Home level 2 charger recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bubbadog

Home level 2 charger recommendation?

Post by bubbadog »

I just purchased a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime which should be delivered next month. I am researching home level 2 chargers. This is my first plug in vehicle. Any recommendations on which brand to purchase? Juice Box and Charge Point brands seem to be popular options. Advice?
Savingscaptain

Re: Home level 2 charger recommendation?

Post by Savingscaptain »

bubbadog wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:23 am I just purchased a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime which should be delivered next month. I am researching home level 2 chargers. This is my first plug in vehicle. Any recommendations on which brand to purchase? Juice Box and Charge Point brands seem to be popular options. Advice?
Chargepoint are good. If you can find it, buy a audi etron L2. Highest rated charger, just no smart components.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

What Toyota won't sell you one?
Pale Blue Dot
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

In our community, we bought JuiceBox for their ability to share the juice on a 50 amp line, a capacity not needed in individual homes. We started buying them about 3 years ago had some networking problems with them. Their technical assistance was eager but not always quick to resolve problems.

Then they were bought out by ENEL, the former Italian state electricity entity, since then their game has stepped up and things have been great. BTW, I bought mine on eBay, it was a reconditioned unit and purchased it directly from JuiceBox, it was several hundred dollars cheaper.

On another matter, when I tried to claim the Federal Tax credit for the -purchase, H&R Block software had no capacity to enter it. I wound up returning the software and using TurboTax which handled it well.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Use 110v charge instead.

Previous Prius plug in owner here. Your Rav4 will fully charge in 12 hours on a standard 110v outlet. No need to spend $1000+ for an L2 charger plus installation. In a lot of cases, will be full by the next morning. Not likely you'll make up the difference driving electricity over the lifetime of the vehicle. Yes, you can use it for your future electric vehicles but you can also buy in the future when prices comes down. A basic 16 amp L2 EVSE was near a $1000 when I bought my plug in Prius. What is it now? $300? Also, Teslas mobile EVSE includes an adapter for 220v along with the 110v, in case your future includes a Tesla.

Downside is if you use up EV mode every day and you need to go out soon after arriving home, you may burn some gas. L1 charging is less efficient than L2 charging. It was roughly 15% overhead electricity loss on L1 and <10% loss on L2 for my Prius.

If you insist on installing L2 EVSE, make sure you purchase a mobile one that you can unplug and take with you when you move. Even if you never move, this allows you to easily replace the EVSE unit when it breaks instead of paying installation again for a hardwired unit.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Just install a 240v outlet (what a dryer uses) and use the cable they give you. That's what I did for my Model 3 a few years ago - cost me like $50

Edit: 240v, not 220
Last edited by MBB_Boy on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Although it's not only about your topic, I found this thread useful:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=304810&start=50

Be sure to check whether your utility offers any discounts. Their discount may require that you get a WiFi model so that they can monitor your use, and that it be hard-wired, so you can't "tamper" with it.

This field is evolving quickly, so be careful to search for a device that has the features you want, and that might last the life of your car. I'm still browsing for future need, so I've noticed that units that have only one charging rate can be cheaper. If you can guess the rate you might choose most often, this might save you money. I've also wondered if I should buy a low-rate at Level 2 (like 30 amps/240V) so I could plug into a distant host's dryer outlet? Of course, there are distance to the driveway issues.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

I’ve had a 40 amp juicebox for a few years and can recommend it. If you spent the premium for a RAV4 Prime, I don’t think there’s any reason to avoid getting the benefits of an L2 charger.

Most likely, more and more cars will be using these chargers in the future.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

I lived for a year with level 1 charging before upgrading to level 2 with a ChargePoint Flex. My overall fuel economy went up with the level 2 charging. I do like how it get a monthly summary of how many kw’s I used.
deikel

Post by deikel »

I had a NIssan Leaf and a level 2 charger - was totally not necessary , level 1 was way good enough and charged it up full over night anyway - I would safe the money and try Level 1 first
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

How hard was it to find a RAV4 Prime? Did you get a decent deal?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:29 am How hard was it to find a RAV4 Prime? Did you get a decent deal?
I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it turned out. It took me two days to find a dealer willing to sell me one at MSRP with no additional fees outside of temp. tags and a few other fees which totaled about $100. Delivery has been promised in about one month. Apparently it is on a boat right now. They are not sold in my state (Ohio) and I am purchasing one out of New York State. With the $7,500 federal tax rebate, it prices out about the same as a comparable "regular" RAV4 Hybrid AWD.

We had decided we were probably going to purchase a "regular" RAV4 Hybrid AWD and test drove one last Saturday. I casually inquired about the Prime models and was told that it would be about 2 years before they would be for sale locally. I spent some time online searching, doing some research, and basically got lucky.

The vehicle will be for my recent college graduate son.

Nice grad present...Right?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bubbadog wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:01 pm
cadreamer2015 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:29 am How hard was it to find a RAV4 Prime? Did you get a decent deal?
My wife graduates next month, you want another kid? She'll probably get a congrats text from her parents.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

mbasherp wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 am I’ve had a 40 amp juicebox for a few years and can recommend it. If you spent the premium for a RAV4 Prime, I don’t think there’s any reason to avoid getting the benefits of an L2 charger.

Most likely, more and more cars will be using these chargers in the future.
I also have a 40A Juicebox. Worked great for almost three years and then one day decided not to charge my Leaf anymore. That said, the company express shipped me a replacement unit since it was still under warranty. Customer service was fantastic but I'm not pleased that it broke in the first place.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

We have 2 BMW PHEV and 2 EVSE (the "charger"). A JuiceBox 40A and a no-name brand. The JuiceBox has been rock solid. The no-name brand broke and was replaced under warranty. Here are my tips:

- Install a 240V 50A NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage and buy a plug in EVSE. If the EVSE breaks or you move, don't need to call the electrician.

- Future proof by buying a 40A EVSE in case you buy a second EV. 50A circuit can handle max 40A continuous load.

- Get the longest cord you can, 25 feet.

- If you might take the car on a trip and charge on the road, get a compact wet weather rated EVSE. ClipperCreek.com makes good ones.

- At first we were really excited about the JuiceBox wifi and smart features. After a while we got bored and stop using them. If I had to buy another EVSE I would opt for something rugged and compact with no bells or whistles.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Topic Author
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:13 pm
bubbadog wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:01 pm
My wife graduates next month, you want another kid? She'll probably get a congrats text from her parents.
Not looking for any additional dependants, but thanks anyway!
BedHead2020

Post by BedHead2020 »

Clipper Creek chargers get really good reviews.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Do you have a 240v outlet already?
For the Prius Prime, the OEM charger can actually handle 240
https://priuschat.com/threads/using-the ... 20.204577/

Perhaps the Rav4 Prime is the same and someone has come up with a solution already. (I would assume it is highly likely that the OEM charger can handle 220/240 for all world markets like the Prius Prime)

maybe?... https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/comm ... g_cord_on/