Any car enthusiasts? (or soon to be)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RollDagoneTide

Any car enthusiasts? (or soon to be)

Post by RollDagoneTide »

Curious if there are any car enthusiasts on the boards or any bogleheads awaiting a certain net worth status?

I feel like I need to pay off my house and have 3 million before I purchase the Audi R8 V10.
German Expat

Re: Any car enthusiasts? (or soon to be)

Post by German Expat »

There was a discussion a while ago about supercars

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=283017

He did end up buying a white R8 (look towards the end of the posts)
midareff

Post by midareff »

I ordered my C63S AMG for my 70th b-day. Does an MB sedan with a 3.8 sec 0 - 60 time count?
gator15

Post by gator15 »

RollDagoneTide wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:59 am Curious if there are any car enthusiasts on the boards or any bogleheads awaiting a certain net worth status?

I feel like I need to pay off my house and have 3 million before I purchase the Audi R8 V10.
I went to an Audi dealership and saw one of those a couple of weeks ago. Wow, what a beautiful car. That car had a $210k price tag. I couldn’t imagine spending that much of my net worth on a car. The reason is the anxiety I would have parking and leaving that car to go into a grocery store or any place. There are people who don’t care what they do to your car and in some instances do things intentionally. I’ve had an Audi RS4 which was rear ended while parked at a grocery store. The perpetrator left the scene of the accident. I owned a RX7 which was side swiped by someone while parked and that person also led the scene of the accident. These things may not happen to you but door dings certainly may. For now Im done with cars like this because I can’t deal with the anxiety of owning one. I may reconsider if the RS4 Avant ever comes to the US.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

RollDagoneTide wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:59 am Curious if there are any car enthusiasts on the boards or any bogleheads awaiting a certain net worth status?

At the current price of those, having a 3 Million net worth before you buy it and a paid off house would be a good start!! :happy 8-) At that level, Ferrari level, or top of the Porsche level, one HAS to be at a certain high net worth status. Best of luck and even if you're not at that level there are plenty of other cars that can be had for much less. Prepare yourself for the forthcoming endless stream of suggestions as it relates to what to buy instead and the "I would never do that", and "why would you do that" posts.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've always been a car enthusiast. Although much of New England is locked down, a slightly smaller Dream Ride happened over the past weekend in Farmington, CT with mandatory masking and social distancing. Following the show, I re-enforced how much I wouldn't want to own one of the hypercars. It is enjoyable, however to go and see a near one-off Apollo next to a Maserati MC12 (essentially a Maserati bodied Ferrari F-40), 8 or so Paganis including a CCX, and various Huayras, a couple Koenigseggs, then the more pedestrian Lamborghini SVJ, La Ferraris and a gaggle of McLarens. As we were leaving, my son asked which car I would want and thinking about actually driving the thing around, I chose a white 911 GT-3. It's something I would be comfortable in and not have to be a gymnast to get in and out of (I used to have an Elise). I don't have five mil for an entry Pagani, anyways. Nor am I willing to lease ($800k down, $35k per month for 39 months then $1.2M buyout at the end of the lease).

Going forward, I'm happy to drive my son's S2000 and my Subaru Crosstrek 6 speed manual. There are plenty of practical cars these days that handle and perform well. An STi does that while having 4 doors to cart people when needed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
enoch7

Post by enoch7 »

I purchased a custom order, fully trimmed out 2019 E63s AMG after a larger than expected windfall a couple years ago. The idea of 600hp and 600lbft of torque in a common luxury sedan shell most folks wouldn’t look twice at really appealed to me in a “treat yo self” purchase. I had the whole thing wrapped and debadged before it had 50 miles on it. I love the car but have since realized I would have rather leased a nice daily driver and focused my energy on finding an old 80s/90s low miles manual without all the computers to purchase and baby instead.

Not sure about the R8 but, on the MB side, unless you’re in a black series or E-series wagon, these cars depreciate faster than almost anything. I’m not worried about the money but there’s something rewarding about keeping an appreciating car super clean and maintained. Being a maintenance freak is in my nature but it’s hard to get excited about it when the thing is losing value and enthusiast interest by the day. I’ve realized I’m more into this aspect than raw performance or bleeding edge technological ability.

Cars I’m currently excited about include late 90s NA2 Acura NSXs (with pop up head lights), Porsche 993s, 2nd+3rd gen Toyota Supras (with popup headlights), Datsun 240 and 280 Z cars, MB SL500s, etc. Clean examples aren’t cheap but with a new R8 budget you have a ton of really great modern classics guaranteed to appreciate within reach and you could lease the latest basic Audi every three years on top to daily.

I suppose I don’t want a take back on the monster E63s AMG. It’s been a very rewarding experience. I could go a different way and be just as happy and maybe have a little more fun, though.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

This post triggered a few old neurons! Came of age in the early 70's and had a 1971 Mustang gt500 shelby, what a beautiful looking car. Fast as long as you were going in a straight line..... ran it into the ground as a teen.... 😣
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

midareff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:04 am I ordered my C63S AMG for my 70th b-day. Does an MB sedan with a 3.8 sec 0 - 60 time count?
Wow!!!!!

j😀
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

No, none :wink:

Just kidding, some of the longest running posts on the forum involve cars!
ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender »

Dream car is a Dodge Viper. Currently money is earmarked for a new house, however, it is fair game after that.

IMO, if you are meeting your investment goals (retirement accounts, 529's, etc) then treat yourself, within reason, regardless of net worth. In the end, you only have one life to live

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

gator15 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am

I went to an Audi dealership and saw one of those a couple of weeks ago. Wow, what a beautiful car. That car had a $210k price tag. I couldn’t imagine spending that much of my net worth on a car. The reason is the anxiety I would have parking and leaving that car to go into a grocery store or any place. There are people who don’t care what they do to your car and in some instances do things intentionally. I’ve had an Audi RS4 which was rear ended while parked at a grocery store. The perpetrator left the scene of the accident. I owned a RX7 which was side swiped by someone while parked and that person also led the scene of the accident. These things may not happen to you but door dings certainly may. For now Im done with cars like this because I can’t deal with the anxiety of owning one. I may reconsider if the RS4 Avant ever comes to the US.
One of my best friends, who ironically is a financial planner, has a '20 R8 in his garage. His wife's daily is a Porsche Cayenne turbo S hybrid and his daily is an Audi RS3. In the garage is also a $150k boat, jet skis, side-by-sides, and an F-350 to tow everything. He makes a ton of money and he's not gun-shy spending it.

I'm a major gearhead, but I can't even get myself to even buy the $4k e-assist bike the wife and I agreed I'd get when we hit a major financial milestone. We share a single car that we bought new for <1 month's income, I just can't get myself to spend so much on something I actively try to not use and I know (logically) won't hardly tip the needle at all on QOL. I'll stick to the occasional ride in my buddy's cars and my brother's Porsches.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

You don't need to buy an exotic to be a car enthusiast!

Go to a local autocross or track day, and you will often find find cars like modified Miatas and S2000s running up on the tail of high priced exotics. $20k and some quality wrenching time can easily build a car that will keep up with an R8. It may not be as pretty or as reliable, but speed doesn't require that. If you don't want to build something, Ford GT350s are dropping into the high $30k range.
Last edited by alfaspider on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:28 am You don't need to buy an exotic to be a car enthusiast!

Go to a local autocross or track day, and you will often find find cars like modified Miatas and S2000s running up on the tail of high priced exotics. $20k and some quality wrenching time can easily build a car that will keep up with an R8. It may not be as pretty or as reliable, but speed doesn't require that. If you don't want to build something, Ford FT350s are dropping into the high $30k range.
"You don't need to buy an exotic to be a car enthusiast!"
Exactly - but my thoughts of a car enthusiast includes turning a wrench from time to time.
We all view this very differently.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

3: 0-60 3.2

Or wait for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9JQAkcYak
Pale Blue Dot
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

We recently bought my wife's dream car (classic - which I won't list because it could identify me), after years of looking. It was expensive, but at the end of the day it should hold value, and potentially increase, as the years go on. I dream of owning a Porsche 911 GT2 or GT3, so I'm thinking I'll need a $2 or $3MM net worth to justify the purchase. We'll see how the next 10-15 years work out.
VTI and chill until 57...
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

Lots of car enthusiasts on the forum, most of them restrain their expensive car urge to some degree. I made the mistake as a high earner / low saver years ago of buying expensive cars, now I daily drive a Honda Accord which cost me about a month's salary new. I'll get back into the luxury car world when I hit my number and not before. I don't take it as far as daily driving beaters with 100+k miles like some here but the nicest Honda on the lot does fine for me.

I will admit I bought a used Miata MX-5 to get my sports car fix on the weekends--rear wheel drive, manual transmission, cheap to maintain and insure. My peers with similar incomes have 911 GT3s as their fun weekend car so that's how I justify the modest purchase.
Last edited by eye.surgeon on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Watty

Post by Watty »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:28 am You don't need to buy an exotic to be a car enthusiast!

Go to a local autocross or track day, and you will often find find cars like modified Miatas and S2000s running up on the tail of high priced exotics. $20k and some quality wrenching time can easily build a car that will keep up with an R8. It may not be as pretty or as reliable, but speed doesn't require that. If you don't want to build something, Ford GT350s are dropping into the high $30k range.
You don't even need to race them to be a car enthusiast. I know someone that tinkers with old VW Vans as their hobby.

I am not any of them but there is also a big difference between a car enthusiast, a car collector, and someone that wears expensive cars like a piece of jewelry.

Being a car enthusiast can be done at very affordable levels.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

Yeah "car enthusiast" is a bit open to interpretation right?
Most people have no ideas what's under the hood, etc. The same can be said of higher end cars.

I would consider myself a car enthusiast.
Whether or not I ever own a sports car is dependent on my financial goals, but not necessarily tied to a certain Net Worth.
And its not at the top of my list.
tryingtogetahead

Post by tryingtogetahead »

DW and I are mid/late 30s, MCOL area, household income mid 500s/yr and NW approaching 3.3mm. We drive 2 economy Japanese leased cars for $200/month each. I am blown away that a forum like BH that is focused on wealth creation and frugality would have a thread like this so focused on buying upmarket cars. DW and I are toying with maybe getting a Volvo XC90 or Lexus RX family car once one of the current leases is up in a year for $500-600/month and that concerns us. As a long time FS reader (see link below), we have long conformed to the 1/10 of income on all cars rule. What I don’t understand from some of the posts above is, if you are leasing a Porsche or Maserati or RR, you can easily spend $1,500/month. Our 550k gross is more like 400k tops net. Even including 401k and all that, you’re taking about spending 4.5% of your gross on a car lease? That is not concerning to folks on this forum, especially those who may earn less?

https://www.financialsamurai.com/the-11 ... st-follow/
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Watty wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:06 am

You don't even need to race them to be a car enthusiast. I know someone that tinkers with old VW Vans as their hobby.

I am not any of them but there is also a big difference between a car enthusiast, a car collector, and someone that wears expensive cars like a piece of jewelry.

Being a car enthusiast can be done at very affordable levels.
Fair, there are many different flavors of car enthusiasm. But if you think you need to spend six figures to be one, I humbly submit that you are more of a luxury goods enthusiast.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Did anyone see Jay Leno’s garage when the guy with the old Honda something or the other from the 60s with a CBR motorcycle engine....Waaaaaaay cool and looked to be a tremendous amount of fun. Jay seemed to be having tons of fun driving it..I think the guy said he had about $5k? in it. Got me thinking... just how much more fun can jay really have driving his McClaren or ...you name it exotic. I have fun with the few old things I have in the barn but can’t help but think of how poor of an investment (in general) cars are compared to the sp500 although much more entertaining to people like me.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

Recently sold my 1969 Convertible Cutlass S. Now I go to bringatrailer.com every day looking for something new! Love the cars. $10K - $1M.....there's a cool car for everyone...….
JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH »

I just purchased an '18 Shelby GT350 to join the X5M in the garage. So far it's a ton of fun; hoping to hit some HPDE's in the near future.

I'm sure in the opinion of many on this board, my net worth wouldn't be enough to justify the purchase, but I would rather work an extra year or two and enjoy my hobby in the meantime. Worst case, i can sell the car for a loss which would be relatively immaterial in the grand scheme.
klondike

Post by klondike »

They way I enjoy cars is different. I like to take care of my own cars. I love some of these supercars but I will not own them before I build my own barn with a lift.

For those supercar, there are too many regular maintenance jobs require engine/tranny out to perform. For example, on a Bentley Continental, you need to drop the engine and tranny to replace a cat, or fix some $100 vacuum hoses. You need to drop the entire powertrain to replace a clutch on a Lamborghini.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You have to define car enthusiast. Most car enthusiasts don't own especially expensive cars or otherwise spend huge amounts on the hobby.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I have a Nissan GTR which is a very fun car to drive...reliable, good street manners and it will eat just about anything else up for lunch. I acutally drive it back and worth to work once in a while...all wheel drive and great in the rain also...easy to get serviced as well. Not a bank breaker...
Afty

Post by Afty »

I'll throw out a recommendation for a performance driving school. They are a lot of fun and let you scratch your car enthusiast itch without the cost and hassle of owning an expensive, rarely driven car. There's nothing better than driving someone else's sports car hard on a track. :D
Beach

Post by Beach »

tryingtogetahead wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 am DW and I are mid/late 30s, MCOL area, household income mid 500s/yr and NW approaching 3.3mm. We drive 2 economy Japanese leased cars for $200/month each. I am blown away that a forum like BH that is focused on wealth creation and frugality would have a thread like this so focused on buying upmarket cars. DW and I are toying with maybe getting a Volvo XC90 or Lexus RX family car once one of the current leases is up in a year for $500-600/month and that concerns us. As a long time FS reader (see link below), we have long conformed to the 1/10 of income on all cars rule. What I don’t understand from some of the posts above is, if you are leasing a Porsche or Maserati or RR, you can easily spend $1,500/month. Our 550k gross is more like 400k tops net. Even including 401k and all that, you’re taking about spending 4.5% of your gross on a car lease? That is not concerning to folks on this forum, especially those who may earn less?

Not everybody has the same priorities. I overpay for my mortgage because its what is important to me.

If I had a cheaper house, I could afford a fancy car. Its all about choices.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

eye.surgeon wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:01 am I will admit I bought a used Miata MX-5 to get my sports car fix on the weekends--rear wheel drive, manual transmission, cheap to maintain and insure. My peers with similar incomes have 911 GT3s as their fun weekend car so that's how I justify the modest purchase.
The older Miatas/MX-5s are amazingly affordable, even in good shape, especially if you are willing (or eager) to do a little minor cosmetic and mechanical work on them yourself.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tryingtogetahead wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:12 am DW and I are mid/late 30s, MCOL area, household income mid 500s/yr and NW approaching 3.3mm. We drive 2 economy Japanese leased cars for $200/month each. I am blown away that a forum like BH that is focused on wealth creation and frugality would have a thread like this so focused on buying upmarket cars. DW and I are toying with maybe getting a Volvo XC90 or Lexus RX family car once one of the current leases is up in a year for $500-600/month and that concerns us. As a long time FS reader (see link below), we have long conformed to the 1/10 of income on all cars rule. What I don’t understand from some of the posts above is, if you are leasing a Porsche or Maserati or RR, you can easily spend $1,500/month. Our 550k gross is more like 400k tops net. Even including 401k and all that, you’re taking about spending 4.5% of your gross on a car lease? That is not concerning to folks on this forum, especially those who may earn less?

"I am blown away that a forum like BH that is focused on wealth creation and frugality would have a thread like this so focused on buying upmarket cars."
Makes perfect sense if you are not a car enthusiast. But at some point your funds will be spent on something so hopefully whatever that is it will bring you happiness in some or many ways.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

gator15 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 amI may reconsider if the RS4 Avant ever comes to the US.
RS6 Avant is supposed to be headed here.
finanzfrau

Post by finanzfrau »

We live in a HCOL and like watching the cars around us.
We had a Saab for 12+ years. We just went hybrid with a Volt.
We have an MGB midget which needs some care.
We recently saw a Porsche Taycan Turbo and a Ford Mustang Mach-E charging nearby.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

How about a Rolls Canardly?....It rolls downhill, and can hardly make it up the other side!
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

I would imagine most car enthusiasts don't buy new cars, especially those on BH. Folks here would probably shop for a 3 year old example for half the cost or even older for better deals.
fundus

Post by fundus »

DetroitAvant wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 pm
gator15 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 amI may reconsider if the RS4 Avant ever comes to the US.
No way. I'd love that , but I'll believe it when I see it.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

fundus wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:07 pm
DetroitAvant wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:00 pm
No way. I'd love that , but I'll believe it when I see it.
On the Audi USA site even:

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-rs6-avant
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

DetroitAvant wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:10 pm On the Audi USA site even:

Now it just needs a 6MT. :mrgreen:
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm
DetroitAvant wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:10 pm On the Audi USA site even:

Now it just needs a 6MT. :mrgreen:
And here I thought you were in line for an automatic next.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

smitcat wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm And here I thought you were in line for an automatic next.
I am....<sigh> We can't have everything we want, and I've wanted a mid-engined Vette since I was like 5. Compromises must unfortunately be made.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 pm

You have to define car enthusiast. Most car enthusiasts don't own especially expensive cars or otherwise spend huge amounts on the hobby.
+1 I consider myself a car enthusiast but would never drop six figures on a car. I would rather rent one for awhile to get it out of my system and use my wealth in other ways that provide benefit to me and those around me.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:13 am
gator15 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am

One of my best friends, who ironically is a financial planner, has a '20 R8 in his garage. His wife's daily is a Porsche Cayenne turbo S hybrid and his daily is an Audi RS3. In the garage is also a $150k boat, jet skis, side-by-sides, and an F-350 to tow everything. He makes a ton of money and he's not gun-shy spending it.

I'm a major gearhead, but I can't even get myself to even buy the $4k e-assist bike the wife and I agreed I'd get when we hit a major financial milestone. We share a single car that we bought new for <1 month's income, I just can't get myself to spend so much on something I actively try to not use and I know (logically) won't hardly tip the needle at all on QOL. I'll stick to the occasional ride in my buddy's cars and my brother's Porsches.
So you need to ask him, "where are his clients yachts"? (Garage full of cars, summer place, airplanes, etc. or whatever) Old quip, but apparently still true.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:59 pm
tibbitts wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 pm

+1 I consider myself a car enthusiast but would never drop six figures on a car. I would rather rent one for awhile to get it out of my system and use my wealth in other ways that provide benefit to me and those around me.
+1
There was a time in my youth for, drag bikes, hemi’s, street rods, Classics, and sports cars.
Including:
65 Mustang Fastback
70 Pontiac Gto
426 Hemi Roadrunner
Austin Healy M K III
Triumph TR4A IRS, Spitfires, MGB’s
Miata’s
Etc.

Now, as fellow retirees spend on new Porsche’s, Rubicons, Bus size RV’s, and other toys, I find less of an attraction to spend hard earned dollars on such things...although I’m still a gear head and car enthusiast.

Met an old friend who had classic vintage blown street rod “gassers” and still raced and showed cars. He was selling a big block 66 Chevy Nova. I was tempted...for a few minutes. But declined. No air conditioning.

Mustangs with IRS are suppose to be coming out.
j😀
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Rifampin

Post by Rifampin »

Enthusiast here. I have owned the following cars for less than $15k and even made money off some:
1995 BMW M3
2004 BMW M3
2002 Honda S2000
2015 Volkswagen GTI
2006 Porsche Cayman S

Next on the list is either a Cayman GT4 or Lotus Evora 400.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

Cayman S is a solid choice.

On my radar now.
rob

Post by rob »

jello_nailer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:09 pm Cayman S is a solid choice.

On my radar now.
Like most groups of people, you scratch the surface and find petrol heads.... This group does tend to jump over the $5K cars thought.

Yeah... I've been looking at these pretty seriously - I'm not a rag top person and the 911 does not do it for me (yeah I know... it's sacrilege in most circles on both counts).... Brand new is out on budget but trying to decide between the flat 6/older/3-gen and 4 turbo/newer./4-gen... They are both great to drive but very different - In an ideal world, I would have both so I could pick depending on mood :D Part of me also loves the c8 but VERY different type of car and a tad higher price right now since would have to be new (I don't like the older front engine models) - have not driven it yet but on the list before pulling the trigger.

There are some great older "driver" cars and always the new hard top Mazda... although my feet are too big to comfortably drive the stick version with regular shoes making it less than practical :D.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Also a car enthusiast. I own a few "regular" cars, & like to take care of them myself. Educational, money savings, & enjoyable. No specific not worth needed to get started.

I'm working on 2 cars with check engine lights on. And they're winning so far.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:50 pm
smitcat wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm And here I thought you were in line for an automatic next.
I am....<sigh> We can't have everything we want, and I've wanted a mid-engined Vette since I was like 5. Compromises must unfortunately be made.
I agree with you 100% - the new trans are completely superior you will not regret the choice at all.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Enthusiast cars don't have to be expensive. Every weekend, amateur racers hit the track for fun, points, maybe a trophy. More Miatas hit the track than any other car. It's quite easy to find a street Miata for well under $5k. A track prep'd one, under $10k.

When I bought my former SCCA ITA racecar, I paid $4k for it. I had to back a second time to pick up all the spares that came with the car. 3 sets of wheels/tires, a spare engine, lots of body panels etc. This was an 87 Honda CRX-Si that had documented lap times. At 2 tracks, where I owned the track record in our time trial club in showroom stock A with a 90 BMW M3, his times were faster. That's with a 90 hp D15 stock engine. I had fun with the car on the track for 5 years on a single set of brake pads! Yes, the brakes were upgraded to stock integra fronts and swapped Integra rear disks. I instructed for a dozen years on the track.

I've moved on to....of all things....offroading in my 14 Wrangler 4 door.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

There are a couple of vehicles I've been looking at --- namely the GT350, GT500, and C8 ---- as a toy car. I really liked the GT350 voodoo engine as a NA FPC with tremec tranny, but too many blown engines running a stock engine. It's been a problematic car to say the least and new engines are about $20k without labor. I'd be potentially owning it for a while considering I think NA V8's are going to extinction when electric gives you better speed for the price. But, acceleration is just "bzzzzzzzzzzzz" and you don't get the auditory orgasm. I'm really not keen on having to buy an extended service warranty on a new car to simply sleep better at night for something that should not be problematic.

The C8 interests me as well, but I want to see how the market moves on that one. I'd be okay paying sticker, but I'm curious what the down the road models and z06 and other packages look like.

Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche ownership does not really interest me nor acquiring an older Aston Martin or Bentley coupe. I'd prefer to buy new, but can't really justify the aforementioned as new vehicles as I'm unlikely to order a configuration that would be steady or appreciate.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.