Looking for audiophile Wireless Powered speakers suggestion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chenzi

Looking for audiophile Wireless Powered speakers suggestion

Post by chenzi »

Looking for really good active speakers and setup that can be used in my office space (not interested in separate components preferably). I have many Sonos speakers around my home for casual use - looking to upgrade my office space. My budget is upto $3K . Bonus points for connecting with macbook and also playing games in Switch.

1. Devialet Phantom Reactor 900 - ( 2 speakers in stereo mode since they sell one at a time) $1900 (on sale)- These are phenomenal and can be felt only when you see and hear them in person. They are made in France and has some impressive technology behind them. Quite an eye-catching and tech marvel! Of course, priced for that. Cons - Relatively newer company. vert few analog connectivity options and depends a lot on the phone app.
2. KEF LS50W Wireless speakers $1800 - They are pretty good, little larger for my desk but can fit in easily. They have a screen to do stuff and not app dependent. Newer versions are expected anytime. KEF - The iconic British brand was acquired by a Chinese company and these are China-made speakers. Also looked at the smaller version KEF LSX - again a lot of dependency on the app, but a decent option.
3. Klipsch Fives and Sixes $800- Made in the US, they aren't as good as KEF or Devialet or Dali.
4.Dali Calisto 2c Speakers $2K-Made in Denmark. Quite Good and traditional looks.
5. Elac Navis Powered Bookshelf speakers -$2.5K Really good high-end traditional speakers. Sounds phenomenal. Wireless options are missing and adds to the cost. But a really good contender.
6. Bowers and Wilkins formation DUO $4-5K- British Made, Great sound in every way except analog connectivity - needs an additional device. More expensive than other options.
7. Dynaudio XE10 ($1500)/XE20 ($2200) - Very good performers, made in Denmark. Plastic feeling though.
sleepysurf

Re: Looking for audiophile Wireless Powered speakers suggestion

Post by sleepysurf »

In addition to the others, I would seriously consider the Vanatoo Transparent Zero active speakers, only
$359... https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transpar ... B01N33WUJ9

I'm an audiophile, and these speakers deliver way beyond their price point. Properly set up on a desktop, they deliver superb imaging, wonderful overall tone, and suprisingly deep bass. They have myriad connection options, and a nice (albeit plastic) remote. Only downside is their kludgy protocol for option settings, and DSP adjustments, but those are pretty much set once and forget.

If you want something larger, they also make the Transparent One Encore for $599... https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transpar ... ast_sto_dp
Last edited by sleepysurf on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

What are you using for the music source? Audiophile folks on the Sonos forums don't think the major (or any) streaming service is good enough.

Also, once you buy the new speakers, you should work with a friend to do a BLIND test against the Sonos speakers.
Topic Author
chenzi

Post by chenzi »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:03 pm In addition to the others, I would seriously consider the Vanatoo Transparent Zero active speakers, only
$359... https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transpar ... B01N33WUJ9

I'm an audiophile, and these speakers deliver way beyond their price point. Properly set up on a desktop, they deliver superb imaging, wonderful overall tone, and suprisingly deep base. They have myriad connection options, and a nice (albeit plastic) remote. Only downside is their kludgy protocol for option settings, and DSP adjustments, but those are pretty much set once and forget.

If you want something larger, they also make the Transparent One Encore for $599... https://www.amazon.com/Vanatoo-Transpar ... ast_sto_dp
Thanks!
Topic Author
chenzi

Post by chenzi »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 pm What are you using for the music source? Audiophile folks on the Sonos forums don't think the major (or any) streaming service is good enough.

Also, once you buy the new speakers, you should work with a friend to do a BLIND test against the Sonos speakers.
I am upgrading to Tidal or Amazon HD. Currently in Spotify 320kpbs one.
nepats

Post by nepats »

I had Audioengine desktop speakers and they were pretty good. I hear the new A5+ powered wireless speakers are good. Amazon HD is great!
Last edited by nepats on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

chenzi wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm
prd1982 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:16 pm What are you using for the music source? Audiophile folks on the Sonos forums don't think the major (or any) streaming service is good enough.

I am upgrading to Tidal or Amazon HD. Currently in Spotify 320kpbs one.
I’ve had Amazon and Tidal. Stayed with TIDAL.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I do have the KEF LS50's though the non-wireless version. I'm quite pleased, though the thing I'd like to see is a bit better transient response - those brief very dynamic things like the "crack" of the drumstick when it first contacts a cymbal. I suppose that's a tradeoff for how smooth and natural they sound.

If the wireless version is bi-amped (I think it is) I'd expect better transients (and probably everything else too.)
Semper Augustus