Squirrel Proofing a Bird Feeder

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CABob

Re: Squirrel Proofing a Bird Feeder

Post by CABob »

I don't know if this really works, but was amused watching the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjhBKDzKcE
Bob
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Squirrel proof bird feeder

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

nativenewenglander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 am We have had this one for six months and worked beautifully keeping the squirrels on the ground.
https://www.squirrelstopper.com/082045034530-ss/

It is Not bear proof as the bear came early one day and killed the pole.

I ended up buying a bear proof feeder pole from https://wisconsinblackbears.com/bear_pr ... feeder.php
9 bags of concrete later and it due to be tested.
It was an "investment" but it needed to happen it keeps the squirrels on the ground as well.
Good Luck
FYI, I'm researching squirrel buster feeders as well and just wanted to update the squirrelstopper link above for anyone reading this thread:

https://www.jcswildlife.com/brands/Squi ... opper.html
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

You can buy a squirrel baffle or wild bird unlimited has a nice squirrel proof feeder
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
north2016

Post by north2016 »

The ones designed so that the weight of a squirrel (but not a bird) closes access to the food work well in our experience.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

North2016 - The item you refer to is the Super Stop A Squirrel Feeder (Item 810). I have been using two of these feeders year-round for the past twenty years and have not yet had a squirrel get to the seed in it. Placement of the feeder is key to its success. One of mine hangs down from a tree limb, has a 18" dome over it, is seven feet from the tree trunk and seven feet off the ground. Too far off the ground and from the tree trunk for the squirrel to jump from and when it comes down the wire from the limb onto the dome it just slides off the dome to the ground. The second feeder is mounted under the base of my deck and it is 7 feet off the ground and has a dome over it. Google the item if you would like to see it. I have three other feeders of various type going year-round.
Tom D.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

When I retire, I dream of ”squirrel proofing” bird feeders with my Benjamin 392. Until then, squirrel populations will thrive and my crockpot will be empty most days.

JT
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I gave up. I just let the squirrels eat too. I enjoy watching them anyway and sunflower seeds are cheap. Occasionally one of the neighbors cats jumps a bird under the feeder, or grabs a chipmunk and runs off with it squealing. Fighting nature is a never ending battle.
mkc

Post by mkc »

We have a Wild Bill's electrified feeder. It works well until it gets damp, for whatever reason, then it doesn't seem to zap the squirrels.

Had seen the previous recommendations for Brome squirrel buster and squirrel solution feeders and bought one a few months ago. Other than not holding as much as the Wild Bill's, we have had absolutely no issues with squirrels with the larger Squirrel Solution feeder.
nativenewenglander

Re: Squirrel proof bird feeder

Post by nativenewenglander »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm
nativenewenglander wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 am We have had this one for six months and worked beautifully keeping the squirrels on the ground.
https://www.squirrelstopper.com/082045034530-ss/

It is Not bear proof as the bear came early one day and killed the pole.

I ended up buying a bear proof feeder pole from https://wisconsinblackbears.com/bear_pr ... feeder.php
9 bags of concrete later and it due to be tested.
It was an "investment" but it needed to happen it keeps the squirrels on the ground as well.
Good Luck
FYI, I'm researching squirrel buster feeders as well and just wanted to update the squirrelstopper link above for anyone reading this thread:

https://www.jcswildlife.com/brands/Squi ... opper.html
We've had the bearproof feeder for 18 months or so it has worked beautifully keeping both bears and squirrels in check.
I highly recommend the wisconsin bear proof feeder pole. I removed the clear plastic panels and added hooks for more feeders.
I have 11 feeders on it.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

gatorman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 pm [2020 thread merged into this 2013 thread --admin LadyGeek]

So my wife bought a bird feeder. She put it up on the edge of our front porch, but no birds were using it. So, she moved it to a small tree at the edge of our yard. After a few days she told me, "the birds must really like that location, almost all the seed is gone." The next day as I was entering the house after work, I looked at the feeder and there was a squirrel sitting on the perch eating the bird seed. I told her. She bought a pole and moved the feeder to another location. The squirrels had no problem finding the new location and climbing the pole. As I am writing this they are finishing off another container of bird seed. I've googled squirrel proofing bird feeders, found a number of ideas, but I'd like some advice as to what works best before I spend money or exert any effort beyond typing. Your thoughts?
Thanks,
gatorman
Well of course as soon as you finish squirrel proofing the bears will come along. You’ll need a very strong pole with a feeder guard and guy wire reinforcements.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Coated 2" iron pole with Vasoline jelly. Slick, & squirrels don't like the taste. Worked fine.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

I have a location that does not allow for isolation to keep the squirrels off the actual feeder. This one has worked for over 10 years without success by the squirrels. Sometimes they get frustrated and hang around for a while and I need to encourage them to move on. But they never win.

Duncraft Squirrel Blocker Bird Feeder

It works best with black sunflower seeds.

Full disclosure: every couple of years, the wires holding the tube in place rust away. The squirrels will let me know because they start to find a way to get a seed or two out by pulling the tube off center. I just need to use bread twist ties to put it back in center and I win. Use thin, tightly twisted wire, no plastic twist ties (they just chew them off!)