Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alfaspider

Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by alfaspider »

Of course staples like toilet paper have been the subject of a lot of press, and some things such as gym equipment are somewhat obvious. What other things have you found oddly difficult to come across?

Thread inspired by my search for an inexpensive inflatable kayak. Thought it would be fun to have an inexpensive kyak for a weekend at the beach and didn't want to store or pay for a full blown unit. It turns out that inexpensive inflatable kayaks are one of those items that cannot be found due to COVID :confused. They are sold out everywhere and units on ebay/amazon are marked up to 3-4x list price. Oddly, the more serious inflatable kayaks that were $1,000 plus to begin with don't seem to be affected.

Any other items you've noticed like this?
Silk McCue

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Silk McCue »

Claussen Whole Garlic Dill Pickles

The struggle is real.

Cheers
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 am Of course staples like toilet paper have been the subject of a lot of press, and some things such as gym equipment are somewhat obvious. What other things have you found oddly difficult to come across?

Thread inspired by my search for an inexpensive inflatable kayak. Thought it would be fun to have an inexpensive kyak for a weekend at the beach and didn't want to store or pay for a full blown unit. It turns out that inexpensive inflatable kayaks are one of those items that cannot be found due to COVID :confused. They are sold out everywhere and units on ebay/amazon are marked up to 3-4x list price. Oddly, the more serious inflatable kayaks that were $1,000 plus to begin with don't seem to be affected.

Couldn't find this 3 mil contractor bags at Lowe's last weekend. All out and none on the top shelves. Perhaps I'm not the only one cleaning junk out of her basement while I have few places to go ....??
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

trampolines and basketball hoops. Not impossible to find anymore, but for a while they were pretty tough to come by.

Probably anything that involves making life at home more pleasant for kids falls into this category. Can't go on summer vacation, but at least we can buy a trampoline.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

Bosch dishwasher

Really
delamer

Post by delamer »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:31 am Claussen Whole Garlic Dill Pickles

The struggle is real.

Cheers
My giggle for the day!

(They sound delicious!)
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
TSR

Post by TSR »

I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers on Amazon and other online sources. I ultimately tracked them down a beauty store that does more business to industry professionals and in hair extensions. But it was enough trouble to find them that it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
bmr12

Post by bmr12 »

Ammonia. Can’t find it anywhere, and can’t figure out why.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

musicmom wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:35 am Bosch dishwasher

Really
We were lucky, bought a Series 500 in February. I see they are backordered at most places until September/October.
megabad

Post by megabad »

baking supplies (ie. yeast).

did everyone start baking geez? We are going to have a lot of bigger folks when no one can buy exercise equipment and everyone is baking like crazy.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

223 and 300BLK
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Apparently there's a global carbon dioxide shortage, believe it or not. Plenty in the air, but beverage makers of all types are having trouble getting their tanks of liquid CO2 filled.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

megabad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:45 am baking supplies (ie. yeast).

did everyone start baking geez? We are going to have a lot of bigger folks when no one can buy exercise equipment and everyone is baking like crazy.
That's the pessimistic take! Look at it this way - There's no exercise equipment precisely because everyone is starting a new exercise program at home, and no yeast because everyone is baking at home instead of going out for donuts.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Almost nothing here in NL. We've been ordering tons of stuff via the internet, and I've been surprised at how easy it has been.

The only exception so far: Mclube Sailkote. Ordered in April, received in June.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TSR wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
Ramping up production capability is a long-term investment. Perhaps they feel it is best to ride out the storm without investing in more production capability than they will ultimately need.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

What I've seen is consistent with the hypothesis that our normal smoothly-flowing manufacturing, distribution, and stocking flow has gotten more turbulent. There's no particular pattern to it.

I have read that the explanation for the toilet paper shortage had little to do with hoarding. It was simply that commercial toilet paper (Torx brand, humongous rolls, bathroom-stall dispensers) and home toilet paper (Charmin, "mega" rolls, home dispensers) are completely separate businesses and manufacturing operations, and both were optimized for very steady demand, so when people began to stay home more, they couldn't adjust quickly. I suspect that's playing out with a lot of items. Plus, of course, the tariff and trade deal situation has been volatile lately.

Chunky-style peanut butter is harder to get than it used to be. I think.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

kayaks of any sort are very hard to come by. I bought one in early May and the seller was concerned about business as we were still on full lock down. I wanted to buy a second one in mid-June, he just laughed and told me that he sold his entire inventory (usually lasts the summer) by Memorial Day and there were none to be found in the wholesale channel (of any sort). Personal Watercraft (aka Sea Doo / Jet Ski / Waverunner) and Utility / Golf-carts are just about completely gone as well.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We went sourdough. Took a while to develop a ripe starter but we're good to go now. Also got starter for making our own yogurt.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Quality landscape fabric is sold out all over.

I went into the tools section of the local Fleet Farm. The shelves were almost empty. Just a few random items.

Everyone has plenty of "home time" for projects, baking, leisure activities.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Inflatable kiddie pools. Easy to find some, but just at 3x the normal price.

Nintendo Switch price still hasn't come down to the "MSRP" of $300.

Trading card prices are still through the roof.

Wonder what people spent their stimulus checks on... :shock:
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

delamer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am

The struggle is real.

Cheers
My giggle for the day!

(They sound delicious!)
Glad I could bring a smile to your face.

They are delicious. Claussen Pickles are sold in the refrigerated section of stores because they aren't heat treated or pasteurized.

I didn't know this before I just Googled them, but Epicurious rated their Dill pickles number one followed by Ba-Tampte (also refrigerated and which I am eating in the meantime, but clearly not the as good as Claussen).

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... de-article

Cheers
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

TSR wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers ... it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
bertilak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am Ramping up production capability is a long-term investment. Perhaps they feel it is best to ride out the storm without investing in more production capability than they will ultimately need.
Wahl, highly regarded manufacturer of sought-after, quality hair clippers has this banner on their website:

Thank you for your interest in Wahl. Due COVID-19, we are experiencing substantial inventory shortages on hair clippers. Unfortunately, the virus has impacted our supply chain and our ability to produce at capacity. We hope that everyone is staying safe and staying home. Please check back periodically for inventory updates.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Golf push carts.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Wahl was back at Costco this week!
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Safeway Select Ultra-Thin-Crust Pizzas seem to have completely disappeared recently.

What am I supposed to do without pizza????!!!!

I actually had to stoop to ordering from Dominoes recently!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Butterscotch chips. Found some caramel bits, but daughter refused to use them.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am
delamer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 am

The struggle is real.

Cheers
My giggle for the day!

(They sound delicious!)
Glad I could bring a smile to your face.

They are delicious. Claussen Pickles are sold in the refrigerated section of stores because they aren't heat treated or pasteurized.

I didn't know this before I just Googled them, but Epicurious rated their Dill pickles number one followed by Ba-Tampte (also refrigerated and which I am eating in the meantime, but clearly not the as good as Claussen).

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... de-article

Cheers
With regards to things like Garlic Whole Pickles, Butterscotch Chips, and Ultra Thin Pizzas-

There has been some news coverage that large packaged food companies are prioritizing production of their most popular items. The example used was that there is a shortage of aluminum cans, because more people are buying pop in the store and not at a fountain. Coke has not been making their less popular brands and focusing on the most popular ones.

Thus, for me, I have not been able to buy Tab, which is currently only sold in cans, except in a few parts of the NE. (It is also on tap at the Coca Cola Museum).
bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear »

Megabad,

KIng Arthur Flour has yeast. Sam's Club does also. Both ship.

Bear
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

sailaway wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am Wahl was back at Costco this week!
Wahl is still showing as "Out Of Stock" on the website. (Just checked.)

Maybe Costco is no longer going to ship them, and they'll be an in-store item only? There's zero chance I'll be going to Costco in person anytime in the near future...
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Dried cranberries. My local supermarket has been out of stock for at least 3 weeks.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

Uh oh, i think i'd better start hoarding some items.
But don't tell anyone about it...
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Flobes wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:05 am
TSR wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers ... it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
bertilak wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am Ramping up production capability is a long-term investment. Perhaps they feel it is best to ride out the storm without investing in more production capability than they will ultimately need.
Wahl, highly regarded manufacturer of sought-after, quality hair clippers has this banner on their website:

Thank you for your interest in Wahl. Due COVID-19, we are experiencing substantial inventory shortages on hair clippers. Unfortunately, the virus has impacted our supply chain and our ability to produce at capacity. We hope that everyone is staying safe and staying home. Please check back periodically for inventory updates.
I'm guessing demand is also up a lot as well. I've been cutting my own hair since Covid hit.
hillman

Post by hillman »

Jif Reduced Fat Peanut Butter

We've lucked out a few times, but it has been consistently sold out over the past four months.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Boudin. Can't find it where it's normally found.

JT
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Many items if shipping overseas. Shipping service frozen or stalled or heavily delayed.

Snail mail letters to Europe.

Disposable coveralls.

Carbon welding masks.

Certain brands of health care things.

Sole treadmill still does not have in home delivery. Shucks!

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

bottlecap wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:31 am Boudin. Can't find it where it's normally found.

JT
May be a local thing. Just bought some at my local Kroger with no issues.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Formula 409 cleaner. I've look at 3 dollar stores and 2 walmarts. Nobody has it.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Abe wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:38 am Formula 409 cleaner. I've look at 3 dollar stores and 2 walmarts. Nobody has it.
If you really need it try Amazon.

Cheers
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 am Of course staples like toilet paper have been the subject of a lot of press, and some things such as gym equipment are somewhat obvious. What other things have you found oddly difficult to come across?

Anything work out or entertainment, I am seeing one 10-pound kettle ball, someone asking locally on FB $45 for it. So workout equipment especially free weights are impossible to find or just insane prices. Same goes for entertainment, like tablets, or especially Nintendo Switch. But these are of no surprise we have like 100 million people who are not going to the office, cant go to the gym, and their kids are stuck home with no school and likely not going to have in person schooling until 2021, or at least not full time in person, so kids will still be 50% at home and parents have to work and keep them entertained. Also same reason, office supplies may be harder to get. RV, since no one is traveling abroad or wants to stay in a hotel so then people are trying to vacation with an RV.... all not suprising though after a little thought.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

isobutane/propane gas camping fuel in canisters. Generally not shippable to your home because of its hazardous nature.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

yes there is a HUGE baking trend now for people bored at home and are trying to limit going out for food....
bberris

Post by bberris »

The struggle is real.

Cheers
We're all in this pickle together.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Really
Most appliances, particularly brand names. It has to do with manufacturers having to shut down, then retool for social distancing (with lower production rates) and backlogs of the raw materials, while dealing with backlogs of orders placed during the shut down.

If it was an appliance that could help during the pandemic (such as a chest freezer for storage of larger quantities of food), then the delays are even longer.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

My niece got me 2 pounds of Red Star Active Dry Yeast at a Gordon's Food Service store.

My neighbors got me 12 pounds of King Arthur AP Flour at Costco.

I have had trouble with High Efficiency laundry detergent and Soft Soap. They are advertised as in-store only in my area and I have been avoiding going into stores.
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

swimsuit at Amazon, forced to look elsewhere so not all bad news.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

Alcohol-free Mouthwash. I think it's because wearing face masks makes your breath smell bad.
Topic Author
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:05 am

Really
Most appliances, particularly brand names. It has to do with manufacturers having to shut down, then retool for social distancing (with lower production rates) and backlogs of the raw materials, while dealing with backlogs of orders placed during the shut down.

If it was an appliance that could help during the pandemic (such as a chest freezer for storage of larger quantities of food), then the delays are even longer.
Our Bosch dishwasher broke a few weeks ago. I'm really glad I was able to fix it (fried controlled board). At least repair parts seem to be available as normal.
Watty

Post by Watty »

My washing machine needed to be replaced because it was having problems and it was old enough that it was not worth trying to fix.(I did open it up to see id there was an obvious problem) I was looking for a basic top loader but not a super low end one. Normally I would buy one at Costco because I would get the four year warranty. All the basic top loader models were out of stock Costco and they would not take even take orders for most of them, on some they would take your order but it would not available for a month or so.

My preferred brand is Whirlpool so I checked Home Depot and Loews and they also were out of stock on many models. I did find the model I wanted at Best Buy but when I checked back a week after I got mine they were out of stock.

In about May I wanted to clean my carpets but I did not want a carpet cleaning company to come into my house. I wanted to buy a carpet cleaner on Amazon but they were out of stock on my first choice so I bought my second choice.
bearwithbear

Post by bearwithbear »

AlwaysaQ,

Both softsoap and KIng Arthur Flour are available from BJs. They ship.
If you are not a member you can get a year membership that is online only for $10.

Bear