Anyone with a relatively recent minivan and a video entertainment system? That or ipad holders?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Anyone with a relatively recent minivan and a video entertainment system? That or ipad holders?

Post by doss »

Hello,
Does anyone own a 2019+ Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Chrysler Pacifica and have some kind of entertainment video system in them? We are a family of 4 looking for a minivan to purchase soon and since we travel quite a bit (15hrs each way) several times a year, we feel that the van's video system will come in handy. However, the practicalist in me things that ipads with ipad holders on each seat would be good enough, especially for future proofing. Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
Brain

Re: Anyone with a relatively recent minivan and a video entertainment system? That or ipad holders?

Post by Brain »

My coworker just got a new Odyssey and said she had the exact same question. They went with the entertainment center. They have two kids and are likely to have multiple passengers.

Her perspective:

First, there's the economy of scale. How many kids do you have? How many other passengers might you have? With enough iPads, you'll match and/or exceed the cost of the entertainment center option.

Then there's the issue of multiple viewers wanting different videos. With an Odyssey, there's one screen showing one program. With a Pacifica, there's a screen for each seat that can show different programs. Obviously, the iPads can display individually.

The Odyssey can take advantage of the car's audio system. The Pacifica would require headphones.
bampf

Re: Anyone with a relatively recent minivan and a video entertainment system? That or ipad holders?

Post by bampf »

I had a video system in my car that became obsolete way before the car did. I will never buy a video system for a car again. Honestly, a couple of ipads are fine. You can even bluetooth connect them to the audio system if you want. Way better value in my opinion. Plus, on an ipad you can play games, read email, watch a movie, write a note, read a book etc etc...
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

If you get one with an entertainment system, make sure it has some kind of A/V input (e.g. HDMI, etc.) so you can connect whatever future device there is, otherwise you might end up with some screen that can't be used in a few years.
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

2016 Odyssey here. bought used. rear ent. system works fine. it isn't a Bose-surround home theatre but it works fine with the car speakers or the headphones. as far as future-proof, I don't foresee DVD's approaching total obsolescence anytime soon, but even if they do, the $5 bin at Walmart will take a while to empty, I'm sure.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

bampf wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:47 pm I had a video system in my car that became obsolete way before the car did. I will never buy a video system for a car again. Honestly, a couple of ipads are fine. You can even bluetooth connect them to the audio system if you want. Way better value in my opinion. Plus, on an ipad you can play games, read email, watch a movie, write a note, read a book etc etc...
I agree with this. We have an 2014 Odyssey with an entertainment system, which we love. If it were to short out tomorrow, I would go the i-pad route.

By the way, is there a way to play music in the front speakers and movie in the back?

Those with kids out there, how weird is it that you have HEARD hundreds of kids movies but have never SEEN them thanks to the van.
mhc

Post by mhc »

2018 Odyssey with entertainment system. Multiple kids. Long road trips.

We bought the top trim level, so it came with the entertainment system. It is not worth it. Tablets or phones are way better. They have better video. They are more versatile (can be used any where, varied content: music, video, games, reading, ...). Each person can have his own screen. You can update the mobile device. You can probably purchase multiple mobile devices for the cost of an automobile infotainment center.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Can’t the kids just hold their iPads? I think I’m turning into a curmudgeon...
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We went the iPad and earbud route. Everyone can do their own thing and not bother me, the driver. We don't have these but if your kids don't want to hold the iPad's, they make seat back organizers that sell on Amazon that will hold an iPad, bottles of liquid, snacks, other things, etc.
Topic Author
doss

Post by doss »

Hi everyone. Op here. We purchased a 2020 Honda Odyssey with a local dealer online and they did everything contact-less. All the dealers I contacted wanted us to head in to the dealership but we just told them we couldn't due to COVID. They were all pretty understanding. They delivered our van to us. We just took a road trip and absolutely love the van. Thanks for all the feedback (we opted for the rear entertainment system with DVD and so far our kid prefers that over ipad (he is 4).
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
Roscoe Griffon

Post by Roscoe Griffon »

I went through this a few years back, and decided to go with iPads.

I got sick of buying one use only items for kids such as iPad stands. I just bought a bunch of gear ties and they worked well for tying iPads to back of the head rest in front of the kids. The kids can put them up there with their necks get tired, or hold them. Plus I can use these for other things when the kids aren’t using them for iPads. Best for kids over 4 yo, though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... ZjSsj117DG
    Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I haven't seen age mentioned. I think the in car entertainment system is much better for kids under the age of maybe 7 or 8. Anyone younger than that ends up screwing up the headphones or tablet and can't fix it themselves. So unless they have a sibling old enough to fix it, it's kind of a pain to have them use a tablet during a long trip compared to the car entertainment system that can be controlled more easily from the front seat.

That said, if my kids were old enough to control their own tablet and headphones on their own and fix anything that they accidentally click, I think that route is more useful long term.