MVNO on Verizon network...moving away from Ting

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guppyguy

MVNO on Verizon network...moving away from Ting

Post by guppyguy »

We've had Ting for years (GSM network) on 4 iPhones but are paying increasingly more due to additional data. If I wanted to stay with T-Mobile's network I would probably switch to Mint Mobile.

My problem, however, is that I find T-Mobile's coverage to be getting worse. I travel extensively and at major airports (IAH,EWR,MCO) I continuously run into lack of data coverage. The company iPad I travel with (also on T-Mobile) experiences the same dead spots.

So maybe its time to try a different network.

Any have a good recommendation for a MVNO on Verizon's network? The only one I'm aware of is Visible? Is its actually coverage/usage comparable to Verizon?
bloom2708

Re: MVNO on Verizon network...moving away from Ting

Post by bloom2708 »

Totalwireless.com has compelling 1-4 phone plans on Verizon.

We have 5 phones and use Cricket Wireless (AT&T).

If we only had 4 phones, I'd consider TW. My parents have used 1 line TW for a number of years.

4 lines sharing 100GB data on TW for $95/month + taxes on Verizon network. With Hotspot for each line.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
oogZoo

Post by oogZoo »

How is this related to non-US investing?
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

You can use Verizon prepaid. Much cheaper and better than MVNO.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

oogZoo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am How is this related to non-US investing?
Oooppps...my bad....mods please move...:)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (cellphone network).

You can get our attention sooner by reporting the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum". Thanks to the member who did just that.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

xfinity mobile?
tommy85

Post by tommy85 »

1+ for verizon prepaid
Mr. Market is Bipolar.
yohac

Post by yohac »

Visible is probably the best Verizon MVNO for a heavy user. Actually it's not a true MVNO as Verizon owns it. Otherwise there are several options, like Page Plus, Tracfone and Red Pocket.
davebo

Post by davebo »

We do XFINITY Mobile and it's $100 for 2 unlimited phones plus an Apple Watch. I was paying much more with Verizon for much less. Realistically since I've been working from home, I should downgrade down to something even lower but I haven't bothered.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I've been comfortably using Page Plus Cellular for over a decade.

I have not personally tried it yet, but the next MVNO I am going to try is Red Pocket Mobile. They have annual plans as low as $5/mo.
keystone

Post by keystone »

yohac wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 am Visible is probably the best Verizon MVNO for a heavy user. Actually it's not a true MVNO as Verizon owns it. Otherwise there are several options, like Page Plus, Tracfone and Red Pocket.
Actually, last month it was announced that Verizon will be acquiring Tracfone which includes Net10, Straight Talk, Total Wireless and Page Plus. It looks like there won't be a lot of non-Verizon owned MVNOs left after this.
jkusa1791

Post by jkusa1791 »

I have been a Ting user for a few years with 4-lines. I have seen our data use tick up a little though in total we still average less than 2GB/month. Ting is on the VZ network but you'll need to upgrade your devices to use it. They will send you free SIMs to change networks within Ting if you contact them. That would give you more coverage now and more time to shop around for other VZ MVNOs. Ting was bought by Dish Network so we'll see if they start messing with the plans/costs.
greenmonster

Post by greenmonster »

If you have Xfinity for your home internet/tv I’d definitely recommend checking out Xfinity mobile, it operates on Verizon towers and has fantastic coverage. I’ve been using their by-the-gig plan for almost 2 years and rarely have seen a bill over $15 (depends on your data needs of course, I’m admittedly a low data user).
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Depending on needs, you could also consider: Visible, Yahoo Mobile and Xfinity.
There are different limitations of them.
If you use hotspot often you have to pay attention to that particular limitation especially with unlimited plans.
pondering

Post by pondering »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 am ^^^ This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (cellphone network).

You can get our attention sooner by reporting the post. One of the reasons is "Wrong forum". Thanks to the member who did just that.
will do. Although my posts are more likely to be reported :)

The managers here do an amazing job!
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

tommy85 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 am 1+ for verizon prepaid
+2
But I hate their website. Very glitchy and have been over a month now showing me "temporary unavailable". I can use their app to manage the account instead.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

gogleheads.orb wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:51 am xfinity mobile?
Xfinity customer service is worthless. They would be my last choice.
Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy »

We used Pageplus for years in New England with no problems. About a year and a half ago, we noticed significant data slow downs. Verizon started de-prioritizing data for MVNO customers and prepaid customers. It got so bad that we switched to Google Fi even though I was worried about being off Verizon in Verizon dominant New England. With Google Fi our data speeds have increased significantly and we have had no problems with connectivity. Your experience will vary on your location as well.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

Redpocket is great
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE »

yohac wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 am Visible is probably the best Verizon MVNO for a heavy user. Actually it's not a true MVNO as Verizon owns it. Otherwise there are several options, like Page Plus, Tracfone and Red Pocket.
Do you use Visible? If so, curious if you have any thoughts?

This is a timely thread as I was just researching this same topic yesterday. I'm on Ting currently but moved and have terrible service inside my house now. Thinking of going to Visible with 4 people on a "party". The price is way better than Verizon prepaid and includes hotspot
yohac

Post by yohac »

Yes, I use Visible. Great coverage on my rare road trips. Data speed is generally not great at home, especially in the evening, but otherwise no complaints.
FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE »

yohac wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:01 pm Yes, I use Visible. Great coverage on my rare road trips. Data speed is generally not great at home, especially in the evening, but otherwise no complaints.
Thanks! I've got good internet at home, just need to be able to have a functional phone so I can receive a call. The VZW coverage map is definitely attractive. Good part of a prepaid plan... I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Right now they're also giving a $100 prepaid Mastercard after 2 months so that trial is effectively free.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I switched from straight Verizon to Visible, the coverage seems the same. BUT, the Hotspot is slow as molassis so if you need that then I don't recommend.
tommy85

Post by tommy85 »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:55 pm
+2
But I hate their website. Very glitchy and have been over a month now showing me "temporary unavailable". I can use their app to manage the account instead.
Agree with hating the website. It almost never works on my phone via browser but haven't had problem from a computer
Mr. Market is Bipolar.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

good thread on Visible and Totalwireless:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=326756&sid=d46642d ... a7c2e1b8f1

also if you desire to figure out what is the best cellphone carrier in the area to travel, I recommend http://www.opensignal.com an app which will map the coverage between the four carriers in a particular area.

I am currently using Straighttalk via Walmart for 25GB at $48 per month https://www.straighttalk.com/home

You could bring your own phone, stay on T-Mobile or buy a new one.
tj

Post by tj »

keystone wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 pm
Actually, last month it was announced that Verizon will be acquiring Tracfone which includes Net10, Straight Talk, Total Wireless and Page Plus. It looks like there won't be a lot of non-Verizon owned MVNOs left after this.
Selectel is probably the biggest one now. Is it any cheaper though?
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

Holy crap!
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE »

Update: switched to Visible earlier this week and zero complaints. My wife and I are on it now, and have two friends we're planning to add to our party, so we'll get 2 lines with unltd. data and hotspot for $50/month - all taxes/fees included. That's less than half what we were paying on VZW and about 70% what we were paying for our usage on Ting. So far with some travel around the Midwest and South I have experienced far better signal on Visible.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

We've been on Total Wireless for a couple of years now. 4 phone plan with about 100 gig of data shared between all 4 comes in at about $27/mth/phone after all the discounts (autopay, etc.) are applied. It's been good, trouble free service.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

bog007 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm Redpocket is great
+1. For real light use get the $60/year package only available on eBay. 500 MB of data a month, 100 SMS texts and 100 voice minutes. I love, love, love paying only $5/mo for cell service. If you look hard enough you can probably find five bucks’ worth of spare change lying around in the street every month.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

keystone

Thanks for the heads up I was not aware. Here is a link to what they are planning to do:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/14/verizon ... -deal.html

https://www.pcmag.com/news/verizon-buys ... r-tracfone
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

Red Pocket Mobile has Verizon based options; use the options called CDMA (not CDMAS, which is on Sprint).

The plans they offer on eBay include a $240. per year plan which includes unlimited talk/txt and 7GB/month data.

I've used their ATT version for a couple of years with no problems.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Redpocket
Us Mobile super lte
Xfinity mobile
Total wireless
Pageplus
Tracfone
Straight talk
Verizon prepaid
Visible
Mobi
Net10
Boom.us
Ecomobile
Selectel
Expo Mobile
Best Cellular

Tons. What talk/text/ gb do you need. Personally I use visible and redpocket. MIL likes xfinity
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

+2
What kind of prepaid plans are we talking about? As far as I've looked, they aren't particularly cheap: https://www.verizon.com/articles/verizo ... -answered/
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

guppyguy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:13 am We've had Ting for years (GSM network) on 4 iPhones but are paying increasingly more due to additional data. If I wanted to stay with T-Mobile's network I would probably switch to Mint Mobile.

My problem, however, is that I find T-Mobile's coverage to be getting worse. I travel extensively and at major airports (IAH,EWR,MCO) I continuously run into lack of data coverage. The company iPad I travel with (also on T-Mobile) experiences the same dead spots.

So maybe its time to try a different network.

Any have a good recommendation for a MVNO on Verizon's network? The only one I'm aware of is Visible? Is its actually coverage/usage comparable to Verizon?
How much data and what equipment? Which models are your iPhones? T-mobile is getting better if you have newer equipment with newer frequencies. Also, ATT MVNO is an option, again depending on which frequencies.

Many older phones don't support band 12/71 which are becoming increasingly important.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/covera ... le-network
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/lte-b ... le-devices
https://www.apple.com/iphone/cellular/
https://www.pcmag.com/news/exclusive-he ... verage-map

Verizon MVNO data is generally more expensive. How much do you need per month? If you use a lot of data and have need for more than one line, the family plan at Total Wireless looked competitive and very promising.

https://www.totalwireless.com/serviceplan
keystone

Post by keystone »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 am
+2
What kind of prepaid plans are we talking about? As far as I've looked, they aren't particularly cheap: https://www.verizon.com/articles/verizo ... -answered/
Not sure if you noticed the loyalty discounts, the plans go down by $5/mo. after 3 months, $10 after 6 and $15 after 9. Still not the cheapest out there, but better than those prices that are shown.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I've been on Total Wireless for 2 months now and the service has been flawless. We're on the 2 line 30 gb shared plan for $57/mo. with auto-pay.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

keystone wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:00 am
+2
Not sure if you noticed the loyalty discounts, the plans go down by $5/mo. after 3 months, $10 after 6 and $15 after 9. Still not the cheapest out there, but better than those prices that are shown.
I didn't notice them. That's not bad.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

Well just as I was looking, Ting rolls out new usage criteria. Unlimited text and talk. Data pay as you go. Switched all 4 iPhones to their "Verizon" V1 network and now coverage is much better and our bill dropped about $30/month.

Glad I didn't switch. Sometimes it pays to drag your feet making changes:)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Visible has run some excellent promos on new (and unlocked!) iPhones. But network performance is worse than I expected. In several spots that weren't particularly crowded, I've gotten 3-4 bars (out of 4) but been unable to get any data. With the same phone on Mint and Metro (both T-Mobile), I'm seeing generally better coverage and speed, which I didn't expect. And T-Mobile has quite a bit of 5G coverage; it's not that much faster than 4G LTE, but Visible doesn't have it at all for now. Of course all this is very YMMV.
slidecreek

Post by slidecreek »

I use Verizon Prepaid and am very happy with it. Unfortunately Visable and other MVNO's do not include some (all?) of Verizon's LTE in Rural America partners, so coverage can be much worse than the actual Verizon prepaid plans.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

guppyguy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:30 pm Well just as I was looking, Ting rolls out new usage criteria. Unlimited text and talk. Data pay as you go. Switched all 4 iPhones to their "Verizon" V1 network and now coverage is much better and our bill dropped about $30/month.

Is Verizon better than T-Mobile? Seems like you specifically have to ask for the V1 sim or else they'll just give you X3 or whatever.
Topic Author
guppyguy

Post by guppyguy »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:46 pm
guppyguy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:30 pm Well just as I was looking, Ting rolls out new usage criteria. Unlimited text and talk. Data pay as you go. Switched all 4 iPhones to their "Verizon" V1 network and now coverage is much better and our bill dropped about $30/month.

Is Verizon better than T-Mobile? Seems like you specifically have to ask for the V1 sim or else they'll just give you X3 or whatever.
So far I do believe voice quality and data speeds appear better. As mentioned above, what drove me crazy were the data dead spots at airports with Tmobile, haven't seen that with the V1 chip (same airports sampled). YMMV, but I was ready to dump Ting over T-mobile.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

guppyguy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm So far I do believe voice quality and data speeds appear better. As mentioned above, what drove me crazy were the data dead spots at airports with Tmobile, haven't seen that with the V1 chip (same airports sampled). YMMV, but I was ready to dump Ting over T-mobile.
Thank you. I'm considering V1 SIM with Ting myself. Trying to wrap up some phone calls I need to make before switching though, as I don't want to jeopardize my phone situation.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

bloom2708 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 am Totalwireless.com has compelling 1-4 phone plans on Verizon.
Late to this thread, but I have tried a couple of Verizon MVNOs. This is my experience.

Total Wireless: I would do without a phone before using them again. We had a great deal: $60/mo for two lines and (IIRC) 15GBs/line/mo. BUT, customer service is non-existent. I had the account set up to bill my credit card every month. It worked great until my credit card got hacked and I was issued a new card. Before I could update the accounts that charged to my card, Total Wireless attempted to bill the old card. When it was declined, they simply turned off my service. No text notification, no phone call, no e-mail, nothing. Just <<click>>, no service. I had to have my son come over to borrow his phone, spend an hour or more waiting on hold before I could talk to someone and get my service restored.

Xfinity Mobile: I promptly dumped Total Wireless and transferred my service to Xfinity Mobile. You have to be an existing customer of one of their other services to sign up with Xfinity Mobile, but we have Comcast internet service so no problem. The cost was higher, but I negotiated a nice discount on my internet service, so that offset the higher price of the mobile service.

But, the problem with Xfinity Mobile is that their technical support leaves a lot to be desired. I had an issue with my phone being unable to connect to mobile data (kind of a big deal because that's what you're paying for). I visited the local Xfinity Mobile store several times, spend a couple of hours on the phone with Xfinty Mobile technical support, and no one could diagnose the issue. In frustration, I cancelled Xfinity Mobile and went directly with Verizon. (The issue with the mobile data turned out to be my VPN app "blocking" the connection to the mobile network; it took a guy at the Apple Store all of 30 seconds to identify and fix that issue.)
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

nydoc wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:19 am You can use Verizon prepaid. Much cheaper and better than MVNO.
This is what we have now. I don't think it's promoted, but I kept asking questions at my local Verizon store and found out about it. It turned out to be cheaper than either Total Wireless or Xfinity Mobile.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:37 pm
guppyguy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:24 pm So far I do believe voice quality and data speeds appear better. As mentioned above, what drove me crazy were the data dead spots at airports with Tmobile, haven't seen that with the V1 chip (same airports sampled). YMMV, but I was ready to dump Ting over T-mobile.
Thank you. I'm considering V1 SIM with Ting myself. Trying to wrap up some phone calls I need to make before switching though, as I don't want to jeopardize my phone situation.
After 5-hours of on hold today alone & 3 weeks of nonsense with CSRs, I was able to force my way through and now waiting for 15K to arrive. Now that my phone calls are mostly settled, I think I'll take a serious look at Ting + Verizon soon.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

guppyguy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:13 am Any have a good recommendation for a MVNO on Verizon's network?
I use Spectrum Mobile. It's coverage is exactly the same as Verizon's, and a much lower cost.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
jtdavid

Post by jtdavid »

I've been happy with US Mobile. They have an unlimited minutes/text plan with 5 gb of data for less than $20 after all taxes and fees. I don't think they deprioritize speed on this plan either.