone with Apple support I had to take it into the Apple store to get the update to install. The OS download froze my iPad. My iMac still won't recognize the iPad when connected by USB.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:43 pm I just recently found the time (and courage) to upgrade my trusty old MBP 13” of late 2013 vintage to Catalina. Just like previous upgrades (*), Apple surprised me with some bugs, among them that my Logitech keyboard isn’t recognized after a reboot until I plug in an old USB keyboard to authenticate with (might be this issue; haven’t had time to experiment).

I might actually never bother to upgrade the machine to Big Sur since I am hoping to get a suitable replacement MPB in 2021 (current M1-based 13” model isn’t it).

(*) I am still “traumatized” by a previous upgrade - it may have been Snow Leopard - that broke access to my Infrant NAS. “Fortunately” others had the same problem and eventually someone found a workaround, but it was rather inconvenient to not have access to my data from my main machine. Since then I have been more reluctant to take updates and upgrades shortly after release. “It just works” is just marketing.
A few notes. Late 2013, and 2014 MBP were originally on the list of hardware "OK'd" to run Big Sur. I updated my 2014 MBP. I then decided to sell it, so, following Apple protocol, deleted the OS, and went to re-install. Guess what....they have since REMOVED those MBP from the list, and I could not re-install, nor would it install from the recovery partition. It was a real PITA - had to download the entire OS, create boot USB, yada Yada..... better than some. It was removed from supported devices, as a BUNCH of folks BRICKED their MBP trying to upgrade to Big Sur.

Second: No more 32 bit support, so, yes SOME older software will not run under Big Sur.

While it was installed, it ran fine, BTW.

Kind regards,
Greg in West Mitten
BedHead2020

Post by BedHead2020 »

I see that the .2 release of Big Sur just went out to the beta testers. Its focus is reportedly on bug fixes. I'll probably take a chance and upgrade after .2 is released. I haven't been a fan of Catalina. It seems that Apple's OS's have been getting buggier and buggier over the years. I still believe that Snow Leopard was the most solidly performing OS in the entire MacOS X lineage.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

relentless1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:45 pm wondering if the bugs are clear to download new os
Mac is not spelled with all capitals.
KESP

Post by KESP »

vbdoug wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:04 pm I have a mid 2014 Pro and a HP printer. Too many issues. I am going to hold off for at least for another week.
I upgraded to Big Sur, and my old HP laser jet printer would not work. It wasn’t wireless so I couldn’t use Air print. There were also no driver updates available (too old). I ended up getting a new wireless printer and giving my old printer to a friend.
Bogle7

Yes

Post by Bogle7 »

I just upgraded my iMac (late 2020) this afternoon and have not seen any problems.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.