Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mr.D315

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by Mr.D315 »

Honda cars, generators, motorcycles
iPhone still have working iPhone 3
Michelin tires
Tools buy good
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

Thermapen thermometer. Great for grilling, baking, brewing beer, etc. Well worth the $90 or so.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

superskyliner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm Sonos products
Agreed, my only concern is that it is a smaller company with some strong competitors becomming increasingly active in the space.

I love my SONOS speakers which I have in four rooms in my house and I hope that they are supported for many years to come.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
Ease of use is subjective.
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

If you're a gamer, it's inarguable Windows has a lot more games available. For processing intensive tasks, Mac's are incredibly slow compared to an equivalent price point Windows machine. I personally find MAC's harder to use and less intuitive than Windows. I do realize to some people Apple is more a cult than a computer brand :D .
I love my LG Gram 17 inch laptop. That weighs 3 pounds. With a colorful sharp display. That I'm writing this on. I was on the Mac site and didn't see a 17 inch laptop. Can someone please send me a link, perhaps I overlooked it?
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Picasso wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:45 pm
framus wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 pm Apple everything niu
Patagonia clothing
Rivendell Bicycles
I’ve been Rivendell-curious for a few years now so it’s nice to see it recommended here. I’ll buy that Atlantis one day.
I purchased a Rivendell Rambouillet (a frame that has since been discontinued) it is by far the best and most comfortable bicycle I have ever owned in my 60 + years of riding.

If you want an Atlantis I highly recommend purchasing it as soon as you are able. Grant Peterson (Rivendell's founder) is at or approaching the age at which he has previously written that he would like to retire. There is no telling what might happen to the company after that.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

bikechuck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm
superskyliner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm Sonos products
Agreed, my only concern is that it is a smaller company with some strong competitors becomming increasingly active in the space.

I love my SONOS speakers which I have in four rooms in my house and I hope that they are supported for many years to come.
This reminded me that Ikea has a line of speakers developed in partnership with Sonos. I don't have any experience with them but I've seen Sonos mentioned here repeatedly, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Business Class on overseas/very long flights.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:21 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm
Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm

I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
Absolute nonsense. The RAM, hard drive, and processor don't last longer because there's an Apple logo on the case. If you want a machine which is truly ruggedized and meets mil specs, get a Panasonic Toughbook.
Well, it' my preference. And in my experience, it has absolutely 100% been true... it's not even close.... I've never had a windows laptop survive more than 2 years..... and I've never had a MBP fail, ever....

So in answer to the original question, I don't mind paying more for an MBP, because they do last longer. And a lot of other people with experience with both, agree.
2 years? Were you playing Frisbee with them? I worked in IT and our Dell laptops were replaced at 4 years, most of them working as good as new with a fresh Windows image at the end of their lease.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

fwellimort wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:27 pm +1 to Etymotic earphones. Those are lifetime wear and hear devices. Diffuse field is amazing especially when listening to recordings and covers.

I hear amazing things too about Campfire Audio Andromeda, 64 Audio IEMs, and Sony Z1ER.

A good pair of earphones or headphones (e.g. Focal Utopia) or speakers are "worth it" investments. It's like being able to see the color blue for the first time: your ears don't know what they are missing to regular listening until you try a truly high end audio device.
My first pair of Etymotics lasted 14 years until I broke the plastic on one of the earphones due to my own mishandling. Now they’re made of aluminum so no chance of that. I replaced them last winter with Etymotic Research ER4XR Extended Response earphones. I got a great deal on them for only $231.72 on Amazon by monitoring camel3. The current price is $291.

I received a gift of Bose earphones once from my employer. They sounded good but they only lasted a few years as the cables wore out, that never happened with my Etymotics.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

An iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard! I traded into Apple my 6+ year old MacBook Pro laptop 15” for a new iPad Pro 13”. This thing runs circles around my MacBook and as the Apple rep said, does everything a Mac can and we are selling more than desktops and about laptops. Incredible how things have moved totally mobile. It acts like a laptop (as I type this), I am buying a cable to hook into external monitor (when I want a desktop experience) and then a pad when I unhook.

Awesome indeed.

I am not iPhone, iPad, and bought AirPods this week. First time in decades the house has no old time official “computer” (laptop or desktop). I wanted to consolidate my older iPad and Laptop into one device for simplicity.

The quality is there for the price.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
inverter

Post by inverter »

oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
Absolute nonsense. The RAM, hard drive, and processor don't last longer because there's an Apple logo on the case. If you want a machine which is truly ruggedized and meets mil specs, get a Panasonic Toughbook.
Well, it' my preference. And in my experience, it has absolutely 100% been true... it's not even close.... I've never had a windows laptop survive more than 2 years..... and I've never had a MBP fail, ever....

So in answer to the original question, I don't mind paying more for an MBP, because they do last longer. And a lot of other people with experience with both, agree.
I've certainly had Windows machines last longer than two years. It's kind of ironic Apple pushes the AppleCare so hard if they are more durable. Marketing message: our products suck so much everyone really needs this extended warranty. If you want a real ruggedized laptop, get a Panasonic Toughbook. You can drop those three feet onto concrete and have them work fine.

As for anecdotes, I can find counter-anecdotes with a 1s Google search.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6713610.
viewtopic.php?t=328029
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 pm Etymotic earphones
TiVos
+1 Love my ER4XR!
framus

Post by framus »

bikechuck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm
Patagonia clothing
Rivendell Bicycles
I’ve been Rivendell-curious for a few years now so it’s nice to see it recommended here. I’ll buy that Atlantis one day.
I purchased a Rivendell Rambouillet (a frame that has since been discontinued) it is by far the best and most comfortable bicycle I have ever owned in my 60 + years of riding.

If you want an Atlantis I highly recommend purchasing it as soon as you are able. Grant Peterson (Rivendell's founder) is at or approaching the age at which he has previously written that he would like to retire. There is no telling what might happen to the company after that.
If one is Rivendell curious it is worth looking at their www site ( https://www.rivbike.com ) to read their philosophy about bicycles and riding. Their perspective differs from what one will find in most bike shops.
-Framus
JPH

Post by JPH »

matti wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 pm My CW-X Pro running shorts have been bulletproof.
Where have you been running that you need that?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
02nz

Post by 02nz »

OLED TV, since no one's mentioned it yet. LG is the biggest maker (and the only one that manufacturers OLED panels for TVs), but Sony and now Vizio also offer OLED TVs.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Sanita clogs.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

GreenLawn wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.

Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.

If you're a gamer, it's inarguable Windows has a lot more games available. For processing intensive tasks, Mac's are incredibly slow compared to an equivalent price point Windows machine. I personally find MAC's harder to use and less intuitive than Windows. I do realize to some people Apple is more a cult than a computer brand :D .
I love my LG Gram 17 inch laptop. That weighs 3 pounds. With a colorful sharp display. That I'm writing this on. I was on the Mac site and didn't see a 17 inch laptop. Can someone please send me a link, perhaps I overlooked it?
16 inches is the largest display you can get now in a MacBook. 4.3 lbs. $2400+.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

-Apple MacBook, iPad, iPhone. My heavily used personal laptop is a MacBook that’s 8 years old, works very well and is still supported by the latest OS X (all free upgrades). I updated the RAM and added a 2TB SSD.
-North Face backpack still looks great after 15 years of heavy almost daily use.
-Toyota Camry, 1999. Sold it for $1k cash. An iPhone costs more! It only required maybe $500/yr in standard wear and tear maintenance or less. Some years zero. I sold it because I wanted a newer, safer car. I realized that if i waited for it to die, I’d never get a new car. An amazing value for reliable transportation. Never, ever left me stranded.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

As an avid Windows/Ubuntu user (with experience on a Mac throughout my high school), I will say that for the average person, Macs (before and after the butterfly keyboard [those laptops were rubbish]) especially this year's models are 'worth it' over the average Windows machine.

Windows 10 is a great operating system. It's not the Windows Vista or whatever people remember. The OS really did improve and in many ways, I find the OS better to Mac OS today.

However, there's 1 big difference between Windows machines and Mac machines. Apple produces high quality laptops so the experience an average person gets with Macs are highly positive.
The quality of Windows machines are all over the place. For the average consumer, the quality of Windows machines they pick are 'not that good'.

I find if one wants to compare to Macs with Windows machine, one really should be comparing with higher end models like: Dell Latitude 7000/9000 series, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 series, Surface Books (and those are probably all actually).
These models cost just as much as Apple laptops and the average buyer will probably not be buying these laptops: Dell Latitude 7000/9000 series for instance isn't sold anywhere commercially (it's a business grade laptop, not for home usage).
And the average person isn't going to go out of his/her way to learn which laptops are worth it in quality and service. He/She is just going to purchase whatever 'fits the specs'.

I just wanted to point it out.
If you are going to compare with Macbooks, compare with Latitude 7000/9000 or Thinkpad X1 (please avoid if you are a caps lock user) or Surface Book.
Don't compare with the average Windows machine. Specs aren't everything.
I would argue the service of full protection on Latitude 7000/9000 models are astounding. Your computer has issue? Dell will send a box in a day for you to put in just so they can fix ASAP. In the past, Dell even (anywhere globally) sent their workers to your home to fix whatever issue/inconvenience one might have.
Of course that also means the laptop prices with insurance comes at a premium especially since these services don't exist in Macs.
(btw, none of these kind of services exist with the lower end Dell models so if you have an Inspiron [a great machine when working perfectly fine], don't expect any of these services. There's a reason why Dell separates home grade laptops to business grade laptops: the latter is where quality is at)

Having stated such, I think the average person purchases a Windows over Macs to save costs for the 'same hardware specs'. Makes sense but I hope people don't use that experience as a general cover of Mac vs Windows: there are a few high quality Windows machines. It's just the average person hasn't had experiences with them (and why would they, some of those cost like 2 or 3 grands. Complete overkill for home usage).

Anyways, any Etymotic ER4SR users here. :D Clearly better than ER4XR :D
Last edited by fwellimort on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

Original art that captures you (and you can't get it out of your mind-no matter what)

Quality custom designed and built furniture

Business class seats on long distance/overseas air flights

Maybe not an item - a service: custom architectural drawings for a 'big' building project

The rest - Toyota
cast iron pans
good shoes
etc.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For me I've come to appreciate good fitting clothing that is also low maintenance and well sewn. I'm not talking about "fashion", just practical clothes that will last many years while also looking decent. In some cases that means made to measure custom clothing that's now reasonably affordable on the internet such as Proper Cloth dress shirts. Even proper fitting t-shirts, polo shirts, and exercise shorts can make a difference. All things considered it's not a huge percentage of budget especially if they end up lasting longer.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm Business Class on overseas/very long flights.
Every distance.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

We have a 2014 MBP that’s still going just as strong. We only have owned 2-3 windows based laptops before but never at the mbp pricepoint so its not really a fair comparison.

Having said that, I do think this laptop could easily last another 6 years for what we use without any issues. In my guesstimate I dont think I could say the same for a windows based laptop of an equal price point ($2500) in 2014.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Chicken lady wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:25 pm Original art that captures you (and you can't get it out of your mind-no matter what)
This. There is a piece I passed up but still wish I had bought. Artist no longer makes it ( clay tile mural).
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
High end acoustic guitars. May not be warrantied, but surely worth the price
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

02nz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 pm OLED TV, since no one's mentioned it yet. LG is the biggest maker (and the only one that manufacturers OLED panels for TVs), but Sony and now Vizio also offer OLED TVs.

Dude yes. We have OLED for the living room and bedroom. They are amazing.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

RXfiles wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 pm
02nz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 pm OLED TV, since no one's mentioned it yet. LG is the biggest maker (and the only one that manufacturers OLED panels for TVs), but Sony and now Vizio also offer OLED TVs.

Dude yes. We have OLED for the living room and bedroom. They are amazing.
Thank you both. I don’t have an OLED TV yet, I’ve been holding out. Looking forward to it though.....
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

fwellimort wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:18 pm Anyways, any Etymotic ER4SR users here. Clearly better than ER4XR
Sorry, I could only choose one and I wanted the extra bass.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I probably would’ve posted about it but I don’t own one. I will once my Panasonic plasma dies which may be never. If microLED becomes a thing first I’ll buy one of those next as they’re supposed to be even better.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

I have a pair of $16 Quiksilver sandals that have lasted for years. I've lost count how many. I wear them everyday - both indoors and out. Never owned footwear as durable.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

fwellimort wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:18 pm As an avid Windows/Ubuntu user (with experience on a Mac throughout my high school), I will say that for the average person, Macs (before and after the butterfly keyboard [those laptops were rubbish]) especially this year's models are 'worth it' over the average Windows machine.

Windows 10 is a great operating system. It's not the Windows Vista or whatever people remember. The OS really did improve and in many ways, I find the OS better to Mac OS today.

However, there's 1 big difference between Windows machines and Mac machines. Apple produces high quality laptops so the experience an average person gets with Macs are highly positive.
The quality of Windows machines are all over the place. For the average consumer, the quality of Windows machines they pick are 'not that good'.

I find if one wants to compare to Macs with Windows machine, one really should be comparing with higher end models like: Dell Latitude 7000/9000 series, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 series, Surface Books (and those are probably all actually).
These models cost just as much as Apple laptops and the average buyer will probably not be buying these laptops: Dell Latitude 7000/9000 series for instance isn't sold anywhere commercially (it's a business grade laptop, not for home usage).
And the average person isn't going to go out of his/her way to learn which laptops are worth it in quality and service. He/She is just going to purchase whatever 'fits the specs'.

I just wanted to point it out.
If you are going to compare with Macbooks, compare with Latitude 7000/9000 or Thinkpad X1 (please avoid if you are a caps lock user) or Surface Book.
Don't compare with the average Windows machine. Specs aren't everything.
I would argue the service of full protection on Latitude 7000/9000 models are astounding. Your computer has issue? Dell will send a box in a day for you to put in just so they can fix ASAP. In the past, Dell even (anywhere globally) sent their workers to your home to fix whatever issue/inconvenience one might have.
Of course that also means the laptop prices with insurance comes at a premium especially since these services don't exist in Macs.
(btw, none of these kind of services exist with the lower end Dell models so if you have an Inspiron [a great machine when working perfectly fine], don't expect any of these services. There's a reason why Dell separates home grade laptops to business grade laptops: the latter is where quality is at)

Having stated such, I think the average person purchases a Windows over Macs to save costs for the 'same hardware specs'. Makes sense but I hope people don't use that experience as a general cover of Mac vs Windows: there are a few high quality Windows machines. It's just the average person hasn't had experiences with them (and why would they, some of those cost like 2 or 3 grands. Complete overkill for home usage).

Anyways, any Etymotic ER4SR users here. :D Clearly better than ER4XR :D
You're right about comparing apples to oranges. Folks buy an inexpensive Windows laptop and compare it to a Mac. I love to see competition, so even if I never buy a Mac I want to see them keep Windows evolving.

I'm not against Macs for other people, they just don't fit the bill for me. My background is in Windows and I don't want to pay a lot of money for the privilege of learning another OS. In the past Macs were overpriced and very few models were offered. Maybe it's different now. I've been tinkering with Linux, so if I get bored with Windows that's likely the path I'd take. There is a Linux learning curve for sure, but I'm a big fan of free.

I will say wonderful things about the latest iPad. For whatever reason, the Windows world dropped the ball on tablets. I bought the 10 inch iPad for $250 bucks on sale last year. Hard to believe Apple has come down that much in price, the iPad is a very good value!

So I'm a moderate Apple fanboy when it comes to the iPad. Regarding laptops, still waiting for Apple to produce a 3 lb 17-inch laptop. If and when that happens, I'll take a look at it.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Toyota.
boglefannyc

Post by boglefannyc »

McCann’s steel cut Irish oatmeal.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

02nz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm
GreenLawn wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 pm

16 inches is the largest display you can get now in a MacBook. 4.3 lbs. $2400+.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/
Thanks for the link. MacBook Air in 17 inch is what I'd like to see. Light enough to kick back in bed and surf the internet with, sharp colorful display, and a gloriously large 17 inch display. Right now the 3 lb LG Gram 17 inch ($1300 on sale at Costco when I bought it) is in a class by itself. It's funny to read the online reviews as they have nothing to compare it to, so they resort to 15 inch laptops, which aren't even close.
ensign

Post by ensign »

A brick or stone house, or a combination thereof. Avoid wood or aluminum siding unless you love painting and writing checks for constant maintenance costs.

Post by 837373684 »

+1. Still using our maxed out 2010 17” daily. Replaced the battery 3 years ago. Replacing it end of the year, because we want Catalina.
Also use a maxed out 2015 MBP without problems and a almost maxed out 2016 MBP.
My parents have a 2013 MBP, which is also going strong.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

framus wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 pm
bikechuck wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm
Patagonia clothing
Rivendell Bicycles

If one is Rivendell curious it is worth looking at their www site ( https://www.rivbike.com ) to read their philosophy about bicycles and riding. Their perspective differs from what one will find in most bike shops.
-Framus
I enjoy their web site and you are right that they do not sell feather light bicycles made out of plastic (or carbon fiber if you prefer that term) that are appropriate for racers and/or people that like to suit up and look like a racer whilst riding with their buddies.

Riv thinks that everyday riders need a better bicycle than racers use because their team is not replacing their bicycle each season or in some cases several times per year. You might feel a bit out of place if you engage in club rides where testosterone flows and everyone tries to impress each other by riding at high speeds with frequent sprints and compete for bragging rights about who has the lightest bike in the group. That said your Riv bicycle will most likely last a lifetime and it might well be the most comfortable bicycle that you ever own.

You might find yourself riding more often because if you choose a Riv frame that fits it will be a joy to ride. A final point is that their bicycles are beautiful in a classic sense if that matters to you.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Anything and everything other than apple products :twisted:

Whether you think they are quality or not they are still overpriced. There is a reason they are so filthy rich.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Unless you're gaming or editing pics etc. You don't need a 2k laptop. You don't gain anything. You can browse bogleheads.org, look at Facebook, reddit, word processing etc on a 10 year old Dell inspiron. We've had the same Lenovo PCs where I work for 6 years and they're in use almost 24hrs day for the whole 6 years and no problems. What the hell are you guys doing to your laptops for them to only last 2 years.

Its just not true that Apple has longevity over other products. If you wanna pay for the OS that's fine and apple does have a good touch pad and keyboard but that's where the benefits over other laptops end.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Agree completely on OLED.

Also custom furniture.
kerfuffle

Post by kerfuffle »

I read through all of this nodding my head along with most things (Toyota! Good knives! Etc) and kept waiting for someone to say: good sheets. Maybe I’m just one of those weirdos who is obsessed (true) but a glorious set of good sheets lasts basically forever and makes slipping into bed after a long day that much more comforting. Restoration Hardware, Peacock Alley.

Also, a good showerhead.

So, I guess I lean toward quality that lasts - and improves quality of life.

I don’t have space in my life for generic Q-tips (a mistake I will never make again!)
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

kerfuffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm I read through all of this nodding my head along with most things (Toyota! Good knives! Etc) and kept waiting for someone to say: good sheets. Maybe I’m just one of those weirdos who is obsessed (true) but a glorious set of good sheets lasts basically forever and makes slipping into bed after a long day that much more comforting. Restoration Hardware, Peacock Alley.

Also, a good showerhead.

So, I guess I lean toward quality that lasts - and improves quality of life.

I don’t have space in my life for generic Q-tips (a mistake I will never make again!)
Down comforter too.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

I was tweaking dip switches and motherboard jumpers on 386DX machines when I was a kid. Until my first laptop, every desktop I owned was assembled part by part from mail order. Used virtually every generation of Dell Precision for the last decade at work. Using now a Precision and a Latitude 7xxx series (good machine). Typing on a Lenovo X1 Carbon.

That said, Macs are better.

I'd like to say it started around the Mac OS days, but for sure since around Snow Leopard/Intel/Macbook Pro days. Specs be damned. The actual, physical hardware is better. The actual sturdiness of the chassis. The hinge having just the precise amount of resistance. The screens of virtually every model being high in viewing angle, color gamut, brightness level. The speaker of virtually every model being quite good for a laptop. The headphone output of virtually every model amplified by a good DAC. etc. The touchpad is still the best in the industry 10 years running.

The package is better, and the overall experience end to end is just superior. People quote RAM/$ and benchmark figures as if they matter. Porsche cars have never ever had the most HP/$ in their class, but year after year they manage to win every accolade under the sun because they put together a more complete product.
mkc

Post by mkc »

boglefannyc wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm McCann’s steel cut Irish oatmeal.
Try pinhead oats from Alford
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:54 pm I have a pair of $16 Quiksilver sandals that have lasted for years. I've lost count how many. I wear them everyday - both indoors and out. Never owned footwear as durable.
I have a pair of Rainbow sandals that I bought at 16 and still wear at least weekly today...I'll be 40 in March. I've also had a single wallet (it's Billabong) in my lifetime; I think I got it for Christmas when I was 13.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

OLED TVs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RXfiles wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:41 pm Unless you're gaming or editing pics etc. You don't need a 2k laptop. You don't gain anything. You can browse bogleheads.org, look at Facebook, reddit, word processing etc on a 10 year old Dell inspiron. We've had the same Lenovo PCs where I work for 6 years and they're in use almost 24hrs day for the whole 6 years and no problems. What the hell are you guys doing to your laptops for them to only last 2 years.

Its just not true that Apple has longevity over other products. If you wanna pay for the OS that's fine and apple does have a good touch pad and keyboard but that's where the benefits over other laptops end.
My HP laptop that I am typing this post on was purchased during my final year of my PhD, so it's 9yrs old.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Great towels that are large, fluffy and absorbent. Though I am searching for a brand...
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

Waterfront property.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

As I get older, I see the wisdom behind 'buy once cry once'. (Also, now actually being able to afford the stuff I cry about helps).

Arc'teryx outdoor gear. Expensive as heck, but worth it for the durability, breathability, and warmth for a given weight/thickness.

In the same line, Darn Tough socks are amazing. They also come with a lifetime warranty, so as long as you don't lose them in the wash, you can replace them as they wear out and possibly save in the long run.

I finally splurged on a Breville Smart oven last year, and now realize how much I cost myself by cheaping out all these years. Yes, those $30 ovens add up to less than the cost of one Breville, but they don't add up to the improved quality of life.