Verizon Fios internet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
afr

Verizon Fios internet

Post by afr »

So I'm dropping cable TV and going to internet only with Verizon. Going to use Hulu live. We do have a Verizon land-line phone(for security system) and wanted to know if I could stop renting the G1100 router for $12/mo. and use my Arris SURFboard SB6183 instead. Anyone know if its possible?
retire2022

Re: Verizon Fios internet

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Verizon FIOs provide their own Wifi router and box with battery back up from fiber to router.

I had service since 2006.
leviathan

Post by leviathan »

retire2022 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:00 pm Op

Verizon FIOs provide their own Wifi router and box with battery back up from fiber to router.

I had service since 2006.
I am using my own wifi router with fios. I don't think that cable modem will work with fios. You don't need "modem" for fios.
9liner

Post by 9liner »

https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to- ... izon-fios/

I haven’t rented a FiOS router in over 10 years.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

9liner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to- ... izon-fios/

Chances are that you are currently using a coaxial cable from your FiOS box outside, which then runs inside and hooks up to your Verizon router.

You need to call Verizon FiOS to get them to enable ONT. Then you can plug-in an Ethernet cable into the FiOS box outside and plug it into the router of your choice.

I think a tech can also come to your house and help you with that if needed.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
9liner

Post by 9liner »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 pm
9liner wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:44 pm https://www.techlicious.com/tip/how-to- ... izon-fios/

Chances are that you are currently using a coaxial cable from your FiOS box outside, which then runs inside and hooks up to your Verizon router.

You need to call Verizon FiOS to get them to enable ONT. Then you can plug-in an Ethernet cable into the FiOS box outside and plug it into the router of your choice.

Did you click on the link? It’s instructions for how to do exactly what you wrote above. The point I was trying to convey was that there’s no need to pay their rental fees.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

I already have the ONT box in my basement that Verizon installed. My current Fios G1100 router is connected via coax cable and ethernet to the ONT box. If I'm also keeping my landline phone will that be affected?
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

I went from the FIOS triple play (phone, internet and cable) to internet only. Prior to this I had disabled the wifi function on the FIOS modem/router and hooked up my own wifi router to the modem to get better performance. When I changed to just internet, I had to send back the cable boxes, dvr, etc. but they didn't ask for the verizon modem/router. Now I am only charged for the internet service, 54.99 for 75 Mbps, with no additional fees, taxes or rental charges. Not sure if I just got lucky or if that's just how it works.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I've researched this and implemented what I think you want.

For the asking, Verizon will change your connection from the coaxial cable connection to ethernet. Then you connect an ethernet cable (CAT 6, or now some recommend CAT 7) to the ethernet port of the ONT (optical network terminal, usually in the basement) and plug into your wifi router.

I upgraded to Verizon's gigabit service, which has a flat fee with or without their router. So, I don't save rent on the router.

Advanced tip: you can use your house's coaxial cable to sent internet to old TV wall coaxial connections, using MoCA converters. I did this and it's super fast, although some people say there's a speed drop, which I haven't noticed, but I have gigabit service. So, if you think you might use this approach, don't let the installer mess with any of your coaxial cables, especially the one that previously connected to your ONT and router. Just ask them to leave them alone.

Advanced tip 2: when the power goes out, and you connect to a generator or a neighbor's power if they have it, to get internet you have to supply AC power to both your router and your ONT. Extension cords all over!
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I was going to cut the cable a year ago and do as you proposed with Hulu live. The thing that stopped me was the disappointing quality of streaming audio. I do not understand why this is so. Its a digital connection, but it just didn't measure up to sound quality of regular cable. I tried every service - Hulu, Youtube, Sling, and found it to be true of all of them. My significant other confirmed it was not just my imagination. There is a noticeable difference.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

But what about digital voice thru my Verizon landline that I wish to keep? Doesn't that require a Fios router?
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

FIOS customers can see the (digital on fiber) phone connections on the side of their Optical Network Terminal (ONT.) Those two copper wires replace the original "copper dial tone" wires that probably still come to your house from the pole, but are now abandoned at the side of the house. FIOS digital voice does not involve the router, the "second" box on your basement or side wall.

FIOS ONTs, both old and new, have both RJ45 and coax outputs. The coax is still used if you get FIOS television. But if you only have internet, you can ask Verizon to (remotely, no premises visit) switch on the RJ45 outlet. It's "off" by default. And you cannot get more than 75 or 100 MPS over coax. You must use RJ45 for higher speeds.

I use an RT-AC68U AC-1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router. It's capable, but cheaper than the best new routers. I think you can use almost any router. But you have to decide what you want. Guest Wifi network? Firewall? 5G WiFi? Beam-forming? I wanted removable antennas, because I have wifi antennas on both floors of the house already. That's becoming a rare feature, and not wanted or needed by most. Very, very few modern routers , other than Verizon's, have coax inputs.

Read the link you were given. This job does require modest network skills.

Edit: Because a landline for security systems was mentioned, I thought I should point out that Verizon and other telephone companies have shown strong interest in getting out of the copper dial-tone (traditional landline) business. In my state (NJ), after recent hurricanes, Verizon attempted to substitute cell service hubs for destroyed landlines in coastal area. The same thing has happened in New York City. But it's much more economical to run fiber to a sixteen-story apartment building to provide digital phone lines to every occupant, without their asking for it.

If you have copper dial-tone, you may want to find out if your security service (or healthcare alarm, or other product ... ) is making plans to work over Voice Over Internet phone service. We were certainly pressured to switch to Verizon Digital Voice when we got FIOS. We eventually accepted it, and I will say that their anti-telemarketing partner's service works extremely well. We liked the features offered only with digital voice. But I am sorry to accelerate their plans to abandon copper wiring.
Last edited by crefwatch on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
finite_difference

9liner wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:14 am
finite_difference wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Did you click on the link? It’s instructions for how to do exactly what you wrote above. The point I was trying to convey was that there’s no need to pay their rental fees.
Yes, sorry, I meant to summarize that article from my own point of view. I was not talking to “you” specifically, but more the general “you”.

Verizon is a little bit archaic in some ways. It took a while to get through to the phone support to have them remotely perform the ONT procedure. They seemed confused about how it worked. In the end, they had to issue some remote commands, and before they could do that their system needed them to mail me an Ethernet cable, even though I didn’t need it.

One bonus thing about not using the Verizon router is that they can’t as easily spy on your home network? I was a little bit creeped out to have a sales person recommend a faster connection based on checking the number of connected devices to their router.
finite_difference

afr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:27 am But what about digital voice thru my Verizon landline that I wish to keep? Doesn't that require a Fios router?
I think crefwatch answered your question.

How much do you pay for your landline? I would recommend comparing the price to Ooma, Vonage, Straight Talk, etc.
life2.0

Post by life2.0 »

Be advised, a lot of the routers that Verizon offers have compatibility issues with Google products (Chromecast, Nest, Smarthub, etc.). So, if you're planning on setting up a smart home using google devices, you may want to do some research on which router Verizon offers in your area, or just purchase your own.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

So we've been using Verizon Fios for internet(200Mbps@$39.99/mo.)and landline phone($20/mo.) and Hulu Live w/o ads($65/mo incl. tax). All told about $125/mo. Works great. Previously spending $245/mo. Our mobile phone plan(4 phones) is w/ATT and costs $170/mo.incl. taxes/fees. Don't know if I can do much better than that though.
Last edited by afr on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Hulu live just dropped fox regional sports networks.
If sports are important, most streaming services do not have your local teams. ESPN and other national sports networks are available, but mostly not local teams. So if this is important, either check out att now or keep fios tv/cable tv.

For phone I avoid all monthly fees. Bought a VOIP device and got a google voice number. Lots of threads discuss the various hardware choice. Mine is

https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice
beyou

Post by beyou »

Hulu live just dropped fox regional sports networks.
If sports are important, most streaming services do not have your local teams. ESPN and other national sports networks are available, but mostly not local teams. So if this is important, either check out att now or keep fios tv/cable tv.

For phone I avoid all monthly fees. Bought a VOIP device and got a google voice number. Lots of threads discuss the various hardware choice. Mine is

https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

I live outside Philly so pro sports are kinda irrelavant and unwatchable. Mainly watch college football/basketball. And we need a landline phone for our home security system.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

afr wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:27 am But what about digital voice thru my Verizon landline that I wish to keep? Doesn't that require a Fios router?
I’m a bit confused by your description. Do you have a traditional landline that runs over copper wire to your house or a digital voice line where the phone line plugs into the router?

The difference is critical to answering your questions. Also, if digital voice line, there are implications for the security system.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

Traditional landline
finite_difference

afr wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:53 am So we've been using Verizon Fios for internet(200Mbps@$39.99/mo.)and landline phone($20/mo.) and Hulu Live w/o ads($65/mo incl. tax). All told about $125/mo. Works great. Previously spending $245/mo. Our mobile phone plan(4 phones) is w/ATT and costs $170/mo.incl. taxes/fees. Don't know if I can do much better than that though.
That’s great!

You can drop the landline and save $240/yr.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

finite_difference wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 am
afr wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:53 am So we've been using Verizon Fios for internet(200Mbps@$39.99/mo.)and landline phone($20/mo.) and Hulu Live w/o ads($65/mo incl. tax). All told about $125/mo. Works great. Previously spending $245/mo. Our mobile phone plan(4 phones) is w/ATT and costs $170/mo.incl. taxes/fees. Don't know if I can do much better than that though.
That’s great!

We need it for our home security system($30/mo) and increases in cost if we go wireless. And my wife is uncomfortable relying solely on cellphone service.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I moved to VOIP and easily got it connected to my alarm system. Tested and works fine.

If you have a old copper telco line, nothing would beat that since it’s powered. But if you have anything else (from cable or fios) not sure the power is a factor.

911 calls require some service if you care, I don’t. Can call 911 on my mobile phone. My alarms system dials via voip and as a backup uses cell tower antenna. Had that backup years ago even when I had a telco copper landline.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

afr wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 am
That’s great!

We need it for our home security system($30/mo) and increases in cost if we go wireless. And my wife is uncomfortable relying solely on cellphone service.
Landline can be easily severed outside the house. Tools can be found at any hardware store and no technical experience required.
finite_difference

That’s great!

A fake sign and a few cameras would let you avoid this cost as well. A safe neighborhood, with good doors, locks, and a secured room inside with cell phone and personal protection, and you can save $50/month.

Maybe get a dog, Then again, buying a dog if you don’t have one is going to cost more than $50/month! If it makes you feel safe, I’d argue $50/month is worth it.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

Depending on your phone use - Cricket (owned by att) has 4 lines/$100 - or even ATT prepaid could save a buck or two.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

seawolf21 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:14 pm
That’s great!

Landline can be easily severed outside the house. Tools can be found at any hardware store and no technical experience required.
If the landline is severed our security company receives immediate notification, plus we have backup battery. Couldn't the same be said for severing outside internet cable if you go wireless? Or does that go thru cellphone?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

afr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am
seawolf21 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:14 pm
That’s great!

If the landline is severed our security company receives immediate notification, plus we have backup battery. Couldn't the same be said for severing outside internet cable if you go wireless? Or does that go thru cellphone?
Some alarms have cellular backup. Ring.com as an example will go on cellular if internet is down (you'll get an email internet is down) and their monitoring (incudes cellular backup) is only $100/year. Jamming cell signal would require dedicated equipment (unlawful to operate) which you don't just get your hands on easily when compared to a pair of snips.