Wi-Fi TV - complexity and savings

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Soon2BXProgrammer

Re: Wi-Fi TV - complexity and savings

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

f4d wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:33 pm The cable company was unable to run a cable to my den. I understand I can use a WIFI device such as ROKU to get a picture to my den. Has anyone used WIFI TV, and how complex is it. There is a savings in not using the Cable Company box.
I don't have cable I pay a $5.50 a month donation to use https://www.locast.org/ without ads.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Just cut the cable yesterday, reluctantly, by this DYI frugal senior.
My service provider is discontinuing cable service in the area and switching to their broadcast streaming service. Once I stop cable service, I won't be able to sign up again.
I lost access to the rooms where the working cable coaxial lines comes into the house because a relative temporary moved in, and we are socially distancing.
From my perspective, the main loss is having a third- party digital "VCR", where I can record programs on an unencrypted cable line, and view them while zapping through the commercials. Is used an IVIEW 3500-STBII analogue to digital converter, that so happens to be able to record the digital signal on a flashdrive (64 gigs on one) or a harddrive (1 terabit on the other).
When I subscribed to a different internet/cable service a decade ago, the new service stole all the coaxial lines from the Comcast box used by the previous owner that was being discontinued.
Just this morning, I realized that I may not have had to stop cable. I went into the discontinued Comcast box and saw two coaxial lines going into the house that are not being used with the new service. When we moved in, there were a couple coaxial receptacles that in an area of the house that we have access to and we did not want to use. When we painted the room, I replaced the coaxial receptacles with a flat face cover. If I had remembered about the two unused coaxial lines running through the house, I could have connected these lines to the splitter of our present internet/cable provider.

We contribute to PBS, so we have Passport and a Roku for the TV. Just learning how to fast forward on Roku. Someone told my about locast broadcast streaming service. But that requires me to turn on my location on my computer (Oh, no). We don't watch that much TV, we read more. So, we will dipping our toes into all these new streaming services.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

chemocean wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 am Just cut the cable yesterday, reluctantly, by this DYI frugal senior.
My service provider is discontinuing cable service in the area and switching to their broadcast streaming service. Once I stop cable service, I won't be able to sign up again.
I lost access to the rooms where the working cable coaxial lines comes into the house because a relative temporary moved in, and we are socially distancing.
From my perspective, the main loss is having a third- party digital "VCR", where I can record programs on an unencrypted cable line, and view them while zapping through the commercials. Is used an IVIEW 3500-STBII analogue to digital converter, that so happens to be able to record the digital signal on a flashdrive (64 gigs on one) or a harddrive (1 terabit on the other).
When I subscribed to a different internet/cable service a decade ago, the new service stole all the coaxial lines from the Comcast box used by the previous owner that was being discontinued.
Just this morning, I realized that I may not have had to stop cable. I went into the discontinued Comcast box and saw two coaxial lines going into the house that are not being used with the new service. When we moved in, there were a couple coaxial receptacles that in an area of the house that we have access to and we did not want to use. When we painted the room, I replaced the coaxial receptacles with a flat face cover. If I had remembered about the two unused coaxial lines running through the house, I could have connected these lines to the splitter of our present internet/cable provider.

We contribute to PBS, so we have Passport and a Roku for the TV. Just learning how to fast forward on Roku. Someone told my about locast broadcast streaming service. But that requires me to turn on my location on my computer (Oh, no). We don't watch that much TV, we read more. So, we will dipping our toes into all these new streaming services.
If your budget isn't tight, you can get unlimited "VCR" like functionality from Google's YouTubeTV (note it is YouTubeTV and not just YouTube). Once you find something you like, just click on the record option and it will record all occurrences. Some shows allow FF through ads and others don't. Not sure what the rules are.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

chemocean wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 am Just this morning, I realized that I may not have had to stop cable. I went into the discontinued Comcast box and saw two coaxial lines going into the house that are not being used with the new service. When we moved in, there were a couple coaxial receptacles that in an area of the house that we have access to and we did not want to use. When we painted the room, I replaced the coaxial receptacles with a flat face cover. If I had remembered about the two unused coaxial lines running through the house, I could have connected these lines to the splitter of our present internet/cable provider.
How old is your wiring? RG-? and layers or shielding? They wouldn't spell it out for me, but my 20 year old wiring was inadequate for modern cableTV and internet standards. They've been doing upgrades every few years and loading more data onto old wiring, but this year the interior cable was just unable to carry all the internet data along with cable TV channels.

I'm guessing I have RG-59, and they're talking about some sort of quad layer or quad shielding, possibly RG-6/UQ. Anyway, I'm still using a short segment of RG-59 and running 100+ mbps speeds only internet (borderline ok snr according to the tech). Splitting and/or lengthening that that wiring caused internet and cableTV problems (which wasn't a problem before they upgraded their equipment on their end and didn't tell me about increased requirements).

Anyway, turns out to be a good impetus to cut the cable that I've been putting off for a few years (but I was getting under 20 mbps before and don't know exactly when they upgraded to over 100). Need to upgrade all the weakest links, and everything is near their limits now (ISP, wiring, router, devices, content, etc.). About 5 years ago, looked into 4k TVs, but it's only recently that there some more programming and the means to deliver it. Quality of 4k tv today is way better than 5 years ago and prices much lower.

Streaming on-demand gets rid of a lot of need for VCR functionality, but not as free to control content. On the other hand, WiFi provides a ton of physical freedom and eliminates dependence on those coax receptacles. TV's can go almost anywhere now (still needs power plug).
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

rich126 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 amThis list is too long but I also have AppleTV+ channel. I got a year free with the purchase of an iPad. In general I think the service is marginal and the shows over priced compared to other streaming channels. Tehran and the Flight Attendant were good. As I think was stated above, many of the Apple shows are actually things you have to pay extra for and I don't see the point. I suppose the point is that, as the poster above stated, they want to be the gatekeeper you select shows from and they take a cut from it. I'm an Apple fan of their computers but I've never thought much of Apple TV (the hardware) nor the channel.
I think Flight Attendant is HBOMax. I liked Tehran and I think season 2 is in the works.

I would prefer a standalone AppleTV+ app that only showed all the AppleTV+ programs I subscribe to instead of trying to sell me Flight Attendant via iTunes or a subscription to HBOMax. It might be helpful to register my HBOMax subscription I already have with the app so I can watch Flight Attendant without additional fees, but that doesn't help Apple keep control or make money, so I don't see them doing it (or any other content aggregator). Apple or Roku has no incentive to help me manage content like my Netflix programs, so unless they get something for it, I don't see them linking up. Netflix doesn't want to give up control either. It's another battle for the eyeballs.
Any channel that includes ads I can't handle at this time unless I can FF through them.
I'm ok with a few ads, and even enjoy the breaks, like TV commercials. Give me a chance to lookup something, check messages, grab a snack, or take a break. But there are some free apps I've tried that have way too many ads (worst are repetitive). And most have too little quality content. Main benefit is that you don't need to register an account, so it's easy to install the app and delete it after you're done watching one or two programs.
I have or had:
"had" is the key word. This model of churning is going to get tiring for everyone, content providers, consumers, and everyone in between. Mainstream music consumption has evolved, but at least streaming choices are relatively simple today. [Napster 1999, iTunes 2001 -> Music, Spotify 2009 UK/2011 US] Just like all the other forgotten music offerings, I expect (hope) in 5-10 years, the long list of video streaming offerings will be vastly different.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

rich126 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:32 pm Both Roku and Amazon seem to want you to live in their "environment" (hard to explain) such that you launch shows directly from the main screen instead of going into the individual app (e.g., Netflix, Disney+, etc.) and then start the show. I'm sure that can confuse some folks.
This is not accurate. Amazon pushes its own content far more aggressively than Roku does. The home screen basically puts all Amazon content front and center. Everything else (non-Amazon) is a separate app. By contrast, I've been using a Roku for 6+ years (including latest updates) and have never really had Roku's content pushed. The home screen shows the apps I've chosen for the home screen; I don't really even know what content Roku itself has - I think they have some but it's never been in my face and I've never bought or rented it.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

02nz wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:13 pm
rich126 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:32 pm Both Roku and Amazon seem to want you to live in their "environment" (hard to explain) such that you launch shows directly from the main screen instead of going into the individual app (e.g., Netflix, Disney+, etc.) and then start the show. I'm sure that can confuse some folks.
This is not accurate. Amazon pushes its own content far more aggressively than Roku does. The home screen basically puts all Amazon content front and center. Everything else (non-Amazon) is a separate app. By contrast, I've been using a Roku for 6+ years (including latest updates) and have never really had Roku's content pushed. The home screen shows the apps I've chosen for the home screen; I don't really even know what content Roku itself has - I think they have some but it's never been in my face and I've never bought or rented it.
We have a FireTV 4K and a Roku Premiere+ and I agree with the above entirely. Roku is very much out of the way and has the best interface. FireTV Is great if you’re deep into the Amazon ecosystem or if you want to tinker since it’s basically just Android,
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

ATT TV (formerly ATT Now, and before that directv Now) just upped their price on the grandfathered plan to $70.

Started 15... then slowly and steadily bumped up the pricing about $10 every 6 months or so to where we are now. Cancelled and now are true cord cutters with just OTA with Tablo. Also have a Roku stick (awesome by the way) for streaming. Only thing I’ll miss is hockey games live but oh well.
ensign

Post by ensign »

lightheir wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 pm Wifi TVs. like ROku work great. Just make sure you have a decent signal in that area of the house. If not, get a Google wifi and it'll take care of it.

I can heartily recommend smart wifi TVs. All the benefits, none the drawbacks.
There is one major drawback: Having to scroll through each app to find content. I find it to be a major hassle. If DW weren’t so much against it, I’d dump all streaming subs (Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. ) and just use the free Pluto TV app. Commercials, yes, but decent content and clever channel lineups.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

ensign wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:56 am
lightheir wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 pm Wifi TVs. like ROku work great. Just make sure you have a decent signal in that area of the house. If not, get a Google wifi and it'll take care of it.

I can heartily recommend smart wifi TVs. All the benefits, none the drawbacks.
There is one major drawback: Having to scroll through each app to find content. I find it to be a major hassle. If DW weren’t so much against it, I’d dump all streaming subs (Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. ) and just use the free Pluto TV app. Commercials, yes, but decent content and clever channel lineups.
That's not a real drawback. It's better than most cable TV systems with their zillion-button remote controls.

How are you finding your shows/media so quickly without any scrolling? If you're on a computer, ok, that make sense, but that's comparing apples to oranges for searching, as that's a keyboard-driven device vs a by definition no-keyboard device.

In addition, Roku has a free app that you can use on your phone that makes searching even easier if you don't like the Roku remote (which is pretty good - simple, works.)

And if you didn't know, you can easily customize your Roku home page so the content carriers you use first show up first so there is no scroll-down needed.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

rich126 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 amCBSAllAccess (had for a couple of months but canceled, didn't like the fact that often only the current season of shows were free with the paid subscription)
Boomerang (canceled quickly, cartoons, I don't understand that they want you to pay a monthly fee AND then pay for many of the shows in addition)
CBS and Hulu are the worst in this regard. Too many tiers, and having a pay level to get minimal access and/or ads is just not desirable. Then having to pay more for less or no ads and premium levels. But I don't want an expensive all-you-can-view plan either. Still looking for calm waters in the middle of this storm.

Boomerang might just be predatory with kids buying things parents may not be aware of. We'll see if the lawsuits follow the like of Apple and Google apps and others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/tech ... laint.html
https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently- ... eemed.html
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

lightheir wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 amIn addition, Roku has a free app that you can use on your phone that makes searching even easier if you don't like the Roku remote (which is pretty good - simple, works.)

And if you didn't know, you can easily customize your Roku home page so the content carriers you use first show up first so there is no scroll-down needed.
I start my watching by searching google or justwatch.com these days. And I've gotten down to 6 apps on my Roku deleting apps I don't use or haven't used recently (down from a peak of over 30). It's easy enough to add back to watch a program if needed and delete it afterwards.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

All of the Smart TVs I’ve used have been clunky, slow, and have fewer apps than dedicated streaming boxes. I recommend spending some money and getting a streaming box like a Roku or Apple TV for a better experience.
EvanRude

Post by EvanRude »

We have Roku Ultra on the main TV and another smart TV using apps for Spectrum, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ... This works well - different but you get used to it.

Spectrum and Roku must be having a spat. A message came up recently on the Roku saying if the Spectrum app was deleted it could not be reloaded. Presumably a new Roku user could not use it to view Spectrum programming.

There has been an increase in big tech/entertainment companies jockeying among themselves that results in more complexity for the customer. Buyer beware.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

EvanRude wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 am We have Roku Ultra on the main TV and another smart TV using apps for Spectrum, Netflix, Amazon Prime, ... This works well - different but you get used to it.

Spectrum and Roku must be having a spat. A message came up recently on the Roku saying if the Spectrum app was deleted it could not be reloaded. Presumably a new Roku user could not use it to view Spectrum programming.

There has been an increase in big tech/entertainment companies jockeying among themselves that results in more complexity for the customer. Buyer beware.
Way too many options these days. I'll get Hallmark over the holidays and then cancel. I'll get Britbox for certain programs and then cancel. I'm thinking about trying out Paramount+, so I can get caught up on my Star Trek and then canceling. HBO Max is probably the best new offering with lots of great content. I find I'm watching it more and more lately.

But for free stuff, you can't beat CW Seed, Roku Channel, and PlutoTV. Through our library we get Hoopla too. Definitely explore the free options, which include paying one time for an antenna.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:36 pm
chemocean wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:15 am Just this morning, I realized that I may not have had to stop cable. I went into the discontinued Comcast box and saw two coaxial lines going into the house that are not being used with the new service. When we moved in, there were a couple coaxial receptacles that in an area of the house that we have access to and we did not want to use. When we painted the room, I replaced the coaxial receptacles with a flat face cover. If I had remembered about the two unused coaxial lines running through the house, I could have connected these lines to the splitter of our present internet/cable provider.
How old is your wiring? RG-? and layers or shielding? They wouldn't spell it out for me, but my 20 year old wiring was inadequate for modern cableTV and internet standards. They've been doing upgrades every few years and loading more data onto old wiring, but this year the interior cable was just unable to carry all the internet data along with cable TV channels.
Inbox788 is correct. When the Comcast tech came to install the service for our temporary resident, I pointed out the two wires coming into their box and where the receptacles were in the house. He indicated that if we wanted service in that part of the house, they would just use wireless TV router. Besides the new co-axial receptacle for the modem, the temporary residents wanted cable TV that was around the corner of the house where the modem was. Co-axial cable was strung to that receptacle. I just noticed that there is the big roll of coaxial by the joint box. I think they are planning on coming back and restringing the coaxial around the outside a quarter of the house to where the cable box is located inside.