Mix or match bedroom furniture?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
totallynotsure

Mix or match bedroom furniture?

Post by totallynotsure »

what was your approach? did you buy a full matching set or piece together various pieces to make it work?

my wife seems to want to go the matchy route. to me that looks a bit like a furniture showroom.
FGal

Re: Mix or match bedroom furniture?

Post by FGal »

Currently, we have two bedrooms - the main still contains the matched bed/dresser/chest/nightstands I bought decades ago as I still love it and it's a simple and classic style, and have made things unique using artwork, lamps, curtains, etc. The secondary bedroom has mismatched furnishings I've gathered over the years and actually looks really lovely (if I do say so myself) with things I've bought new, or gotten at antiques stores, or thrifted or refinished. I enjoy this sort of thing, but still appreciate the matched set. In other words, I think both are nice choices. :)

Is the furniture your wife is considering comfortable, decent quality and look nice enough for you other than being matching? You could work on using things like lamps and other accessories to offset the matchy feel (using similar but not matching lamps for instance). Get the bed/dresser/chest but then get nice enough but not matching night stands? Depending on how large a bedroom and what other furnishings you end up adding, can you make the foundation the matching set and then add in the nice-but-not-matchig things that will allow you to feel more unique or creative so you're both happy?
FIREd as of March 2015!
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We are pretty frugal/minimalist.

Our bedroom has two nightstands, a bed base (no headboard or foot-board), recliner and a dresser.

All purchased at garage sales for a total of less than $100. Only thing that wasn't was the recliner, but it came free with out living room couch purchase.

Daughter's room has a day bed frame, some plastic rolling storage carts and a small Ikea dresser.

Bed frame was free in bulk trash, same with rolling containers, dresser was $30ish at Ikea.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I just inherited my parents bedroom set. Drexel Heritage walnut and pecan wood. No veneer - solid wood. It is beat up, and will eventually refinish.

I like matching sets. But I also like putting different woods together in a room.

Post by 123 »

Matching bedroom furniture often only matches while it's in the room/house you originally bought it for. When you move you may make adjustments to fit the new locations and either add pieces or move some to a different room. The biggest threat to a matching set is a change in bed size (either large or smaller) due to a room change.

If you start with a hodge-podge of pieces it's easier to add/subtract.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

totallynotsure wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:16 pm what was your approach? did you buy a full matching set or piece together various pieces to make it work?

my wife seems to want to go the matchy route. to me that looks a bit like a furniture showroom.
If you hire an interior designer, they will tell you a matched set is one of their pet peeves.

I have a matched set. It's very nice black wood, but it also looks very boring. Even though it's in good condition and about five years old, I'm thinking of replacing it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Our first set was a matched set that met our meager budget at the time. Our second one that I've been working on for several years is one that I am building from scratch. It too will be matched when complete but will be of much higher quality.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We prefer to mix, and actually prefer a more eclectic style over matched. Mixing means you can shop at a variety of stores, mix some more expensive pieces with lower cost pieces (including IKEA or Target for accessories), not worry about matching wood tones, and upgrade over time if you like.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Unmatched and don't care.

Cherry bureau and chest of drawers and bedside tables and dark maple bureau (from my teenage self) and a glass top desk. Another small bureau that's white painted, found on the street for free. Tall, pastel painted green large stand alone mirror.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Personally I don't like the matchy-matchy approach, but I do want a room to look coordinated. Creating a "mood board" helps (got that idea from Pinterest :happy ).

You can change the color of furniture with chalk paint. This means you can reuse existing pieces or find good-quality bargains and make them work. I did that in my guest bedroom. I painted the black headboard and the brown dresser to coordinate with the blue/aqua/yellow quilt. The headboard came from a friend and the brown dresser came from my grandparents. Also I changed the knobs on the dresser to give it an updated look. I get compliments on that room all the time.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

When we moved to our new place in FL 3 years ago we bought a whole bedroom set. We love the way it looks and our old stuff from NY was dated and didn't go down here. I think a lot of the decision is very personal.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Do you have any furniture to start? Or are you thinking of furnishing an empty bedroom with mixed pieces?

For us it was easier to get a 5 piece set that matched for an empty bedroom, but over time, pieces have been moved to 3 other rooms and other mixed pieces have entered, so it's mixed now.

Don't think about it much now, just have place to store stuff.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:04 am
totallynotsure wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:16 pm what was your approach? did you buy a full matching set or piece together various pieces to make it work?

If you hire an interior designer, they will tell you a matched set is one of their pet peeves.

I have a matched set. It's very nice black wood, but it also looks very boring. Even though it's in good condition and about five years old, I'm thinking of replacing it.
If you could just buy a matched set and look good, whats the point of hiring them? Seriously what experts think about a subject often has zero relevance to what I need or want. There are far worse things than looking like a furniture show room. Like about 90% of the rooms I have ever been in:) Seriously you have been living a certain way for 20+ years. Has it bothered you or made you happy? If not make a choice and get on living. If it has, then you should know what you want.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Mix. But I say have the nightstands match and have the dressers match too. Too much of one thing in a room isn’t good.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

the sunday-advertisement furniture store bedroom sets look tacky 99% of the time.

we like the scandinavian approach and aesthetic which is clean, lean, but never matchy-matchy. everything just keeps within a rough theme
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

I though I like matching, then walked into Ethan Allen. The mix of colors and furniture actually looked better.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Definitely no match.

We know what we like when we see it, but aren’t interior designers.

Hiring a good fee only designer was an incredible investment. We are very happy.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

randomguy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:11 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:04 am

If you could just buy a matched set and look good, whats the point of hiring them? Seriously what experts think about a subject often has zero relevance to what I need or want. There are far worse things than looking like a furniture show room. Like about 90% of the rooms I have ever been in:) Seriously you have been living a certain way for 20+ years. Has it bothered you or made you happy? If not make a choice and get on living. If it has, then you should know what you want.
Well for past 20 years I was focused on trying to achieve FIRE. And the first 10 of those I lived on a mattress on the floor and used cardboard boxes as storage. My cheapness was legendary!

Now that goal had been achieved, I've started looking around and noticing the flaws in everything else :mrgreen:
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Mix of styles here. but all somewhat modern with clean lines, from Art Deco to Ikea. Works for me.

I'll borrow from the kitchen knives post I did earlier today, which is stolen from somebody I heard on the radio: You want to curate your collection so that it increases in utility and satisfaction over time. This is most easily done with a mix and match approach.