Cord cutting 2020 - Youtube TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OnceARunner

Re: Cord cutting 2020 - Youtube TV

Post by OnceARunner »

RubyTuesday wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:16 pm The unlimited DVR on YTTV should be great, but is poorly implemented. For example, it doesn’t remember where you were in the show if you change to something else. Also, the price has increased while channels have been dropped. We’re still with them but will be looking at options soon.
Mine remembers where I left off any show. Are you sure you have "watch history" turned on in the settings of your google account?
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

How much are you paying for cable now? Personally, $65/month is too expensive to spend on TV but we're not much into TV to begin with. We have a fire stick and do Netflix, amazon prime video, and basic cable for less than 1/2 that price.
Light weight baby!
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

OnceARunner wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:24 am
RubyTuesday wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:16 pm The unlimited DVR on YTTV should be great, but is poorly implemented. For example, it doesn’t remember where you were in the show if you change to something else. Also, the price has increased while channels have been dropped. We’re still with them but will be looking at options soon.
Mine remembers where I left off any show. Are you sure you have "watch history" turned on in the settings of your google account?
Ha! That’s probably the issue. IIRC I have all history turned off in my google account for privacy. I’ll revisit that decision.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

RubyTuesday wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 am
OnceARunner wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:24 am
Ha! That’s probably the issue. IIRC I have all history turned off in my google account for privacy. I’ll revisit that decision.
Understandable, I figured that may be it because had the exact same experience as I also had everything turned off. When I got YouTubeTV I had to turn some of them back on.
retire14

Post by retire14 »

We have YTTV. Like it a lot. It has the local channel and recording events are very easy.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Set up a chat session at Frontier this morning to see what they could do for internet only service.

Did a fan dance with a rep for awhile, but grew weary so I shut him down.

Then I called into Frontier, and was able to get a matched internet price equal to another internet provider I was considering, so I will keep Frontier FiOS internet service only, and re-evaluate in a year. No contract, but price guaranteed for 12 months.

I preferred this route, as anytime people do installs you hope everything works afterward.

This was simply a billing change, the order is already in and completed. Return boxes with postage for equipment will be sent, easy peasy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

jhawktx wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:43 pm
GR8FUL-D wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:56 am
arf30 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:52 am We did the free trial plus another month - the service is very good but too expensive. We might try Philo next, it's only $20 but doesn't include sports.
I signed up for a free 2 week trial but just couldn't deal w/ all the commercials; $65/month AND I have to watch commercials?!? No thanks...
Whoa! I was getting excited about YouTube TV reading this thread...until this. So if you record a program and watch it later, you can't fast forward through commercials?! If that is the case I wouldn't do YouTube TV even if it was $5/month.
You can skip commercials for anything you DVR. The person you are quoting must have been watching On-Demand programing, which does have commercials that can't be skipped.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

toofache32 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 pm I went from Direct Tv almost a year ago to Youtube TV because I felt like there were so many useless channels I didn't watch. But now I wish I had Direct TV back because Youtube is too far in the other direction. Youtube TV seems to time commercials on every channel at the same time while I don't remember this happening with Direct TV. Also, most of the sports on Youtube are replays of old games even during times when other games are going on they don't air. On the good side, I like the user interface which is easy and the picture quality is very good.

YouTubeTV is simply broadcasting to you what the channels are showing. They have zero control over the timing of commercials. If ESPN is at commercial break on DirecTV, it is also on commercial break on YouTubeTV and vice-versa.

Same with the sporting events. I'm unsure what you mean by showing replays of old games instead of the current ones. They are showing whatever is on ESPN, Fox Sports, MLB Network, etc...exact same as DirecTV. IF you have the same channels, you have the same programing.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

OnceARunner wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:33 am You can skip commercials for anything you DVR. The person you are quoting must have been watching On-Demand programing, which does have commercials that can't be skipped.
Unless you luck out and YTTV doesn't have a commercial load for that particular show....then the VOD version just jumps directly to the next segment. There were a couple of shows that were this way over the summer, and I watched the VOD program instead of my DVR recordings for just this reason. But yes, it's pretty rare.
Broken Man 1999

I've seen a info screen put up stating a commercial break, but no actual commercial displayed.

So, you might or might not see an actual commercial during a commercial break, but you will know nothing is wrong with your service.

I'm really pleased with the picture quality of YouTubeTV, exceeds my expectations. Much better picture quality than we received via cable. And on my TV in my bedroom, it is nice to use Alexa and my voice to find and display the channel I want to watch.

Happy so far with the cable cutting results. DW is struggling a bit, but she will figure things out sooner or later, just a steeper learning curve for her.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda......

Oh well, as I said before, the cable companies depend on customer inertia, I have been guilty of inertia, myself. Dumb, dumb, dumb! :oops:

Next up. is working to cut our domain costs. All we have is two email accounts, DW never built a website. Not as much opportunity as cutting the cable cord, but a few bucks here and there will help buy me a couple of six-packs of beer and a couple of cigars in 2021.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

I had YouTube TV, only thing of value was live sports.

I decided that even that wasn’t worth it.

I now use the Channels DVR and Channels App on our AppleTV. I use an OTA antenna, and I get the 4 major networks recorded on my “home made” DVR (a Synology NAS / an old PC or MacMini would work great too). The subscription is $80 a year and it will analyze a recording to make it easy to skip commercials.

I don’t miss YouTube TV at all.

We have plenty of content to watch. Live sports on the OTA channels (NFL, college FB and BB games, and all the big events like NHL finals, Olympics, etc) or some games on ESPN+. Netflix, Prime Video and my “free” HBO Max and Disney+ that come with my AT&T Internet and Verizon Wireless service provide a crazy amount of content.

I hope someday that ESPN+ expands to full ESPN as a separate subscription, but I’m never going back to a TV service.

All of these are just apps on my AppleTV. My wife loves it. We never have to switch “inputs”. It’s really quite easy to use.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Love YTTV. Saving me a good bit of money as opposed to the FIOS we used to have. Love the unlimited DVR. I don't mind paying $65 (plus extra for premiums) for TV. Especially now when there's little else to do.
RJC

Post by RJC »

$65 + high speed internet adds up to be the same price as cable 5 years ago with the same channels.

Is cutting the cord really saving us money?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Willmunny wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:50 am I am moving soon and I would like this to be the last cable box I own. The problem is I am a live sports fan and I want to keep ESPN and other sports networks. It looks like Youtube TV has what I want in terms of channels. I could use that along with an Amazon Fire Stick. The $65 per month is less than I am paying now for Cable. If you have tried it, I would be interested in your thoughts on the service. Thanks
We moved from cable a couple of years ago to Hulu + Hulu Live TV. Was $39 and now I believe $65. Getting close to cable. It is the sports.

Still I like the DVR in cloud, a simple Apple TV with small remote, and not cable boxes or remote with 153 buttons to push.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I signed up for YouTube TV back when it cost $35, endured several price increases, and finally switched to Hulu with Live TV at the time of YouTube's most recent price increase. Hulu isn't nearly as good as YouTube TV (terrible interface, frequent service glitches, fast forward/rewind/review all go sideways whenever the service thinks a commercial break is involved even if sometimes there actually isn't one, etc), but I sucked it up because I was saving money over YouTube. Well, Hulu with Live TV is raising its prices to match YouTube, so I'm probably switching back.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:05 pm I signed up for YouTube TV back when it cost $35, endured several price increases, and finally switched to Hulu with Live TV at the time of YouTube's most recent price increase. Hulu isn't nearly as good as YouTube TV (terrible interface, frequent service glitches, fast forward/rewind/review all go sideways whenever the service thinks a commercial break is involved even if sometimes there actually isn't one, etc), but I sucked it up because I was saving money over YouTube. Well, Hulu with Live TV is raising its prices to match YouTube, so I'm probably switching back.
Have you looked into fuboTV or att now?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

RJC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:23 pm $65 + high speed internet adds up to be the same price as cable 5 years ago with the same channels.

I am curious about this too. I have cable and have thought about switching to YouTube TV but am not seeing where the savings come from.

We have the AT&T U-Verse 200 package (includes hundreds of channels) with 300mps Internet (unlimited data). The service includes HD, DVR with plenty of capacity, and two boxes. We have also added HBO Max which costs $9.99/month through AT&T. The total bill, with taxes and fees, is about $110/month. Without HBO, the bill would be roughly $100.

How much does the total come to when paying for Internet separately and adding YouTube TV?
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

I had expected this to be about firewood.
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:46 am
RJC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:23 pm $65 + high speed internet adds up to be the same price as cable 5 years ago with the same channels.

I am curious about this too. I have cable and have thought about switching to YouTube TV but am not seeing where the savings come from.

We have the AT&T U-Verse 200 package (includes hundreds of channels) with 300mps Internet (unlimited data). The service includes HD, DVR with plenty of capacity, and two boxes. We have also added HBO Max which costs $9.99/month through AT&T. The total bill, with taxes and fees, is about $110/month. Without HBO, the bill would be roughly $100.

How much does the total come to when paying for Internet separately and adding YouTube TV?
Are you on a 2 year plan? Often we see good deals and the second year prices triple. For us we have 1 gig fiber with HBO Max for $40 a month. We stream ATT now (grandfather plan) with all taxes & fees included for $60. We can get a TV plan for that for a year but in year 2 the TV plan jumps to $110.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Are you on a 2 year plan? Often we see good deals and the second year prices triple. For us we have 1 gig fiber with HBO Max for $40 a month. We stream ATT now (grandfather plan) with all taxes & fees included for $60. We can get a TV plan for that for a year but in year 2 the TV plan jumps to $110.
No, we're not on a two year plan. We're not on any sort of contract but the promotions do expire after 12 months. I call annually in November to renegotiate with their retention department. It is not the most fun half hour I spend during the year but is worthwhile. Our cable/Internet bill has gone down each of the past three years. The cable tv channels have stayed the same and Internet speed has gone up during that time period. From what I understand, during the same timeframe, the opposite has happened with streaming. For example, I watch the Tennis Channel and YouTube TV will no longer by offering that and has raised their prices from $35/month to $40/month to $50/month to $65/month. I was honestly looking to save money by streaming and am not a big proponent of cable TV or anything like that. I have no loyalties and just want to save a few bucks if possible. I am simply not finding those savings these days.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

We saved because we had a couple of DVR boxes and another standard box. Saving on equipment fees and channel package to get the channels I want saved us about $50 a month. YTTV is by far the best for sports fans and I a a big college basketball fan so some channels are a must have. YTTV has all of them. Love having no boxes or remotes.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

We switched to UTTV two years ago and although we love it we might be going back to cable in January unless UTTV can resolve their issues with the local Fox Sports channels. I am a big hockey fan and my team, The Columbus Blue Jackets, are broadcast on Fox Sports Ohio.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

MDfan wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:09 pm

We saved because we had a couple of DVR boxes and another standard box. Saving on equipment fees and channel package to get the channels I want saved us about $50 a month. YTTV is by far the best for sports fans and I a a big college basketball fan so some channels are a must have. YTTV has all of them. Love having no boxes or remotes.
As of last month, they no longer have The Tennis Channel, and that’s a deal breaker for me. Even if it weren’t, I’m not sure I’d save any money by switching. Not including HBO, I pay $100/month for cable TV and fast, unlimited Internet. YTTV is $65. Wouldn’t Internet by itself exceed $35/month? I need fast speed for daily video meetings. I’m just not sure where the savings are, at least for me (and this ignores that YTTV no longer has the one sports channel I would want).
Broken Man 1999

Same here.

What was driving our cable bill was having 6 TVs, as DW thought we needed a TV darn near everywhere . Cutting out 4 cable boxes and a DVR from the cable company was big. Plus now a bedroom that didn't have a cable box can get everything all the rest of the TVs get. Before our poor guests had to suffer having only Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. I told DW that if we made the guests too comfortable they might stay too long! :oops:

Two smart TVs, and four TVs with Amazon Fire Sticks. All TVs with one remote each, now. All work great, I especially !ike the Fire Sticks you can operate via voice.

The only TV lacking voice control is my garage TV, it has Roku built in, but no voice control. I could put a Fire Stick there to have voice control, but that would be an overkill.

Actually, I think having 6 TVs is an overkill no matter what service we have. DW is a generous host.

Broken Man 1999
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:36 pm
Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:10 pm

No, we're not on a two year plan. We're not on any sort of contract but the promotions do expire after 12 months. I call annually in November to renegotiate with their retention department. It is not the most fun half hour I spend during the year but is worthwhile. Our cable/Internet bill has gone down each of the past three years. The cable tv channels have stayed the same and Internet speed has gone up during that time period. From what I understand, during the same timeframe, the opposite has happened with streaming. For example, I watch the Tennis Channel and YouTube TV will no longer by offering that and has raised their prices from $35/month to $40/month to $50/month to $65/month. I was honestly looking to save money by streaming and am not a big proponent of cable TV or anything like that. I have no loyalties and just want to save a few bucks if possible. I am simply not finding those savings these days.
At least in our area everything is a 2 year plan with rates, fees and equipment rental doubles the cost of our streaming. If it was the same for us I totally agree with you.

We could go cheap internet, OTA antenna & Philio for $50 a month but the $100 a month for gig internet and every channel we want is acceptable.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 pm

As of last month, they no longer have The Tennis Channel, and that’s a deal breaker for me. Even if it weren’t, I’m not sure I’d save any money by switching. Not including HBO, I pay $100/month for cable TV and fast, unlimited Internet. YTTV is $65. Wouldn’t Internet by itself exceed $35/month? I need fast speed for daily video meetings. I’m just not sure where the savings are, at least for me (and this ignores that YTTV no longer has the one sports channel I would want).
I think the last tennis match I watched may have involved Boris Becker. I’d be paying for internet with cable, too. I think I pay about $135 total for everything w/ 2 premium channels. With Fios, our bill was about $189.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Our internet (Fios 200/200) is 39.99/month. Add YouTubeTV and it goes up over $100.

All that and you still get commercials. Welcome to 2015.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

MDfan wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm

I think the last tennis match I watched may have involved Boris Becker. I’d be paying for internet with cable, too. I think I pay about $135 total for everything w/ 2 premium channels. With Fios, our bill was about $189.
Those Boris Becker days were good ones. It sounds like some people are able to both find savings and get the channels they want by switching to streaming. I suppose I'm not in that category and that's totally fine since my cable + Internet is doing the trick at $100 per month.

YTTV has gone from $35 in 2017 to $65 in 2020 and I wonder if that rate of price increases is going to slow down anytime soon. If not, I think more people may eventually find themselves in the same group that I'm in - unable to save much by streaming instead of going with cable. YTTV does seem like a very good service, though.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:34 pm
MDfan wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Those Boris Becker days were good ones. It sounds like some people are able to both find savings and get the channels they want by switching to streaming. I suppose I'm not in that category and that's totally fine since my cable + Internet is doing the trick at $100 per month.

YTTV has gone from $35 in 2017 to $65 in 2020 and I wonder if that rate of price increases is going to slow down anytime soon. If not, I think more people may eventually find themselves in the same group that I'm in - unable to save much by streaming instead of going with cable. YTTV does seem like a very good service, though.

Certainly, if they keep raising prices, the justification for switching will diminish. Right now, for me, not having to pay monthly for equipment is making it worth it.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:18 am
FedGuy wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:05 pm I signed up for YouTube TV back when it cost $35, endured several price increases, and finally switched to Hulu with Live TV at the time of YouTube's most recent price increase. Hulu isn't nearly as good as YouTube TV (terrible interface, frequent service glitches, fast forward/rewind/review all go sideways whenever the service thinks a commercial break is involved even if sometimes there actually isn't one, etc), but I sucked it up because I was saving money over YouTube. Well, Hulu with Live TV is raising its prices to match YouTube, so I'm probably switching back.
Thanks, Manatee2005. Based on your suggestion I looked into both other services. I ruled out fuboTV because it doesn't have CNN/TNT/TBS, which I watch fairly often. I signed up for a one week free trial of ATT&T Now, but I'm probably not going to continue it. I watch a lot of live TV (including a lot of news), and it doesn't seem to let you rewind/review live TV. I use that feature fairly frequently if I miss something either because my mind wanders or because I'm doing something else with the TV on in the background. The inability to jump back bothers me enough that giving it up is probably not worth the savings to me.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Just passed the 1-year mark with YTTV. Never ever going back to cable. There are a couple of local channels that have content we like that are not included, so we bought an Amazon Fire Recast DVR to record them off of antenna. One-time charge of $180 for a 4-tuner, 1TB DVR with no subscription fees. I think the 2-tuner 500GB version is sometimes available as cheap as $130.
I'm considering an Amazon Fire Recast DVR but have read that an Amazon Fire Stick is required for use. Is that true? I will use it with a roof antenna and Sony Smart TV. All I intend to do is record local (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc) channels. So, why a Fire Stick, if that's true?
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

OldOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:05 am
Just passed the 1-year mark with YTTV. Never ever going back to cable. There are a couple of local channels that have content we like that are not included, so we bought an Amazon Fire Recast DVR to record them off of antenna. One-time charge of $180 for a 4-tuner, 1TB DVR with no subscription fees. I think the 2-tuner 500GB version is sometimes available as cheap as $130.
I'm considering an Amazon Fire Recast DVR but have read that an Amazon Fire Stick is required for use. Is that true? I will use it with a roof antenna and Sony Smart TV. All I intend to do is record local (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc) channels. So, why a Fire Stick, if that's true?
the Recast is a networked device. You view on the Fire Stick/Cube @720p in stereo. Look for a used Tivo for OTA recording. They're great for that. Or if you're into techish things HDHomeRun
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

OldOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:05 am I'm considering an Amazon Fire Recast DVR but have read that an Amazon Fire Stick is required for use. Is that true? I will use it with a roof antenna and Sony Smart TV. All I intend to do is record local (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc) channels. So, why a Fire Stick, if that's true?
You need a Fire TV device of some sort. It can be a stick, cube, tablet, phone, or TV with FireOS built in. The recast has no remote or video out--it is a Network DVR. You need a client to actually play back the video, and a Fire stick is one of those options.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

the Recast is a networked device. You view on the Fire Stick/Cube @720p in stereo. Look for a used Tivo for OTA recording. They're great for that. Or if you're into techish things HDHomeRun
You need a Fire TV device of some sort. It can be a stick, cube, tablet, phone, or TV with FireOS built in. The recast has no remote or video out--it is a Network DVR. You need a client to actually play back the video, and a Fire stick is one of those options.
Thanks for this. (You guys are FAST).
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

FedGuy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:45 am
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:18 am
Thanks, Manatee2005. Based on your suggestion I looked into both other services. I ruled out fuboTV because it doesn't have CNN/TNT/TBS, which I watch fairly often. I signed up for a one week free trial of ATT&T Now, but I'm probably not going to continue it. I watch a lot of live TV (including a lot of news), and it doesn't seem to let you rewind/review live TV. I use that feature fairly frequently if I miss something either because my mind wanders or because I'm doing something else with the TV on in the background. The inability to jump back bothers me enough that giving it up is probably not worth the savings to me.
Ok I’ve had att now since they came out in 2016 and I didn’t even know that others have live TV rewind. It drives me nuts when I miss 2 mins of a movie and can’t rewind to see what I missed. YouTube tv can do this?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:30 pm Ok I’ve had att now since they came out in 2016 and I didn’t even know that others have live TV rewind. It drives me nuts when I miss 2 mins of a movie and can’t rewind to see what I missed. YouTube tv can do this?
Yes it can. You can go back to the beginning of the current program, or to the time that you first tuned to the channel, whichever is more recent.
Monsterflockster

OldOne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:05 am
Get a Tablo with on site storage.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

No, actually it isn't saving us money. But with FUBO I don't have to pay for rental of 6 cable boxes and also can see CNBC and soccer matches on my laptop or/and iPad when I'm moving around, etc.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Get a Tablo with on site storage.
Thanks. I'll look at that too.
Monsterflockster

New Providence wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:53 pm

No, actually it isn't saving us money. But with FUBO I don't have to pay for rental of 6 cable boxes and also can see CNBC and soccer matches on my laptop or/and iPad when I'm moving around, etc.
Cable is a lot more expensive today compared to 5 years ago. The rate increases for fees and rental costs for things like boxes, routers, etc. can be outrageous. Why not get a Roku stick, have no wires & save you money?

I know some have stated here they can get cable for under $60 (apparently all in cost?) and no contract. If I could get that I’d have cable too. But the lowest base price before fees and box rental is $93 a month. After add insult like $140. Additionally is a two year contract & second year jumps up to $130 before the fees. I’ll stick with streaming.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Noted some OTA suggestions on this thread. The real power of OTA is adding a dvr so you aren't subject to commercials or timing.

You can then watch national and local sports events, Jeopardy, WHEEL, hit tv shows and old Dragnet episodes. Sometimes I dvr golf if I need a good nap.

Silicon Dusts HD HomeRun (about $100) and PLEX (about $5/month or a $130 lifetime license occasional sales of $99) can add this feature to OTA. Combine all this with a ROKU and you get rid of the clunky insecure tv apps, add in any paid subscriptions like HULU with the simplest remote control ever invented. My roku app on my phone subsitutes for a remote and can listen to sound via bluetooth or head phones.

Now you can watch live tv or dvr show on any device (tv, tablet,computer,phone) in the house.

I figure this is also worth saving $5 - $30 per month due to our local cable internet's data caps.

Plex also has media management for digitized home movies, photos, owned music and owned movies.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

A good resource to see what services offer what "channels" check out
suppose.tv You enter the network you want and it shows you what service offers it.
https://www.suppose.tv/tv
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:55 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:30 pm Ok I’ve had att now since they came out in 2016 and I didn’t even know that others have live TV rewind. It drives me nuts when I miss 2 mins of a movie and can’t rewind to see what I missed. YouTube tv can do this?
Yes it can. You can go back to the beginning of the current program, or to the time that you first tuned to the channel, whichever is more recent.
Hulu with Live TV can as well, except--as I noted--it gets all confused when it thinks a commercial break is involved (it basically wants you to stop and watch all of the commercials every time you hit a commercial break, but what it thinks is a commercial break doesn't always line up with what actually is a commercial break, and oddly enough there've been times where I wanted to rewind to rewatch part of a commercial, which it won't let you do). AT&T's failure to offer what I thought was a basic feature offered by all streaming services is kind of mystifying, and makes it not worth the cost savings to me.
Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet »

Spectrum just raised their Internet prices again, and now regular priced Internet is $74.99. I currently have a $5 "promotional discount" added on from calling their retention department, but that means I'm still paying $69.99. We also have YTTV at $64.99 plus tax.

Our total out-the-door price for TV/Internet right now is $139.20 per month. This is the most we've ever paid for TV/Internet. Six months ago back in June - before the recent price increases - this same combo of service for us was $113.23 per month. In six months, the same exact services have gone up a combined $26 per month.

Up until now, we always managed to keep our TV/Internet price between $90 on the low end and maybe $115 at the high end. It seems like those days are gone.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Spectrum just raised their Internet prices again, and now regular priced Internet is $74.99. I currently have a $5 "promotional discount" added on from calling their retention department, but that means I'm still paying $69.99. We also have YTTV at $64.99 plus tax.

Our total out-the-door price for TV/Internet right now is $139.20 per month. This is the most we've ever paid for TV/Internet. Six months ago back in June - before the recent price increases - this same combo of service for us was $113.23 per month. In six months, the same exact services have gone up a combined $26 per month.

Up until now, we always managed to keep our TV/Internet price between $90 on the low end and maybe $115 at the high end. It seems like those days are gone.
My AT&T Uverse (or whatever it's called now) TV is $156.28/month and my only extra is SEC Channel. My AT&T internet costs $50.27 for "Internet 100" which is the slowest AT&T offers. Then, I have one land line phone @ $32.99/month. Total comes to $254.68/month. Just the Uverse bill has 8 (eight) fees and taxes. Good News (Yeh, right) is that I get a discount because I have a "bundle" so am not charged for additional bandwidth. Right now, because Uverse TV is nothing much more than commercials and old, old, old reruns, I watch more Netflix and FREE YouTube than AT&T TV. I've not yet opened my December bill but think it should be the same. Next month though, the increase will definitely come. I hope to have a DVR (not owned by AT&T) in place and have dropped AT&T TV.

Hey, any suggestions will be appreciated.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

OldOne wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 pm

My AT&T Uverse (or whatever it's called now) TV is $156.28/month and my only extra is SEC Channel. My AT&T internet costs $50.27 for "Internet 100" which is the slowest AT&T offers. Then, I have one land line phone @ $32.99/month. Total comes to $254.68/month. Just the Uverse bill has 8 (eight) fees and taxes. Good News (Yeh, right) is that I get a discount because I have a "bundle" so am not charged for additional bandwidth. Right now, because Uverse TV is nothing much more than commercials and old, old, old reruns, I watch more Netflix and FREE YouTube than AT&T TV. I've not yet opened my December bill but think it should be the same. Next month though, the increase will definitely come. I hope to have a DVR (not owned by AT&T) in place and have dropped AT&T TV.

Why not cancel everything but the Internet? You already have netflix. If you need current tv shows and dvr, get you tube tv. Pick up a roku or firestick and plug it into the hdmi port of any tv. 100 Mb/s is plenty fast to stream.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Over the past three years we switched from Frontier to Spectrum to YouTube TV. The latter is great, except for their rising prices and dropped channels. IMHO, just as with investing, there will be reversion converging to the mean pricing for cable or streaming TV, plus Internet. As consumers drop cable TV service, the price for Internet and streaming will just go up. Might as well accept that, and choose the provider/platform that best suits you for content and ease of use.

BTW, for those who don't have Smart TV's (with built in YouTube TV, Netflix, etc.), the latest "Chromecast with Google TV" dongle plus remote is fantastic! See... https://www.engadget.com/chromecast-wit ... 24220.html
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I keep reading that NFL Network is now on YTTV; however, I don't see it on my TV? What am I missing?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

rich126 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:19 pm
OldOne wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 pm

Why not cancel everything but the Internet? You already have netflix. If you need current tv shows and dvr, get you tube tv. Pick up a roku or firestick and plug it into the hdmi port of any tv. 100 Mb/s is plenty fast to stream.
That is where I am heading. We have Hulu + Hulu Live TV. The Live TV is the constant increase. Getting close to cable.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Flashes1 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 am I keep reading that NFL Network is now on YTTV; however, I don't see it on my TV? What am I missing?
Check your channel filter. I couldn’t find mine either, the filter was set to “Preferred” or something like that. Changed it to “Default” and it popped up right with all the other sports channels.