library ebooks not available for kindle?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

library ebooks not available for kindle?

Post by heartwood »

I want to say that I think I have the format names correct, not meaning to use the generic term ebook. I understand ebook is an actual format, different from epub or kindle formats. So when I've said ebook I mean that format type.

We're fortunate to have access to multiple public library systems. It makes for easier access for what we want to read. In the past almost all books were available in multiple formats, almost always including kindle format.

In the last month or so one library has many books only in ebook or epub formats. The ebook format can be read in Libby or the online browser, but cannot be read on kindle. The epub format can be read on Libby and online and can be converted to MOBI format and emailed to your device email at Amazon and can then be read on kindle.

We actually now prefer the Libby reader from Overdrive, so mine is a minor annoyance. It only comes into play when I have my kindle with me and not a tablet/device that supports Libby.

Does anyone know if in fact ebook format can be converted to kindle?
Cascade425

Re: library ebooks not available for kindle?

Post by Cascade425 »

If the ebook from the library is not available in Kindle format then I just request the physical book from the library. This happens maybe 1/30 times for me. Perhaps it is happening a little more now as I have heard of some licensing disputes between libraries and publishers?

I will try reading from the Libby app. I dislike reading on my phone though and do not have an iPad. I really like reading on my Kindle Paperwhite.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

heartwood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 am Does anyone know if in fact ebook format can be converted to kindle?
Google says yes:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/246323/ ... ormat.html
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am
heartwood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 am Does anyone know if in fact ebook format can be converted to kindle?
Google says yes:

The article talks about epub format. I know how to convert that format. It's the ebook format I'm asking about.

Thanks
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

I have noticed this at our library too. It's annoying. My husband has the libby app, but I don't want to read a book on a computer/phone. Our library has huge waiting lists for actual books.
Kelrex

Post by Kelrex »

I'm in Canada, and I have yet to find a way to get library books on my Kindle. I'm actually considering buying a Kobo just for that purpose.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

heartwood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:04 am
Google says yes:

The article talks about epub format. I know how to convert that format. It's the ebook format I'm asking about.

Thanks
It also converts other formats with extensions like ".lit, .mobi, .fb2, .html, .prc, .rtf, .pdb, .txt, and .pdf". What specifically is the file extension for "ebook" format?
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

heartwood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:04 am
Google says yes:

Thanks
There seem to be a couple of formats that include “ebook” in their names, but none identified on the Wikipedia page for ebook formats that is simply called “ebook.” If you’ve downloaded one of these titles, what’s the file’s extension?
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

Yes, conversion is possible. Calibre software on a PC will allow conversion to/from many formats - including Kindle. A bit of hassle until you get used to the process.

See: calibre-ebook
https://calibre-ebook.com/
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I was imprecise. On looking again I have no actual file that I can find. My library shows the book as "ebook". It also notes no Kindle version.

Once I borrow it, it appears in my Libby reader or can be read online in the browser via the library page. It seems to be an Overdrive connection there. (Libby is also an Overdrive product.)

Contrast that to epub: I borrowed an epub book a week ago. That can be converted to MOBI format and emailed to your specific kindle device email at Amazon.
It then shows up in DOCS (not BOOKS) in your kindle content list. The recommended conversion app is Calibre, but I find https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi easier.

For the ebook I don't seem to get an actual file. Perhaps it's just readable in my browser or in Libby from the cloud?
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

BoomerM3 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 am Yes, conversion is possible. Calibre software on a PC will allow conversion to/from many formats - including Kindle. A bit of hassle until you get used to the process.

See: calibre-ebook
https://calibre-ebook.com/
When the library lists "epub", I get a file I can convert. When it lists "ebook" the library does not provide a file to convert, at least one I can find. When it lists "kindle" I can read it most anywhere. So no file, nothing to convert, nothing to read on kindle.

I'm coming around to the belief my library's "ebooks" are only readable in Libby or a browser accessing the library site.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I find a physical Kindle device to be rather redundant these days.

While I don't mind electronic books, I find I prefer actual books.

If I read something electronically, I download it from Amazon in the Kindle app and read it on my phone or tablet. It syncs automatically. These books are usually purchased for my monthly book club... I haven't had good luck finding the book I need from the library; they are usually newer books.

I haven't tried Libby, but the librarian suggested it last time I was at the library.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

heartwood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 am When the library lists "epub", I get a file I can convert. When it lists "ebook" the library does not provide a file to convert, at least one I can find. When it lists "kindle" I can read it most anywhere. So no file, nothing to convert, nothing to read on kindle.

I'm coming around to the belief my library's "ebooks" are only readable in Libby or a browser accessing the library site.
I think books readable on Libby are in DRM format or digital rights management to protect copyrights. To get around that would mean breaking copyright laws.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I think if you want to use Libby comfortably you need an Android tablet or an IPad; something large enough to read but not too heavy to carry.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:40 pm I find a physical Kindle device to be rather redundant these days.

While I don't mind electronic books, I find I prefer actual books.
I read books on Kindles, iPads, and paper. Each has pros and cons. In my comfy living room chair I prefer a real old fashioned paper book. At the beach or at night in bed I prefer a Kindle (with backlight). When I am traveling just for a few days, it’s the Kindle app on my iPad to minimize the amount of stuff I have to carry with me.

(some of the advantages of a Kindle device for me are weight, screen, no overheating, and less distraction from other apps)

My local library has most digital books as Kindle ebooks, but occasionally I come across one that’s only available in non-Kindle digital formats. Not really clear why - I recently suggested a new book that they subsequently bought and made available as ePub. It is certainly available in Kindle format, too, but perhaps the format they bought was cheaper?
Bradley37

Post by Bradley37 »

I've been borrowing ebooks from my library thru Libby app, download it to my kindle thru amazon.

When the books are available or became available for download, you have an option to download it to kindle apps and devices, then it prompts you to log in in amazon.com, then there's a yellow box that says "get Library books" and a white box below "Deliver to Kindle". What happens next is as soon as you turn on your kindle with wifi, the book will just download.

One trick I discovered esp when traveling, is that I download all the books i want to read and set my kindle into "airplane mode" so that the book wont disappear from the kindle when it expires. They usually expires in 14 days.

Hope this helps.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Bradley37 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:16 pm
One trick I discovered esp when traveling, is that I download all the books i want to read and set my kindle into "airplane mode" so that the book wont disappear from the kindle when it expires. They usually expires in 14 days.
You may be able to adjust your checkout period. I use Libby through two library systems (my county and the next one over). The checkout options are 7, 14 or 21 days. The default is 14 days. I changed my settings to default to 21 days. Libby now allows you to return a book early.

And I have found that the "set to airplane mode" trick works with some titles and for different periods of time.

To OP:
I have noticed that there are a few titles that are not available for Kindle, but generally don't run into that problem. When I first started down the ebook path, Kindle was not supported by Overdrive (the system upon which Libby sits), so I went with a Nook. Is it possible that the non-Kindle titles you are finding are older ebooks that maybe never got published in a Kindle format?
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Bradley37 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:16 pm I've been borrowing ebooks from my library thru Libby app, download it to my kindle thru amazon.

When the books are available or became available for download, you have an option to download it to kindle apps and devices, then it prompts you to log in in amazon.com, then there's a yellow box that says "get Library books" and a white box below "Deliver to Kindle". What happens next is as soon as you turn on your kindle with wifi, the book will just download.

Hope this helps.
Wow, that "airplane mode" tip is very clever!!!!
Bradley37

Post by Bradley37 »

GerryL wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm
Bradley37 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:16 pm
You may be able to adjust your checkout period. I use Libby through two library systems (my county and the next one over). The checkout options are 7, 14 or 21 days. The default is 14 days. I changed my settings to default to 21 days. Libby now allows you to return a book early.

And I have found that the "set to airplane mode" trick works with some titles and for different periods of time.

Thanks for this tip.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

I think there's some confusion on formats and file types here.

"Ebook" is definitely NOT a file type, or a format. It's a generic term for any electronic book form. However, apps like Libby also use it confusingly. I'm pretty sure the issue with Libby is you just need the app, which I believe will run on most mobile devices -- phones, tablets, Kindle Fires, maybe laptops? -- but not on a Kindle e-reader, which only takes .mobi files and doesn't support apps. So if it's a Libby book, you're just out of luck on your Kindle (unless it's a Fire).
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I actually prefer to keep my library books in the Overdrive / Libby app on my Kindle Fire, instead of getting the Kindle format, even when the Kindle format is available. I don't like expired library books cluttering up my Kindle library interface.