google cloud printing discontinued

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sarahjane

google cloud printing discontinued

Post by sarahjane »

I use chromebook and wireless printer. How to print when cloud printing goes dark on 1/21?
rh00p

Re: google cloud printing discontinued

Post by rh00p »

This is why I never buy any products from Google. They have a notorious history of dropping support anytime, anywhere.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I could not figure out how to print to my wireless Brother printer from my daughter's school supplied Chromebook. I could not figure it out even with cloud printing currently in service as I type this. The instructions were overly difficult and considering cloud printing will be disabled in a couple of months, I decided not to bother. For now, I am saving to PDF to a USB drive and printing from my windows computer.

I'd love to see what other BH's do since Brother printers and Chromebooks are top recommendations here.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

sarahjane wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm I use chromebook and wireless printer. How to print when cloud printing goes dark on 1/21?
It's not 100% but most newer wireless printers will work without GCP. For example, if your printer supports IPP protocol, then you are safe.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sarahjane wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm I use chromebook and wireless printer. How to print when cloud printing goes dark on 1/21?
I read it's last day of "support" is 12/31/20.

From Google: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 3006?hl=en

Google Cloud Print will be deprecated in December 2020.

Before end of 2020—We recommend that you find an alternative print solution and migrate your print services.
January 1, 2021—Google Cloud Print will no longer be supported and devices across all operating systems will not be able to print using Google Cloud Print.

So what does this mean?

Will I be able to print to my Brother wifi printers?

EDIT: Can anyone explain if/how you can print in layman's terms? The google support page talks about CUPS and other stuff that makes me concerned that my printer will go dead or I'll need a tethered USB cord.
Last edited by heartwood on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I don't use any of these items so I can't say much but you might want to check out:
https://www.ezeep.com/alternative-to-go ... oud-print/
A free Google Cloud Print replacement aimed at ordinary consumers is ThinPrint Cloud Printer. It provides the same functionality as Google Cloud Print and helps you connect your devices to a Wi-Fi printer.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

rh00p wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:43 am This is why I never buy any products from Google. They have a notorious history of dropping support anytime, anywhere.
+ 1000 They drop products and have a poor history of helping people migrate.

Here is another example from 4 days ago!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=322588&start=50
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

heartwood wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:00 pm
I read it's last day of "support" is 12/31/20.

From Google: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 3006?hl=en

Google Cloud Print will be deprecated in December 2020.

Before end of 2020—We recommend that you find an alternative print solution and migrate your print services.
January 1, 2021—Google Cloud Print will no longer be supported and devices across all operating systems will not be able to print using Google Cloud Print.

So what does this mean?

EDIT: Can anyone explain if/how you can print in layman's terms? The google support page talks about CUPS and other stuff that makes me concerned that my printer will go dead or I'll need a tethered USB cord.
According to Google. Chrome now has printer driver support. Google Cloud Print is redundant.
According to my 2 year old Brother printer. We don't support Chrome OS.
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answer ... 1603531312

Translation: I am SOL and I print from Windows.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I do not like cloud printing, so I have never used it. Hopefully, my answer is applicable. Are you trying to print in your home from your Chromebook to your in home printer on the same WiFi network? If your printer and your Chromebook are compatible, you would simply set up the printer to work with the Chromebook without going through the cloud. I have an 8 year old printer that will work directly with the Chromebook but a 9 year old one that will not. I do not know if this is representative of the time frame of printer support in general or not.

If the above is not a solution, then I would assume that you had two options. One would be to use a different cloud based printer service. A previous post contains a link to an article that outlines some of the alternatives. The other would be to purchase a WiFi printer that was compatible with the Chromebook. I think the last one I recommended to someone was only $60 but I have not looked at this recently.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

You can print from a Chromebook to a wireless printer on your network without Google Cloud Print. This details how: https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 5252?hl=en.

The main thing you are losing is that printers automatically appeared when signed into your Google account regardless if you were on the network. Now you will have to manually install the printer driver on the Chromebook(s) and won't be able to (easily) print from a different network.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just log into my favorite picture printing online site, upload the picture from Google Cloud or a variety of other places, print and have it shipped free to my door a few days later.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 am You can print from a Chromebook to a wireless printer on your network without Google Cloud Print. This details how: https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 5252?hl=en.

The main thing you are losing is that printers automatically appeared when signed into your Google account regardless if you were on the network. Now you will have to manually install the printer driver on the Chromebook(s) and won't be able to (easily) print from a different network.
Brother laser printers have been highly recommended on this site for a long time (and I have one). As far as I can tell Brother is NOT offering printer drivers for Chromebooks. The following notice is posted on Brother's website....
Google Chrome OS and Chromebook compatibility
We don't currently offer Google Chrome OS-compatible printer or scanner drivers. However, you may print to your machine using the Google Cloud printing feature. Refer to how to "Register and Print using Google Cloud Print", for your model.

Google has announced the end of support for the Google Cloud Print service, effective December 31, 2020. Currently, we do not have any additional information to provide regarding Brother machines' future compatibility with Google Chrome OS. We do not have an estimated time to provide additional information, so please check www.brother-usa.com
periodically for any updates as they are posted.
So given no Google Cloud Print and no Brother drivers for Chromebooks my understanding is that there will be no way to use my Brother laser with my Chromebook after 12/31/2020.

Are there any other good laser printers available that I will be able to print to without Google Cloud Print beginning in 2021? I can easily live without color and like the low cost of printing and not having to deal with ink drying out when using a B&W laser.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:01 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:26 am You can print from a Chromebook to a wireless printer on your network without Google Cloud Print. This details how: https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 5252?hl=en.

Brother laser printers have been highly recommended on this site for a long time (and I have one). As far as I can tell Brother is NOT offering printer drivers for Chromebooks. The following notice is posted on Brother's website....
Google Chrome OS and Chromebook compatibility
We don't currently offer Google Chrome OS-compatible printer or scanner drivers. However, you may print to your machine using the Google Cloud printing feature. Refer to how to "Register and Print using Google Cloud Print", for your model.

Google has announced the end of support for the Google Cloud Print service, effective December 31, 2020. Currently, we do not have any additional information to provide regarding Brother machines' future compatibility with Google Chrome OS. We do not have an estimated time to provide additional information, so please check www.brother-usa.com
periodically for any updates as they are posted.

So given no Google Cloud Print and no Brother drivers for Chromebooks my understanding is that there will be no way to use my Brother laser with my Chromebook after 12/31/2020.

Are there any other good laser printers available that I will be able to print to without Google Cloud Print beginning in 2021? I can easily live without color and like the low cost of printing and not having to deal with ink drying out when using a B&W laser.
I was able to easily setup my Brother all in one inkjet on my Chromebook and print with it wirelessly. Since you don't have the Brother driver, you don't have every option. However, I could change the basic options like printing on both sides, color/black and white, etc. Using the IP address of the printer in the browser I could see ink levels, check for firmware updates, etc.

I haven't tried scanning and think that is dependent on the model. My Brother has a scan to Google Drive option so that would work for me (if that isn't also being discontinued). I can also print from Google Drive so that is an option (save doc to GD and print it using printer controls). Again, not sure if that is being discontinued or not. If it is discontinued, you can scan to and print from other services like OneDrive, DropBox, etc.

I don't print/scan much from my Chromebook and have a Windows laptop that is a good alternative.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am I was able to easily setup my Brother all in one inkjet on my Chromebook and print with it wirelessly. Since you don't have the Brother driver, you don't have every option. However, I could change the basic options like printing on both sides, color/black and white, etc. Using the IP address of the printer in the browser I could see ink levels, check for firmware updates, etc.

I haven't tried scanning and think that is dependent on the model. My Brother has a scan to Google Drive option so that would work for me (if that isn't also being discontinued).

I don't print/scan much from my Chromebook and have a Windows laptop that is a good alternative.
Any idea on where I can find clear instructions on how to set mine up to print wirelessly? I hesitate to just start playing with it because I'm in the middle of selling/buying a house and can't be without the ability to print on short notice.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:24 am I was able to easily setup my Brother all in one inkjet on my Chromebook and print with it wirelessly. Since you don't have the Brother driver, you don't have every option. However, I could change the basic options like printing on both sides, color/black and white, etc. Using the IP address of the printer in the browser I could see ink levels, check for firmware updates, etc.

I haven't tried scanning and think that is dependent on the model. My Brother has a scan to Google Drive option so that would work for me (if that isn't also being discontinued).

Any idea on where I can find clear instructions on how to set mine up to print wirelessly? I hesitate to just start playing with it because I'm in the middle of selling/buying a house and can't be without the ability to print on short notice.
I used this https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 7642?hl=en.

Even though it doesn't list Brother it worked.

At the bottom right, select the time.
Select Settings .
At the bottom, select Advanced.
Under "Printing," select Printers.
Under "Available printers to save," next to your printer, select Save.
Check that your printer appears at the top, under "Saved printers."

You can also manually add the printer, but you'd need to know the ip address.

You still have almost 2 months until Cloud Print is dead so no need to mess with it now.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 am

I used this https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... 7642?hl=en.

Even though it doesn't list Brother it worked.

Select Settings .
Under "Available printers to save," next to your printer, select Save.
Check that your printer appears at the top, under "Saved printers."

You can also manually add the printer, but you'd need to know the ip address.

You still have almost 2 months until Cloud Print is dead so no need to mess with it now.
Thanks for the instructions! :sharebeer

Yes I do have time but with moving, doing projects on new house, holidays, year-end financial planning, etc. I'm trying to get as much done now knowing that I'll be buried later (and always need access to a printer).
ballons

Post by ballons »

heartwood wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:00 pm So what does this mean?

https://support.google.com/chromebook/a ... figuration

PostScript Printer Description

Chromebooks use PPD files to support printers. PPD files are different from printer drivers and tell your Chromebook how to support a specific printer model.

In the box that appears next to “Or specify your printer PPD,” select Browse.
Choose your printer PPD, then select Open.

Important: Chromebooks support .ppd or .gzip file formats with a file size up to 250 KB.
So long as your printer has ethernet/wifi, you just need the PPD file for your specific model.

Here is how to get your PPD file in windows from brother:
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answer ... on---linux
toast0

Post by toast0 »

mmmodem wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm According to Google. Chrome now has printer driver support. Google Cloud Print is redundant.

If your Chrome device is still getting updates, Chrome OS now has a local print spooler that can print to many printers via USB and some printers over the network. If your network printer supports IPP (internet printing protocol), that seems likely to work. If your printer doesn't support that, but did have a way to sign it up for Google Cloud Print, you're probably SOL. If your printer doesn't work over USB with the drivers provided in Chrome, and you were sharing your printer to Cloud Print via a windows machine, you're probably SOL. I guess you can still print to PDF on chrome, send the file to your windows machine and print from there. FWIW, our Brother network laser printer supports IPP and works from (updated) Chrome OS devices without using Cldoud Print.

If you want to scan to Chrome OS, good luck? I've got a multifunction network printer with a USB port, we just scan to USB now, because moving the drive is less hassle than making the required sacrifices to the gods to get the network part to work.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I've had a Chromebook for three years and had to Google "Google Cloud Printing" to understand what everyone here is talking about. I remember setting up my printer quickly the day I bought the Chromebook, but don't remember the details. I've never had trouble printing to my HP Envy 7640 wifi printer. I'm not sure whether I should be worried about this feature going away or not.

Sorry if these are basic questions:

Is there some other way I might be printing from my Chromebook other than Google Cloud Printing?

Is there a setting somewhere that I can check to verify if I'm using Google Cloud Printing or not?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm I've had a Chromebook for three years and had to Google "Google Cloud Printing" to understand what everyone here is talking about. I remember setting up my printer quickly the day I bought the Chromebook, but don't remember the details. I've never had trouble printing to my HP Envy 7640 wifi printer. I'm not sure whether I should be worried about this feature going away or not.

Is there some other way I might be printing from my Chromebook other than Google Cloud Printing?

Is there a setting somewhere that I can check to verify if I'm using Google Cloud Printing or not?

Select Settings .

If there are no printers listed you are using Google Cloud Printing.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm

I use an ACER Chromebook. No access to windows. I'm computer literate but do not understand if I'm going to be able to print on my Brother laser next year.

Is this a non-event for personal use?
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:56 pm
Ice-9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm I've had a Chromebook for three years and had to Google "Google Cloud Printing" to understand what everyone here is talking about. I remember setting up my printer quickly the day I bought the Chromebook, but don't remember the details. I've never had trouble printing to my HP Envy 7640 wifi printer. I'm not sure whether I should be worried about this feature going away or not.

Select Settings .

If there are no printers listed you are using Google Cloud Printing.
Thank you. I appear to be all set when Cloud Printing goes away.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

heartwood wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:11 pm
Ice-9 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm

I use an ACER Chromebook. No access to windows. I'm computer literate but do not understand if I'm going to be able to print on my Brother laser next year.

Is this a non-event for personal use?
I'm not sure if there were advantages to the Cloud Printing method or not. But I also have an ACER Chromebook. If you set up your printer in the settings page, either by letting the Chromebook find the printer on the wifi or else manually entering the IP address, you are printing without Cloud Printing and your printing ability will be unaffected in 2021. I honestly had no idea there was some other way to do it.
TexTaxToo

Post by TexTaxToo »

mmmodem wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm
According to Google. Chrome now has printer driver support. Google Cloud Print is redundant.

As I understand it, Chrome OS does not have printer "driver" support, where a driver is executable code that runs under the OS, because Google does not want to allow any other code to get control and potentially cause problems. Instead, Chrome supports PPD files which are instructions telling the Chrome OS how to print to the printer. You'll have to talk to the printer vendor to see if there is a PPD file for your printer. Often, the PPD file does not support all the bells and whistles that a printer "driver" can support, and you may only get basic print capability.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Old thread, I realize...
I have a Canon PIXMA MX472, and the Canon printing / scanning app (inkjet/selphy) works well on my android phone to print from my Chromebook. Another shortcut I sometimes use in the printing process is to save things in an email draft for access from different devices. You don't have to actually email it, just open draft, print, and delete the draft.
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

TexTaxToo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:39 pm
mmmodem wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm

As I understand it, Chrome OS does not have printer "driver" support, where a driver is executable code that runs under the OS, because Google does not want to allow any other code to get control and potentially cause problems. Instead, Chrome supports PPD files which are instructions telling the Chrome OS how to print to the printer. You'll have to talk to the printer vendor to see if there is a PPD file for your printer. Often, the PPD file does not support all the bells and whistles that a printer "driver" can support, and you may only get basic print capability.
It's probably not a "print driver" as you describe it, but if you have a compatible network printer connected to the same network as your Chromebook, it somehow just learns about it. Probably part of some recent update, but one day while I had my Canon printer turned on it showed up as a device available to print to. I never used "cloud printing".

Settings> Advanced> Print and Scan> Printers> Add Printer
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham