Saving $ on my coffee habit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LunaLauren

Saving $ on my coffee habit

Post by LunaLauren »

I spend about $4/day for coffee from a coffee shop. Sometimes $8 if I go again in the afternoon.

I'd like to reduce this and save a bit more $.

It seems I could go for a Keurig or Nespresso machine and get that number down to about $1 per coffee pod?

I have no idea how this compares to homemade pour over or similar.

Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
Murr

Re: Saving $ on my coffee habit

Post by Murr »

Big bag of beans from Costco in a pour over. Any of the Keurig style cups I've had are always way too weak so you may be disappointed coming from a coffeehouse cup. A $13 Costco bag lasts about a month for two of us.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a Black Friday Keurig Mini. Was $50.

It holds no water. No tank for holding water and building up gunk.

K cups are 30 to 50 cents. I usually buy 72 or 80 or 100 packs.

The Starbucks k cups are closer to $1 or more. You can look for deals.

A $7 Melitta and some cone filters makes a better cup. But it requires a little more work.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I go through three $15 one pound bags of coffee beans a month. I use a Kitchen Aid grinder and a Chemex pourover carafe. That works out to $1.50 a day.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I buy a bag of organic coffee from costco for around $10. I make two cup a day for around .25 cents in a pour over.
erebusxc47

Post by erebusxc47 »

Bag of beans and Grinder from the store.
Boiling water in a kettle.
French press.

Pretty fantastic coffee that can be made in under 10 minutes with maybe an actual minute of work.
Calico

Post by Calico »

I have a Keurig. If you want to go that route, you can save even more by not buying pre-made coffee pods. I have reusable pods and buy loose coffee. It's cheaper and you get to blend it as strong as you want. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... eruig+cups

I would suggest, if you really love your coffee shop brew to not give it up. Just make it a special treat. Although, in time, you may find you prefer the cup you make over the coffee shop's.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I use a french press at home. Does 4 servings. I use it twice a day probably.

I buy coffee weekly at my local supermarket and do a medium to rough grind. That runs me about $8 per week.

Half gallon of Oat Milk is $5 per week.

I can save some money buying coffee at Costco ($8 for 3 lbs) but the grind is a bit too fine for my french press.

We also have an espresso machine at home but it's a chore to use. We find ourselves going to the local coffee shop once a week for a latte just as a treat.
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 am I go through three $15 one pound bags of coffee beans a month. I use a Kitchen Aid grinder and a Chemex pourover carafe. That works out to $1.50 a day.
Similar to this for me. Without knowing your situation, you could consider patronizing your local coffee shop half of the time and making at home the other half. Especially if it is a local small business. Single serve (non-reusable) coffee pods are the devil 👿.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

houseofnine wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:16 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 am I go through three $15 one pound bags of coffee beans a month. I use a Kitchen Aid grinder and a Chemex pourover carafe. That works out to $1.50 a day.
Similar to this for me. Without knowing your situation, you could consider patronizing your local coffee shop half of the time and making at home the other half. Especially if it is a local small business. Single serve (non-reusable) coffee pods are the devil 👿.
My local coffee shop is a Starbucks. I feel no need to support a multi-national corporation. However, an independent grocery store that I visit two or three times a month recently added a coffee bar in the corner, and I sometimes buy a double espresso to sip while I shop.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Do you think this coffee consumption is a ritual or a habit? Getting coffee could be a ritual that helps prepare yourself mentally for the stresses of work, i.e willingly treating yourself to have a sense of control prior to going to a place you might not really want to be and it helps you cope with the sinking feeling of being at work.

In this case you could buy a decent at home coffee maker, set up a dedicated coffee station, get a few quality mugs, buy some whole bean coffee at Costco and blending there or at home fresh and spending a few minutes "relaxing" at home before heading to work. You could also buy a stainless steel travel mug to enjoy coffee on the way to and at work. You could reward yourself with one morning or afternoon coffee shop coffee a week.

If it's a habit, simply wean yourself off of the habit. Buy yourself a basic coffee machine, get some decent coffee, make it at home and put it in a mug on the way to work. Think of something you want to buy that's around $150 and move $4 a day to your savings each day you don't get coffee out and buy this "luxury" item. For example, a Bunn 4 minute coffee maker is around $150. You could save for this in a month by not getting the coffee out.

At home, we have a coffee station in our kitchen, nothing too extravagant, but it has its special space on the counter. We bought a Bunn coffee maker, we buy whole bean coffee from Costco, we have Fiestaware mugs for at home use and use yetis for travel coffee. We still occasionally get coffee out, maybe 1-2 times a week, but I think we are saving in the long run while still being satisfied with our coffee experience.

I think for us, coffee is a ritual we stumbled upon in our late 20's that helps us cope with adult life.

:sharebeer
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I pay between $6-$12 for a tub of coffee grounds (between 1.5 - 3.0 lbs), and will generally last about a month.
Roughly $15 for the 32oz drip coffee maker I bought 2 years ago.
I use tap water, and drink the coffee black.
I will on occasion have an expensive coffee/espresso/milk-shake when out, but my daily coffee "habit" probably costs <$0.50 a day.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:21 am
houseofnine wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:16 am
My local coffee shop is a Starbucks. I feel no need to support a multi-national corporation. However, an independent grocery store that I visit two or three times a month recently added a coffee bar in the corner, and I sometimes buy a double espresso to sip while I shop.
Not to mention, Starbucks coffee is crummy, burnt tasting, coffee. I don't save money on it, but I use 100% Kona coffee beans because it doesn't give me heartburn. Given that I don't drink soda, beer, wine, liquor, juice, etc., I figure that I'm good :D with my well water and every now and then, a smoothie.

If you want to save money, OP, get reasonable beans locally (e.g., Peet's Major Dickason's Blend), a reasonable grinder (or if you really want to save money, buy it pre-ground (shudder), and do a pourover. Inexpensive and probably 80% as good as anything better. Certainly better than pods, even absent the wasteful pod issue.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

A cheap Mister Coffee and well insulated thermos bottle is all you need if you're really serious about saving money.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 am I spend about $4/day for coffee from a coffee shop. Sometimes $8 if I go again in the afternoon.

It seems I could go for a Keurig or Nespresso machine and get that number down to about $1 per coffee pod?

Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
I assume if you’re spending $4 for a cup of a coffee you aren’t getting just a regular cup of coffee. A venti coffee at Starbucks is under $3 where I live in NJ. What specifically are you drinking? If you’re going to some artisanal place that does charge $4/cup I would suggest the easiest way to cut your expense is to start going to Dunkin’ Donuts or McDonalds. You’d instantly save 50%+.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

AeroPress coffee maker is around $30 and just needs hot water. Make a great cup of coffee too. 2 tbls of fine ground coffee beans per 8oz of water. A pound of beans will give you a lot of cups.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We grind and brew our own. I don't know how much we spend. I order beans online from a roaster we used to use in Milwaukee -- about $12-14 per pound of beans. We grind to order. Takes very little time.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

I get whole beans from Juan Valdez (shipped). My last order was $83.30 for 6 bags (500 gm each).
Secura all stainless steel French Press (about $28).
Conical burr grinder. (old, was free to me, but these can be about $100).
Water from an under the sink reverse osmosis system.

I calculated that my cost of coffee beans for a 12 ounce cup is about $ 0.40
One could amortize the other costs in various ways.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Seems like a no brainer, brew your own.

My wife drinks a couple cups of Foldgers every morning. It's not worth figuring out the expense.
elle

Post by elle »

My coffee habit:

$50 cuisines the grinder
$300 at the time for my moccamaster
$30 monthly for beans @ Seattle Coffee Gear (this is a two bag per month subscription of single origin coffees mostly)

We are on the high end for cost but drink some very enjoyable coffees from local roasters. Outside of the fixed cost for the appliances, we are at about .50 per cup (big cups, not 8 ounces)
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I have a Keurig and the pods I use cost $30 for a box of 100. I use 2 pods daily so the cost is 60 cents/day (about $200 per year).

I also stop by Starbucks once or twice a week as my wife likes their lattes. To bring the overall cost down for that a bit, I buy Starbucks gift cards from a grocery store using the American Express Blue Cash Preferred credit card and load the gift card onto the Starbucks app. The credit card earns 6% cash back at grocery stores and the grocery store gives 2% back on gift card purchases which can be used toward gas purchased at the gas station associated with the grocery store. When I use the Starbucks app to pay for the coffee, points are accumulated. I use those points to get myself a regular coffee rather than toward my wife’s latte purchases as the redemption value is better.

We used to go to Starbucks daily but have reduced it quite a bit. My wife buys the syrup for the lattes directly from Starbucks ($10 for a pretty big container), and makes her drinks at home now for a much lower cost. She says it’s not quite the same but the savings, both in terms of money as well as time (no need to leave the house) is nice.
elle

Post by elle »

health teacher wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am At home, we have a coffee station in our kitchen, nothing too extravagant, but it has its special space on the counter. We bought a Bunn coffee maker, we buy whole bean coffee from Costco, we have Fiestaware mugs for at home use and use yetis for travel coffee. We still occasionally get coffee out, maybe 1-2 times a week, but I think we are saving in the long run while still being satisfied with our coffee experience.

I think for us, coffee is a ritual we stumbled upon in our late 20's that helps us cope with adult life.

I love this. We have a coffee station and use yetis for travel too. +100.

We also have two espros for when we feel in the mood for a French press style or really on the go. We have a zojirushi hot water boiler too. We take all hot beverages in this house seriously. For us too it is a ritual. Coffee to gear up for the day. Tea in the evening when we settle in after dinner.
hudson

Post by hudson »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 am I spend about $4/day for coffee from a coffee shop. Sometimes $8 if I go again in the afternoon.

Nescafe Clasico Instant or Clasico Mild Instant with powdered creamer and yellow sweetener.
Probably 35¢ a cup. I learned about Nescafe Clasico in an older Bogleheads discussion.
I've done the beans, the grinder, pour over, Keurig, coffee bags, and french press. All are good. I use a Keurig or a microwave to make hot water.
Since I'm retired, I no longer get coffee at a drive thru. I make it at home.
I think that I must have 2 cups every morning.
Coffee is like beer. I really like good beer or good coffee, but I'll be happy with any beer or any coffee.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Large coffee thermos: https://www.google.com/search?q=large+c ... s&tbm=isch

Conversion factors.
8-10 ounces in standard coffee mug.
11-15 ounces in large coffee mug.
1-quart thermos = 32-ounces.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

hudson wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:17 am
I think that I must have 2 cups every morning.
Coffee is like beer. I really like good beer or good coffee, but I'll be happy with any beer or any coffee.
^^^^^ This guy gets it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I had never calculated the cost of our coffee before, but this thread made me do so.

For 100% Kona beans priority shipped from Hawaii to MA: $5.50 per day. My wife and I both drink it, and when one of our sons is here with his GF, they consume a lot. I estimate average $2.50 per person daily.

My grinder ($200) and Moccamaster ($300) will last indefinitely so call it $0.20 daily per person

Filters (8 cents each, call it average 5 cents daily per person). Our well water is essentially free and good

So, per person average is $2.75 per person daily for first rate coffee.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

A bag of coffee runs about $6. Lasts my wife and I about a week.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

LunaLauren wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 am Can you estimate your coffee expenses? how much do you spend on a daily basis and what is your method? Thanks
My daily coffee expenses are $0. My method is not drinking the stuff. By your calculations, I have saved $102,930 thus far with my method. :shock:
csage

Post by csage »

I've been really happy with a Moka pot and a milk foamer - takes a little practice but it's really awesome coffee for such a simple setup. Next step would be a grinder I guess but it works without.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:35 am I pay between $6-$12 for a tub of coffee grounds (between 1.5 - 3.0 lbs), and will generally last about a month.
Roughly $15 for the 32oz drip coffee maker I bought 2 years ago.
I use tap water, and drink the coffee black.
I will on occasion have an expensive coffee/espresso/milk-shake when out, but my daily coffee "habit" probably costs <$0.50 a day.
I'll add this is expensive from when I started the "habit".
I used to get my coffee free at work, and would make an excuse to walk to the bank and get a cup from them on Saturday, and the church had a giant commercial coffee percolator in the foyer Sundays.

Now everybody wants to charge for coffee :annoyed :wink:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Keurig is HORRID. It's no better than diner coffee. I've never had a decent cup from a Keurig machine. Leaving aside the environmental impact (pods largely unrecyclable, at least for now). https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... g-machine/

Nespresso has two lines, Original and VertuoLine. Original capsules are a little cheaper but VertuoLine is designed more for American habits (can make a bigger cup as there's more coffee inside). I really like the Original, as the coffee is very good. Not the best you can get, but consistently good and very convenient. Nespresso makes it very easy (and free) to recycle the capsules.
sidartvader

Post by sidartvader »

Working from home has increased the consumption of coffee in the household. This is what we do

Buy Starbucks French Roast from Costco (whenever on sale for $13). Blend it 1:1 with a medium roast (also from Costco - I am experimenting with different varieties/ratios). Use it with a Cuisinart drip coffee maker (~$60).

The real game changer for us has been the shift from the blade grinder to a burr grinder (we have the $70 one below)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8 ... a1db2ef53b

The difference is remarkable.

Enjoy!
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

My favorite calculation on coffee saving is this:
My wife and I used to drink 2-3 (in total) Starbucks espresso based latte and frappucino (not to mention pastry once in a while like coffee cake) before we had our 2nd kid. That ran us roughly $15/day. Now kids turn teenagers, it'd be more. For simple calculation let's say $15/day weekend inclusive:
$15/day x 365 = $5,475/year. One has to make $7821/year before tax.
If we also took lunch into calculation, it'd be $7/day x 2 persons x 365 = $5,110/year

So, just lunch and coffee, they made $11,500/year dent to our income. Our solution was making coffee and cook healthy foods with great ingredients for lunch and dinner at home.
Coffee machine and grinder: Breville 870XL with built-in hopper and excellent adjustable burr grinder from Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870X ... 279&sr=8-1 We've been exploring beans such as Starbucks (Costco), Lavazza, Illy (Brazil, Ethiopia, Colombia, etc.),and even bought off-axis automatic coffee roaster trying different beans from Sweet Maria, and we've recently settled for Lavazza (1kg from Costco Business Center) for $14/2.2lbs for now. Our next exploration is Kona coffee that Tomato suggested and even buy Moccamaster as well as it'll be put in good use for along time, so investment is worth it.
Milk: Horizon Organic Whole Milk.The aroma is much better than any other whole milk I've tried in US, except those outside US i.e. JPN, EU.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:40 am AeroPress coffee maker is around $30 and just needs hot water. Make a great cup of coffee too. 2 tbls of fine ground coffee beans per 8oz of water. A pound of beans will give you a lot of cups.
I tried this. I tried it with different grinds and types of coffee. Tried different techniques and quantities. I gave up. I am clearly doing something wrong as it always comes out weak. My homemade pour over set up works better.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

For Nespresso, I use the cheaper pods. Add 1 cup of milk to each pod. So each latte is about $1. A mch more palatable amount. Others may sneer but I truly enjoy it. Much better than Starbucks and other chains.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:40 am AeroPress coffee maker is around $30 and just needs hot water. Make a great cup of coffee too. 2 tbls of fine ground coffee beans per 8oz of water. A pound of beans will give you a lot of cups.
This works well for a cup of coffee. A bit fussier than Keurig and Nespresso.
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

I did a price comparison. Keurig pods are far more expensive than drip coffee or instant. We got rid of our Keurig.

I get espresso shots at Starbucks which cost less than a regular drink.

You do not have to eliminate coffee from your lifestyle if its' something you truly enjoy. You can save money in other areas.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

You don’t need to save money on coffee. Others here have posted their savings. Then you would be stuck in your mind on what to do with the savings. Lump sum investment or DCA?
ETFs or MF? Should you to emergency fund or buy a new car? What kind of car?
It goes on and on.

Coffee brewed at home will always save you money over buying it out. I think that is in the same vein as buy and hold.
What does Warren Buffet drink?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:33 pm ...
What does Warren Buffet drink?
5 cans of Cherry Coke , daily
Jmretired

Post by Jmretired »

I have used Keurig and Nespresso. Prefer the taste of Nespresso. If you go this route, note most capsules are for making an espresso... So about 1.5 oz, if you want something larger, get the lungo capsules for about 4 oz. The capsules cost the same - 70 cents each at Nespresso.com. I've been using this Nespresso maker for over a year and would buy it again:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZYSM2 ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by Jmretired on Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I actually find the time spent driving to and waiting for Starbucks coffee on a daily basis is by far the greatest cost. It's simply not worth it to me to spend 10-15 minutes per day going to Starbucks then paying a lot for 'normal' coffee as well. Over 300 days per year, that's 3000 minutes per year (50 hours) if you only took 10 minutes per visit, and that's probably a low estimate. Plug in how much money you'd earn in 50 hours to put in perspective.
MJS

Post by MJS »

health teacher wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am Do you think this coffee consumption is a ritual or a habit? Getting coffee could be a ritual that helps prepare yourself mentally for the stresses of work...

My test for ritual vs experiential coffee drinkers is -- Do you take the lid off before drinking coffee house drinks? Experiential drinkers risk burns & stains, are happy to grind & brew, and are resigned to regularly cleaning their coffee pots & grinders: they love the smell. Ritual drinkers may like the purchasing experience, the caffeine rush, the warmth of the cup, but they love the morning routine. So, what do you get out of your coffee purchases?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Switch to tea.

I am buying Dilmah Premium Single-origin 100% Ceylon Tea on Amazon. On sale, a set of boxes with 300 bags costs about $21, i.e., about 7 cents per bag. This tea is strong and flavorable. To make it even more interesting, I add Lion's Mane powder and brewed Chaga mushrooms. The add-ons raise the price of each cup to above 10 cents, but who is counting?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
gblack

Post by gblack »

I would suggest OP starts with pour over to make single cups. Plastic pour over filter cone only cost around $5 and then get #2 filters. Can splurge on any beans. I buy ground beans because grinding myself not worth the extra time. Best value beans to me are Lavazza at grocery store. Although if I'm near a Peet's, I'll get that. I occasionally splurge on Equator, Blue Bottle, or other trendy bean, but after the first couple fresh cups of those beans, I don't think the coffee is significantly better to justify the price.

On a personal note, I really like the ritual of going to my local coffee shop - the fresh brewed coffee is a tad better, I like supporting a local business, and I often get espresso drinks I cannot make at home. I flirted with getting a fancy espresso maker to make latte, flat white, etc, but decided I like going to my local shop - getting out of the house, some sunshine, some human and community interaction is worth the "per cup" savings.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

The best tool for saving on your coffee expenses is a $20 Thermos. Make whatever coffee you want, with whatever method you want, and the thermos will keep it hot all day long.
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

I'm not sure you'll agree with me, but I'd recommend going for quality.

My wife and I used to often purchase coffee at Starbucks or the same. Maybe 4 times per week each = 16*4*52=$3328 per year.

We purchased a Breville Oracle Touch ; and more recently a Miele Superautomatic and we both believe life is better.

The cost of the machines is ~$2k. The coffee costs $15 or $0.43/oz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S ... =1&fpw=alm

Each espresso shot is about 1/2 to 1 ounce, so let's call it $0.50 per shot. She does one, I do two, so let's call it $0.75 of coffee per shot.

We put about a cup of milk in - so 1/16 of a gallon of milk at $4, so $0.25c/cup.

So for ~$1.00 we get some really really good coffee. If we do 16*52=832 cups of coffee in a year, we pay off the machine in the first year ($2k+832 = 2832 < $3328).

Now, in reality, the older kids drink coffee now, and we'll have more than 1 per day. We'll prep it before we go not because it's cheaper, but because it so incredibly much better. So we're probably spending more money, and we had to attenuate initial consumption as we were over-caffinating. But life is just so, so much better. No lines, no germs, etc.

If you get regular coffee, maybe this won't make sense. In that case I'd recommend a pour over or french press and a nice breville grinder.

But I highly recommend folks consider a pro-sumer coffee machine for making espresso/cappuccino/machiatto/latte.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

With a Baratza Encore grinder, Bonavita electric digital kettle, and a big bag of non-Charbucks beans from Costco:

daily: Chemex with 42 g beans, grind setting 21, with 700 mL water into a vacuum bottle.
weekends: 16g beans, grind setting 8, with a Bialetti Musa moka pot. Microwave some milk and froth it with a small whisk, then add the coffee.
I gave in and went SCV. Wish me luck.
Dicast

Post by Dicast »

I gave up on Keurig when mine broke during a move. I have Ninja coffee maker $200 and a braun burr grinder $70 now. I grind right before I brew. I figure it costs me about 30 cents a cup when I buy in bulk and maybe 50 cents specialty.

I like the Ninja because I can make like 6 different brew sizes from a small cup to a full pot.

I also like the grinder because I will grind coffee and take to work occasionally as a treat to share.

I buy my coffee in bulk from https://www.gilliescoffee.com/
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

health teacher wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:30 am [is] this coffee consumption is a ritual or a habit? [...]

In this case you could buy a decent at home coffee maker, set up a dedicated coffee station, get a few quality mugs, buy some whole bean coffee at Costco and blending there or at home fresh and spending a few minutes "relaxing" at home before heading to work.
I switched to grinding my own beans with a hand grinder after accidentally buying a bag of beans one day instead of a bag of ground coffee. Now the grinding is sort of a weird pre-coffee dance and is part of the ritual. The advice to get a few quality mugs is also spot-on: I have a narrow but heavy coffee mug which I find delightful. It cannot fit much coffee per cup, but I compensate by pouring many refills.

& since this is the bogleheads forums, here is some inane cost-accounting :
inputs:

- 20 grams coffee beans. $0.24 (cost of beans $12 per 1 kg bag, 50 serves per bag)
- water. $0 (not metered by usage)
- electricity to boil 1L water with electric kettle $0.025

capital equipment:

n.b. assume each piece of equipment has 5 year expected life(*).

- porlex hand grinder capital cost $55. depreciation: $11 / year
- french press capital cost $23. depreciation: $5 / year
- nice cup (second hand) capital cost $ 2. depreciation: $1 / year

(*) alas, there's always a chance of cracking the glass of the
french press against the sink or dropping the cup in a catastrophic
pre-caffeine daze.

assumed uses per year: 300 morning coffee sessions

equipment depreciation costs per coffee session (sub total): $0.06

total cost to prepare 1L french press of coffee: $0.325
macheta

Post by macheta »

i use to buy small bags from sprouts and try different kinds. They have about 30-40 different kinds. Buying bags from the grocery store is the cheapest and most convenient way to get coffee.