Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BrooklynInvest

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by BrooklynInvest »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 am
SwampDonkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am

My folks purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma ~10-15 years ago. Still the best picture quality of any tv I have ever watched a game on. The images and colors are extremely bright and vivid.
They want to replace it with something bigger but haven't been able to find anything in the stores that can replicate the same quality of picture.

I understand plasmas are power-hogs compared to more modern tvs but if I had the option to select an older plasma vs a newer LCD, I'd easily pick the plasma.
we really like that Viera line as well but theyve gone the way of the dodo
OMG, I had a Viera I wanna say 15-20 year ago. The picture wasn't as good as a modern TV but I think that because the body of the TV was deeper in those days the sound from my TV was phenomenal without the need for more stuff.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm
Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm Items worth the money for quality:

1. Home with a View: Nothing like seeing the sunset over the ocean every evening. Once experienced, it really limits future housing options.

2. Luxury Cruise Lines: I want to get away on a vacation, so a smaller ship allows me to do that compared to mass market cruising.

3. 5-Star Luxury Hotels: Many have such great levels of service (concierge, room service, housekeeping) and hard product. Even if we are not in the room most of the day, the experience is worth it when we return. And, most don't have massive lobbies crowded with boatloads of tourists.

4. Personal Guides: So many great experiences with hiring guides to bring us to amazing places and speak the local language for us. And, in some places, they will steer you away from danger before it presents itself.

5. Streaming Content on TV: Just started this post-COVID, and it really has created such value to my decompression time.

6. Quality Wine: Danger--once you try it, you will be hooked for life.

7. Leather seating: In cars and living rooms.
1. A nice view is a wonderful thing.

3. A good sized room in a luxury hotel is definitely enjoyable. Random example, from our last trip: 70m2 in the Aman Tokyo with a view of the Imperial Palace and Gardens, with Mt Fuji in the distance, plus an excellent restaurant, was really lovely.

4. I wish I knew how to find a great guide. Any suggestions?

6. Another identification problem. Our experience is close to the numerous double blind studies of wine tasting.

For travel, I'd add that Uber or the like is a major advantage compared to mass transit (unless transit is faster and not crowded - business class on high speed trains, for example).
3. Try the Palace Hotel next time, along with a room category that provides for the executive lounge. Love the concierge and staff at this hotel.

4. I've used guides suggested by concierges, and in the past, Trip Advisor reviews. The last guide I used I met on a ship's excursion. Knew we were going to be coming back for a longer vacation, so got her card. She was delightful and was the best prepared guide ever.

6. Label prestige can influence taste buds, for sure. But it is hard/impossible for cheap wines to achieve the complexity and body found in very expensive wines. (as an aside, I had a relative switch Two Buck Chuck with an expensive wine and vice-versa. Everyone who sipped from the expensive bottle holding Chuck raved over it. I also held a blind champagne tasting of 10 brands/price points. A mid-range variety far out-performed far more expensive bottles).

Business Class on trains: Another Vote from me. Crowd reduction = Serenity. Once had to spend 5.5 hours on a train that was "stuck" in the middle of nowhere. Glad we were in the Business Class cabin!
3. The Palace has its fans. There's also a new Four Seasons in the neighborhood. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury- ... hread.html We were very impressed by the Aman - check it out if you're so inclined.

4. I've become more cautious about Trip Advisor (I see you mention it in the past tense). There are too many reviews that seem to come from another universe.

6. Yes, especially to your parenthetical.
dpt486

Post by dpt486 »

If you need power tools the Milwaukee M18 line is top notch. I have everything from a drill to a weed eater, and believe they will likely outlast me! They have 3 tiers, the brushed ones would do for most home owners but the fuel line is phenomenal.

I also recently purchased a Weber propane grill. Built VERY solid and cooks food evenly - much better than the rusted out Brinkman it replaced.

We’ve had great luck with Toyota’s - First a 2013 Corolla and now a 2014 4Runner. Good tires are a must too. I enjoy Michelin’s or Toyos.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Mentioned in many other threads, the Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500. Mine is 7 years old and never a hiccup.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Darn tough socks
Big green egg
DeWalt cordless tools
New Balance
Apple
Prime beef
Craft west coast IPA
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 pm 3. The Palace has its fans. There's also a new Four Seasons in the neighborhood. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury- ... hread.html We were very impressed by the Aman - check it out if you're so inclined.
We should try some different ones when we are Tokyo, but have been so well-treated at the Palace, hard to not go there. Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of that FT thread, which is quite interesting!
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

Luckywon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 pm Tumi luggage.
Also Osprey luggage and backpacks
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-s ... -guarantee
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

bagle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am Sonos speakers and soundbars (not as good as audiophile Naim, but good enough and user-friendly)
Many times Sonos has been mentioned on this thread. Are they really that great? Based on price alone I can't imagine they stand up to the speakers you'd find in a Best Buy Magnolia room.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

dkdoy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:13 pm Darn tough socks
Big green egg
DeWalt cordless tools
New Balance
Apple
Prime beef
Craft west coast IPA
Nice call on the egg. I got one a month ago, best burgers, pizza, etc., etc. I have ever had!
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Nao Robot! Best friend and best assistant I ever had
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 pm
Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 pm 3. The Palace has its fans. There's also a new Four Seasons in the neighborhood. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury- ... hread.html We were very impressed by the Aman - check it out if you're so inclined.
We should try some different ones when we are Tokyo, but have been so well-treated at the Palace, hard to not go there. Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of that FT thread, which is quite interesting!
If you aren't already, you might try using one of the luxury oriented travel agents. Many can offer various benefits to improve a hotel stay.

I hope we can all start traveling again in the not too distant future.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm (as an aside, I had a relative switch Two Buck Chuck with an expensive wine and vice-versa. Everyone who sipped from the expensive bottle holding Chuck raved over it. I also held a blind champagne tasting of 10 brands/price points. A mid-range variety far out-performed far more expensive bottles).
If this doesn't tell you all you need to know about expensive wine, I don't know what does.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 pm
If you aren't already, you might try using one of the luxury oriented travel agents. Many can offer various benefits to improve a hotel stay.

Who is a good luxury travel agent?
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

latesaver wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm
bagle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:56 am Sonos speakers and soundbars (not as good as audiophile Naim, but good enough and user-friendly)
Many times Sonos has been mentioned on this thread. Are they really that great? Based on price alone I can't imagine they stand up to the speakers you'd find in a Best Buy Magnolia room.
Their focus is convenient setup and streaming, not maximizing sound quality per dollar.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

Sonos sound is ok. It will never be as good as a dedicated Stereo system but it has decent enough sound and easy to implement throughout your home. They are overpriced for what you get in sound quality, but the ease of deployment is quite nice. I use it for my outdoor speakers and my master bath. I have a dedicate system in my living room that absolutely destroys the Sonos, but I can't have a dedicated system in every room.
bglhdism

Post by bglhdism »

Filson and Patagonia. Both have always completely replaced or repaired (free or at a reasonable price) everything I've ever sent back, years after purchasing.
percy

Post by percy »

Camera lenses. A really sharp, fast zoom lens can easily cost $2,000, compared to the cheap "kit" zoom lenses that often come with camera bodies. You can get a very nice 50mm lens for not much money, but for wide or long prime lenses, those get expensive too, and worth it.
DeaconSig

Post by DeaconSig »

MrBobcat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 pm
Carguy85 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:21 pm Henry lever action rifle. Made in the USA and quality to the max. Has performed flawlessly and has lifetime guarantee.
I'm partial to Marlin lever actions, but I do have a Henry too. Both good. As far as value for revolvers... Ruger, though I really want a Freedom Arms.
I like Marlins, too. Will be interesting to see what Ruger does with the brand.
shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 »

Klipsch speakers. We own and love this bookshelf pair

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKH3VPV/re ... JFbJT9Z9WX
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Chaco sandals - bought a pair in 2005. Sent them back to Chaco to have them resoled in 2016 for free. They returned them in "like new" condition. Still wearing them today.

iPhone - tried to save money by going LG Android a few years ago. The UI was so not-user friendly I returned it within two weeks. This is the only time I've EVER returned a piece of technology simply out of frustration.

Eddie Bauer Rolling luggage - I used to go through suitcases every couple of years. Had my EBs for 4+ years and they're still going strong. And they have a lifetime warranty.

Ridgid power tools from Home Depot - tried to save money by buying the cheap drill from Wal-Mart; battery died within 6 months. Then tried the Harbor Freight drill, same problem. Bought a Ridgid tool set on Black Friday about seven years ago; batteries are still going strong AND the batteries and tools have a lifetime warranty. Every cordless power tool I have is now Ridgid - lifetime warranties on all of them.

Garmin watch for running/biking - not a huge runner (400-500 miles/year) but I love data and the garmin watch combined with their iphone app provide tons of metrics which are fun.
Last edited by SwampDonkey on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeaconSig

Post by DeaconSig »

Nice pocket knives:
Benchmade
Spyderco (Japanese made)
Kershaw (US made)
squirm

Post by squirm »

Kopp's ice cream.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:07 pm
I actually disagree with them about all clad. Cuisinart multi clad is the same middling product for a fraction of the price, although you can get all clad for much less than retail.

Cookware brands worth the money would be Matfer, Mauviel 250, Falk, Fissler, Paderno, or any commercial brand for that matter.

Demeyere or Lagostina if you want cladded sidewalls. De buyer or Darto for carbon steel. Good old lodge is as much as you should pay for any cast iron.
I agree on all-clad. Surprised at how much love they are getting. It's fine, but ... the Cuisinart is just as good, and there's even a french made set. Me, I love, love my Demeyere atlantis line. They are just fabulous. No rivets is awesome. With them, a Fissler pressure cooker, and my lodge logic skillet is fabulous.

Since you are so right (IMHO!) on those three brands, I'm going to assume your other recommendations are all boffo too! :)
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

urodoc1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:49 pm
TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:08 am
My kingdom for a great pillow - firm core, soft comfy but supportive outer material. Wish I could find one.
I bought a Coop shredded memory foam pillow a few years ago. Now my wife has one, and my parents just got them too after using them at our place. Not sure if they'll be exactly what you're looking for, but worth checking out at least
I'm a BIG fan of buckwheat pillows (and have tried the Coop, among many others). There are several premium manufacturers. They are cooler / breathable, and adjustably firm. You can go side to back to front sleeping with one pillow. Totally an acquired taste, love hate. You do not get the soft comfy outside.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

First, and most importantly, on chocolate: Champlain gets a good +1. Others I like are chocolove and endangered species.

Others have mentioned these, and they're great: Ortlieb paniers, rivendell bikes, LG gram, breville smart ovens, darn tough socks, concept 2 rowers, saddleback leather, cast iron, thermapen thermometer, saddleback leather, Zojirushi travel mug, brooklinen, flax linens, toyota

Moving on:
Fibrament baking stones
Mechanical keyboards: I use an ergodox
CST / X-keys trackball
Soma bike frame
Were ratcheting screwdriver
American made new balance sneakers
Limmer boots
Bike: Busch and Muller bike lights, schwable marathon supreme tires, kool stop break pads
Henry Tropicool roof paint
Bosch cordless drill and bosch masonary drill bits
Fiestaware
Liberty Table flatware (American made in the old Oneida factory, it's awesome)
Induction stove... I love it.
Stationary: jetstream pens, pilot hightec c, sailor ink, Leichturn journals
neutrogena hydrogel moisturizer
Real crab meat
Moen Faucets
Swiss army surplus coats
Sal's suds
Shaving: Feather blades, tabac or mitchel's wool fat
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

AnonJohn wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 pm
I actually disagree with them about all clad. Cuisinart multi clad is the same middling product for a fraction of the price, although you can get all clad for much less than retail.

Cookware brands worth the money would be Matfer, Mauviel 250, Falk, Fissler, Paderno, or any commercial brand for that matter.

Demeyere or Lagostina if you want cladded sidewalls. De buyer or Darto for carbon steel. Good old lodge is as much as you should pay for any cast iron.
I agree on all-clad. Surprised at how much love they are getting. It's fine, but ... the Cuisinart is just as good, and there's even a french made set. Me, I love, love my Demeyere atlantis line. They are just fabulous. No rivets is awesome. With them, a Fissler pressure cooker, and my lodge logic skillet is fabulous.

Since you are so right (IMHO!) on those three brands, I'm going to assume your other recommendations are all boffo too! :)
Haha, there’s a small forum dedicated to cookware on chowhound.

As for all clad, it’s usually the first the salesperson recommends to young people. It was to me anyway, also there’s worse choices like tramontina or calphalon tri ply.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Bronko wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:24 pm
bikechuck wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am
kerfuffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm I read through all of this nodding my head along with most things (Toyota! Good knives! Etc) and kept waiting for someone to say: good sheets. Maybe I’m just one of those weirdos who is obsessed (true) but a glorious set of good sheets lasts basically forever and makes slipping into bed after a long day that much more comforting. Restoration Hardware, Peacock Alley.

Also, a good showerhead.

So, I guess I lean toward quality that lasts - and improves quality of life.

I don’t have space in my life for generic Q-tips (a mistake I will never make again!)
Can you recommend a good showerhead?
Speakman
Love my Speakman.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Lee_WSP wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm
AnonJohn wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Haha, there’s a small forum dedicated to cookware on chowhound.

As for all clad, it’s usually the first the salesperson recommends to young people. It was to me anyway, also there’s worse choices like tramontina or calphalon tri ply.
The affordable alternative to All-Clad is the Vollrath Tribute line of cookware. It's for sale at restaurant supply stores - heavy-duty tri-ply stainless steel suitable for commercial kitchens. They are near indestructible.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Independent George wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 pm
The affordable alternative to All-Clad is the Vollrath Tribute line of cookware. It's for sale at restaurant supply stores - heavy-duty tri-ply stainless steel suitable for commercial kitchens. They are near indestructible.
Actually, that's the affordable version of Demeyere Proline/Industry 5. It's still more expensive than Cuisinart, but not quite as thick of an aluminum core as Demeyere Proline (but slightly thicker than Industry 5). And being the equivalent of Industry 5, it is actually better than All Clad having a thicker aluminum core.

However, since it is designed for commercial kitchens, the handles aren't nearly as comfortable as any of the home cook options. Of course, there are a lot of people who take issue with All Clad's handles, but I think we can all agree that the fit & finish of All Clad is better than Vollrath.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:52 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:48 pm
inverter wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 pm Filson. All-Clad pots & good cast iron. Good shoes.
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Definitely not. You can get the same performance, in terms of graphics card, processor, and RAM, cheaper in a Windows machine.
Yes but you’re assuming you are just paying for the hardware, and not the better software, ease of use, etc.
Ease of use is subjective.
I agree with marshall. I’ve used HP , Lenovo and HP through work - high end developer machines. Mac is better.

I also agree with Marshall. A MacBookPro will probably last 3 times as long as anything from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.
Agree. My friend is a teacher, and they buy Apple devices for the classrooms because they stand up to abuse much better. She has seen Macbooks last five years or more in elementary school classrooms.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Good scotch
Prime/wagyu beef
Quality coffee
SSD hard drives
Porsche’s
Traeger grill
Viking stove
A hot tub
A great mattress

I’m hungry.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

sasquatch12 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Sonos sound is ok. It will never be as good as a dedicated Stereo system but it has decent enough sound and easy to implement throughout your home. They are overpriced for what you get in sound quality, but the ease of deployment is quite nice. I use it for my outdoor speakers and my master bath. I have a dedicate system in my living room that absolutely destroys the Sonos, but I can't have a dedicated system in every room.
Somewhat agree. God sound quality but not audiophile. But For me it’s more about filling the entire house with background music; awesome for entertaining Or for cooking and eating dinner or for spa music while reading or teaching kids, etc.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm
Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Who is a good luxury travel agent?
I sent you a PM. I'd recommend reading the luxury travel forum at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury- ... ravel-220/ Lots of good information there. Virtuoso is an umbrella organization of agents and many hotel chains have their own networks.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

mkc wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:48 pm
forgeblast wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm concept model 2 mower
I know this is just a typo, but I can just picture some kind of manual "row to mow" zero-turn setup :wink:
Lol auto correct on the phone!!
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

oldfort wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:38 pm
Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:02 pm (as an aside, I had a relative switch Two Buck Chuck with an expensive wine and vice-versa. Everyone who sipped from the expensive bottle holding Chuck raved over it. I also held a blind champagne tasting of 10 brands/price points. A mid-range variety far out-performed far more expensive bottles).
If this doesn't tell you all you need to know about expensive wine, I don't know what does.
Either that or you have a group of folks who don't want to insult their host - or a group who happens to have no taste buds for good wine.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

sasquatch12 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:24 pm As far as the Mac vs PC debate. I have owned many models of Mac and PC, never had either actually break and need repair. I just ended up replacing then when they became too old and slow. Laptops and Desktops from the higher end boutique manufacturers are very high quality. I have owned Falcon Northwest, Origin and Digital Storm and all had very high build quality. I used to repair Mac's many years ago and recently did a repair on my sisters 2017 Mac Book Pro. It required me to open it up and re-solder the power connector, I must say the quality of the components inside has gone down over the last 8 years or so. The have a mixture of quality and cheap parts along with really poor soldering on the main board. Still better quality than an inexpensive generic windows laptop but not like it was before. Profits before quality.

If you want to see some of the quality issues with Mac Books and laptops in general go on Youtube and look up Louis Rossmann. He repairs computers for a living and can show you all the issues and how the quality has gone down in the last decade or so. It was better when Jobs was still alive. Forgot to mention I do like Apple OS better than Windows, but as I like to game I mainly use my Windows gaming PC and my Mac Book Pro for everything else.
Thumbs up for referencing Louis Rossman - I've actually mentioned him in a couple threads from people who needed Apple repairs. As he says himself, the issue is not that Apple is uniquely bad - because they're really not. It's that when a Lenovo breaks, people will say Lenovo is terrible. When an Apple breaks, people are gaslit into believing they must have done something wrong themselves, and the community makes excuses for why their defective engineering was actually genius. The end result is that when you blame customers for a poor product, there is no accountability and quality inevitably goes down.

For those who are interested in more details, here's a short video about how a Macbook's fan profile doesn't turn on until the core temp reaches 81 C, thereby shortening CPU life. The average user doesn't care about that - all they experience is that the Apple computer is quieter than a Windows computer. In all probability, if all they're doing is browse the web, skype, office, and iTunes, chances are they're not going to stress the CPU to that point anyway. At the same time, enough people do run their computers that hot, and fry their CPUs, that they take their broken machines in to Rossman to fix when the Genius Bar quotes them something exorbitant.

Again, the point is not that this only happens with Apple (becuase it doesn't), but that there is no magic behind Apple products, and they should be viewed like any other company.

ETA: I manage to find the video I originally intended to post - it's a bit longer (24 minutes), but it summarizes a number of design flaws he's encountered in repairing Apple products over the years. As he runs a repair business, it's fair to say there's a certain amount of selectivity bias involved - people don't take properly running machines to him. But it also means that if he sees consistent issues in one area or another, it's most likely a design flaw and not just bad luck.
Last edited by Independent George on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
doob

Post by doob »

djeayzonne wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm Onsen (hot springs) resorts in Japan
+100 we are regular visitors to Kinosaki and stay at the Nishimuraya Honkan when we are there.
doob

Post by doob »

Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:02 pm Posted earlier, but forgot this:

Premium subscription to Expertflyer.com

If you are a semi-frequent flyer, seek out specific seats on airplanes, or try to use miles for seats, it is worth every penny.
Another solid post. Not only should you pick specific seats (remember not all seats in the same class are equal, staggered seating for example may have “throne seats”), but you can also select equipment (for example I like to travel on 78Xs or 35Xs not just because they are newer jets, but also because they fly at lower effective altitudes, which means the cabin air is more humid) and ensure other things like 1-2-1 seating (i.e., guaranteed aisle access), seat arrangements (if travelling with partner, seats may be joined and converted to double beds, etc)
skp

Post by skp »

Peets coffee and Mitchell's ice cream
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Independent George wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:04 am Thumbs up for referencing Louis Rossman - I've actually mentioned him in a couple threads from people who needed Apple repairs. As he says himself, the issue is not that Apple is uniquely bad - because they're really not. It's that when a Lenovo breaks, people will say Lenovo is terrible. When an Apple breaks, people are gaslit into believing they must have done something wrong themselves, and the community makes excuses for why their defective engineering was actually genius. The end result is that when you blame customers for a poor product, there is no accountability and quality inevitably goes down.

For those who are interested in more details, here's a short video about how a Macbook's fan profile doesn't turn on until the core temp reaches 81 C, thereby shortening CPU life. The average user doesn't care about that - all they experience is that the Apple computer is quieter than a Windows computer. In all probability, if all they're doing is browse the web, skype, office, and iTunes, chances are they're not going to stress the CPU to that point anyway. At the same time, enough people do run their computers that hot, and fry their CPUs, that they take their broken machines in to Rossman to fix when the Genius Bar quotes them something exorbitant.

Again, the point is not that this only happens with Apple (becuase it doesn't), but that there is no magic behind Apple products, and they should be viewed like any other company.
My Lenovo Thinkpad doing the average user non-stressing tasks, will sometimes ramp up its temperatures and crash.

I can open up the chassis and improve the thermal paste -- Lenovo makes it extremely easy to open and service -- but my Mac didn't require doing that at all.

Personal anecdote? Yes. But on aggregate, I bet you'll find the statistics support higher reliability rate.

Is there magic? No. But just the simple fact that it's typically a higher class of product with tighter systems design/integration, which naturally means fewer flaws and failure rate. There is a reason you cited Lenovo as example, rather than a Toshiba or Acer or Fujitsu or so on, as Lenovo targets Thinkpad towards business users, and thus is built to higher standard than, say, the Ideapad line.

So no magic, but just a higher likelihood of superior product.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Lots of great items.

My favorite mechanical pencil is the Pentel Twist-Ease 0.7mm. For me absolutely the best mechanical pencil I have used.

Ed
Orbuculum Nongata

Post by Orbuculum Nongata »

teniralc wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Luckywon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 pm Tumi luggage.
Also Osprey luggage and backpacks
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-s ... -guarantee
+1
Potential - distraction = performance.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am
oldfort wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 am
nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am What hype? They make decent premium stuff for a decent premium price.

Does Dell make cheaper laptops with the “same” specs? Yes. Does Ford make cheaper cars with the “same” specs as Honda? Yes. Do Honda’s have higher resale values than Ford? Yes. Does Ford make some best of breed vehicles that Honda can’t touch? Yes, pickups come to mind.
You've completely lost me with the car analogy.
Whatever. Macs have higher resale values than Dells. That’s all you need to know whether the market believes the price premium is worth it.
And Gucci handbags have higher resale value than Walmart handbags. If I'm to rely on the market, the market has decided Gucci is worth the price premium too.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

oldfort wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am
nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am What hype? They make decent premium stuff for a decent premium price.

Does Dell make cheaper laptops with the “same” specs? Yes. Does Ford make cheaper cars with the “same” specs as Honda? Yes. Do Honda’s have higher resale values than Ford? Yes. Does Ford make some best of breed vehicles that Honda can’t touch? Yes, pickups come to mind.
Whatever. Macs have higher resale values than Dells. That’s all you need to know whether the market believes the price premium is worth it.
And Gucci handbags have higher resale value than Walmart handbags. If I'm to rely on the market, the market has decided Gucci is worth the price premium too.
Other than cars, why would anyone care about resale values of consumer items? They’re bought to consume to zero worth.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am

Other than cars, why would anyone care about resale values of consumer items? They’re bought to consume to zero worth.
Pretty significant markets out there for watches, handbags and other luxury goods. There are a lot of enthusiasts who definitely care about resale value.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

For a small speaker it is great. Stream music to it. No need for an amplifier/receiver. I can turn it on via an app.

Sound is not nearly as good as a tower speaker. I am Obviously not an audiophile.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

doob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:18 am

If you are a semi-frequent flyer, seek out specific seats on airplanes, or try to use miles for seats, it is worth every penny.
Another solid post. Not only should you pick specific seats (remember not all seats in the same class are equal, staggered seating for example may have “throne seats”), but you can also select equipment (for example I like to travel on 78Xs or 35Xs not just because they are newer jets, but also because they fly at lower effective altitudes, which means the cabin air is more humid) and ensure other things like 1-2-1 seating (i.e., guaranteed aisle access), seat arrangements (if travelling with partner, seats may be joined and converted to double beds, etc)
I neglected to mention the real value of Expertflyer with respect to seat selection is that if your desired seat is already taken or blocked, you can set an alert if it opens up. I've been rewarded with that desired seat numerous times. Same is true for reward inventory. One can set an alert when award seats open up, and by magic, when they do you can a text and email.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Because lots of folks buy and sell old electronics. I buy 1 year old iPhones from Swappa. I also buy used camera lenses.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Cruise wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 am
doob wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:18 am

I neglected to mention the real value of Expertflyer with respect to seat selection is that if your desired seat is already taken or blocked, you can set an alert if it opens up. I've been rewarded with that desired seat numerous times. Same is true for reward inventory. One can set an alert when award seats open up, and by magic, when they do you can a text and email.
Woah...that IS nice.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Not true at all. Many luxury goods including Rolex/Patek watches, Hermes handbags, certain artwork are all items that have a high probability of appreciating in value over the years. So yes while one would have a much larger capital outlay for these goods, they will likely never go down in value as cheap, throwaway goods will.