Neighbor Tree Trim Waiver Form?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ams-texas

Neighbor Tree Trim Waiver Form?

Post by ams-texas »

Hi all. I have a tree on my property and some of the upper limbs cross the property line and overhang the neighbor's yard. The neighbor would like to trim the limbs at the property line and will be hiring the tree trimmer.

If the tree trimmer has to come on to my property to trim the tree, is there a waiver form that I could have the neighbor and tree trimmer sign to protect myself from any damage or injury liability?
jebmke

Re: Neighbor Tree Trim Waiver Form?

Post by jebmke »

If it were me, in my area, I’d ask for an insurance certificate and license number unless the tree service was one of a few well known in the area. Some are so well known that I would not even bother.

Doing tree work around here without a license is risky. In some parts of the county (including my lot) you cannot remove a tree, dead or alive, without permission from the county.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

If concerned, why don't you be a good neighbor and hire someone of your choice to trim your branches that hang over the property line?
J295

Post by J295 »

Wouldn’t your homeowners policy provide you adequate protection?
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:26 am If concerned, why don't you be a good neighbor and hire someone of your choice to trim your branches that hang over the property line?
+1e6

However, I've learned the hard truth that such good neighbors are very hard to find.
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:26 am If concerned, why don't you be a good neighbor and hire someone of your choice to trim your branches that hang over the property line?
Bingo.
Potential - distraction = performance.
Topic Author
ams-texas

Post by ams-texas »

We are not on the best of terms and she is very demanding – with changing demands.

She was having a problem with squirrels / rats getting into her attic with my tree limbs being one of, but not the only, pathways to her roof. After speaking to her pest control person I trimmed my tree enough to alleviate the roof access problem with my limbs (according to the pest control person). Now she is changing the requirement to the property line.

I am OK with her paying to trim my tree to her satisfaction - I just want to make sure that I have no liability for any damage or injury. Note that she will hire the trimmer to trim my tree. The limbs to be trimmed are quite high and will require someone climb the tree.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ams-texas wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 am We are not on the best of terms and she is very demanding – with changing demands.

She was having a problem with squirrels / rats getting into her attic with my tree limbs being one of, but not the only, pathways to her roof. After speaking to her pest control person I trimmed my tree enough to alleviate the roof access problem with my limbs (according to the pest control person). Now she is changing the requirement to the property line.

I am OK with her paying to trim my tree to her satisfaction - I just want to make sure that I have no liability for any damage or injury. Note that she will hire the trimmer to trim my tree. The limbs to be trimmed are quite high and will require someone climb the tree.
I wouldn't allow my tree to grow to where any part of it reached over my property line. I'm trimming my sole surviving tree right now; I only let it grow large enough to where I can still trim it myself. If I had larger trees and wanted to keep them, I'd pay someone to trim them, and not want the neighbor to be involved.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Legal issues (liability) are beyond the scope of this forum. Topic is locked.