Roku vs Amazon Firestick Content

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Roku vs Amazon Firestick Content

Post by DTalos »

Does Roku have more or different app content vs Amazon Firestick?
GerryL

Re: Roku vs Amazon Firestick Content

Post by GerryL »

I have Roku. I understand that there is a lot of overlap between the two. I got a Roku because it has apps for several streaming services I wanted to be able to access on my TV. Most or all may also be on Firestick, too, but I didn't bother to check very deeply. I find that once you move past the well-known apps, the content is pretty generic.

I'll be interested in seeing comments from people who have experience with both devices.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

As far as I understood from a little bit of research before I bought a Roku, the content availability is similar. They all have the major services available, even Amazon now that they once again officially support Youtube.

As I see it, the way to go is:

Roku for the most typical user

Firestick for those primarily consuming Amazon content

Chromecast for those who want less common content or to display personal content on their TV, due to ease of mirroring smartphone or PC screens over WiFi.

Disclaimer - I only own the Roku.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

I only own the Roku, but I've had no issues with the content for six years now. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, YouTube, Plex, PBS...really hard to stay bored long with everything available.

I'd avoid the intrusion of connecting an Amazon device, but I'm paranoid about these company's and their data practices.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Kind of a Ford vs Chevy question. Either has pluses.

While most Fire/Roku content is the same, there can be important differences depending on your needs. I moved from Roku to fire for the U-verse tv app.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I started with Amazon firestick and used it while traveling but now I use the Roku on both tvs. I think it was due to one "channel" not being available on the firestick but was on the Roku. That might have changed since I switched.

I doubt there is any one that is better unless one has some content you need and the other doesn't. At least not on the low end devices that just plug into a HDMI port.
david9117

Post by david9117 »

I had roku and changed to firestick. The reason is that I cut the cord and started using OTA signal with Amazon Fire TV recast DVR. Works great and I get 20+ free channels + free DVR (besides one time equipment purchase cost there is no monthly costs). Recast DVR only works with firestick.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I have both. The content is pretty similar, however on the Firestick you have the ability to install apps such as IPTV or Kodi. If you don't want to dwelve into those rabbit holes then both have the same basic functionalities, and I'd say that Roku is a little more user friendly.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Neither have HBO Max, unfortunately.

I have used both and think they are pretty similar in terms of content and user experience. Roku is of course more neutral, in terms of Amazon content being highlighted.
3of3

Post by 3of3 »

roku was the original streaming device and that is why there is a vast library of streaming apps for it.

i have both and i agree with others that they are similar, but there are a few subtle differences i have noticed.

roku's neutrality is on display when using the search feature. roku could return multiple streaming apps (installed or not) like prime, redbox, and apple tv, ... while the firestick will return prime or starz via prime.

roku does support casting, but not every app can see the roku. on my iPhone, my hbo max app does not see my roku :oops: while my netflix app does.

full disclosure, i have chrome cast also.

tv1: roku & chromecast
tv2: firestick & chromecast

:sharebeer
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

CardinalRule wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 pm Neither have HBO Max, unfortunately.

I have used both and think they are pretty similar in terms of content and user experience. Roku is of course more neutral, in terms of Amazon content being highlighted.
There are ways around that limitation. I have Max side loaded on my Fire and have seen articles that the same is possible on Roku. Do a google search for HBO Max on the device you have.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I just find Roku to be a much more intuitive operating system and just a better user experience. I have owned the major ones Apple TV, Firestick, Roku, and I greatly preferred Roku.

The content though for any of the major streaming services is identical, but just know Amazon created the Fire for its own streaming service, so it's going to cater to that. I happen to think Amazon is the worst streaming service of the major ones out there and usually avoid it.
kabob

Post by kabob »

For those technically capable FireTV sticks are open platform, LOTS and most droid apps will run on em, ROKU is a closed sys/platform and intentionally limited to ROKU apps (put another nickle in)...
More simply, YA Gotta give ROKU a CreditCard! FireTV doesn't require one! FireSticks see & share on your wireless & local lan(network) very well (network friendly). ROKU shakey if at all... I pitched my ROKU...
kabob

Post by kabob »

BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 pm Neither have HBO Max, unfortunately.

There are ways around that limitation. I have Max side loaded on my Fire and have seen articles that the same is possible on Roku. Do a google search for HBO Max on the device you have.
It's not HBO MAX on FireStick - its HBO GO on FireSticks - works great - it even knows and shares your HBO subscription from your cable provider and gives all the same stuff on the FireStick for no extra $$$. (or HBO GO standalone)
A FrugleBogle wil prefer the FireStick, more versatile & extensible...
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

kabob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:09 pm ROKU is a closed sys/platform and intentionally limited to ROKU apps (put another nickle in)...
More simply, YA Gotta give ROKU a CreditCard! FireTV doesn't require one!
What does this mean? I use Roku without any charges to a credit card through Roku.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

kabob wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:22 pm
BuddyJet wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm

It's not HBO MAX on FireStick - its HBO GO on FireSticks - works great - it even knows and shares your HBO subscription from your cable provider and gives all the same stuff on the FireStick for no extra $$$. (or HBO GO standalone)
A FrugleBogle wil prefer the FireStick, more versatile & extensible...
HBO Go had less content than HBO Max and HBO Go is no longer available.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hbo-max-hbo-g ... -happened/
kabob

Post by kabob »

Oh yea... That's Right - HBO go -> Gone! Hoops, gotta jump thru hoops AGAIN! And AGAIN!!!
As a computer scientist this is just a Horrible implementation of seamless Computer-TV & TV-Computer integration - and All for the $$$$. What a Digital RatsNest.

Well, at least the network CableCard reciever aproach is still workin well... (but is rather complicated and has its irritating moments, takes network engineering skills to keep running smoothly)
Who knows what Tomorrow will bring.
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, We'll take carea that Tomorrow...
Last edited by kabob on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

kabob wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:54 am Oh yea... That's Right - HBO go -> Gone! Hoops, gotta jump thru hoops AGAIN! And AGAIN!!!
As a computer scientist this is just a honorable implementation of seamless Computer-TV & TV-Computer integration - and All for the $$$$. What a Digital RatsNest.

Well, at least the network CableCard reciever aproach is still workin well... (but is rather complicated and has its irritating moments, takes network engineering skills to keep running smoothly)
Who knows what Tomorrow will bring.
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, We'll take carea that Tomorrow...
The HBO Max issue isn’t a tech problem since HBO has said they have the apps for Fire and Roku ready to go. The issue is a corporate standoff over money. HBO doesn’t want to pay for platform access and the platforms want a taste of the subscription money.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I used a workaround I found on YouTube to get HBOMax on my Firesticks and my Amazon TV. Works great.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you are Amazon Prime subscribers, the Fire TV Cube or Stick makes sense. You get the Prime TV and Movie content built in.

I always choose the Cube or Box for the primary TV. It is faster (more RAM, better processor).

For Secondary TVs, the sticks are fine. Otherwise it is a 50-50 pick. The 2nd Gen Fire TV Cube is super fast.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Not to derail the topic, but thanks to BuddyJet and MDfan for information on HBO Max workarounds available from Google and YouTube.

Currently our household is using the Roku and our mobile devices are on iOS, and so this will be a little more complicated to "mirror," but this idea is promising. Not sure when the contractual disputes between HBO on one side and Roku and Amazon will be resolved. Maybe we will go back to our Firestick and sideload the HBO Max app.
Blackbird79

Post by Blackbird79 »

Even if you prefer Roku, the Firestick is a must have for travel. Via its browser it has the ability to login to a hotel’s wireless network, allowing you to use the Firestick on the rooms TV (assuming it has HDMI). I’m not sure if the Roku provides that.

On the flip side,if you have Xfinity, the Roku can replace a set top box, the Firestick can’t (at least officially).
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

I don’t have either. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney + and satellite we have plenty of options.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

re: giving Roku a credit card number-

when we set-up Roku we had to put in a credit card number. this is to pay for channels you might subscribe to through them.

once Roku is set up you can take the credit card info out. and if you don't subscribe to any channels you have to pay for you can leave it out.

if you want to subscribe to a channel you have to pay for through them you can put the credit card info back in. once you have subscribed to a channel you have to pay for you cannot delete the credit card info while the subscription is active. i am assuming you could if you did not renew any paid subscriptions and they expired.

i think you could subscribe to a channel directly through the channel's website v. doing so through Roku but i don't know that for sure and have not done that.

the description above sounds more complicated than it actually was

we have found Roku easy to set up and use.
Focus on what you can control