Any Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders planning on cancelling? [annual fee increasing]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
TravelGeek

Re: Any Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders planning on cancelling?

Post by TravelGeek »

jhawktx wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 pm
Why pay yourself back at 1.5 cents? Get Citi double cash and pay yourself back at 2.0 cents.
1.5 cents per point, but we earned 5 points per dollar for many charges a couple months ago, and always earn 3 points for dining or travel on our CSR. So effectively 7.5% or 4.5% cash back.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:08 pm You can use your UR points to "pay off" certain charges (currently groceries, dining, home improvement, and select national charities) at a rate of 1.5 cents per point. It's really spending points to get a statement credit for those charges. Say you have a $50 grocery charge, you can spend a little over 3.3k points to get a $50 statement credit for that transaction.

Edit: Also, to find the feature, get to your UR home page (on the new interface, I click the ... button and select "Card benefits"), then click the menu button (three bars) and "Pay Yourself Back" should be a menu option. It's marked as "New" for me.
Why pay yourself back at 1.5 cents? Get Citi double cash and pay yourself back at 2.0 cents.
Because you can transfer your 5x UR points from the Chase Freedom quarterly categories to Chase Sapphire Reserve, then add this 1.5x multiplier on top of it. I also have the Double Cash, which I use for general purchases when I don't have a higher reward via other sources. But I'm not going to leave free money on the table by ignoring the ability to combine UR points on Chase and multiply the rewards in the process.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

Mudpuppy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:08 pm
totallynotsure wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm Can someone fill me in on the Pay Yourself Back feature?

I haven’t used that at all.
You can use your UR points to "pay off" certain charges (currently groceries, dining, home improvement, and select national charities) at a rate of 1.5 cents per point. It's really spending points to get a statement credit for those charges. Say you have a $50 grocery charge, you can spend a little over 3.3k points to get a $50 statement credit for that transaction.

Edit: Also, to find the feature, get to your UR home page (on the new interface, I click the ... button and select "Card benefits"), then click the menu button (three bars) and "Pay Yourself Back" should be a menu option. It's marked as "New" for me.
Because restaurants and travel earn at 3 cents and gas at 5 cents and streaming at 10 cents. So those get redeemed at 4.5 cents, 7.5 cents and 15 cents respectively.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm I am an original plank owner of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, having applied and been approved on the day it opened in August 2016. My four year anniversary is this month, and the annual fee will be billed on September 1. At that time I will ask Chase to downgrade the card to a Freedom Unlimited. I had already been planning to do this before the COVID-19 crisis because of the annual fee increase and my plan not to travel much in 2020 or 2021. Now, however, with the crisis in full swing, I am doing no dining or travel whatsoever, so even the delay of the annual fee increase doesn’t make the card worthwhile to me. In preparation for the downgrade I’ve burned through all my remaining Ultimate Rewards points using the Pay Yourself Back program, so I have a zero points balance on that card. It was a nice four year run, but all good things come to an end.

I will also be downgrading my Chase United Explorer card when its annual fee comes due on September 1. Without travel, the card is useless to me.
Precheck or global entry credit, then cancel?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:51 pm
1.5 cents per point, but we earned 5 points per dollar for many charges a couple months ago, and always earn 3 points for dining or travel on our CSR. So effectively 7.5% or 4.5% cash back.
I purchased a $500 Visa gift card on the Chase Freedom card from a grocery store a few weeks back. There was a $5 fee (or thereabouts) to buy the Visa gift card. This transaction earned me 2500 points (worth $25). I used the Visa gift card to pay my utility bills. There was a $1 fee to pay the electric bill using this method. Then I transferred the points that were earned over to the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and used Pay Yourself Back to make the points worth 1.5 times as much. After accounting for fees, I saved a bit over $30 on my utility bills (about 6%). Currently, the same approach can be used on Amazon purchases since that is the bonus category this quarter. That means Amazon purchases become 7.5% off up to $1500 during the quarter. It is possible to buy an Amazon gift card and use it later as well.

The Chase Ink Business credit card can similarly be combined with the Sapphire Reserve. Internet, cable TV, phone service, and purchases at office supply stores (categories don't change) earn 5 times the points on Ink. Then the points can be transferred to Chase Sapphire Reserve, rendering the points worth 1.5 times as much (7.5% cash back).

For me, this feature of transferring points from other cards makes the Reserve card fairly valuable. After accounting for the travel/grocery credit of $300 and $60 credit on Door Dash, the $450 fee becomes $90. My renewal date is coming up in a month or two and I've decided to keep this card for another year.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

blastoff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm I am an original plank owner of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, having applied and been approved on the day it opened in August 2016. My four year anniversary is this month, and the annual fee will be billed on September 1. At that time I will ask Chase to downgrade the card to a Freedom Unlimited. I had already been planning to do this before the COVID-19 crisis because of the annual fee increase and my plan not to travel much in 2020 or 2021. Now, however, with the crisis in full swing, I am doing no dining or travel whatsoever, so even the delay of the annual fee increase doesn’t make the card worthwhile to me. In preparation for the downgrade I’ve burned through all my remaining Ultimate Rewards points using the Pay Yourself Back program, so I have a zero points balance on that card. It was a nice four year run, but all good things come to an end.

I will also be downgrading my Chase United Explorer card when its annual fee comes due on September 1. Without travel, the card is useless to me.
Both the Sapphire Reserve and the United Explorer reimburse Global Entry renewal, but my Global Entry isn't eligible for renewal for another year. I have a credit union card that will reimburse Global Entry renewal when the time comes.

By the way, I'm not cancelling, I'm downgrading, so I'll keep the credit line.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:20 pm
blastoff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Both the Sapphire Reserve and the United Explorer reimburse Global Entry renewal, but my Global Entry isn't eligible for renewal for another year. I have a credit union card that will reimburse Global Entry renewal when the time comes.

By the way, I'm not cancelling, I'm downgrading, so I'll keep the credit line.
I think my "every 4 years" on this credit comes up this fall. It was my way of justifying the value for this coming year. Of course... probably won't make any use of precheck or global entry in the next year. But, one can renew quite early so this coming year is already paid for...
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

totallynotsure wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm Can someone fill me in on the Pay Yourself Back feature?

You can use your UR points to "pay off" certain charges (currently groceries, dining, home improvement, and select national charities) at a rate of 1.5 cents per point. It's really spending points to get a statement credit for those charges. Say you have a $50 grocery charge, you can spend a little over 3.3k points to get a $50 statement credit for that transaction.

Because you earn at 4.5 cents per dollar spent on a variety of categories, instead of just 2 on everything
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Those that play it right get 3x on purchases in some categories and 5x in others, AND THEN multiply by 1.5x for the pay yourself back feature. The weakest chase card gives 1.5x on everything and then moving that to the CSR still gives you 2.25x cash ratio (1.5 x 1.5). The citi double cash is more of a card for the types that don't even consider bending over to pick up $50's on the ground because it's too much work IMO. The BoA relationship (for many on this forum that would qualify) and associated cards crush the 2x cash back card that nearly everyone offers with 2.625 cash back on anything. You will frequently see the small business owners who pay their taxes at a 1.9-2.2% clip by using BoA premium to create the arbitrage there on taxes.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I'm having trouble following the examples people have given for the Pay Yourself Back feature. Can someone dumb it down for me? Here's my situation: I have about 50,000 points on my CSR card. Suppose I use the card to spend $20 at a restaurant. What happens next?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

FedGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm I'm having trouble following the examples people have given for the Pay Yourself Back feature. Can someone dumb it down for me? Here's my situation: I have about 50,000 points on my CSR card. Suppose I use the card to spend $20 at a restaurant. What happens next?
It's pretty easy once you get into the Ultimate Rewards portal. Just select Pay Yourself Back from the UR portal menu, select the eligible items, and follow the prompts.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

I was able to pay myself back for any dining transactions over the last 90 days. It worked well initially, we haven’t dined out in months, but our carry out has mostly been refunded.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

FedGuy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm I'm having trouble following the examples people have given for the Pay Yourself Back feature. Can someone dumb it down for me? Here's my situation: I have about 50,000 points on my CSR card. Suppose I use the card to spend $20 at a restaurant. What happens next?
1. You will get 5x points on the restaurant purchase, giving you 50,100 points
2. You use the PYB feature to get a refund for the $20 you spent. That will cost you 1334 points, leaving you with 48,766 points.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Dining and groceries were earning 5 points. Dining now earns 3 points. Paying those back at 1.5 cents nets more than 2.0 cents.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

GeraniumLover wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 am 1. You will get 5x points on the restaurant purchase, giving you 50,100 points
2. You use the PYB feature to get a refund for the $20 you spent. That will cost you 1334 points, leaving you with 48,766 points.
Thank you. So I get the 3% cash back and can spend down my accumulated points at more or less the best rates available for this card, thereby effectively getting 4.5% back? That sounds like a good opportunity to spend down my points while travel is off the table. If I get my accumulated point total low enough, I'll probably cancel or downgrade the card before my annual fee comes due in January.

Thanks again.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

FedGuy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am
GeraniumLover wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 am 1. You will get 5x points on the restaurant purchase, giving you 50,100 points
Thank you. So I get the 3% cash back and can spend down my accumulated points at more or less the best rates available for this card, thereby effectively getting 4.5% back? That sounds like a good opportunity to spend down my points while travel is off the table. If I get my accumulated point total low enough, I'll probably cancel or downgrade the card before my annual fee comes due in January.

Thanks again.
Yes--that is correct. BTW, my figures above are off a little since you only get 3x points for dining, not 5x.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

I'm keeping the card. I used the Pay It Back feature to redeem approximately 50,0000 points. I figure that the $250 bonus + $300 travel redemption has already covered the annual spend. The Doordash bonus has added $60 in value, plus I have had at least 2 $15 promotions with the premium Dashpash.
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

I will likely cancel once I've cashed out my points using PYB; I was also one of the original holders. With travel being extremely limited, the $300 travel credit isn't useful.
jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 »

I decided to keep it this year with the $450 still being in place, and I had some travel planned with my parents and wanted to use the lounge access etc on our few flights we had. That travel got canceled, but the extra perks this year has made the card worth it I think.

I'm planning on canceling before next renewal though, especially if it goes back up to $550 and the perks aren't great especially on groceries.

I think I'll replace it with an Amex Gold. Not really planning travel for quite some time, I need to start accumulating MRs as I dont have any and maybe not having the CSR for a couple of years or more would let me get another signup bonus whenever I sign up again, I'll be way past the 48 month thing.

In 2-5 years I plan to travel the world and I may even rock an Amex Platinum and a CSR, I dunno
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

jeffh19 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:38 pm I think I'll replace it with an Amex Gold.
That's what I ended up doing (plus Bank of America Preferred Rewards).

Amex Gold - Groceries and Dining 4% (but that uplifts when I typically transfer to Delta and get 1.3 to 1.7 per point in value)
BofA Cash Rewards - 5.25% on specific categories (Online shopping is great, Travel too)
BofA Premium Rewards - 2.63% on everything else.

I keep two in my wallet. Amex Gold for anything food related (Grocery and Dining) and Premium Rewards for everything else. The Cash Rewards is used whenever ordering online (clothing, travel, etc)

I'm getting $1,200 improvement a year over what I was getting with CSR/CFU combo.
SCb&b

Post by SCb&b »

I think you want to earn on gas/travel/restaurants (3-5x points) and redeem for everything else (1.5x).

I'm guessing if you pay yourself back you lose the points on the purchase - that's the way the $300 travel credit works as of a couple of years ago.

Someone correct me if wrong.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

SCb&b wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm I think you want to earn on gas/travel/restaurants (3-5x points) and redeem for everything else (1.5x).

I'm guessing if you pay yourself back you lose the points on the purchase - that's the way the $300 travel credit works as of a couple of years ago.

You're wrong.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

SCb&b wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm I think you want to earn on gas/travel/restaurants (3-5x points) and redeem for everything else (1.5x).

You still keep the points on the purchase. It's not instant like the travel credit and you can redeem through the PYB portal for up to 90 days after the purchase, so multiple billing cycles after the points have posted. While it would be technically feasible for them to claw back the points, they don't. Either they've decided it's not worth the money spent programming the logic, or they're leaving it as a perk.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

You are wrong. The Pay Yourself Back program does not work like the Travel Credit. You can earn the 3x or 5x points at the time of the transaction, and then, several weeks or months later Pay Yourself Back at 1.5% on that same transaction.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We are not downgrading this year. I’m really enjoying the Pay Yourself Back feature.
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

I am debating whether to downgrade to Freedom, or cancel. I am not using this card much now after getting BofA Preferred rewards, so paying fees does not make sense. I am however worried that canceling may hit credit score. Is this a concern?

And bonus opportunity: Has anyone has experience getting a bonus, say next year for a new CSR, after downgrading to Freedom from a CSR this year?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

BlackcatCA wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 pm I am debating whether to downgrade to Freedom, or cancel. I am not using this card much now after getting BofA Preferred rewards, so paying fees does not make sense. I am however worried that canceling may hit credit score. Is this a concern?

And bonus opportunity: Has anyone has experience getting a bonus, say next year for a new CSR, after downgrading to Freedom from a CSR this year?
Credit utilization (how much of your credit you are using) is a factor in credit scores. Cancelling a card won't hit your credit score as such, but it will reduce your credit lines and therefore increase utilization if you keep charging the same amount.

A new bonus depends on when you got the bonus on your old CSR card. You can't get a new CSR bonus for 48 months from that point.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I have just downgraded my Chase Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Loved this card, but new benefits not useful for us. Couple that with limited / no travel and not worth the increased price for the privileges. Just used up the existing pile of points on PYB and will look closely at the other cards mentioned by the fine peeps here and see what’s next.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I applied for both the Amex Platinum and the CSR on the same day and got both on the same day. I have found out that the Amex is essentially useless for me and a huge downer. I’m overseas and many of their benefits are only for purchases within the US. For example, The Uber credit is only in the US, their Marriott deal is only for hotels in the US and surrounding areas, and other restaurants and other deals say US only.

In contrast, with a few exceptions, the CSR is for worldwide dinning and travel. So much more useful for me and with the pay yourself back, it is a definite keeper. Going to use the Amex only for certain travel. Use up my 100,000 points and then canceling the card after one year.

Also would like to mention that the Amex’s $200 airline incidental fee is also worthless. Not only is it extremely difficult to use, but almost useless for me. I’m a gold card member of a certain airline, so all of those benefits including priority pass are not useful for me, as they are already included with my membership. However, even assuming I was not a good member, it would still not be useful for me. I fly internationally most of the time and I already get allotted a second free bag with the airline among other benefits, which makes that $200 credit not useful. But I’m off topic now.

Back on topic. The CSR is very useful simply because the benefits are so easy to use. No need to jump through hoops. The $300 travel credit is extremely easy to use even if you don’t do any traveling in the typical sense. And Chase will apply your groceries to the credit now.
jeffh19

Post by jeffh19 »

cheesepep wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:53 pm I applied for both the Amex Platinum and the CSR on the same day and got both on the same day. I have found out that the Amex is essentially useless for me and a huge downer. I’m overseas and many of their benefits are only for purchases within the US. For example, The Uber credit is only in the US, their Marriott deal is only for hotels in the US and surrounding areas, and other restaurants and other deals say US only.

In contrast, with a few exceptions, the CSR is for worldwide dinning and travel. So much more useful for me and with the pay yourself back, it is a definite keeper. Going to use the Amex only for certain travel. Use up my 100,000 points and then canceling the card after one year.

Also would like to mention that the Amex’s $200 airline incidental fee is also worthless. Not only is it extremely difficult to use, but almost useless for me. I’m a gold card member of a certain airline, so all of those benefits including priority pass are not useful for me, as they are already included with my membership. However, even assuming I was not a good member, it would still not be useful for me. I fly internationally most of the time and I already get allotted a second free bag with the airline among other benefits, which makes that $200 credit not useful. But I’m off topic now.

Back on topic. The CSR is very useful simply because the benefits are so easy to use. No need to jump through hoops. The $300 travel credit is extremely easy to use even if you don’t do any traveling in the typical sense. And Chase will apply your groceries to the credit now.
Oh wow I didn't know all that, good to know. Maybe I'll just do like you did for the 100k bonus and quit it and have the CSR be my keeper if you cant use the Uber credits overseas etc. I'm also not a huge fan of the prosed pick one airline at the beginning of the year and only get the credits there as im not loyal to one airline at all, whoever gets me there cheapest, and like you said if you are loyal to one specific airline/have their CC you may not get charged much fees anyway. I guess it would always help with food and drinks for long integrational flights that I've never done yet and will be in a few years when I would have the card, but again I have no idea what airline I'd be using. Maybe by then Amex will revise their benefits.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

For anyone still considering whether to cancel or renew a CSR card...

Doctor of Credit reports that some people have received retention offers of $150 (or even $250 in rare cases)

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/reader-g ... e-reserve/
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

othermike27 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 am For anyone still considering whether to cancel or renew a CSR card...

Doctor of Credit reports that some people have received retention offers of $150 (or even $250 in rare cases)

I received a $150 statement credit this morning just by calling and asking
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

GeraniumLover wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 am
othermike27 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 am For anyone still considering whether to cancel or renew a CSR card...

Did you threaten to cancel? Did you say any more than: please give me a $150 statement credit?
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

Seasonal wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 am

Did you threaten to cancel? Did you say any more than: please give me a $150 statement credit?
I said I was unhappy with the $450 AF, was considering dropping the card, and asked they had any retention or statement credit promotion.
SciurusVulgaris

Post by SciurusVulgaris »

Did they say that you'll need to agree to pay any upcoming annual fee?

I figure the math is simple:

Code: Select all

travel and grocery credit:        $300
  annual fee:                      ($550)
  difference:                      ($250)
I'm not getting any travel benefits, not using the Peloton benefits, and Doordash is a hassle where I live now. So they'd need to make up the $250 for me or I'd want to close when the AF posts next month.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I cancelled both my Chase Sapphire Reserve ($550 fee) and my Chase United Explorer ($95 fee) cards in September, thereby saving myself $645 in gross fees. I realize that Chase was renewing existing cardholders at the old $450 fee, but that would still have been $545 in fees. No amount of temporary 5% earning categories and Pay Yourself Back redemptions would have recouped that amount, as I had already drained my Ultimate Rewards accounts over the summer using Pay Yourself Back. As for the $300 travel credit, I would not have used it because I don't plan on any travel until autumn 2022. Also, I won't be riding Lyft or other rideshare services until 2022. I never use Door Dash or other food delivery services (I can cook).
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

SciurusVulgaris wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 am

Did they say that you'll need to agree to pay any upcoming annual fee?

I figure the math is simple:

Code: Select all

travel and grocery credit:        $300
  annual fee:                      ($550)
  difference:                      ($250)
I'm not getting any travel benefits, not using the Peloton benefits, and Doordash is a hassle where I live now. So they'd need to make up the $250 for me or I'd want to close when the AF posts next month.
They had already billed me my $450 (not $550) AF. So for me it is equivalent to getting the card for free after travel/grocery credit.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

My math for the year is:

$450 AF
-$300 travel credit in Jan/Feb/March
-$120-ish in free dining at Priority Pass restaurants
-$100 Global Entry renewal
-$60 Doordash
-one business class RT ticket to Europe via points transfer to UA
-$2000 in PYB credits
-$50 in various Chase Offers

= :moneybag :moneybag super valuable card for me :moneybag :moneybag
student

Post by student »

GeraniumLover wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:34 am
Seasonal wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 am

I said I was unhappy with the $450 AF, was considering dropping the card, and asked they had any retention or statement credit promotion.
Oh. I wish I knew about it. I cancelled mine.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Thanks for sharing. I called this morning and was told that no retention is currently available (for me anyway) and should call when closer to the annual renewal (a few months from now) when it is more likely something could be available. While I would have appreciated a bit more certainty now, I am also fine to wait and will proceed with my plan to cancel if one is not offered. With that said, the card has been a good fit for our family, but the new fee is simply too much...mainly as the the new benefits are not useful for me.

Look forward seeing how this continues to develop.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Whakamole wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:39 pm I will likely cancel once I've cashed out my points using PYB; I was also one of the original holders. With travel being extremely limited, the $300 travel credit isn't useful.
You know the $300 travel credit also applies to gas and groceries this year, right?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-sap ... vid-perks/

Marylander1
welloiledinvestor

Post by welloiledinvestor »

I will offer my opinion and also inject my similar dilemma as well. :D This card has been very versatile and amazing card. I have owned it for several years now. I have time (March 2022 is renewal date), but I am in similar boat as rest of you. I am considering canceling it at end of my renewal. I am expecting a baby this year and we do not travel that much, maybe once in a while, internationally. Furthermore, I have used the feature to recharge car battery twice I believe (didn't cost me) and I have used Global twice. The recent pay yourself back for grocery shopping was nice feature. I posted elsewhere about whether to cancel or not, so I think this post is more appropriate for me. I welcome your feedback.

I do have AmEx WellsFargo Propel (3x on gas/travel/dining/streaming) with $0 annual and no Foreign fee. It's not in same level as CSR, but for my family, might do the job. We have been using our Chase cards for paying bills and collecting UR and not so much Amex (also own AmEx Everyday that transfers amex points to some partners).

The question to downgrade really depends on your scenario.

Do you have another travel card? Do you travel internationally? There is no question that CSR is valuable card. Question is are you taking advantage of all or most of the features to make it work for you. Who do you do business with? Explore all your options and take your time in making a decision.

If someone already has other Freedom cards and has no other travel card, then downgrading will not be a bad choice ($95/year) + you can add spouse and other members free of charge. The benefits will not be the same, so you need to do your homework. I own Freedom 1.5%, Freedom 5%, and CSR among other non-Chase cards.
welloiledinvestor

Post by welloiledinvestor »

I want to add that Ask Sebby who reviews credit cards has a calculator online to give you some idea whether it's worth keeping the CSR card or not.
You know yourself and your spending better than anyone. Hope the link helps some of you.

https://www.asksebby.com/credit-cards/c ... rve-review
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

As some additional CSR info, the free Lyft Pink is only for one year. It doesn't renew. Wonder if same will apply to DashPass. This card felt marginal to me at $450 fee, now it is rather less worthwhile at $550. If they aren't running the retention offer I'm probably out despite having the card basically since it first came out. Maybe I'll just let it expire and then apply for a CSP for the sign up offer when my annual fee comes due in the fall.
DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum »

Da5id wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:34 am As some additional CSR info, the free Lyft Pink is only for one year. It doesn't renew. Wonder if same will apply to DashPass. This card felt marginal to me at $450 fee, now it is rather less worthwhile at $550. If they aren't running the retention offer I'm probably out despite having the card basically since it first came out. Maybe I'll just let it expire and then apply for a CSP for the sign up offer when my annual fee comes due in the fall.
Presently the sign-up bonus for the CSP is 100K. This bonus may not be around in the fall.
You may want to consider changing the CSP to a Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex. Both do not have an annual fee.
Once you have done the Product Change you can then apply for CSP.

Check out this Boglehead link.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=350902&start=50
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

DrGrnTum wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:38 am
Da5id wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:34 am As some additional CSR info, the free Lyft Pink is only for one year. It doesn't renew. Wonder if same will apply to DashPass. This card felt marginal to me at $450 fee, now it is rather less worthwhile at $550. If they aren't running the retention offer I'm probably out despite having the card basically since it first came out. Maybe I'll just let it expire and then apply for a CSP for the sign up offer when my annual fee comes due in the fall.
Presently the sign-up bonus for the CSP is 100K. This bonus may not be around in the fall.
You may want to consider changing the CSP to a Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex. Both do not have an annual fee.
Once you have done the Product Change you can then apply for CSP.

Check out this Boglehead link.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=350902&start=50
Yeah. I have some travel and hotels that make me want to keep CSR until the fall (for trip cancellation etc), so I'll not cancel in advance. Still draining points as I get them with pay yourself back too. I realize that CSP bonus may get chopped before the fall, such is life. I have a Freedom and a Freedom Unlimited already. Could get a Flex I suppose at the time.
Aaabbbccc

Post by Aaabbbccc »

drummerboy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:26 am
GeraniumLover wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:43 pm
drummerboy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:29 pm I wish the CSR would keep the 5% on Groceries forever. That would change my mind.
I agree. The CSR only had the 5% on groceries for May and June. The CSR's 5% categories for the third quarter are not useful to me. More groceries would have been better. We won't know the fourth quarter until late September, so I'm closing the CSR when my fee comes due on September 1.
Where can one learn of the bonus 5% categories for CSR? I can't locate them on chase.com.
IMHO, Amex Gold has the best grocery rebate currently. (4% up to 25k a year in spend, assume 1.25 to 1.5 uplift when transferring points making it a 5 to 6% earn on groceries).
Amex blue cash preferred is 6% on supermarkets but only up to $6K
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

I think I'll finally be giving up my CSR this fall when it renews - I went and got the two new US Bank cards (Altitude Go and Altitude Connect).

The Go gives 4% cashback on dining with no annual fee, and the Connect gives 4% cashback on travel with a 95 annual fee (waived the first year).

Given the increased annual fee for the CSR, I have to overcome a $155 gap to breakeven. Valuing the CSR at their travel min of 1.5 per point (or 4.5%), that requires $31K of spend to breakeven. There's some possible upside there with travel partners, by YMMV.

If the AF hadn't increased, I might still stick with it because then the required spend is only $11K. We'll see if the CSR comes up with any new gimmicks like Doordash credits or something that up the ante. But I'm torn on how to value those since their true value relies on lifestyle. For example, I don't value the Lyft benefit at the subscription amount - I would never sign up for Pink. The savings on each ride don't add up to much because we only take a few rides a month - and I sometimes use Uber because it's still cheaper.

I'll have to check my 5/24 before a product change and applying for the CSP - I recently snagged 2 personal and 1 Chase business card. Wife and I have gone on a run the last few months.