New Roof leaks - roofing company unresponsive

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

New Roof leaks - roofing company unresponsive

Post by ThankYouJack »

My friends had their roof replaced and it started leaking. After a few calls to the roofing company's owner, they came back out to fix it. However, it's still leaking and now the company isn't picking up the phone.

My friends I believe have already paid in full for the roof. It's pretty stressful on them as they don't want more rain to damage their house/ceiling.

What actions should they take?
50/50

Re: New Roof leaks - roofing company unresponsive

Post by 50/50 »

If the company is a member of the Better Business Bureau then they should file a complaint with the BBB.
This has worked for me in the past.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Was the initial re-roof an insurance job? If so, I'd be pestering my insurer to call the roofing company. I don't know the intricacies of insurance, but I'd imagine an insurer would not be thrilled with sub-standard work being done on a job they're paying for.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 am My friends had their roof replaced and it started leaking. After a few calls to the roofing company's owner, they came back out to fix it. However, it's still leaking and now the company isn't picking up the phone.

My friends I believe have already paid in full for the roof. It's pretty stressful on them as they don't want more rain to damage their house/ceiling.

First, your friend needs to immediately take steps to remediate the issue and prevent further damage, such as having the roof tarped. They can't simply sit back and wait on the initial roofing company to handle it while the roof continues to leak.

Second, your friend should retain a roofing inspector to inspect the roof installation and provide a written report that enumerates all issues with the roof, whether it be installation, materials, flashing, gutters or downspouts, etc.

Third, they should get estimates from three reliable, trusted, bonded and insured roofing contractors to repair all of the issues with the roof.

If the amount involved is more than a few thousand dollars, your friend would be well advised to consult with a trusted and experienced attorney who can review the reports, the estimates, the warranty terms of the roof replacement (if any) as well as state law and advise or assist on a course of action.

If the amount is not significant, your friend could send a demand to the roofing company that the roof be repaired in a timely and workmanlike manner, that the roofing company pay for the cost of a roofing inspector to inspect the repairs, and that the roofing company reimburse your friend for any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses for tarping the roof, having the roof inspected or for other remediation and mitigation expenses. If the roofing company refuses, your friend could file an action in small claims court.

IANYFL.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks for the replies, especially the logical steps galawdawg.

The company finally got back to them and went out to fix the leak this afternoon. Hopefully it's taken care of now. I think they should still have a roofing inspector look at it.

It's not an insurance job and the company is part of BBB. They've been in business for 40 years and get an A+ on BBB but they've changed owners and I guess now it's very poorly run. My friends don't think the company will last.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

They should be bonded and registered with the board of contractors. File a complaint. If not, they'll have to sue.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:43 pm Thanks for the replies, especially the logical steps galawdawg.

The company finally got back to them and went out to fix the leak this afternoon. Hopefully it's taken care of now. I think they should still have a roofing inspector look at it.

It's not an insurance job and the company is part of BBB. They've been in business for 40 years and get an A+ on BBB but they've changed owners and I guess now it's very poorly run. My friends don't think the company will last.
We had a roofer problem 20 years ago. Filed a BBB complaint. I checked online a month later and it was listed as "resolved". I called the BBB and asked how it was resolved. They said the roofer contacted them and told them it was resolved. Meanwhile, I was working with a lawyer to sue them. BBB is useless.

Good luck.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
WJW

Post by WJW »

If it's already leaking, there is likely an issue with the installation. I would contact a reputable roofer and pay them for a full inspection. With their report in hand, my next call would likely be to my attorney.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 am it's still leaking and now the company isn't picking up the phone.

Although it sounds like it might be fixed, my first step is always to just drop by unannounced at where ever their office is located. I find this highly effective because it is harder to ignore someone standing in front of you than a phone connected to an answering machine. I'm always courteous and just say I was in the area and wanted to drop by and see if we can get this resolved as soon as possible. I have always had great results with in person meetings. I do this before I file complaints to the BBB because that usually insures that any fix there after will be minimal at best. I have gone this route but it is the last option in my opinion.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I had the company come back out more than a handful of times. We had leaking issues plus things just looked awful. We eventually paid for a roof inspection which found other things that I couldn't see. Eventually, everything was fixed and hopefully it will last.