Saving $ on my coffee habit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: Saving $ on my coffee habit

Post by TomatoTomahto »

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 pm But I highly recommend folks consider a pro-sumer coffee machine for making espresso/cappuccino/machiatto/latte.
And if that’s a bridge too far, you can buy an inexpensive milk frother on Amazon. Use Grassmilk or whatever grass fed milk you prefer (I get ours delivered from Wegmans, and the creamier milk froths up beautifully).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

lthenderson wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:07 am
LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 am Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
My daily coffee expenses are $0. My method is not drinking the stuff. By your calculations, I have saved $102,930 thus far with my method. :shock:
Not a fair comparison unless you include all beverages. If you just drink tap water.

How are you getting $102,930? Using $4/day or $8/day?

If you brew at home, the cost is more like $1/day.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Community Coffee - $6.99
Klean Canteen - 16 oz Insulated Coffee Bottle $30
Coffee Measure Cup - $4.00
Melitta Pour Over Coffee Filter Cone $10
Melitta #2 Cone Filters per 100 - $6

Better Coffee, stays hot long time in Klean Kanteen, save alot of monies, don't have to go to store, throw the cone/grounds out in the yard..... easy peazy......
talacker

Post by talacker »

Splurge and get a real espresso maker. I like the Breville with built in grinder. Use multiple times a day and always works perfectly. It was expensive but I got it at a steep discount and am quite happy with it.
IrishPotofGold63

Post by IrishPotofGold63 »

I am one of the weirdos that like the taste of Starbucks (well most coffee too).
Few years back bought their Verismo coffee maker with frother for $99.
Buy my pods thru Bed Bath and Beyond for less than $1/pod since the Starbucks store is no longer.

Figure I will need to buy a new machine eventually and will probably go with nespresso.

Cheers
Everybody have fun tonight....everybody Wang Chung tonight (Wang Chung)
Taz

Post by Taz »

Most days we make simple drip coffee (grind beans from Costco or supermarket) & take to work in insulated 16-20 oz stainless tumblers from Walmart. Stays nice & hot. Sometimes we use an Aeropress to make cuban style cafe con leche (Cafe Bustelo or similar). Might even foam the milk with a 2.99 Ikea gadget and drizzle caramel to be fancy. :)

We had a low-end Brevilla that made so-so expresso and the steamer mainly watered down the milk so we gave it away.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 am I spend about $4/day for coffee from a coffee shop. Sometimes $8 if I go again in the afternoon.

I'd like to reduce this and save a bit more $.

It seems I could go for a Keurig or Nespresso machine and get that number down to about $1 per coffee pod?

I have no idea how this compares to homemade pour over or similar.

Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
If you have a Panera by you they have a monthly coffee subscription for $9.95 per month. I used it for about 3 months when I was on the road for work. You can have up to 6 cups a day for free with the subscription.
TSWNY

Post by TSWNY »

I've been doing a coffee subscription from Black Rifle Coffee for a few years now. It's shipped right to my house and it costs me about $1 per cup. I love their coffee and they support great causes. I got tired of waiting in line at Starbucks and dealing with the annoyance of driving away only to realize that sometimes my order was wrong.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:35 am I pay between $6-$12 for a tub of coffee grounds (between 1.5 - 3.0 lbs), and will generally last about a month.
Roughly $15 for the 32oz drip coffee maker I bought 2 years ago.
I use tap water, and drink the coffee black.
Same here, except we put milk in our coffee.

Before I retired, my office suite had a similar setup. We took turns buying new tubs of ground coffee, and filters.

We buy coffee "out" only with meals at restaurants, or rest/gas stops on road trips. I could probably count on my fingers the number of times I've been in a Starbucks or similar establishment, if I could remember them.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 am I spend about $4/day for coffee from a coffee shop. Sometimes $8 if I go again in the afternoon.

It seems I could go for a Keurig or Nespresso machine and get that number down to about $1 per coffee pod?

Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
I venture to guess an actual cup of coffee costs up to around 51 cents per day if brewed at home.

Let's break that down....

We usually get about 10 years out of a coffee maker. Latest one cost about $100. (Equals a cost of about 2.7 cents per day to own the machine. More if your machine breaks down and dies after fewer years of use.)

It comes with a washable gold filter, so no need to buy paper filters (gold filter is included in the purchase of the machine)...

It takes about 8 ounces of dry ground to make a pot of coffee each day in our house... (cost averages 27 -35 cents per cup depending on beans/brand used)

Brew, pour, and enjoy...

Add in the cost of the actual coffee cup (some last years, some break when you drop them), the cost of electricity to brew the pot (no idea what that is per day), the cost of a travel mug to gulp the java during the commute, and any soap and water and electricity for washing the cup and pot each day.

Most likely that all adds up to a real cost of 35 cents to 51 cents per cup each day (machine/filter, grounds, water, electricity, actual coffee cup/mug, soap and water and electricity to wash the cups, pot and filter).

More break down of the cost of home brewed coffee...

https://www.coffeedetective.com/how-muc ... -home.html
https://coffeemakerpicks.com/cost-per-cup-of-coffee/

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

An Aeropress and whatever cheap coffee I feel like picking up at Walmart works for me. An advantage of the Aeropress is it should last a lifetime.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

OP said they spend $4 for a cup of coffee, I wonder if they're actually getting "coffee" :confused
Even at Starbucks, a cup of actual coffee is only about $2, and they have all the sugar and cream you want out on the counter.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I use one of these

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/meli ... one/152233

and store brand Columbian or French Roast.

Sometimes Community Coffee, and sometimes mid-morning, I'll make a cup with a teaspoon of instant coffee.
Not expensive at all.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:08 am OP said they spend $4 for a cup of coffee, I wonder if they're actually getting "coffee" :confused
Even at Starbucks, a cup of actual coffee is only about $2, and they have all the sugar and cream you want out on the counter.
Near me it's $2.33 (tax included) for a tall (small) pike. I doubt even a trenta (extra large) would come to $4.00.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

For most daily Sbux et al consumers, it's a lifestyle choice. People love getting into that line for that made-to-order goodness each day. It was part of my daily routine for a long time - nice long walk, followed by Sbux coffee.

There is some value in being served exactly what you want by a friendly face. But over time, that value comes at a pretty high price.

The first thing I did was move to a $12 Mr. Coffee. Later, I added a $20 grinder. About once a month, I'd go out and pay the premium, but for the most part, I enjoyed my own coffee for years. After a few months, I stopped counting the savings, but it was a LOT. Many years later, I received a fancier drip machine as a gift and upgraded my grinder. And now, I have a Keurig, too.

We eat out often now, but still trim on coffee expense despite the upgrades over the years.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I too fall victim to the Starbucks luxury occasionally.

But I buy a high quality espresso and make Americanos at home in my simple Krups espresso machine I’ve had for two decades.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I use a Melita cone pour over. I buy a variety of different brands, Starbucks, Peet's, Death Wish, some of the single origin bean from Aldi which are surprisingly decent. I think I am getting a few months of Atlas beans for Christmas. I like a variety.

I had a blade grinder and was gifted a nice burr grinder. I notice zero difference. I was also gifted an Aeropress and hated everything about it.
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Less than 10 Starbucks purchases in my lifetime. I use a simple Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker (ten or more years old) and the 3 lb cans of Costco Medium Roast Colombian coffee. It works for my wife and I.
kelway

Post by kelway »

Do you by chance live in a market with Panera Bread? They have an $8.99 monthly coffee subscription that has saved me a LOT as I visit them daily... I get $60/month value for $9.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:44 am
Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:33 am ...
What does Warren Buffet drink?
5 cans of Cherry Coke , daily
Is that really true?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

iamblessed wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 pm
Is that really true?
I had a different source initially, the quote below modifies the 'cherry' part slightly, with him claiming:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/in ... airy-queen
... Buffett said he typically has three cokes during the day and two at night and occasionally treats himself to a cherry coke.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Costco wholebean. Barr grinder. French press (medium roast bean ) or Italian Moca (if you use dark bean). Drink with bone china not paper cup. Pure black coffee with some pastry. Yam,
checkyourmath

Post by checkyourmath »

Buy a Breville. You will never go to a coffeeshop again! It is one of the few things we owe that I actually love.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

If it's just you: Aeropress. Under $30. If it's just you and spouse: Aeropress. For more people, French Press or Pourover (chemex, melitta, lots of choices). Maybe a thermos to keep the hot coffee in.

BTW, if you go Aeropress, this makes it a bit better. Not suddenly miraculous espresso, but better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079Y ... =1&fpw=alm

I don't know how much my cost is per cup, because it is low enough that I just don't care, but likely 10% of what you're spending.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Keurig plus high quality reusable kcups.
Save money, the environment and better for your health since the cheap plastic kcups leach out chemicals.

I drink 3 10oz cups of coffee a day and spend $30/month on 3 12oz bags of ground coffee.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I pour the brewed coffee from the french press through a stainless steel mesh cone pour over filter to get the gunk out.

Does anybody else do this?

Hot water comes from a "hot pot" type water heater thingy.
Then kona beans ground in a burr grinder
Small 12 oz stainless french press
then the stainless mesh cone pour over to get the gunk out.

Only drink 1-2 large mugs every morning while waiting for the sun to show up.
No store bought coffee.
Don't care for coffee from starbucks, fast foods, restaurants, etc. (too bitter, too strong, too hot, too much money)

So the cost of coffee per day for me is pennies compared to all other food things.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Afty

Post by Afty »

Burr grinder
Whole bean coffee
Melita pour over

Accessories (non essential):
Calibrated thermometer to get the water temp just right
Kitchen scale for weighing the beans
Insulated tumbler
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

For the ultimate in savings and quality you need to home roast. For $4.50-$5.00 a pound, and sometimes even cheaper, I have the best and freshest single-origin coffee you can get. When you buy pre-roasted you don’t know how old it is unless you pay top dollar. My roasts are never over a week old when I drink them. And besides that it’s fun. I get my green beans here: https://greencoffeebuyingclub.com/
UserFace

Post by UserFace »

Agree with the advice to buy your own beans - get yourself a decent burr grinder and an Aeropress. WAY cheaper and often better coffee than going to a coffee shop.

If you're into any kind of DIY stuff, I HIGHLY recommend roasting your own beans. You can do it with a popcorn popper: It's quick, easy, and super interesting. Unroasted specialty coffee is $5-6 a pound, so when you roast yourself, you will cut the cost of coffee in half AND it will be much tastier and much fresher. One of the best ROI DIY interests I have. Buy this popper for $20 and it comes with 4 pounds of raw coffee beans: https://www.sweetmarias.com/nostalgia-e ... opper.html
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I endorse the notion of using a popcorn popper and roasting your own. Sweet Maria's is my go-to source for beans and I scour local thrift shops for corn poppers, no mesh on the bottom of the vessel and at least 1250 watts, better to go with 1500. They last a couple of years before they punk out, I always have a replacement on hand.

I roast on my front porch, year-round, it takes about 4 minutes to roast 115 grams, I do 2 batches at a time, lasts me about a week.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:01 am My grinder ($200) and Moccamaster ($300) will last indefinitely so call it $0.20 daily per person
I agree they add an insignificant amount to the daily cost, but they will not last forever. Burrs wear out, and the Moccamaster will eventually as well, though it will be a long time for either. My Moccamaster formed a pinhole in the heating element resulting in an internal leak and tripped breakers after about 13 years. The 230V element can be purchased online for about $73 plus overseas shipping, but the 115V seems to only be available used, for about $40. Then of course I'd have to rewire and re-plumb the thing, which just wasn't worth it for me.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

There's a Peet's cafe in the Capital One branch near me. $2.49 for a medium latte if you pay with a CapOne credit card. That's less than half the price vs the Starbucks across the street.
mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 »

It's not the best coffee but if you have a Panera Bread near you they have a subscription plan for $9 a month for unlimited coffee with first month free. Can get a coffee every two hours. It's saved me a ton of money.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/mypan ... alllsummer
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:39 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:01 am My grinder ($200) and Moccamaster ($300) will last indefinitely so call it $0.20 daily per person
I agree they add an insignificant amount to the daily cost, but they will not last forever. Burrs wear out, and the Moccamaster will eventually as well, though it will be a long time for either. My Moccamaster formed a pinhole in the heating element resulting in an internal leak and tripped breakers after about 13 years. The 230V element can be purchased online for about $73 plus overseas shipping, but the 115V seems to only be available used, for about $40. Then of course I'd have to rewire and re-plumb the thing, which just wasn't worth it for me.
You're not so lazy, @Lazydavid :D My Moccamaster hasn't failed, but I did have to replace my grinder. At $0.20 per day per person, I guess I amortize it at roughly 3.5 years or so, probably being a bit harsh.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 am Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
My daily coffee expenses are $0. My method is not drinking the stuff. By your calculations, I have saved $102,930 thus far with my method. :shock:
That's me. I am 59 and have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Just don't like the taste. Love the smell, though. It's cheaper to smell it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 am
That's me. I am 59 and have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Just don't like the taste. Love the smell, though. It's cheaper to smell it.
Similar, I even worked at a cafe in high school. Smells great, never had any interest in trying the taste.
hudson

Post by hudson »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:47 am
MDfan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 am
Similar, I even worked at a cafe in high school. Smells great, never had any interest in trying the taste.
Anything that works is good technique!
I spent many winter nights on radio/switchboard watch in a heated command post tent...with bottomless coffee from 8AM to 4AM (from the same large coffee dispenser) the next morning. The 8AM coffee was good. It was turpentine later, but we kept drinking it. At 4AM, a cook got the dispenser, cleaned it, added new coffee, served the troops, and 8AM it was back on top of the gasoline heater for another day. I then became a lifetime coffee drinker.
sneezeslayer

Post by sneezeslayer »

Keurigs are so incredibly wasteful and harmful for the environment it is absurd. Even the creator of Kcups agrees: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/keurig-k ... r-regrets/

On top of those concerns, the coffee from a Keurig won't approach coffee shop quality. If you absolutely need the convenience of a single touch machine or are approaching zombie-like levels of cognition before your first cup, I would recommend a Senseo machine: https://www.amazon.com/SENSEO-Original- ... 01D4PRG3Q/

These are single use, but they are coffee grounds in a paper/cloth so they are able to be composted unlike Kcups. More towards espresso-style, but still quite drinkable.

If you don't need that level of convenience, my recommendation for a standard drip coffee machine is a Moccamaster: https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Mocca ... 002S4DI2S/

They are expensive, but many last 30+ years. They are made by hand with quality materials in the Netherlands, have sold millions, and replacement parts are readily available. The thermal carafe models are especially great (a bit sturdier and no burnt coffee). It also helps that the coffee made from these is some of the best I've had.

[links formatted by admin LadyGeek]
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:46 pm
iamblessed wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:41 pm
Is that really true?
I had a different source initially, the quote below modifies the 'cherry' part slightly, with him claiming:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/in ... airy-queen
... Buffett said he typically has three cokes during the day and two at night and occasionally treats himself to a cherry coke.
Wow that is about 50 spoons of sugar a day.
slo-cruiser

Post by slo-cruiser »

+1 for Panera (or any other coffee subscription offering). I pay $8.99 per month. Last month I had 33 cups of coffee, so ~$0.27 per cup.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I will jump in with our daily 'grind'.

Costco coffee beans (whatever is on sale)...usually the Kirkland brand. About $15.00 for 40 ounces. We use about 2 ounces of beans daily. Grind with Cuisenart grinder. Use one coffee filter (paper). Bunn coffee maker.

So for about 75 cents daily we get the coffee beans plus a few cents for filter. The coffee maker makes 10 cups, which is 80 ounces...5 actual 16 ounce services. I add another cup of water later in the morning which ensures we do not run out.

So...figure without amortization cost of the coffee maker or grinder about $1.00 per day (actually less) for 5 solid services - 20 cents per day. I use a Thermos coffee cup with lid...keeps coffee hot/warm for hours.

Pre-Covid when I was out seeing my customers, a stop at McDonalds for a cup of coffee - $1 or less was a very good value.

I do not need the coffee "experience", just the caffeine.

If you havent watched last night's Shameless (episode 1 of the final season)...do so. In typical Galligher behavior, the trendy coffee shop culture is addressed. I will miss that show.

Ed
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

I buy my Caribou coffee through Walmart. I used the gold mesh metal strainer, which I loved, but my triglycerides went up when using that. It is better to use a paper filter if you have cholesterol problems. So I went back to paper
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

I have become my parents...got a percolator last Christmas.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I buy pods of Maxwell House Medium Blend at Sam's. 30¢ a day is my cost for a nice cup of black coffee. Simple suits me. My wife on the other hand spends double that. :D
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

Murr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:59 am Big bag of beans from Costco in a pour over. Any of the Keurig style cups I've had are always way too weak so you may be disappointed coming from a coffeehouse cup. A $13 Costco bag lasts about a month for two of us.
yep!
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I buy whole beans that cost between $9-12/lb.
Grind them with this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSKGLMM/)
Add ~23g to this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMQOZ1U/)
Drink it out of an older version of this (https://rticoutdoors.com/Travel-Mugs?na ... rial=Matte)

One 12oz cup/day.