Laptop issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Laptop issue

Post by student »

This probably is not the right forum to ask but I thought I would try. I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0862 ... UTF8&psc=1 about 5 months ago. A couple of days ago, I did a Realtk firmware update within windows update. I realized that it did not turn itself on to reboot. The laptop can no longer be turned on. The power supply indicator light on the computer doesn't even turn on when it is plugged in. There is no sign of life when I press the power button. Lenovo asked me to send it in (under warranty). I guess I am only willing to that if I am successful in taking the hard drive out.

My question is could a Realtk firmware update (I assume it is for the audio component or the camera) causes this? I found it improbable but what I do I know.
mrmass
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: Laptop issue

Post by mrmass »

if you can pull the battery do that. Try holding the power button for 25 seconds.
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
02nz
Posts: 6401
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by 02nz »

It's possible, but may not be the likeliest cause.

I think that computer uses a USB-C power adapter , if you have another one try that first to make sure it's not the power adapter itself.

The M.2 SSD should be fairly easy to remove - search YouTube for videos, but basically just remove all screws, pop open the bottom panel and you're in. The only tricky part is if the screws are Torx instead of Philips-head.

Also, reading the reviews it looks like that laptop has a Realtek wifi card. In my experience those are horrible. Try removing the wifi card (it's also a m.2 slot, but smaller) and see if the computer at least boots. If it does, replace with an Intel 9260 or AX200 card (available on Amazon for <$20).
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bampf
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by bampf »

Not a driver issue if you have no power indicator. Hold the power button on for a good long time. Check to make sure power supply works. Make sure your outlet is actually powered (breaker tripped etc). If you have power going to the machine, you likely have a hardware problem.
02nz
Posts: 6401
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by 02nz »

bampf wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:46 pm Not a driver issue if you have no power indicator. Hold the power button on for a good long time. Check to make sure power supply works. Make sure your outlet is actually powered (breaker tripped etc). If you have power going to the machine, you likely have a hardware problem.
Definitely not a driver issue, but a bad firmware update can cause problems.
KlangFool
Posts: 19681
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by KlangFool »

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... 0back%20on.


OP,

I did a google search and this is what turned out.


KlangFool
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

mrmass wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:44 pm if you can pull the battery do that. Try holding the power button for 25 seconds.
The battery is non-removable, I have to take the bottom off.
tibbitts
Posts: 12865
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by tibbitts »

I would verify if Lenovo will do warranty service without the hard drive before sending the computer to them.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

02nz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:45 pm It's possible, but may not be the likeliest cause.

I think that computer uses a USB-C power adapter , if you have another one try that first to make sure it's not the power adapter itself.

The M.2 SSD should be fairly easy to remove - search YouTube for videos, but basically just remove all screws, pop open the bottom panel and you're in. The only tricky part is if the screws are Torx instead of Philips-head.

Also, reading the reviews it looks like that laptop has a Realtek wifi card. In my experience those are horrible. Try removing the wifi card (it's also a m.2 slot, but smaller) and see if the computer at least boots. If it does, replace with an Intel 9260 or AX200 card (available on Amazon for <$20).
The computer does use a USB-C power adapter. I tried an old Lenovo adapter, no dice.
Yes. It uses Torx. I ordered a set from Amazon. Thanks.
Last edited by student on Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:57 pm I would verify if Lenovo will do warranty service without the hard drive before sending the computer to them.
Thanks. When I talked to the person yesterday, my understanding is that he said it is ok as long as no damage is done to the machine.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:48 pm https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... 0back%20on.


OP,

I did a google search and this is what turned out.


KlangFool
Thanks. I have already tried them. My laptop has no light.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

Here are what I have tried so far.

1) Use a different power adapter.
2) Press the power button for 30 sec while the power adapter is connected.
3) Press the power button for 30 sec while the power adapter is not connected.
4) Lenovo one button recovery button.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
User avatar
Voltaire2.0
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Had a similar issue with a new, non-Yoga Lenovo laptop. After updating, it would not start whatsoever. "Black screen" of death.

I chatted with Lenovo support. They were helpful with suggestions (taking out the battery, holding the power button down for time immemorial, etc.) but nothing worked. They conceded it was a hardware problem and gave me a shipping address to their depot in Houston. They replaced the main board at no cost (it was under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

All the data and applications were salvaged, but the fixed machine was locked with BitLocker. I had to discover the BitLocker key to get it fully running, but it worked.

BTW, if you force the issue during chat you can get a personal callback from Lenovo.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:49 pm Had a similar issue with a new, non-Yoga Lenovo laptop. After updating, it would not start whatsoever. "Black screen" of death.

I chatted with Lenovo support. They were helpful with suggestions (taking out the battery, holding the power button down for time immemorial, etc.) but nothing worked. They conceded it was a hardware problem and gave me a shipping address to their depot in Houston. They replaced the main board at no cost (it was under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

All the data and applications were salvaged, but the fixed machine was locked with BitLocker. I had to discover the BitLocker key to get it fully running, but it worked.

BTW, if you force the issue during chat you can get a personal callback from Lenovo.
Thanks. So far they are willing to fix it under warranty. I am just too paranoid to send it in without taking the hard drive out, even though I encryped it with veracrypt after I bought it. (That's on me.......)
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

Update. I took the hard drive out. I talked to Lenovo on Monday, and they said they will send me a box. I will see whether this is true. So far the process is not as good as my experience with Apple.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 1903
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by WoodSpinner »

student wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:54 pm
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:49 pm Had a similar issue with a new, non-Yoga Lenovo laptop. After updating, it would not start whatsoever. "Black screen" of death.

I chatted with Lenovo support. They were helpful with suggestions (taking out the battery, holding the power button down for time immemorial, etc.) but nothing worked. They conceded it was a hardware problem and gave me a shipping address to their depot in Houston. They replaced the main board at no cost (it was under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

All the data and applications were salvaged, but the fixed machine was locked with BitLocker. I had to discover the BitLocker key to get it fully running, but it worked.

BTW, if you force the issue during chat you can get a personal callback from Lenovo.
Thanks. So far they are willing to fix it under warranty. I am just too paranoid to send it in without taking the hard drive out, even though I encryped it with veracrypt after I bought it. (That's on me.......)
If it’s encrypted (excellent!) then no worries, just send it in. You will likely void the warranty by pulling the drive.

WoodSpinner
User avatar
Voltaire2.0
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I'm surprised they agreed to work on it after you took out the drive. Will they warranty their work?

Consider yourself ahead of the game.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:23 am
student wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:54 pm
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:49 pm Had a similar issue with a new, non-Yoga Lenovo laptop. After updating, it would not start whatsoever. "Black screen" of death.

I chatted with Lenovo support. They were helpful with suggestions (taking out the battery, holding the power button down for time immemorial, etc.) but nothing worked. They conceded it was a hardware problem and gave me a shipping address to their depot in Houston. They replaced the main board at no cost (it was under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

All the data and applications were salvaged, but the fixed machine was locked with BitLocker. I had to discover the BitLocker key to get it fully running, but it worked.

BTW, if you force the issue during chat you can get a personal callback from Lenovo.
Thanks. So far they are willing to fix it under warranty. I am just too paranoid to send it in without taking the hard drive out, even though I encryped it with veracrypt after I bought it. (That's on me.......)
If it’s encrypted (excellent!) then no worries, just send it in. You will likely void the warranty by pulling the drive.

WoodSpinner
They said as long as I did not damage the computer, it is ok. I understand that it is a gamble and they can claim that I damage it. In the instruction list (standard letter), they want me to give them my password. I guess there are people who actually give them their passwords. Hmm.
User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 1903
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Laptop issue

Post by WoodSpinner »

student wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:38 am
WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:23 am
student wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:54 pm
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:49 pm Had a similar issue with a new, non-Yoga Lenovo laptop. After updating, it would not start whatsoever. "Black screen" of death.

I chatted with Lenovo support. They were helpful with suggestions (taking out the battery, holding the power button down for time immemorial, etc.) but nothing worked. They conceded it was a hardware problem and gave me a shipping address to their depot in Houston. They replaced the main board at no cost (it was under warranty) and it's been fine ever since.

All the data and applications were salvaged, but the fixed machine was locked with BitLocker. I had to discover the BitLocker key to get it fully running, but it worked.

BTW, if you force the issue during chat you can get a personal callback from Lenovo.
Thanks. So far they are willing to fix it under warranty. I am just too paranoid to send it in without taking the hard drive out, even though I encryped it with veracrypt after I bought it. (That's on me.......)
If it’s encrypted (excellent!) then no worries, just send it in. You will likely void the warranty by pulling the drive.

WoodSpinner
They said as long as I did not damage the computer, it is ok. I understand that it is a gamble and they can claim that I damage it. In the instruction list (standard letter), they want me to give them my password. I guess there are people who actually give them their passwords. Hmm.
They need the password??? Wow that is a twist. Given that, I agree, pull the disk.
Topic Author
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by student »

Update: After a telephone call with tech support two weeks ago, they authorized a warranty repair. However, I have not received the box yet. I did an online chat with them 5 days ago, the CS rep stated that they were back up and she said she would report it to her manager. She suggested that I bring it to an authorized repair center such as Best Buy, which I declined. Any suggestion of how I can speed up the process?
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1835
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Laptop issue

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Not sure about the particular authorized service center, but I have had great experience with the Lenovo authorized repair shop Upper West Side in NYC. Walked in, dropped it off, went for lunch, came back and I was good to go.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Post Reply