Items that are worth the money for the quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SmileyFace

Re: Items that are worth the money for the quality

Post by SmileyFace »

ensign wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm A brick or stone house, or a combination thereof. Avoid wood or aluminum siding unless you love painting and writing checks for constant maintenance costs.
Or you can go with Vinyl - far cheaper than brick or stone; and no painting like wood. 20+ years maintenance free.
I agree brick/stone "look" far nicer.

What's worth quality for extra money: Cars (reliability - not luxury), Coffee, Food, Clothing, Shoes/Sneakers.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Ready3Retire wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm Thermapen thermometer. Great for grilling, baking, brewing beer, etc. Well worth the $90 or so.
Definitely! I learned the hard way that there is no comparison between a $10-$20 digital thermometer (e.g. Weber) vs. a Thermapen. It's worth every penny.
66Sally

Post by 66Sally »

Tilley hats - my husband has obtained two replacements with the lifetime guarantee. I haven't been quite as rough on mine.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Subscription to Wall Street Journal.........been getting it for 25+ years and enjoy it. :sharebeer
mslaw

Post by mslaw »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm Warm Winter Gloves (I use Hestra's)
Wool Socks (Darn Tough)
Waterproof Outerwear (Arc'teryx)
Work Boots (Timberland Pro anti-fatigue)
Mountain Bikes (Yeti)
Winter Tires (Blizzaks)
Good Mattress (figuring this out now...latex maybe...Sleep EZ, FoamsweetFoam, etc.)
Good Pillow (failing epically here)

Useful list, please update when decide on mattress and pillows
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

02nz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:10 pm
GreenLawn wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 pm
02nz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm
GreenLawn wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 pm
oldfort wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm

If you're a gamer, it's inarguable Windows has a lot more games available. For processing intensive tasks, Mac's are incredibly slow compared to an equivalent price point Windows machine. I personally find MAC's harder to use and less intuitive than Windows. I do realize to some people Apple is more a cult than a computer brand :D .
I love my LG Gram 17 inch laptop. That weighs 3 pounds. With a colorful sharp display. That I'm writing this on. I was on the Mac site and didn't see a 17 inch laptop. Can someone please send me a link, perhaps I overlooked it?
16 inches is the largest display you can get now in a MacBook. 4.3 lbs. $2400+.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/
Thanks for the link. MacBook Air in 17 inch is what I'd like to see. Light enough to kick back in bed and surf the internet with, sharp colorful display, and a gloriously large 17 inch display. Right now the 3 lb LG Gram 17 inch ($1300 on sale at Costco when I bought it) is in a class by itself. It's funny to read the online reviews as they have nothing to compare it to, so they resort to 15 inch laptops, which aren't even close.
Ironically, while Apple basically created (or at least popularized) the category of thin-and-light laptops with the MacBook Air a decade ago (remember the manila envelope the first Air was pulled out of?), they stood still for a long time in design, and Windows PCs have overtaken Apple in innovation, including in portability. The MacBook Air weighs 2.8 lbs, same as 13-inch Windows laptops with 360-degree hinges and touchscreens (both of which add weight). The lightest PCs like the new ThinkPad X1 Nano are almost a pound lighter.
That could be because they severely limit the number of models they offer at any one time. Not sure why they do that. I'd like to see MacBook Airs in 13, 15 and 17 at a minimum. Heck, with the creative geniuses at Apple, why not shoot for an 18 inch :D I love large laptop screens, just don't like the weight that goes with them.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 am
ensign wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm A brick or stone house, or a combination thereof. Avoid wood or aluminum siding unless you love painting and writing checks for constant maintenance costs.
Or you can go with Vinyl - far cheaper than brick or stone; and no painting like wood. 20+ years maintenance free.
I agree brick/stone "look" far nicer.

What's worth quality for extra money: Cars (reliability - not luxury), Coffee, Food, Clothing, Shoes/Sneakers.
Vinyl fades badly.

I've had to steal pieces off the back of a rental home to replace pieces on the front that had been damaged so the color would match.

What puzzles me are those who build two-story homes with brick on 3 sides and vinyl in the back.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

fishandgolf wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am Subscription to Wall Street Journal.........been getting it for 25+ years and enjoy it. :sharebeer
Absolutely! Constant battle to keep the price down as they want to keep raising it. I don't read the editorial section since Murdoch bought them, but the other sections of the paper are outstanding and in a class by themselves. Their previous editorial pages had a really interesting mix of greed and compassion in the same publication that I've seen nowhere else since then.
Feb29

Post by Feb29 »

A back pack that fails twice is not “quality”
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

ncbill wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:39 am What puzzles me are those who build two-story homes with brick on 3 sides and vinyl in the back.
Almost like they are trying to fool people that they are wealthier than they are but I understand many want as much sq ft for as little as possible. Around here it’s more common just to have brick/stone on the front and 3 sides vinyl siding not just the back. I can’t help but think of the relatively small cost savings considering all the silly depreciating crap people spend money on. This all being said our first 2 homes were like those above and yes we wasted lots of money on dumb crap. Although we did not have them built that way.
keystone

Post by keystone »

Carguy85 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:34 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 am Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
+1 Interesting that they don’t really cost any more than “comparable” vehicles.
I'm not sure about every model, but I know that when I was shopping for our Highlander, it was a few grand more than the equivalent Hyundai or Kia. It was well worth the difference to me and perhaps in the long run it doesn't actually cost more. And there's certainly a premium to be paid for Toyotas in the secondary market, but yeah maybe it's not actually a true cost when you factor in quality and resale value.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Excellent choice on the highlander....btw we went to go test drive a brand new Kia SUV some years back... failed to start on the lot!!! We felt bad for the car salesman but were in somewhat of a hurry and had to leave while he was fumbling around....not been back on a Kia lot since. Price wise I was comparing Toyota more-so to the big 3.
Last edited by Carguy85 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 pm Panasonic plasma TVs (no longer sold)
My folks purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma ~10-15 years ago. Still the best picture quality of any tv I have ever watched a game on. The images and colors are extremely bright and vivid.
They want to replace it with something bigger but haven't been able to find anything in the stores that can replicate the same quality of picture.

I understand plasmas are power-hogs compared to more modern tvs but if I had the option to select an older plasma vs a newer LCD, I'd easily pick the plasma.
30west

Post by 30west »

Normchad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm DarnTough socks. Guaranteed for life! I will never pay for socks again as long as I live!
Thanks for that. I will try these. My Costco winter socks are cheap but dont last one season.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am What hype? They make decent premium stuff for a decent premium price.

Does Dell make cheaper laptops with the “same” specs? Yes. Does Ford make cheaper cars with the “same” specs as Honda? Yes. Do Honda’s have higher resale values than Ford? Yes. Does Ford make some best of breed vehicles that Honda can’t touch? Yes, pickups come to mind.
You've completely lost me with the car analogy.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Mr.BB wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:24 am Toyota cars/trucks
MacBook Pro
iPhone
Sketchers Shoes
Pelikan Fountain Pens
Yamaha ATV/UTV's
Tokaido "Gi's" from Japan
John Deere
Kona Coffee Peaberry Beans shipped straight from the Kona Plantations.
Quality Camera Gear

j :D
Kona Coffee Peaberry Beans shipped straight from the Kona Plantations.
+1 :sharebeer
+2

To this I would add Kona Peaberry 3 Stone. I haven’t had it in a while, but it was amazing. They were a small company with no website. We had to call to order it.

Also:
Home gym (eg, squat rack with quality O-bar and bumper plates — pays off big time in the long run)
Avocado Green mattress with topper
Jura super automatic espresso maker (we have an E8)
Pirelli and Michelin tires (Blizzaks for winter)
The Economist
The Financial Times
Kindle Oasis
VertX cargos and polos (for work - better than 5.11)
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

SwampDonkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am

My folks purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma ~10-15 years ago. Still the best picture quality of any tv I have ever watched a game on. The images and colors are extremely bright and vivid.
They want to replace it with something bigger but haven't been able to find anything in the stores that can replicate the same quality of picture.

I understand plasmas are power-hogs compared to more modern tvs but if I had the option to select an older plasma vs a newer LCD, I'd easily pick the plasma.
we really like that Viera line as well but theyve gone the way of the dodo
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

Let's not forget an issue of next year's Wall Street Journal :D
...Thank you Peter Lynch....
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

SwampDonkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am I understand plasmas are power-hogs compared to more modern tvs but if I had the option to select an older plasma vs a newer LCD, I'd easily pick the plasma.
You’re right. I just checked the power consumption rating of my model TC-P50U2 50” Panasonic Viera plasma TV manufactured in September 2010. It’s 353 watts.

Then I looked up the specs on the currently offered Samsung QE55Q90T (54.6” QLED) and it’s 153 watts, a full 200 watts less. But I also prefer the plasma for picture quality. I think the earlier plasmas were more power hungry.

106 watts for the LG 54.6” OLED.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

wander wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 am Education is worth the money for me.
With the internet virtually all education can be free to a motivated individual.

Credentialing is expensive though.
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

SwampDonkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am
Nicolas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 pm Panasonic plasma TVs (no longer sold)
I loved my plasma TVs also, but with respect, a 2020 77” LG will blow it away. 4K, HDR, etc.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

GreenLawn wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:40 am
fishandgolf wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am Subscription to Wall Street Journal.........been getting it for 25+ years and enjoy it. :sharebeer
Absolutely! Constant battle to keep the price down as they want to keep raising it. I don't read the editorial section since Murdoch bought them, but the other sections of the paper are outstanding and in a class by themselves. Their previous editorial pages had a really interesting mix of greed and compassion in the same publication that I've seen nowhere else since then.
Agree. However it was a different and better paper when owned by the Bancroft family. I still read and enjoy the editorial and Op Ed pages.

I read the WSJ daily, balanced with the NYT, another world class item worth the money. Both give you access to the best in journalism. And both have daily crosswords and other puzzles.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 am Excellent choice on the highlander....btw we went to go test drive a brand new Kia SUV some years back... failed to start on the lot!!! We felt bad for the car salesman but were in somewhat of a hurry and had to leave while he was fumbling around....not been back on a Kia lot since. Price wise I was comparing Toyota more-so to the big 3.
They’ve gotten a lot better...
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

oldfort wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 am
nigel_ht wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am What hype? They make decent premium stuff for a decent premium price.

Does Dell make cheaper laptops with the “same” specs? Yes. Does Ford make cheaper cars with the “same” specs as Honda? Yes. Do Honda’s have higher resale values than Ford? Yes. Does Ford make some best of breed vehicles that Honda can’t touch? Yes, pickups come to mind.
You've completely lost me with the car analogy.
Whatever. Macs have higher resale values than Dells. That’s all you need to know whether the market believes the price premium is worth it.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:09 am Our 7+ year desk top Mac still works fine....I’m nearly computer illiterate but has been my experience that all previous computers (Non-Mac) we had lasted a few years max. We no longer have much use for desktops anyhow. Our iphones are much more convenient.
That brings to mind an item I will spend the money on:

A dedicated PC.

A mobile phone really doesn't cut it for me. It's more convenient in the sense that it is easy to keep close at hand, but I find the reduced effectiveness of a touch screen interface compared to a keyboard, mouse, and monitor large enough to display documents at a comfortable size means I will almost always go to my PC for extended reading or for anything more than very short messages.

This is obviously an individual preference, although conceding that computing choices are driven by individual preferences seems to go against the established precedence for this thread.

I will repeat, however, that the reliability of Windows PC's is unfairly judged by the cheap systems. A Windows machine in a similar price ballpark can generally be expected to have similar quality and as good or better components. If Apple built $300-400 computers, there would be a high rate of those with issues, too, but Apple elected to focus on the higher end of the market.

I replaced my previous Windows PC at 8 years in good working order, because although it was fine for general office tasks, I wanted higher performance for newer games. My current desktop is 6 years old, and easily has several more years of utility ahead of it.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

kerfuffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm I read through all of this nodding my head along with most things (Toyota! Good knives! Etc) and kept waiting for someone to say: good sheets. Maybe I’m just one of those weirdos who is obsessed (true) but a glorious set of good sheets lasts basically forever and makes slipping into bed after a long day that much more comforting. Restoration Hardware, Peacock Alley.

Also, a good showerhead.

So, I guess I lean toward quality that lasts - and improves quality of life.

I don’t have space in my life for generic Q-tips (a mistake I will never make again!)
Can you recommend a good showerhead?
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am
SwampDonkey wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:36 am I understand plasmas are power-hogs compared to more modern tvs but if I had the option to select an older plasma vs a newer LCD, I'd easily pick the plasma.
You’re right. I just checked the power consumption rating of my model TC-P50U2 50” Panasonic Viera plasma TV manufactured in September 2010. It’s 353 watts.

Then I looked up the specs on the currently offered Samsung QE55Q90T (54.6” QLED) and it’s 153 watts, a full 200 watts less. But I also prefer the plasma for picture quality. I think the earlier plasmas were more power hungry.

Plasma got reasonably efficient by their last few years. I bought a Samsung roughly a year before they stopped making plasma's in favor of OLED's, one model down from their top-of-the-line. The review and measurement sites rated it just barely below the Panasonics. The Energy Star rating on my 50" screen is 112 Watts, and my Kill-a-Watt measurements have been slightly lower than that.

If I were to replace it, I wouldn't have much concern about going with an OLED screen, but there's no urgency. I already got around Samsung's poor streaming integration by spending $35 on a Roku.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

I don't want to divert the topic any further than it already has, but the big difference between Apple and PC isn't the hardware, but the OS. The fundamental issue with Windows is that because there's a near infinite number of hardware configurations, it has to constantly check for and update drivers to support them while maintaining backwards compatibility (and those instances where it inevitably fails leads to a lot of frustration). Apple has a limited number of fixed hardware configurations, which lets the OS run a lot leaner and smoother.

In terms of hardware, Apple actually has some genuinely terrible engineering (such as putting a cpu fan nowhere near the CPU so that it thermal throttles under load while simultaneously revving the fans up to max). But if most users don't run their CPUs that hot, while they do notice how sleek and thin the computer is, who cares? A hardware nerd will notice that they've massively overpaid for hardware they don't need (and can't use in the first place due to the thermal issues), but the average light user only notices that they've gotten a super-slim laptop without the hassles of a Windows machine. Do Apple users care that their SSDs are soldered in and can't be upgraded? No, because they would never in a million years open up their Macbook to replace the drive in the first place, so the extra 1.5mm it saves in case thickness is a good tradeoff.

To give another example, the very first thing I will do with a new laptop is create a boot disk, format the hard drive, and perform a fresh install of Windows without all the OEM bloatware. The fact that this is even necessary tells you everything you need to know about the Windows experience. The fact that I still do it tells you everything you need to know about the Apple experience. Incidentally, this is also why I'm not as negative about financial advisors as BHs - not everyone is a DIYer, nor should they be.

So, basically, I find myself agreeing with both of the seemingly contradictory statements that (1) Apple products are overpriced and overhyped, and (2) they are 100% worth the money. That's because the hardware is only overpriced to the people who would even notice the hardware in the first place; for everyone else, the user experience is good enough to justify the cost regardless of Apple's profit margin.

I think the market has segmented properly, and it's a waste of time to try and convert other people to your particular religion.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

newguy123 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm I personally don’t mind paying more for things if the quality is good and lasts a lifetime or has a lifetime guarantee. An example of this is north face jackets or sweaters or backpacks. I have had 2 north face back packs fail on me and both were taken by the north face store and a new backpack sent back. What other brands do you not mind paying more for and are good quality and backed by an unbeatable warranty ?
Personally, if I had two separate backpacks from a brand fail, I would never, ever want that brand again. I couldn't care less about a warranty...I want a product that doesn't need a warranty.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Worth it
Mora Knives specifically their 120 carving knife
Gransford brukes axes
First ascent gear by Eddie Bauer
concept model 2 rower :)
Last edited by forgeblast on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkc

Post by mkc »

forgeblast wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:34 pm concept model 2 mower
I know this is just a typo, but I can just picture some kind of manual "row to mow" zero-turn setup :wink:
squirm

Post by squirm »

Same here. I like print, no bouncing and animated ads that are at best annoying and make reading things online impossible.
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

2tall4economy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:59 am Surprisingly (or maybe not) a lot of people already highlighted quite a few things I find the value in regardless of the price tag. But to add my votes for stuff that is high quality and I generally haven’t had to replace and / or are so good I happily pay a premium:

Hoka one one shoes
Darn tough socks
Saddleback leather briefcase
Red oxx and Briggs and Riley travel gear
Apple earbuds (whatever they’re called)
Sonos speakers
Milwaukee m18 cordless tools
Cars made by Ferrari after 2000
Custom Tailored suits & shirts
A good mattress
A home dumbbell set and bench
Weber grills
Sig sauer handguns
Knights armament rifles
Pelican hard cases
Areon chair
Ethan Allen desk
Pottery barn couches
Opus one wine
Heat and air conditioning

That’s about it (and a lot I suppose!). Everything else I cheap out as much as possible.
Damn solid list right there.

I would tack on...
PWS Rifles
Benchmade Knives
Clearlight infrared sauna
Concept 2 rower
Origin Gi's
Rolex watch
GoRuck backpack
Staub cookware
Memphis grill
Thermapen
Lowa boots
Chaco and Olukai sandals
Bose nightstand radio (29 years and running)
Ipad
Rogue weights and kettlebells
Trek Roscoe
Kuhl Radikl pants
Cariloha bamboo t-shirts
Snake River Farms beef (on sale at Albertsons)
Costco Prime steaks
Maui Jim sunglasses
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
kerfuffle

Post by kerfuffle »

bikechuck wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am
kerfuffle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm I read through all of this nodding my head along with most things (Toyota! Good knives! Etc) and kept waiting for someone to say: good sheets. Maybe I’m just one of those weirdos who is obsessed (true) but a glorious set of good sheets lasts basically forever and makes slipping into bed after a long day that much more comforting. Restoration Hardware, Peacock Alley.

Also, a good showerhead.

I don’t have space in my life for generic Q-tips (a mistake I will never make again!)
I've been happy with Hansgrohe. Diameter of 9" or greater.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bronko wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:05 pm Origin Gi's
Had never heard of them so I looked: $150-$400, for a gi :shock: ? My kids are going on 3yrs, classes 2-5x a week, with no-name $20 gi's from Amazon. No rips or tears so far.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Items worth the money for quality:

1. Home with a View: Nothing like seeing the sunset over the ocean every evening. Once experienced, it really limits future housing options.

2. Luxury Cruise Lines: I want to get away on a vacation, so a smaller ship allows me to do that compared to mass market cruising.

3. 5-Star Luxury Hotels: Many have such great levels of service (concierge, room service, housekeeping) and hard product. Even if we are not in the room most of the day, the experience is worth it when we return. And, most don't have massive lobbies crowded with boatloads of tourists.

4. Personal Guides: So many great experiences with hiring guides to bring us to amazing places and speak the local language for us. And, in some places, they will steer you away from danger before it presents itself.

5. Streaming Content on TV: Just started this post-COVID, and it really has created such value to my decompression time.

6. Quality Wine: Danger--once you try it, you will be hooked for life.

7. Leather seating: In cars and living rooms.
TechCash

Post by TechCash »

mslaw wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:22 am
TallBoy29er wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 pm Warm Winter Gloves (I use Hestra's)
Wool Socks (Darn Tough)
Waterproof Outerwear (Arc'teryx)
Work Boots (Timberland Pro anti-fatigue)
Mountain Bikes (Yeti)
Winter Tires (Blizzaks)
Good Mattress (figuring this out now...latex maybe...Sleep EZ, FoamsweetFoam, etc.)
Good Pillow (failing epically here)

Useful list, please update when decide on mattress and pillows
https://www.brooklinen.com/collections/pillows

Their sheets are top notch as well.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

My 2011 50" Panasonic plasma uses ~180 watts operating...located in the basement man-cave so it's not cranked up to maximum brightness.
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

bikechuck wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:59 am

Also, a good showerhead.

Speakman
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:16 pm
Had never heard of them so I looked: $150-$400, for a gi :shock: ? My kids are going on 3yrs, classes 2-5x a week, with no-name $20 gi's from Amazon. No rips or tears so far.
My kid grows to fast for Origin so He's in a Fuji. I use it 5 times a week and no gi has ever fit the way these do. The spiral cut design is great. Origin is a movement to bring manufacturing back 100% to USA made. From the cotton, dyes, sewing and more. Poke around and look at the youtube channel. Good stuff. Also it's a big difference between BJJ and karate gi's.

I was answering the "Items that are worth the money for the quality" part.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ncbill wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm

My 2011 50" Panasonic plasma uses ~180 watts operating...located in the basement man-cave so it's not cranked up to maximum brightness.
Did you measure yours? I didn’t, I just read it off the label on the back.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm Items worth the money for quality:

1. Home with a View: Nothing like seeing the sunset over the ocean every evening. Once experienced, it really limits future housing options.

2. Luxury Cruise Lines: I want to get away on a vacation, so a smaller ship allows me to do that compared to mass market cruising.

3. 5-Star Luxury Hotels: Many have such great levels of service (concierge, room service, housekeeping) and hard product. Even if we are not in the room most of the day, the experience is worth it when we return. And, most don't have massive lobbies crowded with boatloads of tourists.

4. Personal Guides: So many great experiences with hiring guides to bring us to amazing places and speak the local language for us. And, in some places, they will steer you away from danger before it presents itself.

5. Streaming Content on TV: Just started this post-COVID, and it really has created such value to my decompression time.

1. A nice view is a wonderful thing.

3. A good sized room in a luxury hotel is definitely enjoyable. Random example, from our last trip: 70m2 in the Aman Tokyo with a view of the Imperial Palace and Gardens, with Mt Fuji in the distance, plus an excellent restaurant, was really lovely.

4. I wish I knew how to find a great guide. Any suggestions?

6. Another identification problem. Our experience is close to the numerous double blind studies of wine tasting.

For travel, I'd add that Uber or the like is a major advantage compared to mass transit (unless transit is faster and not crowded - business class on high speed trains, for example).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bronko wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:16 pm
My kid grows to fast for Origin so He's in a Fuji. I use it 5 times a week and no gi has ever fit the way these do. The spiral cut design is great. Origin is a movement to bring manufacturing back 100% to USA made. From the cotton, dyes, sewing and more. Poke around and look at the youtube channel. Good stuff. Also it's a big difference between BJJ and karate gi's.

I was answering the "Items that are worth the money for the quality" part.
FWIW, my kids train/compete in BJJ.
urodoc1

Post by urodoc1 »

TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:08 am
My kingdom for a great pillow - firm core, soft comfy but supportive outer material. Wish I could find one.
I bought a Coop shredded memory foam pillow a few years ago. Now my wife has one, and my parents just got them too after using them at our place. Not sure if they'll be exactly what you're looking for, but worth checking out at least
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 pm
ncbill wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm My 2011 50" Panasonic plasma uses ~180 watts operating...located in the basement man-cave so it's not cranked up to maximum brightness.
Did you measure yours? I didn’t, I just read it off the label on the back.
The number on the back on the label from UL or another certified testing lab should be peak power consumption, not average. Knowing the peak helps ensure you don't plug too many things into one circuit. The Energy Star label is closer to the average power consumption. You can usually find this label on the manufacturer website if you no longer have it.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Items worth the initial capital outlay:

Tumi luggage
Apple iPhones/Macbooks
Arc'teyrx Jackets
Maui Jim Sunglasses
Victorinox Swiss Army Knives
John Deere Lawn Tractors (not the big box store kind either)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Cruise wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:17 pm Items worth the money for quality:

1. A nice view is a wonderful thing.

3. A good sized room in a luxury hotel is definitely enjoyable. Random example, from our last trip: 70m2 in the Aman Tokyo with a view of the Imperial Palace and Gardens, with Mt Fuji in the distance, plus an excellent restaurant, was really lovely.

4. I wish I knew how to find a great guide. Any suggestions?

6. Another identification problem. Our experience is close to the numerous double blind studies of wine tasting.

For travel, I'd add that Uber or the like is a major advantage compared to mass transit (unless transit is faster and not crowded - business class on high speed trains, for example).
3. Try the Palace Hotel next time, along with a room category that provides for the executive lounge. Love the concierge and staff at this hotel.

4. I've used guides suggested by concierges, and in the past, Trip Advisor reviews. The last guide I used I met on a ship's excursion. Knew we were going to be coming back for a longer vacation, so got her card. She was delightful and was the best prepared guide ever.

6. Label prestige can influence taste buds, for sure. But it is hard/impossible for cheap wines to achieve the complexity and body found in very expensive wines. (as an aside, I had a relative switch Two Buck Chuck with an expensive wine and vice-versa. Everyone who sipped from the expensive bottle holding Chuck raved over it. I also held a blind champagne tasting of 10 brands/price points. A mid-range variety far out-performed far more expensive bottles).

Business Class on trains: Another Vote from me. Crowd reduction = Serenity. Once had to spend 5.5 hours on a train that was "stuck" in the middle of nowhere. Glad we were in the Business Class cabin!
djeayzonne

Post by djeayzonne »

Louis Vuitton wallet - still looks virtually brand new after 15 years so far
Ducky keyboard
Focal speakers/headphones with the beryllium tweeters
AG pants and shorts
Technivorm Moccamaster
Niche coffee grinder
Onsen (hot springs) resorts in Japan
Rice imported from Japan
Quality shocchu (Japanese vodka)
Professional coaching - Barbell Medicine for me
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Posted earlier, but forgot this:

Premium subscription to Expertflyer.com

If you are a semi-frequent flyer, seek out specific seats on airplanes, or try to use miles for seats, it is worth every penny.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

For me:

All-Clad pots and pans, they last forever and they heat up very evenly. Does a really great job cooking meat.

Apple IPhone and IPad. I love how easy they are to use. Although I did have one IPhone that the screen started separating from the unit.

Falcon Northwest Gaming PC. Super fast, quiet and super reliable!

Zojirushi rice cooker. So easy to use and the rice is perfect every time.

Quality furniture- Hancock and Moore, Century, Ethen Allen, etc. The furniture I purchased still looks great and is solid.

Wusthof Classic Ikon knives.

High End Audio Equipment- If you are really into listening to music there is nothing like a quality audio system. Like someone earlier in this thread said it is almost like listening to music again for the first time. You hear things you never heard before in a music track. Of course you need lossless audio tracks to get the most out of it as MP3's sound terrible.

Oolong tea

As far as the Mac vs PC debate. I have owned many models of Mac and PC, never had either actually break and need repair. I just ended up replacing then when they became too old and slow. Laptops and Desktops from the higher end boutique manufacturers are very high quality. I have owned Falcon Northwest, Origin and Digital Storm and all had very high build quality. I used to repair Mac's many years ago and recently did a repair on my sisters 2017 Mac Book Pro. It required me to open it up and re-solder the power connector, I must say the quality of the components inside has gone down over the last 8 years or so. The have a mixture of quality and cheap parts along with really poor soldering on the main board. Still better quality than an inexpensive generic windows laptop but not like it was before. Profits before quality.

If you want to see some of the quality issues with Mac Books and laptops in general go on Youtube and look up Louis Rossmann. He repairs computers for a living and can show you all the issues and how the quality has gone down in the last decade or so. It was better when Jobs was still alive. Forgot to mention I do like Apple OS better than Windows, but as I like to game I mainly use my Windows gaming PC and my Mac Book Pro for everything else.
Last edited by sasquatch12 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.