I just bought a Peloton - Love it!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

I just bought a Peloton - Love it!

Post by PhillyPhan »

For anyone contemplating purchasing a Peloton, I wanted to chime in and offer my 2 cents.

After a week of use, I can see exactly why people enjoy it. The instructors combined with the friendly user interface and convenience factor are absolute game changers. In my opinion a Peloton should be standard equipment within every household in America. At the cost of aprox a high end OLED, you are getting a piece of equipment that will actually improve your overall health. Not to say a TV does not offer benefits (relaxation, etc), but the Peloton being in my home will push me to exercise significantly more. The app also provides thousands of additional workouts which rounds out your overall fitness. On top of all of this, Afrim offers 0% financing, which I will take any day of the week :).

Happy to answer any other questions.
Monsterflockster

Re: I just bought a Peloton - Love it!

Post by Monsterflockster »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 pm For anyone contemplating purchasing a Peloton, I wanted to chime in and offer my 2 cents.

After a week of use, I can see exactly why people enjoy it. The instructors combined with the friendly user interface and convenience factor are absolute game changers. In my opinion a Peloton should be standard equipment within every household in America. At the cost of aprox a high end OLED, you are getting a piece of equipment that we actually improve your overall health. Not to say that TV does not offer benefits (relaxation, etc), but the Peloton being in my home will push me to exercise significantly more. The app also provides thousands of additional workouts which rounds out your overall fitness. On top of all of this, Afrim offers 0% financing, which I will take any day of the week :).

Are you affiliated with the company in any way including owning stock. 😉

Seriously thought, glad you are motivated to get fit. I like the outdoors but can totally see why people like it. Enjoy.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I ordered one a while back, but just got recently. I completely agree with OP.

It’s a great bike. But it’s really the content that sets it apart for me. Time will tell if I stick with it, but I certainly don’t get bored doing the workouts.

I am not affiliated with them in any way.
Last edited by Normchad on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Monsterflockster wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 pm
PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 pm For anyone contemplating purchasing a Peloton, I wanted to chime in and offer my 2 cents.

After a week of use, I can see exactly why people enjoy it. The instructors combined with the friendly user interface and convenience factor are absolute game changers. In my opinion a Peloton should be standard equipment within every household in America. At the cost of aprox a high end OLED, you are getting a piece of equipment that we actually improve your overall health. Not to say that TV does not offer benefits (relaxation, etc), but the Peloton being in my home will push me to exercise significantly more. The app also provides thousands of additional workouts which rounds out your overall fitness. On top of all of this, Afrim offers 0% financing, which I will take any day of the week :).

Seriously thought, glad you are motivated to get fit. I like the outdoors but can totally see why people like it. Enjoy.
Not affiliated at all but I might not have ever bought one if it were not for Covid. I was always a gym guy who enjoyed the experience. Now that I have a Peloton and some free weights, all I really need is a pull up bar and I think my gym days are a thing of the past.
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:43 pm
Monsterflockster wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Not affiliated at all but I might not have ever bought one if it were not for Covid. I was always a gym guy who enjoyed the experience. Now that I have a Peloton and some free weights, all I really need is a pull up bar and I think my gym days are a thing of the past. I do also love the outdoors, and will continue to golf, hike and spend time in parks, but it is nice to know I have this waiting for me when I am not outdoors.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

After a week of use, I can see exactly why people enjoy it. The instructors combined with the friendly user interface and convenience factor are absolute game changers. In my opinion a Peloton should be standard equipment within every household in America. At the cost of aprox a high end OLED, you are getting a piece of equipment that will actually improve your overall health. Not to say a TV does not offer benefits (relaxation, etc), but the Peloton being in my home will push me to exercise significantly more. The app also provides thousands of additional workouts which rounds out your overall fitness. On top of all of this, Afrim offers 0% financing, which I will take any day of the week :).

Glad you love the bike.
Please check your pedals where they attach to the bellcrank carefully the first few weeks - if one appears to become loose do not ride untill you can get it fixed. Many have been injured by this failure....
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

And a tonal and a...At the cost of a (really high-end TV) plus a significant monthly fee, you are getting something that is no different than something significantly cheaper but with an interactive component (which is of zero value to a lot of regular exercisers). Glad you like it, that's some hyperbole.
ram

Post by ram »

My wife is thinking of buying one. I understand that almost everybody loves it for the initial few months.
Can anybody who has owned it for >1 year chime in.

Most costly exercise equipment is unused by its first anniversary. That is not true for OLED TV.
Ram
stl717

Post by stl717 »

ram wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm My wife is thinking of buying one. I understand that almost everybody loves it for the initial few months.

Most costly exercise equipment is unused by its first anniversary. That is not true for OLED TV.
We've had ours for almost two years, I still use it almost every day. My wife does a lot of the strength/yoga type classes, also. We have defiantly gotten good use out of ours.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

ram wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm My wife is thinking of buying one. I understand that almost everybody loves it for the initial few months.

My mother bought an exercise bike years ago and she still uses it every day --- to hang clothing on. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

And a tonal and a...At the cost of a (really high-end TV) plus a significant monthly fee, you are getting something that is no different than something significantly cheaper but with an interactive component (which is of zero value to a lot of regular exercisers). Glad you like it, that's some hyperbole.
In my opinion the instructors separate this from "regular" exercise equipment. That is what makes it so different than the cheaper alternatives. Take a class and you will see the difference they make. Also the price was recently lowered by $350 to $1895.
Last edited by PhillyPhan on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

That’s a very legit concern. I can’t find the link, but someone was talking to the Peleton CFO about exactly that. IIRC, their “still using it a year later” rate was higher than for normal equipment, but was still just something like 60%.

It is definitely expensive. With the pandemic though, we aren’t paying gym dues now, so that actually offsets a lot of it in the first year.

There is a long thread on this forum somewhere from a user that has been using it quite a while and loved it, lost a lot of weight etc. Of course that’s just one person.....
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Perhaps another statistic indicating habituation is what the market is for used Pelotons.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
shockwavesfan

Post by shockwavesfan »

We bought ours in September and I wish we bought one years ago. With two working adults and two young kids, we don’t have a ton of time to go to the gym. The peloton is so convenient that it doesn’t give us any excuse not to do it. Between my wife and I, it is getting used 7 days a week.

I know there are way cheaper bikes, but the interface, instructors, data, and even the social networking part of it push you to really get after it. I know myself and I wouldn’t be able to push myself with one of the cheaper options so it is definitely worth it for us so far.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

I think the Peloton bike is also a great addition to my exercise routine. I have had mine three weeks and been on it everyday. I’ve been much more consistent using the Peloton than when I joined a local CrossFit gym. The reality is you will find folks who love it and others who criticize it for the price and perceived lack of value. It’s similar to other consumer goods: flat screen TVS (65” LED for $500 or an OLED for $2,000), laptops (PC for $500 or MacBook Pro for $2,000), automobiles (Toyota Camry for $ versus Luxurg Brand for $$$). I don’t find value in having to buy a road bike, plus a trainer, plus some training program. I don’t find value in riding a road bike because I take care of too many people who get hit by cars riding their bike. As long as you can afford it, it doesn’t matter what other people think.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (bike).

Some relevant threads to supplement your workout:

- Older Women Lifting Weights

- Pull-ups and Push-ups (bodyweight exercises)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I bought a trainer (stand) for my road bike so I can ride in the garage during the winter. It’s my “me time” that I use to listen to podcasts, which are free.

If you have a CSR or CSP credit card, be sure to use up your credits.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-u ... edits.html
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 pm After a week of use, I can see exactly why people enjoy it.
The most important question I'm interested in is how people view the apparatus after owning it for 5 years. I've been doing the same simple, low cost exercise routine for the last 10+ years; in contrast, most of the people in my social circle who got into the CrossFit fad around 2012 stopped flipping tires years ago. I don't know a single person who still does it, though I'm sure they're still out there.
PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:38 pm In my opinion a Peloton should be standard equipment within every household in America. At the cost of aprox a high end OLED, you are getting a piece of equipment that will actually improve your overall health.
For the right person, I think it's a great option if it provides long lasting motivation. For others like me, I can get a better workout outside at a cost of under $100 every 2 years for a pair of running shoes.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

The gyms I went to for a long time (years) had mainly Precor ellipticals and bikes and put in a few Pelotons when they got popular. I much preferred the Precors. They felt very sturdy and substantial and just had a great feel to them. The Precor flow was much more refined.
The Pelotons just didn't feel as smooth and pleasant; the resistance on the Precors was consistent and satisfying.

Most Important point:
Also, most people in the gyms gravitated to ellipticals over bikes. If you have not tried both, you really owe it to yourself to do so before you decide on which is best. When ellipticals were first introduced back in the 1990s, they were a big hit and all the gyms I have used switched over to mostly ellipticals and left just a few bikes. The ellipticals were always vastly more popular than bikes.

I would absolutely advise anyone thinking of paying so much for a machine to try out an elliptical before taking the plunge.

One article that seems objective to me:
https://cyclehealthinfo.com/peloton-bike-vs-elliptical/

I would not be surprised if Peloton eventually brought out an elliptical version of its product.

[edited for typos]
Last edited by rgs92 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:53 pm
stoptothink wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

In my opinion the instructors separate this from "regular" exercise equipment. That is what makes it so different than the cheaper alternatives. Take a class and you will see the difference they make. Also the price was recently lowered by $350 to $1895.
I've tried it, several times, as has my wife. The interactive component and "instructors" have little to no value for us. We're also definitely not the type who needs an instructor to motivate us to exercise or get an effective workout, so we're not the target consumer.
ginstwin

Post by ginstwin »

I have had my Bike 6 years. In fact I just traded it for the new Bike +
I love the community and of course the exercise.

Those who have the bike please check out Jenn Sherman . She was the first instructor they hired 7 years ago and imho is the best. Her music and sense of humor are second to none.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Ps I am not affiliated with Peloton but love the product.
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

I also want to make note of the added entertainment factor. For me it makes exercise fun, I get lost in the music and would never push myself so hard unless I was maybe running on a treadmill training for a race. Also the footprint is small and I am easily able to move the bike if needed. I also have it connected with Strava and have noticed some of my running connection have moved away from running and on to the bike.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

rgs92 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:42 pm The gyms I went to for a long time (years) had mainly Precor ellipticals and bikes and put in a few Pelotons when they got popular. I much preferred the Precors. They felt very sturdy and substantial and just had a great feel to them. The Precor flow was much more refined.
The Pelotons just didn't feel as smooth and pleasant; the resistance on the Precors was consistent and satisfying.

Most Important point:
Also, most people in the gyms gravitated to ellipticals over bikes. If you have not tried both, your really owe it to yourself to do so before you decide on which is best. When ellipticals were first introduced back in the 1990s, they were a big hit and all the gyms I have used switched over to mostly ellipticals and left just a few bikes. The ellipticals were always vastly more popular than bikes.

I would absolutely advise anyone thinking of paying so much for a machine to try out an elliptical before taking the plunge.

I would not be surprised if Peloton eventually brought out an elliptical version of it's product.
I didn't know that bikes were considered high impact exercise. That's a most important point for me, as my body is telling me to switch to low impact exercises. I've switched from outdoor jogging to my elliptical - a Smooth Fitness trainer owned since 2003. I alternate days between my elliptical and strength training. All done at home.

That article contains a table comparing bikes to ellipticals. The number of benefits for ellipticals is more than bikes, but the article concludes bikes are better somehow.

My friend has a NordicTrack elliptical which has on-screen everything, wifi, and a 1-year subscription for personal training. She loves it. I was able to talk her into doing some bodyweight exercises to balance her workout.

One of my siblings spends hours on-end with her bike on a stationary stand. She's connected to her workout buddies via Zoom. To each her own.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

Well I have a "Fauxloton" set up and love it. Bought an Schwinn Ic3 bike ($600) and subscribe to the digital app $12.99 per month - so saving on both the bike and the monthly fee. Granted I'm not on the leader board but I don't really care about that. I also like the strength and yoga classes. Didn't want to spend the $$ on the actual Peloton bike - so am feeling very bogleheadish about my set up :)
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Yes, I do consider bikes high-impact. I used to use Schwinn stationary bikes in gyms (they were common there at one time). I could always spend a lot of energy, but it was concentrated in my legs and knees.

I feel that a stationary bike's impact is pretty severe in my knees.

The elliptical machine just feels like the same amount of energy in spent, but it is distributed much more evenly between my upper an lower body.
When I go back on a traditional stationary bike now, I sense that my upper body is just not that involved and is just along for the ride.

Quick history of the elliptical.
https://www.ellipticalreviews.com/histo ... l-machine/
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

rgs92 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 pm Yes, I do consider bikes high-impact. I used to use Schwinn stationary bikes in gyms (they were common there at one time). I could always spend a lot of energy, but it was concentrated in my legs and knees.

The elliptical machine just feels like the same amount of energy in spent, but it is distributed much more evenly between my upper an lower body.
When I go back on a traditional stationary bike now, I sense that my upper body is just not that involved and is just along for the ride.

Bicycling is not high impact. It is in fact an excellent rehabilitation exercise due to its low impact nature. You “feel it in your knees” because of the patellofemoral joint reaction forces that occur with repetitive quadriceps concentric contractions. Running is high impact because the knee lands in a relatively extended position and forces are transmitted proximally through the foot to ankle to leg to knee to thigh to hip. Thats why people can develop shin splints due to constant microtrauma to the tibia causing the stress fracture when walking and/or running over long periods of time.
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

ILnative wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 pm Well I have a "Fauxloton" set up and love it. Bought an Schwinn Ic3 bike ($600) and subscribe to the digital app $12.99 per month - so saving on both the bike and the monthly fee. Granted I'm not on the leader board but I don't really care about that. I also like the strength and yoga classes. Didn't want to spend the $$ on the actual Peloton bike - so am feeling very bogleheadish about my set up :)
I buy ETF shares while riding my Schwinn IC3. Very
Bogleheadish.
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

PhillyPhan wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:43 pm Now that I have a Peloton and some free weights, all I really need is a pull up bar and I think my gym days are a thing of the past.
We have an $850 Sole treadmill and a bench, two bars, and Olympic weights. Also a set of dumbbells. I’ve had the weight set for 25 years so I forget the exact cost but certainly in the hundreds, not thousands. I work out daily. It’s enough for me.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

I have a Peloton and love it and for us it’s a great value relative to gym expenses we had been paying. But saying it should be standard equipment in every household in America is a claim you should back off of for two reasons.

1. Lots of people use other exercise methods that are as effective or more effective than Peloton for their desired goals.

2. There are a huge number of households that simply can’t afford one. It comes off a little snooty. It’s a boujie purchase and while a great product does not provide any better fitness outcome for the same level of dedication as free or cheap methods of exercise.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Chase Sapphire is running a big promo/discount on peloton
bampf

Post by bampf »

Had it for 2 years and change. Love it. Use it. Not as often as I should but often enough.
Nescio
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I tried the Peloton streaming service during the pandemic when they offered 90 days free for the streaming service. My personal opinion, it’s garbage compared to Les Mills on Demand. But if it motivates people to exercise and get healthy, that’s great!

I have also been less than impressed by the bike. When I’ve ridden them in hotels, they’re more often than not broken and noisy. The Keiser is a much better bike for the same price.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Is the subscription essential for enjoying this bike? Or could one drop the costly service later on and continue using the equipment?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Have one. It’s okay. Most of the instructors are meh. Too much feel good motivational “this is your time love yourself” talk gets repetitive and irritating.

I much prefer a rowing machine or an elliptical over the bike. They work nearly double the number of muscles and are very low impact. Only got the peloton to satisfy other members of the household :?
caponicus

Post by caponicus »

I subscribe to the app service for $13 a month and dont have a peloton. I have a basic (cheap) exercise bike and dumbbells for the classes. I am very happy with the app right now. If I am still into it in a year I will upgrade to the peloton.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

rgs92 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:42 pm The gyms I went to for a long time (years) had mainly Precor ellipticals and bikes and put in a few Pelotons when they got popular. I much preferred the Precors. They felt very sturdy and substantial and just had a great feel to them. The Precor flow was much more refined.

Most Important point:
Also, most people in the gyms gravitated to ellipticals over bikes. If you have not tried both, you really owe it to yourself to do so before you decide on which is best. When ellipticals were first introduced back in the 1990s, they were a big hit and all the gyms I have used switched over to mostly ellipticals and left just a few bikes. The ellipticals were always vastly more popular than bikes.
Absolutely agree. An elliptical is right in the sweet spot between a treadmill and a bike. Honestly, I don't get the hype surrounding a stationary bike all of a sudden. They were never that popular before. Sure, spin classes had a blip, but the problem is your body position stays relatively the same in an unnatural pose. At least when riding a real bike on the street you have to dip and curve and stand up and move all around, like running or walking. You don't get that "natural" freedom of movement with a stationary bike -- you have to fake it. (Not to mention the pressure exerted on your gluteus maximus, requiring those super weird bike shorts).
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

We tried the digital app as a test and found the instructors obnoxious/annoying - wish there was a service with "normal" people like the spin instructors at our local (closed down) gym.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:26 am We tried the digital app as a test and found the instructors obnoxious/annoying - wish there was a service with "normal" people like the spin instructors at our local (closed down) gym.
+1

The closest to normal instructor I’ve found is Dennis Morton. He actually knows fitness and designs decent workouts rather than just being a motivational speaker with a “cool” playlist.
rationalactor

Post by rationalactor »

+1 on Dennis Morton. His classic rock rides are the perfect start to the day for most 50 year old men I know who have tried riding with him

I have been doing Peleton for over a year. Started when it was free in the gym of a condo complex we were staying in during a major home remodel. Loved it. Since returning home have been riding an excellent stationary bike my wife had bought years ago (Keiser brand) using the 12.99 app subscription. Works great. Resistance settings translate well at 3x (15 on Keiser seems roughly equivalent to 45 on Peleton.) I also like playing the music/workout through a Bluetooth JBL speakers.

Re: joints, I have bad knees and an extremely problematic right Achilles’ tendon and have never felt pain in either. I occasionally feel my left hip a bit. But nothing that is getting worse and very slight, primarily when I get out of the bike saddle. Overall, given my bad joints Peleton has been a game changer for me.
dowse

Post by dowse »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:57 pm
I didn't know that bikes were considered high impact exercise. That's a most important point for me, as my body is telling me to switch to low impact exercises. I've switched from outdoor jogging to my elliptical - a Smooth Fitness trainer owned since 2003. I alternate days between my elliptical and strength training. All done at home.

[/quote]

LadyGeek, great point about low impact, which is advisable for many. Would you mind sharing your strength training routine or resource(s) to choose one?
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:57 pm

Most Important point:
Also, most people in the gyms gravitated to ellipticals over bikes. If you have not tried both, your really owe it to yourself to do so before you decide on which is best. When ellipticals were first introduced back in the 1990s, they were a big hit and all the gyms I have used switched over to mostly ellipticals and left just a few bikes. The ellipticals were always vastly more popular than bikes.

I would not be surprised if Peloton eventually brought out an elliptical version of it's product.

That article contains a table comparing bikes to ellipticals. The number of benefits for ellipticals is more than bikes, but the article concludes bikes are better somehow.

My friend has a NordicTrack elliptical which has on-screen everything, wifi, and a 1-year subscription for personal training. She loves it. I was able to talk her into doing some bodyweight exercises to balance her workout.

One of my siblings spends hours on-end with her bike on a stationary stand. She's connected to her workout buddies via Zoom. To each her own.
Cycling isn't high-impact. It certainly works your muscles, but there's no impact to speak of. It is important, however, to ensure the bike is set up for you properly so as not to cause knee pain, especially if you're prone to it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I fully agree, but the article gave this statement:
The Peloton bike is a high-impact exercise equipment and due to the knee jerk motions made as you pedal quickly especially while standing will irritate an injured or ailing knee.
Maybe they were being cautious.
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

rationalactor wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:00 am +1 on Dennis Morton. His classic rock rides are the perfect start to the day for most 50 year old men I know who have tried riding with him

I have been doing Peleton for over a year. Started when it was free in the gym of a condo complex we were staying in during a major home remodel. Loved it. Since returning home have been riding an excellent stationary bike my wife had bought years ago (Keiser brand) using the 12.99 app subscription. Works great. Resistance settings translate well at 3x (15 on Keiser seems roughly equivalent to 45 on Peleton.) I also like playing the music/workout through a Bluetooth JBL speakers.

Re: joints, I have bad knees and an extremely problematic right Achilles’ tendon and have never felt pain in either. I occasionally feel my left hip a bit. But nothing that is getting worse and very slight, primarily when I get out of the bike saddle. Overall, given my bad joints Peleton has been a game changer for me.
I would love to upgrade the audio in a similar manner to what you have done. Would you mind providing the link to the speakers you went with? Unfortunately my Sonos speakers do not pair with the bike.

Thank you!
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Osterix wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:38 pm
rgs92 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 pm Yes, I do consider bikes high-impact. I used to use Schwinn stationary bikes in gyms (they were common there at one time). I could always spend a lot of energy, but it was concentrated in my legs and knees.

Bicycling is not high impact. It is in fact an excellent rehabilitation exercise due to its low impact nature. You “feel it in your knees” because of the patellofemoral joint reaction forces that occur with repetitive quadriceps concentric contractions. Running is high impact because the knee lands in a relatively extended position and forces are transmitted proximally through the foot to ankle to leg to knee to thigh to hip. Thats why people can develop shin splints due to constant microtrauma to the tibia causing the stress fracture when walking and/or running over long periods of time.
All of the research I have seen on stationary bikes reinforces this point, determining if something is high impact should not be subjective or something you "feel".
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

9-5 Suited wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:29 pm I have a Peloton and love it and for us it’s a great value relative to gym expenses we had been paying. But saying it should be standard equipment in every household in America is a claim you should back off of for two reasons.

1. Lots of people use other exercise methods that are as effective or more effective than Peloton for their desired goals.

2. There are a huge number of households that simply can’t afford one. It comes off a little snooty. It’s a boujie purchase and while a great product does not provide any better fitness outcome for the same level of dedication as free or cheap methods of exercise.
+1. It's like my boss telling me the other day that I needed to get a Tonal. He's never lifted a weight in his life and is worth 9-figures, it probably was a great investment for him. On the other hand, I'm a former competitive powerlifter with a PhD and every exercise-related professional certification who doesn't have $3k in his wallet at all times (but has an extensive garage gym); it would be pretty useless for me. Peleton (and Tonal) are fantastic for a certain segment of the population, they have little value for others, and a huge segment of the population does not have $2k+$40/month to spend on exercise equipment.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 am
9-5 Suited wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:29 pm I have a Peloton and love it and for us it’s a great value relative to gym expenses we had been paying. But saying it should be standard equipment in every household in America is a claim you should back off of for two reasons.

+1. It's like my boss telling me the other day that I needed to get a Tonal. He's never lifted a weight in his life and is worth 9-figures, it probably was a great investment for him. On the other hand, I'm a former competitive powerlifter with a PhD and every exercise-related professional certification who doesn't have $3k in his wallet at all times (but has an extensive garage gym); it would be pretty useless for me. Peleton (and Tonal) are fantastic for a certain segment of the population, they have little value for others, and a huge segment of the population does not have $2k+$40/month to spend on exercise equipment.
I had not heard of a Tonal and had to look it up. I don’t get much value out of others coaching me personally for strength training. I tend to loathe cardio so that’s where I find the value in the Peloton. For folks more self-motivated, it would not be worth the cost.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

FireSekr wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am
arf30 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:26 am We tried the digital app as a test and found the instructors obnoxious/annoying - wish there was a service with "normal" people like the spin instructors at our local (closed down) gym.
+1

The closest to normal instructor I’ve found is Dennis Morton. He actually knows fitness and designs decent workouts rather than just being a motivational speaker with a “cool” playlist.
I highly recommend doing a free trial of the Les Mills on Demand app. They have 3 different kinds of cycling classes, RPM (their original cycling class), Sprint (a HIIT spin class), and The Trip (immersive spin workout). Not to mention all of their other workouts, like Bodypump. Their classes are all science-based and are far better than some instructor making up their own workout. No obnoxious or annoying instructors! I’ve tried Peloton, Beachbody... nothing compares to Les Mills. It is in a class of its own.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Boglegirl81 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 pm
FireSekr wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am
+1

Not to mention all of their other workouts, like Bodypump. Their classes are all science-based and are far better than some instructor making up their own workout.
Despite the fact that there was in fact a very small (and even more poorly designed) pilot trial involving bodypump that showed decent results (for untrained women) in about half of the metrics (compared to doing nothing), I would hardly call it "science-based". The entire foundation of the method is doing low weights for very high reps, "to exhaust your muscles so you don’t get bulky, you just get strength and tone;" which is contradictory to several different principles of exercise physiology. It's a decent option for someone who has little or no experience with strength training, but that's as far as I'd go.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

My wife loves it. She goes to her sister's house to use it. This morning I rode around Rose Bowl in my 10 year old road bike. The sound and smell of nature and the warm sunlight was enough to keep me motivated.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I am 3 weeks away from my 2-year anniversary with the bike, and one week from my 800th ride (just shy of 1500 classes total). I literally NEVER worked out prior to getting the bike, and the only day I've missed since then was Dec 31, 2018. Power Zone training in particular, has been a game changer for me. Since my 35-mile roundtrip commute disappeared in late March, one of my goals for this year is to put 2x as many miles on the bike as I do on my car. I think I'm going to fall just short, but not by much. :) 5,485 miles on the bike, 3,761 miles on the car.