Looking for online FAX service recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author

Looking for online FAX service recommendations

Post by 400401402 »

I need to FAX some documents to IRS; so looking for online FAX service recommendations. This may not be a one time thing (in which case I would just to the nearest Staples), there may be a need to send more Faxes over the next month or two. Besides, I am not a fan of Faxing documents with confidential data such as SSN from a Staples
I understand from basic research that most of them are online now (no need of FAX machine) and charge by the month (with a cap on pages that can be sent per month).
My plan is to keep the service on for couple of months until my need is no more there and cancel the subscription.

So my requirements are:
1. No annual contract - pay as you go monthly subscription
2. Secure service

I see multiple competing services like Fax.Plus, eFAX etc from google search, but I will trust fellow Bogleheads' recommendations on this more than any one. So appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you
F150HD

Re: Looking for online FAX service recommendations

Post by F150HD »

I too am curious. Some free ones out there, but they are not secure for sensitive info.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y ... UTF8&psc=1

OP,

If you have a phone line and a Windows PC, you can get a USB Fax modem for less than $20. Then, you can fax the document directly.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

Windows 10 has a program called Fax & Scan. Scan your documents into a pdf file and print the file and you will see the fax in the printer popup.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

jerryk68 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm Windows 10 has a program called Fax & Scan. Scan your documents into a pdf file and print the file and you will see the fax in the printer popup.
You need a fax modem in order to fax the document. Or else, there will be no fax in the printer pop up.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author

Post by 400401402 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 pm https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y ... UTF8&psc=1

OP,

If you have a phone line and a Windows PC, you can get a USB Fax modem for less than $20. Then, you can fax the document directly.

KlangFool
I am assuming this needs a landline connection - correct me if I am wrong there. Both DW and I did away with landline and moved on two mobile phones. We have FIOS broadband (with no phone or cable) for internet. That's the reason, looking for a secure online FAX subscription.
I have a scanner which converts documents into pdf. The need of the hour is a FAX service to send them.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

400401402 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 pm https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y ... UTF8&psc=1

OP,

KlangFool
I am assuming this needs a landline connection - correct me if I am wrong there. Both DW and I did away with landline and moved on two mobile phones. We have FIOS broadband (with no phone or cable) for internet. That's the reason, looking for a secure online FAX subscription.
I have a scanner which converts documents into pdf. The need of the hour is a FAX service to send them.

I intentionally get a landline with Fios. I need a phone line for all the junk calls. The land line is cheap enough with the Fios bundle.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

FYI. There are additional Verizon Fios and Wireless $10 discounts if your employer is on the list.

You could use the following URL to check.

Verizon Wireless

https://www.verizon.com/discount-program/

Verizon Fios

https://www.verizon.com/home/verizonconnections/

KlangFool
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

I haven't used any of these, but here's what PC magazine thinks: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-on ... x-services
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

I have Fios internet. I do not have Fios phone or cable now but I use to have both a few years ago. I have a google voice number which uses an Obihai 200 device to get phone service thru the internet. I ported my old Fios number to google voice because we had that number for 20+ years but you can get a free google voice number. Search Google Voice.

I unhooked the Fios phone line where in came into the house after Verizon turned the phone off. I then plugged my Obihai into my internet router and then plugged my phone line into the Obihai device and then into the wall phone jack. I have free phone service throughout the house. I then plugged my desktop computer into a fax modem (previously mentioned) and into a phone wall jack and I have free fax service thru Windows 10 program Fax & Scan.

I suggest you search Google Voice & Obihai 200 on this site. This issue has been discussed numerous times.

Your mileage may and probably will vary.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP: Years ago, I used eFax, and had no complaints. At the time, I was getting tons of faxs each week. Now, people email me and I have not had the need for incoming faxs. Re outgoing faxes, haven't needed--seems recipients always have a backup plan (mail, email).
Topic Author

Post by 400401402 »

OP here.
Thanks everyone.
I signed up for a basic plan ($5.99 per month no annual contract) with fax.Plus. Looked Fax.plus, eFAX etc, but Fax.plus had the best monthly plan (eFAX minimum is $16 per month but they allow hundreds of pages per month; I only need few dozen pages for couple of months and Fax.plus had a basic plan).
I see that both have good security. Encryption at rest and transit.

Thanks for the suggestions on Fax modem and devices for turning broadband + Google voice into a VoIP line; these options are optimal for longer term solution. I will only need this for couple of months at the most.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

400401402 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm OP here.
Thanks everyone.
I signed up for a basic plan ($5.99 per month no annual contract) with fax.Plus. Looked Fax.plus, eFAX etc, but Fax.plus had the best monthly plan (eFAX minimum is $16 per month but they allow hundreds of pages per month; I only need few dozen pages for couple of months and Fax.plus had a basic plan).
I see that both have good security. Encryption at rest and transit.

Thanks for the suggestions on Fax modem and devices for turning broadband + Google voice into a VoIP line; these options are optimal for longer term solution. I will only need this for couple of months at the most.
I'm thinking of giving fax.plus a try, have you been satisfied with them?