Mosquitos! Mosquitos! Mosquitos!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cs412a

Re: Mosquitos! Mosquitos! Mosquitos!

Post by cs412a »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 pm You probably do have standing water. Or your next door neighbor does. We had vector control out last month, and she found a potted plant in our yard, and a couple of bromeliads next door. It doesn’t take much. See if your city or county has a vector control unit that will come out and help you find them.
+1
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I once got bit by a tick, was concerned about Lyme disease and since then have a service come every 2 summer months spraying a fog of natural oils, etc. for $107 each. Since then note only a few bugs, handle those with spraying Off or similar on skin and hair when going out to do yard work.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

retire2022 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:44 pm El Greco

I would look into this product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin

"The pyrethrins are a class of organic compounds normally derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium that have potent insecticidal activity by targeting the nervous systems of insects. Pyrethrin naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers and is often considered an organic insecticide when it is not combined with piperonyl butoxide or other synthetic adjuvants.[1] Their insecticidal and insect-repellent properties have been known and used for thousands of years.

Pyrethrins are gradually replacing organophosphates and organochlorides as the pesticides of choice as the latter compounds have been shown to have significant and persistent toxic effects to humans. Because they are biodegradable pyrethrins are widely preferred to pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogues of pyrethrin that accumulate in the environment."

"Pyrethrins are among the safest insecticides in the market due to their rapid degradation in the environment."

And specifically look into a synthetic pyrethroid called permethrin.

See this for what it is, and how to use. It. Essentially, you use it to treat your clothing and other fabrics (like your outdoor furniture, umbrellas, etc.) https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin- ... treatment/

Using permethrin-treated clothing drastically reduces the number of mosquitoes that attack you. And the mosquitoes will not bite through treated fabric. Depending on how many and aggressive the mosquitoes are, you may still need to use a repellent on your exposed skin. Most of the time, just the treated clothing is enough. But when it is not, use one of the repellents that has been proven effective:

- DEET - cheap, lasts most of the day. Tastes/smells/feels icky though.
- Lemon Eucalyptus or Picardin- these work well, but you need to reapply them more often than DEET.

Regarding permethrin, theSawyer spray is expensive, and gets used up really fast. It is much more cost efficient to buy a bottle of concentrate and mix your own.

If you got this route, this is the one you want: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0

(Note, you will also see solutions that are more concentrated and seem like a better deal. Do not get these to treat clothing--they have solvents in them that make them unsuitable for that.)

Here's a guide on how to mix the proper 0.5% solution, and also but how to apply it to clothing: https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

"If you use a 10% Permethrin concentrate, you want to dilute it with 19 parts water and 1 part of 10% permethrin concentrate to produce a 0.5% Permethrin solution. For example, if you wanted to make a gallon (128 ounces) of a 0.5% Permethrin solution using water and a 10% Permethrin solution, you’d mix 6.4 ounces of 10% Permethrin solution with 121.6 ounces of water. If you do this using a 1-gallon plastic water bottle (shown above), you’d pour off 6.4 ounces of water and replace it with 6.4 ounces of the 10% Permethrin concentrate. Shake well to mix it up."

Read the guidance on how to handle it. I have used both the spray method and the soak method. Both worked.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Finridge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 pm
And specifically look into a synthetic pyrethroid called permethrin.

See this for what it is, and how to use. It. Essentially, you use it to treat your clothing and other fabrics (like your outdoor furniture, umbrellas, etc.) https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin- ... treatment/

Using permethrin-treated clothing drastically reduces the number of mosquitoes that attack you. And the mosquitoes will not bite through treated fabric. Depending on how many and aggressive the mosquitoes are, you may still need to use a repellent on your exposed skin. Most of the time, just the treated clothing is enough. But when it is not, use one of the repellents that has been proven effective:

- DEET - cheap, lasts most of the day. Tastes/smells/feels icky though.
- Lemon Eucalyptus or Picardin- these work well, but you need to reapply them more often than DEET.

Regarding permethrin, theSawyer spray is expensive, and gets used up really fast. It is much more cost efficient to buy a bottle of concentrate and mix your own.

If you got this route, this is the one you want: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061MSS0

(Note, you will also see solutions that are more concentrated and seem like a better deal. Do not get these to treat clothing--they have solvents in them that make them unsuitable for that.)

Here's a guide on how to mix the proper 0.5% solution, and also but how to apply it to clothing: https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

"If you use a 10% Permethrin concentrate, you want to dilute it with 19 parts water and 1 part of 10% permethrin concentrate to produce a 0.5% Permethrin solution. For example, if you wanted to make a gallon (128 ounces) of a 0.5% Permethrin solution using water and a 10% Permethrin solution, you’d mix 6.4 ounces of 10% Permethrin solution with 121.6 ounces of water. If you do this using a 1-gallon plastic water bottle (shown above), you’d pour off 6.4 ounces of water and replace it with 6.4 ounces of the 10% Permethrin concentrate. Shake well to mix it up."

Read the guidance on how to handle it. I have used both the spray method and the soak method. Both worked.
Finn thanks for the write up and suggestion, I need to do this with my 89 acres property upstate.

did you hear about this on NPR today?

"Why One Dangerous Mosquito Developed A Taste For Human Blood, Nell Greenfieldboyce, July 23, 2020 11:00AM

A mosquito that transmits dangerous viruses like dengue and Zika seems to have developed a taste for human blood because of the way that people store water — which mosquitoes need for laying eggs — in hot, dry climates.

That's according to a new study in Current Biology that tested the biting preferences of Aedes aegypti populations from 27 locations across sub-Saharan Africa, the ancestral home of this mosquito species.

Aedes aegypti is one of the few mosquito species that really loves to bite humans, says Lindy McBride, a biologist at Princeton University who notes that there are around 3,500 known mosquito species.

"In general, mosquitoes are pretty opportunistic. They're willing to bite most things they come into contact with," McBride says. "But there are these few species that really specialize in biting humans. So that's unusual."

Given a choice, these unusual mosquitoes would rather bite a person than some random animal. This preference has long been known to scientists — but they haven't understood how it evolved. Understanding that is important because of the way these pests can carry disease; approximately 100 million people get sick every year from mosquito-borne pathogens.........."

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... uman-blood
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

telemark wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:12 am
abuss368 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:17 am Aim your golf ball at them and fire away!
Someone is way ahead of you

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-A-Salt-2-0-f ... ref=sr_1_2

Note: I have not tried this product.
DW bought this for one of the boys for a birthday. Doesn't work very well.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jminv

Post by jminv »

Most of the mosquito control services use Bifenthrin in a backpack blower, although Bifenthrin doesn't work all that great. Bifenthrin is available online that you can purchase yourself although I think you might not be able to buy it in NY. Lookup Talstar. It kills a lot of things besides mosquitoes but in my experience it doesn't work all that great. Good but doesn't solve the problem fully. It works a lot better if you add an insect growth regulator (or go with another insecticide). You can find these kits on DoMyOwn (pest control). If it's shipping to NY your options are more limited but they have some. Or you can pay a company to spray you since they have an applicator license. If it's a local company instead of one of the national ones (Trugreen for example) you could ask/demand they use a growth regulator. Things that work better than Bifenthrin are Onslaught Fast Cap with Nyguard insect growth regulator or Oneguard is another option that has both the knockdown insecticide and a growth regulator. If you go with a local company or a do it yourself approach I'd ask for/use one of those two options.

There are misting systems that consist of a 55 gallon drum, a pump, a timer, and misting line. Originally these were for barns but you can put one in a backyard. You fill it with one of the pyrethroids concentrates and water then set the timer to spray insecticide periodically.

Backyard foggers that use Cutters or Black Flag, etc don't really work well. You'll have some peace for a few hours and then the problem returns. They're a pain since you have to use them whenever you want to enjoy the yard - which isn't enjoyable.

The mosquito magnet, skeetervac, etc are systems that use propane and a lure to attract and trap mosquitoes. They don't work all that well but can make a difference. I've used the skeetervac but for the price it's better just to use Talstar and an insect growth regulator.

Remove all sources of standing water. Check for clogged gutters. Can put mosquito dunks where water accumulates. Dish soap or oil will kill larvae.
retire14

Post by retire14 »

I use A product called Bifen IT ( bought from Amazon). I sprayed once earlier in the season around the house, all the bushes, etc. it worked. Then mosquitoes came back about a month later, I sprayed again and it worked. It’s easy to spray with a pump sprayer. I think a bottle About $30 per bottle which should last a couple of seasons and about 1/2 hr every month to save $50/ month from a service.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Finridge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 pm [

Can I spray it onto patio furniture? 🤔
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I’ve been actively eliminating standing water or treating with dunks if that is not possible. I try to avoid broad spectrum insect killers because they kill everything, good and bad. I was out tonight and enjoyed watching a good number of fireflies aka lightning bugs rise out of my lawn at dusk to start their night. We have bees and pollinator plants for them to feed on, lots of earthworms in the soil, spiders which make my wife a little crazy but I’ve held my ground there as well. Inside is our domain, outside try to live / coexist with nature as much as possible.
pl28

Post by pl28 »

OP, depending on type of mosquitoes are in your area, I had somewhat good success with this product against the tiger mosquitoes (white stripes on legs). The product uses a fan and an attractant smell that mimics the human scent and when the mosquitoes get close enough, it sucks them in a funnel net. You can probably build one yourself if you are handy, the concept is pretty simple and been pretty effective. You do need to move it to different places around the yard as the smell is not very strong.

https://us-shop.biogents.com/collection ... osquitaire
RetiredMommy

Post by RetiredMommy »

I moved to the midwest a few years ago so mosquitos are new to me but they LOVE me! Once I get bit I develop big huge welts too... what i’ve found that works for me—big huge bug zapper (from Costco) gets rid of a lot. I have an llbean shirt that has permethrin woven through it that I use for yard work. It lasts a certain number of washes but I only wash it 3-4 times a year as I layer it over my normal clothes. I’ve used permethrin spray (big yellow bottle) on pants, llbean also sells them but I hated them. Permethrin lasts 6-7 washes sprayed onto clothes like this.

If enjoying the deck I try to have a fan or two on. Also i’ve found the real deal with bug spray—Jungle Juice from REI. It’s 98% DEET but I use it most days I’m outside a lot, just shower that evening to remove. It’s the only bug stuff that works well for me.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

RetiredMommy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm I moved to the midwest a few years ago so mosquitos are new to me but they LOVE me!
Where did you move from, this place without mosquitos?

Marylander1
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Marylander1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 pm Where did you move from, this place without mosquitos?

Marylander1
I grew up in MD so I get your surprise :sharebeer I lived a while in Oakland, CA - and our 2nd floor apartment had no screens. I was worried... turns out, for no reason. Mild summers and seemingly no flying bugs. Didn't need AC either, used a floor fan maybe all of 4 days a year. Bliss!
RetiredMommy

Post by RetiredMommy »

Southern California—Orange County I don’t think I’d ever had a bite until I moved here
RetiredMommy

Post by RetiredMommy »

Marylander1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:49 pm
RetiredMommy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm I moved to the midwest a few years ago so mosquitos are new to me but they LOVE me!
Where did you move from, this place without mosquitos?

Marylander1
Southern California Don’t remember ever having a problem in my 40ish years in Orange County/Ventura County.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 pm I’ve been actively eliminating standing water or treating with dunks if that is not possible. I try to avoid broad spectrum insect killers because they kill everything, good and bad. I was out tonight and enjoyed watching a good number of fireflies aka lightning bugs rise out of my lawn at dusk to start their night. We have bees and pollinator plants for them to feed on, lots of earthworms in the soil, spiders which make my wife a little crazy but I’ve held my ground there as well. Inside is our domain, outside try to live / coexist with nature as much as possible.
Same here. A well placed oscillating fan on the deck keeps it clear if we use it during bug season.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:36 am
livesoft wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 am
1130Super wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 am I ordered a (Mosquito Magnet) off of Amazon works wonders, dropped mosquitos by about 90% in my yard within 2 weeks
Or your yard and environs dried up in that two weeks and that was the end of the mosquitos.

Isn't it rather interesting that this summer there has been no outcry about the Zika virus?
Zika has not been transmitted in the US by mosquitos for several years per CDC. The US episode was back in 2015 I believe. Given the way 2020 is going I'm sure something else will take its place!
We already have it: Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), another reason for people in EEE prone areas to do whatever they can to eliminate/avoid any interaction with mosquitos. Authorities have already detected the presence of EEE in a couple of MA counties this year.
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Because Zika turns out to not be as deadly as dengue which is why it died down pretty quickly.

When it comes to mosquitoes, you definitely want to make sure your area does not have any traces of stagnant water.

You could try one of these Thermacell repellents in the day. They last for 12 hours each per cartridge.

In the night you want to turn on the air conditioning. Mosquitoes become slow in cold temperatures.

If you have kids, might want to get one of those mosquito netting that covers their bed or cot.

On top of that, I also highly recommend using something like a magnetic screen for not just your door, but your windows as well. There are some that could cover up your whole garage door as well.

Consider having some of those mosquito incense or coils, or citronella candles in your shed and light one up whenever you need to be there.

Ultimately, I find it very difficult to make sure that your place is mosquito-free, but you can definitely minimise a lot of the bites by making sure that the area around your home doesn't breed mosquitoes.
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 pm I’ve been actively eliminating standing water or treating with dunks if that is not possible. I try to avoid broad spectrum insect killers because they kill everything, good and bad. I was out tonight and enjoyed watching a good number of fireflies aka lightning bugs rise out of my lawn at dusk to start their night. We have bees and pollinator plants for them to feed on, lots of earthworms in the soil, spiders which make my wife a little crazy but I’ve held my ground there as well. Inside is our domain, outside try to live / coexist with nature as much as possible.
Spiders help a lot with minimising insect-type pests in your home. They put on their webs in areas where those insects would frequent. I had a spot just outside of my home that was a path for ants. A spider then built it's web over it, and there's tons of ant corpses everyday, until the ants stop showing up, and the spider left as well. Quite a massacre.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Chuck107 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm As you live in NY, you can't purchase bifinthrin bifenthrin concentrate from domyownpestcontrol.

However you can get the same thing in a pre made from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIRH1K2/ref=emc_b_5_t

Excellent stuff, been using it for years. Follow directions of course, proper personal protection etc.
Kills way more than just the blood suckers.

READ up on the habits of mosquitoes, where they like to "hang" out.
Males suck on plants, females suck on blood and plants.
They all hide upside down on the underside of leaves, thats what you spray.
Spray the underside of gutters and overhangs.
Underside of decks etc etc.

When sitting out it helps a lot to have a fan blowing in your direction close to you, it blows your scent away, and as they are not good flyers they can't fight the breeze of the fan.

Good Luck.
This is the only right answer I've seen so far. Easy to use and works incredibly well. You need a pump hand sprayer or fogger of some sort. I use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and cut it at 1oz per gallon (3-4x minimum needed). Buy the 3/4gallon product it is much cheaper per oz. I have 1/3rd of an acre surrounded by woods and I hit whole property plus into woodline as far as I can reach without going in, and it has held off mosquitoes for a full month with a single spraying. Going to do it again this weekend and a friend's property. I have other friends who have had great luck as well.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Pesticides will kill beneficial insects as well. Should not be used unless you want to contribute to the decline of the pollinators.

Deet based repellents are the only thing that consistently works.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm Can I spray it onto patio furniture? 🤔
Yes, you can, but why? Only insects that come into contact with enough permethrin molecules will be affected by permethrin molecules. I suppose if you have ants or ticks crawling up your patio furniture that it would be helpful for fabric or wicker patio furniture, but not really for plastic or metal patio furniture. Since mosquitoes do not typically land on patio furniture, it would not do any good to treat patio furniture.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

JLJL wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:33 am
Chuck107 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm As you live in NY, you can't purchase bifinthrin bifenthrin concentrate from domyownpestcontrol.

However you can get the same thing in a pre made from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIRH1K2/ref=emc_b_5_t

Excellent stuff, been using it for years. Follow directions of course, proper personal protection etc.
Kills way more than just the blood suckers.

READ up on the habits of mosquitoes, where they like to "hang" out.
Males suck on plants, females suck on blood and plants.
They all hide upside down on the underside of leaves, thats what you spray.
Spray the underside of gutters and overhangs.
Underside of decks etc etc.

When sitting out it helps a lot to have a fan blowing in your direction close to you, it blows your scent away, and as they are not good flyers they can't fight the breeze of the fan.

Good Luck.
This is the only right answer I've seen so far. Easy to use and works incredibly well. You need a pump hand sprayer or fogger of some sort. I use a 4 gallon backpack sprayer and cut it at 1oz per gallon (3-4x minimum needed). Buy the 3/4gallon product it is much cheaper per oz. I have 1/3rd of an acre surrounded by woods and I hit whole property plus into woodline as far as I can reach without going in, and it has held off mosquitoes for a full month with a single spraying. Going to do it again this weekend and a friend's property. I have other friends who have had great luck as well.

This stuff will kill everything that lands on the surfaces that have been sprayed for 3 months. Bees, lady bugs, lacewings, mantis, etc.

It illegal to spray this in anything that drains to a sewer or any body of water.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

pahkcah wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:18 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:36 am
livesoft wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 am
1130Super wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 am I ordered a (Mosquito Magnet) off of Amazon works wonders, dropped mosquitos by about 90% in my yard within 2 weeks
Or your yard and environs dried up in that two weeks and that was the end of the mosquitos.

Isn't it rather interesting that this summer there has been no outcry about the Zika virus?
Zika has not been transmitted in the US by mosquitos for several years per CDC. The US episode was back in 2015 I believe. Given the way 2020 is going I'm sure something else will take its place!
We already have it: Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE), another reason for people in EEE prone areas to do whatever they can to eliminate/avoid any interaction with mosquitos. Authorities have already detected the presence of EEE in a couple of MA counties this year.
The best thing anyone can do to eliminate interaction is to wear long sleeve shirts and pants and use repellents that contain Deet!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm Can I spray it onto patio furniture? 🤔
Yes, you can, but why? Only insects that come into contact with enough permethrin molecules will be affected by permethrin molecules. I suppose if you have ants or ticks crawling up your patio furniture that it would be helpful for fabric or wicker patio furniture, but not really for plastic or metal patio furniture. Since mosquitoes do not typically land on patio furniture, it would not do any good to treat patio furniture.
I meant if I sprayed it on the fabric of patio furniture (it's a covered patio) would that deter the mosquitoes?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:38 pmI meant if I sprayed it on the fabric of patio furniture (it's a covered patio) would that deter the mosquitoes?
I doubt it because the mosquitoes would not be attracted to the fabric in the same way that they would be attracted to the clothes you were wearing because your body would be in the your clothes. But if you are buying some to treat your clothes, then why not treat the furniture fabric as well?
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Yes, especially if your patio furniture has fabric (seat cushions, etc.) Permethrin binds really well to fabrics. You can use it to spray anything (including your lawn, bare ground, outdoor wood furniture)--and it will work, but it won't last as long...)

If you have outdoor furniture that has fabric that you use a lot, spraying it with permethrin would be an excellent strategy.

Some information on permethrin:

https://www.sawyerdirect.net/FAQPermetherin
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin- ... treatment/
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 pm
The purpose of spraying your fabric patio furniture with permethrin is because it *repels* mosquitoes away from the vicinity of the furniture (including away from people sitting on the furniture). :D

That is the whole point. It's the same reason treating your shirt, hat, shorts, and socks repels many mosquitoes from landing on your bare arms or legs or face.

This is the reason why the U.S. Army uses permethrin-impregnated battle-dress uniforms in the tropics. It's not to keep mosquitoes from landing on the uniform, but rather to repel them away from the unprotected areas of bare skin.

It doesn't work *perfectly* but it works really, really well in reducing the number of mosquitoes that bite. Using treated clothing I often do not need to use repellents such as DEET anymore. However, in really bad mosquito conditions, when there are lots of mosquitoes and they are highly aggressive, then you will want permethrin-treated clothing *and* DEET *and* a headnet.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^It is easy enough to test: Treat two chairs of patio furniture and leave the other two chairs untreated. Notice any difference? Better yet, have someone else treat half your patio pieces, but not tell you which ones. Can you later tell them which ones they treated?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just an anecdote but I wear permethrin treated clothes in the field on birding trips (to kill ticks) but I still get bitten by mosquitos if I don’t use repellant on exposed skin. Biting flies aren’t stopped be either.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^And I have watched a tick crawl up my pants leg even though it had been treated the day before with permethrin.

In testing that I did, it took about 30 minutes for ants to hang out with permethrin-treated socks before the ants died.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

We had our yard sprayed last summer, but this summer I decided to buy the same chemicals myself. We have mosquitoes and a lot of ticks from a woodsy area behind our backyard. Now I can spend $50 for the year vs. $50 each month of spraying.

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-profess ... -p-97.html

https://www.domyown.com/tekko-pro-insec ... 10273.html
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Chuck107 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:58 am
dsmil wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 am We had our yard sprayed last summer, but this summer I decided to buy the same chemicals myself. We have mosquitoes and a lot of ticks from a woodsy area behind our backyard. Now I can spend $50 for the year vs. $50 each month of spraying.

https://www.domyown.com/talstar-profess ... -p-97.html

https://www.domyown.com/tekko-pro-insec ... 10273.html
Good choice, been doing this for years now.
Next time get the Bifen IT instead of Talstar, same thing much cheaper.
I've been using suspend with good results around the perimeter and indoors.

I try to keep it well away from anything pollinators or predator insects frequent. For what it's worth beneficial nematodes will do a good job with all sorts of bugs found in the soil or on top of it including grubs and ticks.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Finridge wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:44 am
unclescrooge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Yes, especially if your patio furniture has fabric (seat cushions, etc.) Permethrin binds really well to fabrics. You can use it to spray anything (including your lawn, bare ground, outdoor wood furniture)--and it will work, but it won't last as long...)

If you have outdoor furniture that has fabric that you use a lot, spraying it with permethrin would be an excellent strategy.

Some information on permethrin:

https://www.sawyerdirect.net/FAQPermetherin
https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin- ... treatment/
Awesome thanks!
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm We hire out a mosquito yard spray service. Costs a few hundred for the summer. It's not a magic bullet but it does help, certainly more than citronella candles or a zapper or such things. The bigger your yard, the more useful. Yard too small, and they just come from the neighbors anyways.

I haven't done enough research to determine if I could DIY the same thing they do for cheaper, which may be what some of the other posters reference. Not sure if I'd want to anyways, depending on what chemical is used.

Toga! Toga! Toga!
We've used professional mosquito yard services for years, which were about 80% effective. They were all using bifenthrin. We didn't have a ton of mosquitoes to begin with, so you would think that an 80% reduction would be sufficient, but it wasn't, as even a single bite is still quite uncomfortable.

This year, I got rid of the professional mosquito spraying and, instead, bought a Dynatrap for one part of the yard and an ultra powerful electric bug zapper (and use a mosquito attractant) in another. It took a couple of weeks, but we've now gotten rid of about 99% of mosquitoes. The mistake that a lot of people make with bug zappers and Dynatrap like devices is that they set them up right next to where they sit and also only turn them on when they're outside. These devices are designed to attract mosquitoes, so that they need to be placed about 20 feet away from where you sit. In addition, as their manuals make clear, you need to run them 24/7 (you can also place them on a timer that turn them on when the sun goes down and turn them off at sunrise), so that they continue to kill mosquitoes even when you aren't outside, and also kill all the newly hatching one. The energy usage of these devices isn't significant and is much cheaper than the cost of professional mosquito spraying, citronella and various other band-aids and, when used properly (placed about 20 feet away and run daily) they are highly effective.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

UALflyer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 am We've used professional mosquito yard services for years, which were about 80% effective. They were all using bifenthrin. We didn't have a ton of mosquitoes to begin with, so you would think that an 80% reduction would be sufficient, but it wasn't, as even a single bite is still quite uncomfortable.

This year, I got rid of the professional mosquito spraying and, instead, bought a Dynatrap for one part of the yard and an ultra powerful electric bug zapper (and use a mosquito attractant) in another. It took a couple of weeks, but we've now gotten rid of about 99% of mosquitoes. The mistake that a lot of people make with bug zappers and Dynatrap like devices is that they set them up right next to where they sit and also only turn them on when they're outside. These devices are designed to attract mosquitoes, so that they need to be placed about 20 feet away from where you sit. In addition, as their manuals make clear, you need to run them 24/7 (you can also place them on a timer that turn them on when the sun goes down and turn them off at sunrise), so that they continue to kill mosquitoes even when you aren't outside, and also kill all the newly hatching one. The energy usage of these devices isn't significant and is much cheaper than the cost of professional mosquito spraying, citronella and various other band-aids and, when used properly (placed about 20 feet away and run daily) they are highly effective.
Thanks for posting. I've been looking at getting one of these for several weeks but they've been out of stock for a while.
Which model did you get?
What is there a difference between the 1/2 acre and full acre models?
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 amThanks for posting. I've been looking at getting one of these for several weeks but they've been out of stock for a while.
Which model did you get?
The Dynatrap that I use is the 1/2 acre one from Costco, which was $50 or $60 and includes two extra bulbs. The big advantage of the Dynatrap (and other systems like it) is that it's virtually silent, as it works by attracting mosquitoes and other bugs and then sucking them into a catch basin, where they dehydrate and die. Keep in mind that mosquitoes are tiny to begin with and, once they are dehydrated, their bodies become miniscule and hard to see, especially when the trap is also full of much larger dead bugs. Hence, the reason that you'll see some individual reviews saying that all that they see are larger bugs, but not mosquitoes in the catch bins.

If you aren't willing to run the Dynatrap 24/7 (when operated 24/7, the 1/2 acre one's electric consumption is only $1.25 - $2/month), I wouldn't buy it, as it won't be effective. Just like all the traps like it, it needs to be plugged in and needs to be placed about 5-6' above ground in a shaded area where mosquitoes like to congregate, and about 20 feet away from where you sit (if you place it too close to where you sit, you'll be attracting mosquitoes and other bugs to yourself).

The 1 acre Dynatrap versions use a brighter bulb and a larger catch basin, but otherwise work essentially the same. To me, it's more effective to use two smaller devices placed in the opposite corners of the yard than one large one. Hence, the reason that in addition to the above 1/2 acre Dynatrap, I use a 1.5 acre Flowtron bug zapper in the opposite corner of the yard (the overall backyard is much smaller than 2 acres, but I intentionally bought the most powerful Flowtron, as it was only $10 more than its smaller version and the difference in energy consumption is also tiny) and use an Octenol lure (my model of the Flowtron has an indentation underneath for such a lure, so that the bug zapper warms it up and makes it more effective; the lure is rated to last 21 days). Unlike Dynatrap, which is virtually silent, the bug zapper obviously makes a zapping noise every time it zaps something, so it's something to consider.

Keep in mind that while all these devices start killing mosquitoes and other bugs immediately, disrupting their breeding cycles takes several weeks. Hence, the reason that they generally should be deployed when outdoor temperatures rise above 45F-50F and should continue to be deployed for the entire season.

Some of the other solutions that have been mentioned, such as citronella, box fans, etc... also work, but they're a band aid, which is only effective in the small area in which that they're deployed and only during their deployment. If you have a small area of the patio where you like to sit, it's fine, but they won't work for a larger area, such as an entire backyard. DEET (diethyltoluamide) bug sprays are also fairly effective, but they're gross, cause skin reactions for some people and are generally a very poor solution for backyards (people use DEET bug sprays when they go out camping in the woods, etc...).
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm Pesticides will kill beneficial insects as well. Should not be used unless you want to contribute to the decline of the pollinators.

Deet based repellents are the only thing that consistently works.
Have to agree here, we prefer not to use chemicals also since we intend to keep bees soon. We eliminated standing water sources and built bat houses on our property and that really reduced the number of mosquitoes.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

UALflyer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am
unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:10 amThanks for posting. I've been looking at getting one of these for several weeks but they've been out of stock for a while.
Which model did you get?
The Dynatrap that I use is the 1/2 acre one from Costco, which was $50 or $60 and includes two extra bulbs. The big advantage of the Dynatrap (and other systems like it) is that it's virtually silent, as it works by attracting mosquitoes and other bugs and then sucking them into a catch basin, where they dehydrate and die. Keep in mind that mosquitoes are tiny to begin with and, once they are dehydrated, their bodies become miniscule and hard to see, especially when the trap is also full of much larger dead bugs. Hence, the reason that you'll see some individual reviews saying that all that they see are larger bugs, but not mosquitoes in the catch bins.

If you aren't willing to run the Dynatrap 24/7 (when operated 24/7, the 1/2 acre one's electric consumption is only $1.25 - $2/month), I wouldn't buy it, as it won't be effective. Just like all the traps like it, it needs to be plugged in and needs to be placed about 5-6' above ground in a shaded area where mosquitoes like to congregate, and about 20 feet away from where you sit (if you place it too close to where you sit, you'll be attracting mosquitoes and other bugs to yourself).

The 1 acre Dynatrap versions use a brighter bulb and a larger catch basin, but otherwise work essentially the same. To me, it's more effective to use two smaller devices placed in the opposite corners of the yard than one large one. Hence, the reason that in addition to the above 1/2 acre Dynatrap, I use a 1.5 acre Flowtron bug zapper in the opposite corner of the yard (the overall backyard is much smaller than 2 acres, but I intentionally bought the most powerful Flowtron, as it was only $10 more than its smaller version and the difference in energy consumption is also tiny) and use an Octenol lure (my model of the Flowtron has an indentation underneath for such a lure, so that the bug zapper warms it up and makes it more effective; the lure is rated to last 21 days). Unlike Dynatrap, which is virtually silent, the bug zapper obviously makes a zapping noise every time it zaps something, so it's something to consider.

Keep in mind that while all these devices start killing mosquitoes and other bugs immediately, disrupting their breeding cycles takes several weeks. Hence, the reason that they generally should be deployed when outdoor temperatures rise above 45F-50F and should continue to be deployed for the entire season.

Some of the other solutions that have been mentioned, such as citronella, box fans, etc... also work, but they're a band aid, which is only effective in the small area in which that they're deployed and only during their deployment. If you have a small area of the patio where you like to sit, it's fine, but they won't work for a larger area, such as an entire backyard. DEET (diethyltoluamide) bug sprays are also fairly effective, but they're gross, cause skin reactions for some people and are generally a very poor solution for backyards (people use DEET bug sprays when they go out camping in the woods, etc...).
Thanks. I'm in SoCal where it's over 40 degrees probably year round, with mosquito season getting longer each passing year. I don't even remember mosquitoes bring a thing 4 years ago.

Just ordered the 1/4 acre one off Amazon. I'm close to my neighbor's home, who is guilty of constant overwatering as is his neighbor.

Keeping it close to his yard should hopefully do the trick.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I don't think the previous Mosquito thread has been mentioned. It had the pros and cons of several different approaches:
viewtopic.php?t=283472

based on the thread, I've tried Spartan. I put them out early this year, and have had few if any mosquitoes in my back yard. But that may be because it's a dry year.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am Thanks. I'm in SoCal where it's over 40 degrees probably year round, with mosquito season getting longer each passing year. I don't even remember mosquitoes bring a thing 4 years ago.
That's because California has a new set of invasive mosquito species that have arrived over the last couple of years. They're theorized to have initially arrived in Southern California, but they've been found up and down the state. The invasive species bite more frequently, are active for more parts of the day, and people say that the bites are itchier than the native mosquito bites.

Here's the California Department of Public Health page on the invasive mosquitoes, which of course has a focus on their disease vector potential, but also has other useful information: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... itoes.aspx
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:11 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am Thanks. I'm in SoCal where it's over 40 degrees probably year round, with mosquito season getting longer each passing year. I don't even remember mosquitoes bring a thing 4 years ago.
That's because California has a new set of invasive mosquito species that have arrived over the last couple of years. They're theorized to have initially arrived in Southern California, but they've been found up and down the state. The invasive species bite more frequently, are active for more parts of the day, and people say that the bites are itchier than the native mosquito bites.

Here's the California Department of Public Health page on the invasive mosquitoes, which of course has a focus on their disease vector potential, but also has other useful information: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... itoes.aspx
Yes, my daughter and I get huge quarter-sized welts from these pesky mosquitoes.
Somehow my wife and son are less affected.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

El Greco wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 pm As the title of this post implies, this is a cry for help. This year we are being inundated by mosquitos in our backyard, virtually at all times of the day and night. There are so many by my garage/shed that spending 30 seconds there will result in 10 bites. I don't know why it's so bad this year (we have lived in this home for 30+ years).

Looking for smart Boglehead solutions because citronella candles ain't cutting it. Has anyone tried foggers, or sprays that hook up to a hose? Anti mosquito machines? Hired a mosquito service like Mosquito Joe? We want our backyard back! :annoyed

Additional info: We are on Long Island NY. There is no standing water in our yard where they can breed.
Move to the desert. It's so nice to be able to use my yard. Never could in Virginia.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
aqan

Post by aqan »

I tried the backyard insect killer for the first time this year. Saw a remarkable difference right away. This is just week 1. It’s supposed to last 12 weeks according to the description on the bottle.
Wife wasn’t too happy about the toxins going into the grass and dirt so probably won’t do it again next year:(

Edit: link Below

https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Backyard- ... B000PGE032
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

retire2022 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:44 pm El Greco

I would look into this product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin

"The pyrethrins are a class of organic compounds normally derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium that have potent insecticidal activity by targeting the nervous systems of insects. Pyrethrin naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers and is often considered an organic insecticide when it is not combined with piperonyl butoxide or other synthetic adjuvants.[1] Their insecticidal and insect-repellent properties have been known and used for thousands of years.

Pyrethrins are gradually replacing organophosphates and organochlorides as the pesticides of choice as the latter compounds have been shown to have significant and persistent toxic effects to humans. Because they are biodegradable pyrethrins are widely preferred to pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogues of pyrethrin that accumulate in the environment."

"Pyrethrins are among the safest insecticides in the market due to their rapid degradation in the environment."
This is just such a fantastic post!

I was totally unaware of the difference.

The neonicotinoids (sp?) based on tobacco are highly toxic to all sorts of insects, including natural pollinators. And they last in the environment virtually forever.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

After my 3 year son got a mosquito bite on his check that made him look like he had a shiner, I immediately bought a couple of dynatrap 1/2 acre traps from Costco online for about $80. They showed up next day, even though they said 5-7 business days for delivery.

If anyone is interested, see they are back in stock!
queso

Post by queso »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm After my 3 year son got a mosquito bite on his check that made him look like he had a shiner, I immediately bought a couple of dynatrap 1/2 acre traps from Costco online for about $80. They showed up next day, even though they said 5-7 business days for delivery.

I just installed one today as a test. Have you found them to be working well so far?
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

queso wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:45 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm After my 3 year son got a mosquito bite on his check that made him look like he had a shiner, I immediately bought a couple of dynatrap 1/2 acre traps from Costco online for about $80. They showed up next day, even though they said 5-7 business days for delivery.

I just installed one today as a test. Have you found them to be working well so far?
It's only been 18 hours for me so I don't know, but UALflyer's post above in this thread indicates it is IF you leave it on 24/7. I have seem mosquito traps from Vector control and they are SUPER effective in my backyard, so I hope dynatrap is similarly effective.

Either way, I will report back in a few days.