Strange iMac issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GW208

Strange iMac issue

Post by GW208 »

I have a curious issue with my computer waking up and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might be causing it.
Every Sunday morning, and only Sunday morning, and only between the hours of midnight and 8AM the computer will randomly wake up several times on its own.
I've looked at some of the suggestions on the Apple forums but they don't seem to apply to my case. This is the only Apple product in the house and I've tried turning off my android phone to make sure it wasn't causing it. I could turn the computer off but I don't want to do that in case its Apple doing something.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Strange iMac issue

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Is this one of the posts you've already reviewed?:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8439111
Topic Author
GW208

Post by GW208 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:22 pm Is this one of the posts you've already reviewed?:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8439111
Yes it is and I think I have it set up properly. I have everything unchecked in energy saver and I have do not disturb set for 10PM-7AM in notifications.
The mouse and keyboard are wireless but I don't think that could be the problem.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

" I deactivated the Bluetooth wake on Bluetooth access and my computer slept all night for the first time in two weeks"
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

My first guess is that the computer is looking to do a scheduled time machine backup, and the backup media is not present.
Topic Author
GW208

Post by GW208 »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:01 pm " I deactivated the Bluetooth wake on Bluetooth access and my computer slept all night for the first time in two weeks"
I will try this next week but as far as I know the only Bluetooth devices are the mouse and keyboard. I would think if one of these were acting up the issue would be more random?
Target2019 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:02 pm My first guess is that the computer is looking to do a scheduled time machine backup, and the backup media is not present.
This sounds like a very good guess as I don't have a backup connected. When I look in time machine though, automatic backups are turned off.
inverter

Post by inverter »

Under Activity Monitor > Energy, do you have any unexpected apps preventing sleep?
abyan

Post by abyan »

If it’s only happening once a week, that doesn’t sound like Time Machine, which should be backing up every hour. It almost sounds like a routine weekly maintenance. In facts, I just checked my iMac, and there are in fact weekly maintenance scripts that run. They seem to run them overnight, often on Sundays, but not always. I can’t help beyond this, but happening once a week sure sounds like a routine that’s running. Have you tried apple’s phone help? I haven’t tried them during the plague, but otherwise have found they can be very helpful.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

GW208 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:33 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:01 pm " I deactivated the Bluetooth wake on Bluetooth access and my computer slept all night for the first time in two weeks"
I will try this next week but as far as I know the only Bluetooth devices are the mouse and keyboard. I would think if one of these were acting up the issue would be more random?
Target2019 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:02 pm My first guess is that the computer is looking to do a scheduled time machine backup, and the backup media is not present.
This sounds like a very good guess as I don't have a backup connected. When I look in time machine though, automatic backups are turned off.
My second guess is System or App checking for updates, etc.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

That's default timing for many security utilities that might be waking the computer. Backups, updates, and scans. Try locking the computer when signing out on Saturday. Also check your network adapter for "network wake" enabled/disabled. You'll figure it out.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

It may be your energy saver settings. Have you considered calling Apple support or peached their support forums? I have found that very helpful.

https://support.apple.com
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
GW208

Post by GW208 »

rustymutt wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:16 pm That's default timing for many security utilities that might be waking the computer. Backups, updates, and scans. Try locking the computer when signing out on Saturday. Also check your network adapter for "network wake" enabled/disabled. You'll figure it out.
I don't know what you mean by network adapter?

Also, I've looked at the energy saver settings in 2 different places and I don't see anything that would cause this.

I took the advice to go to Apple support this morning and got a call from them within a few seconds. :thumbsup The lady I talked to was quite sure it wasn't Apple doing anything that would make the computer wake up. Her first suggestion was also to disable Bluetooth and if that doesn't work I should try resetting the SMC by turning the computer off and unplugging it for 15 seconds.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they have given me several things to check.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

+1. This happened to me. It took a lot of searching todigure out.
fljones3

Post by fljones3 »

Don’t know what it is but you could take a look at the logs. My guess is the macOS is doing its daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance routines. I have not looked to see when they are run. What do your logs look like?
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

GW208 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 pm Every Sunday morning, and only Sunday morning, and only between the hours of midnight and 8AM the computer will randomly wake up several times on its own.
I don't have a solution, just a hint as to what the problem may be:

Several OS versions ago, Apple changed the functioning of system sleep. The system now "wakes up", does some housekeeping, and goes back to sleep. The screen is supposed to stay off during this.

There was some problem that seemed to affect the 12" MacBook. The computer would wake up and not go back to sleep. People would go to use their computer and the battery would be totally discharged. I think others would open their laptop bag to find a roasting hot computer that had shut down due to overheating. A common theme was iCloud - the system was trying to connect but couldn't.

I think Apple made some system changes that eventually fixed the problem. Or they may have caused it to misbehave in a different way.

Part of the problem is due to a system variable set to the wrong value. The operation of this variable is poorly documented. It also works differently on different systems. Quite possibly doing an OS upgrade may leave the variable set to the wrong value. (Sorry, I don't remember the variable name.)

A suggestion: Back up all your data. Twice. Now do a totally clean OS reinstall. I think it works to use the Installer on the Recovery partition. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 I'd start by erasing the disk (actually just the main partition) with Disk Utility. Then reinstall your programs and reload you data.

I realize that this solution is like getting rid of an ant infestation with a nuclear bomb!
Topic Author
GW208

Post by GW208 »

fljones3 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:52 pm Don’t know what it is but you could take a look at the logs. My guess is the macOS is doing its daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance routines. I have not looked to see when they are run. What do your logs look like?
I'm not computer savvy at all so had to search the internet for where to find the logs. I found them but they are just gibberish to me and I have no idea of what to look for.
boomer_techie wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:13 am
GW208 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:18 pm Every Sunday morning, and only Sunday morning, and only between the hours of midnight and 8AM the computer will randomly wake up several times on its own.
A suggestion: Back up all your data. Twice. Now do a totally clean OS reinstall. I think it works to use the Installer on the Recovery partition. See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 I'd start by erasing the disk (actually just the main partition) with Disk Utility. Then reinstall your programs and reload you data.

I realize that this solution is like getting rid of an ant infestation with a nuclear bomb!
Thanks but that is way beyond my comfort level or ability.

I think the best and easiest thing for now is to try turning off Bluetooth Saturday night and start from there.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:43 pm
+1. This happened to me. It took a lot of searching todigure out.
This is interesting. I presently have our backup hooked into an Apple wireless router - Airport Extreme. The backup is wireless (i.e.no cable involved).
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

My iMac was waking unexpectedly, and I pinpointed it to my leaving quite a large number of browser tabs open frequently. I realized if I closed Chrome, the iMac would sleep as expected. Your mileage may vary.