Looking for reliable printer compatible with PC+Chromebook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
steve321

Looking for reliable printer compatible with PC+Chromebook

Post by steve321 »

I would like to buy a reliable (and ideally cheap) printer compatible with PC+Chromebook. Nothing fancy, just to print (and scan ideally) documents I need to send to say my bank, or copy of leases for my tenants etc.
So no color needed really.
I've seen on the web that some work with a wifi as opposed to cables, not sure which would be preferable.
We had ours installed in the past by a friend but can't rely on him now, so I would like something very easy to install/connect to my computer/chromebook.
Any advice would be most welcome!
Cheers
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde
AerialP

Re: Looking for reliable printer compatible with PC+Chromebook

Post by AerialP »

I have found my simple entry-level Brother b&w printer to have served me well for almost 10 years now. It appears, with a quick search, that its more recent counterpart still ranks highly in reviews and has scanning function with two-sided (duplex) functionality and wi-fi...all for about $150. With my satisfaction of my current simple Brother printer I would gladly buy one again.
phantom

Post by phantom »

AerialP wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:45 am I have found my simple entry-level Brother b&w printer to have served me well for almost 10 years now. It appears, with a quick search, that its more recent counterpart still ranks highly in reviews and has scanning function with two-sided (duplex) functionality and wi-fi...all for about $150. With my satisfaction of my current simple Brother printer I would gladly buy one again.
+1 for Brother. Have had an MFC-L2700 (there is probably some newer model, like 2710) for several years now and no complaints. Was easy to set up and use under Windows, Linux, and ChromeOS.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I'm one more copy-shuckin' Brother-trucker.
Semper Augustus
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

We have a Brother and love it , MFC-J885DW - copy, scan, print in color or B/W - prints double sided automatically , copying multiple pages using the bulk feeder is also automatic for double sided but scanning is only manually for double sided I believe - it's been very reliable , would buy it again , think it was around $120 , could be more now ?

It's wireless and was easy to set up !! We only use it with our laptops , can't speak to Chrome .

Hope this helps , good luck !!
Last edited by ubermax on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Personally I would get a brother black and white laser printer. Laser cartridges are just less hassle than toner. Black and white is lower cost. If I want to print a photo I use a photo printing service such as Walmart, but these days I mostly look at photos on a tablet or phone rather than printing it.

Wifi is good if you want to print from multiple computers in the house or put the printer more than a few feet away from the computer. I also like the printer to be duplex so that it will print on both sides of the paper.

My Brother B&W laser printer is now 17 years old so I can't help with a current model. It has lasted that long in part because we don't use it very often, I would not use that data point to show that a Brother printed today will last for decades.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

ubermax wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:24 am We have a Brother and love it , MFC-J885DW - copy, scan, print in color or B/W - prints double sided automatically , copying multiple pages using the bulk feeder is also automatic for double sided but scanning is only manually for double sided I believe - it's been very reliable , would buy it again , think it was around $120 , could be more now ?

It's wireless and was easy to set up !!

Hope this helps , good luck !!
We have the Brother MFC-J895DW. Very happy with it. Prints from PC, Chromebook, and our android phones with no problems. Much better than our previous (and older, of course) Canon wireless multi-purpose printer.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

The next time I read about dissatisfaction with a Brother laser printer will be the first. Mine is a very basic one, but still connected to the cloud and thus can be printed from phones, tablets, chromebooks, etc, through Google Cloud Print service.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Brother line of printers, but I really like mine...
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Pretty much any modern printer would work with PC and chrome book (and mac).
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Brother MFC-L2750DW here, works fine under all my operating systems (Windows, Linux, Chrome). I can send a print job from anywhere in the house over the WiFi, good for the occasional copy, scan as well.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I have a Brother 880 something...works great with Chromebook, Multiple Macs and a Dell laptop. Do NOT recommend HP printers - brought that one back to Costco. BTW Costco will take printer returns at any time - not like regular electronics purchases. When they told be that, I was back in 15 mins with the useless HP I had bought there.