Water Heater: Rheem vs AO Smith

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
September

Water Heater: Rheem vs AO Smith

Post by September »

Hi, there are a lot of water heater questions on this forum and I did read some of those before posting mine. My 22 year old, 50 gal, gas AO Smith water heater started leaking water on top from the hotwater outlet this past Friday. I called a local HVAC & Plumbing company to get an in-house estimate and later I also contacted Home Depot and Lowes to get an estimate over the phone. Here are my options from 3 places.

1) Local Plumber $1875
-AO Smith 6 yr parts &1 yr labor, expansion tank, drip pan, cold water inlet ball valve.
They didn't tell me what model they'll use until Monday when their warehouse is open and they wouldn't
install anything I bought.

2) HD's contractor gave me 3 options
a. $ 1456 for Rheem Model: XG50T06EC38U1
6 yr parts &1 yr labor, and all other replacement included
b. $ 1522 for Rheem Model: XG50T09HE40U0
9 yr parts &2 yr labor, and all other replacement included
c. $ 1602 for Rheem Model: XG50T12HE40U0
12 yr parts &3 yr labor, and all other replacement included

I couldn't find the Rheem model they quoted me at home depot website.

3) Lowes $1608
-AO Smith 6 yr parts &1 yr labor

The model they quoted me is AO SMITH 50-GAL 9YR NG TALL LNX Item #:962543
https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Sign ... 1000542593
The cost is $555

HD's contractor was very quick and eager to get my business. Lowes was slow. I called my local store a couple time this afternoon and no one was picking up the phone. Lowes salesperson told me the price will include all the additional stuff but I don't know for sure.

I am debating whether I should go with Lowes AO Smith vs HD's Rheem option C. What's my best option?

Thanks for your help!
whodidntante

Re: Water Heater: Rheem vs AO Smith

Post by whodidntante »

Look at the procedure to replace the sacrificial anode rod on each, and buy the one that you are confident you could do it yourself. I would not pay more for a supposedly longer tank life. If you flush the sediment regularly and replace the anode rod, it's going to live a long time.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

September wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:57 pmI am debating whether I should go with Lowes AO Smith vs HD's Rheem option C. What's my best option?
Your best option is the one that will come tomorrow and get the work done.

I suspect the Rheem heaters are all identical and the price difference is just the warranty. They will all likely need replacement at the same age around 15 to 50 years.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Marathon Man

Post by Marathon Man »

I used to be in the Water Heater business for years. I've installed every brand. Both Rheem and AO Smith are good products and you can't go wrong with either.

For the most part, you are buying an extended warranty when you pay more for the the 12 year vs. 9 year vs. 6 year. Sometimes, not often, they may have one extra anode rod in the unit (doubtful). Save yourself the money and buy the 6 year product. Make sure the price they quote is firm. Many of the sub contractors that work for big box stores play the game of charging more for upgrades once they get to your house.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

AO Smith has outstanding customer support. Our 5 year old AO Smith water heater developed a leak about a month ago. One phone call from our plumber to AO Smith got us a brand new water heater in three days, no charge.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I did the Rheem 12 year model for $750. My labor was free and I invested the difference in VOO.
It has paid off for me. Different prices on Rheem are basic insurance policy with upper model having a slightly better control valve.
sport

Post by sport »

OP,
You may be in a higher cost-of-living area than I am, but those prices seem high. Last year, I had a local plumber install a 50 gallon gas Bradford White water heater. The total price, including a new expansion tank was $1100.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 pm
September wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:57 pmI am debating whether I should go with Lowes AO Smith vs HD's Rheem option C. What's my best option?
Your best option is the one that will come tomorrow and get the work done.

I suspect the Rheem heaters are all identical and the price difference is just the warranty. They will all likely need replacement at the same age around 15 to 50 years.
Just 1 posters story - 2 years ago my rheem hot water heater went, 1 year before the 10 year warranty was up.

My contractor picked up the new Rheem hot water heater from Home Depot, this one had a 9 year warranty and a 3 year labor warranty on it. Exactly 1 year later, it stopped producing hot water so to a manufacturers defect in the ignition module. Rheems warranty policy took care of the labor and most of the tank cost - I had to pay for the pro rats cost.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

Id recommend calling a HVAC contractor. They tend to do water heaters and are usually cheaper than plumbers directly.

In Ohio we had a 6 year Rheem installed for about 1100 about 4 months ago. Check into the replacement of the anode rod. AO Smiths tend to be harder to replace.
sport

Post by sport »

tivattom wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:27 pm Id recommend calling a HVAC contractor. They tend to do water heaters and are usually cheaper than plumbers directly.
I have found the opposite to be true. I guess, it all depends.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

Thanks for all responses and they are very helpful!

@whodidntante: I took a look at the video on how to replace anode rode on Rheem and it seems easy but I am not sure I can complete the task as I am not very handy. I can flush the sediment

@livesoft: I sheduled the appointment with HD's contractor tomorrow and they can get it done.
HD's contractor sent me the detailed information on Rheem heaters and they are not identical.
6 year heater doesn't have self-cleaning function that fights sediment and mineral build-up.
9 year & 12 year heaters are more similar except that 12 year has: Durable brass drain valve & Standard Cat. I, double-wall, B-vent, 3"/4" combo vent

@JimMoloney: You are correct! I am buying the extended warranty and the higher cost models don't have extra anode rod. Those contractors like to add more charges once they come to my house. I had some experience with Lowes's contractor on installing the storm doors. HD's contractor gave me the quote includes everything and hopefully they won't charge me more.

@Chris: Thanks for letting me know

@Housedoc: I wish that I have your skills.

@sport: I live in a HCOL

@Grt2bOutdoors: Thanks for your perspective. That's why I think I like 12 year warranty

@tivattom: I live in a HCOL. Two years ago a HVAC guy whom I used to install the new HVAC system charged me $1800 to replace the water heater. So I didn't replace the water heater then. His rate on HVAC is much better than other companies
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

When I went through this drill, I was looking for WH characteristics, not a specific brand.

I wanted a WH with these characteristics:
--From a reputable brand.
--Magnesium (not aluminum) anode.
--Anode in standalone port---easier/cheaper to replace.
--Single anode (not 2 anodes)---cheaper to replace single anode at 6yrs, than to buy 2 anodes up front.
--Brass ball valve tank drain (not plastic valve or rubber compression washer).
--Swirl dip tube---to help with flushing sediment.

Called 2 plumbers I'd previously used looking for replacement WH with above characteristics.
--One plumber only sold Bradford White---single anode under water port, rejected as expensive to replace.
--Second plumber sold BW, but was willing to research what I wanted.

Ended up buying a Rheem "Professional" model from second plumber. Ensured they would come back out at 6yrs and replace anode, and every 5yrs after that.

So far so good. Very little sediment buildup so now flush WH in fall when I do furnace startup---owner's manual recommends flushing more often.

At the time, HD was selling Rheem "Performance" model WHs. Would have been a little cheaper to buy from HD, but I'm happy with my purchase.

If important, can search for model differences.
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=Rheem+wa ... ance+model
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

dratkinson wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm When I went through this drill, I was looking for WH characteristics, not a specific brand.

I wanted a WH with these characteristics:
--From a reputable brand.
--Magnesium (not aluminum) anode.
--Anode in standalone port---easier/cheaper to replace.
--Single anode (not 2 anodes)---cheaper to replace single anode at 6yrs, than to buy 2 anodes up front.
--Brass ball valve tank drain (not plastic valve or rubber compression washer).
--Swirl dip tube---to help with flushing sediment.

Called 2 plumbers I'd previously used looking for replacement WH with above characteristics.
--One plumber only sold Bradford White---single anode under water port, rejected as expensive to replace.
--Second plumber sold BW, but was willing to research what I wanted.

Ended up buying a Rheem "Professional" model from second plumber. Ensured they would come back out at 6yrs and replace anode, and every 5yrs after that.

So far so good. Very little sediment buildup so now flush WH in fall when I do furnace startup---owner's manual recommends flushing more often.

At the time, HD was selling Rheem "Performance" model WHs. Would have been a little cheaper to buy from HD, but I'm happy with my purchase.

If important, can search for model differences.
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=Rheem+wa ... ance+model
Thanks for your feedback. HD's contractor will get me the Performance model (Basic, Plus, Platinum) model. The Platimum model has "Durable brass drain valve & Standard Cat. I, double-wall, B-vent, 3"/4" combo vent". So it includes most of your features
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

1000 dollars for the labor part of the water heater replacement makes me swoon. Can you ask about local plumbers who could do this job? Or a local handy man (as around to your nieghbors or Nextdoor community page you trust)

Can you do any of the parts of the job yourself? Like purchase and bring home the water heater? Turn off the gas to the water heater and drain the water heater yourself? Before the plumber or handyman shows up? Getting the water heater and draining it are about 2 -3 hours of "work" that you are paying the contractor for...
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I would do it for free if I lived near you.

EDIT: Actually, I'd do for a 12 pack of beer, and I haven't had a single beer during this COVID thing if any of y'all think I'm an alcoholic.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
canderson

Post by canderson »

I had never heard of anode replacements before this site.

I know a few plumbers and they have all said it’s a waste of time.

I have never met anyone who has done this and never hear it mentioned anywhere pushed Bogleheads. It’s weird.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:36 pm 1000 dollars for the labor part of the water heater replacement makes me swoon. Can you ask about local plumbers who could do this job? Or a local handy man (as around to your nieghbors or Nextdoor community page you trust)

Can you do any of the parts of the job yourself? Like purchase and bring home the water heater? Turn off the gas to the water heater and drain the water heater yourself? Before the plumber or handyman shows up? Getting the water heater and draining it are about 2 -3 hours of "work" that you are paying the contractor for...
I asked another small local plumber, price is slightly higher than HD. I live in a HCOL area.

According to Angie's list
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/how ... n-cost.htm
A 50-gallon tank averages between $795 and $2,800 for the unit and installation, depending on different variables.

The price includes a permit fee of $97.00

I can drain the water heater myself but I can't bring home the water heater. That's a good point and I'll see if they can lower my rate.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

canderson wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm I had never heard of anode replacements before this site.

I have never met anyone who has done this and never hear it mentioned anywhere pushed Bogleheads. It’s weird.
Replacing the anode is a complete waste of time....for the plumber who can't charge big fees to replace a tank.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

dratkinson wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm
Just be sure not to wait 6 years before checking the anode for condition and calcification. (A calcified rod won't do much.) I check mine every summer. Read your tank's owners manual for inspection interval, mine says ever year except the first year.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

September wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 pm I can drain the water heater myself but I can't bring home the water heater. That's a good point and I'll see if they can lower my rate.
Why can't you bring home the water heater? Most big box stores will rent you a truck or van for about $19.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

canderson wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm I had never heard of anode replacements before this site.

It's not a waste of time... and if you have hard water, I think it's even more pertinent to change. That being said, it's not the easiest bolt to crack both thru sediment/age and how much it's torqued on from the factory. My WH is in a closet and I tried a breaker bar to no avail. An impact wrench is the only thing that will break that bolt, and most people don't have one lying around. Truth be told, even the socket is large enough that it would not be in your standard socket set sold at HD/Lowe's/Amazon.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:02 am It's not a waste of time... and if you have hard water, I think it's even more pertinent to change. That being said, it's not the easiest bolt to crack both thru sediment/age and how much it's torqued on from the factory.
You're not kidding there. When we got our older water heater replaced, I also bought a replacement anode rode for our newer one, which is 4 or 5 years old. Neither I nor my plumber could get the rods out of either tank. He suggested that if they were in there that tight, best to leave them rather than risk damaging the tank by taking them out.

I don't have an electric impact gun, and my compressor in the garage weighs 310lbs, so the pneumatic one isn't an option in the basement. :)
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 am
Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:02 am It's not a waste of time... and if you have hard water, I think it's even more pertinent to change. That being said, it's not the easiest bolt to crack both thru sediment/age and how much it's torqued on from the factory.
You're not kidding there. When we got our older water heater replaced, I also bought a replacement anode rode for our newer one, which is 4 or 5 years old. Neither I nor my plumber could get the rods out of either tank. He suggested that if they were in there that tight, best to leave them rather than risk damaging the tank by taking them out.

I don't have an electric impact gun, and my compressor in the garage weighs 310lbs, so the pneumatic one isn't an option in the basement. :)

You could always try a breaker and cheater bar if you have space in the basement. For me, a breaker bar did nothing, though I had minimal space in the closest to move it.

I'd guess you pneumatic could free it. I have a cordless ridgid that busted it off.

But, if your plumber is saying to let it be.... I'd listen to them.....
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

canderson wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:22 pm I have never met anyone who has done this and never hear it mentioned anywhere pushed Bogleheads. It’s weird.
LOL, you're kidding right. This is akin to lifetime transmission fluid.

Anyways, I always loosen the anode after 1st fill, and then don't torque it so much. Then, it's no issue 3-4 years later to replace.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am You could always try a breaker and cheater bar if you have space in the basement. For me, a breaker bar did nothing, though I had minimal space in the closest to move it.

I'd guess you pneumatic could free it. I have a cordless ridgid that busted it off.

We both tried breaker bars (mine is a 30 inch), and he put a pipe on it to boot. No dice.

Yeah, I'm going to trust him. He's actually a retired plumber, who works full-time as a home inspector now. This is all side work for him, he does a great job and charges fair prices. We use him regularly, so he's got no real incentive to try to rip us off.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:43 am
Helo80 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 am You could always try a breaker and cheater bar if you have space in the basement. For me, a breaker bar did nothing, though I had minimal space in the closest to move it.

We both tried breaker bars (mine is a 30 inch), and he put a pipe on it to boot. No dice.

Yeah, I'm going to trust him. He's actually a retired plumber, who works full-time as a home inspector now. This is all side work for him, he does a great job and charges fair prices. We use him regularly, so he's got no real incentive to try to rip us off.
Don't worry about it mine is in there 31 years. I was told I am asking for trouble if I mess with it.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

The collective wisdom of this forum helped me finding the best solution to the problem!
Some updates on my progress today. The HD contractor came to my house and told me that they couldn't install WH because material used for vent does not satisfy the safety code. So they didn't do the job. The Nextdoor neighbor suggested a small local company with a competitive price. The owner/installer is very knowledgable but he's impressed by how much I know about the water heater that I've learned from you! I'll stay with 6 yr Bradford White.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:43 am

I'm a fan of checking/replacing anode rods. But if the rod is giving you that much grief to open up, I would leave it alone too and keep an eye on the tank with a water alarm for future failure. Then be diligent with the future water heater. If the rod is completely gone, replacing it with a new one won't save the day either because the corrosion likely already started.

Anode maintenance is best done regularly, starting with a tank 5 years old or less.. I use a Torque wrench with a long handle. It doesn't take much effort at all and I monitor the torque needed to open so I can use similar to tighten it again. Also be careful about putting rotating stress on the tank in the direction of the wrench. I keep the tank as full as possible so the dead weight keeps it still, but you have to drain something out of the tank, which for me implies draining the house's hot water pipe too.

By the way, when draining sediment and checking anodes, turn the heater off well in advance. Then use the hot water in the tank to do dishes, take showers, etc. No sense draining piping hot water down the drain.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

OP, ensure the quoted price includes removal of the old tank if you cannot dispose of it yourself. I missed it if you or anyone else mentioned it.

Also, since you are getting a permit, if there is a town inspection, you may not pass if your venting is truly out of code. Hopefully not, but maybe keep that in mind.

I have never changed an anode rod. I have a Bradford White tank coincidentally, so not going to try. But I have read that for DIY-ers, crack the anode bolt before it's installed, then apply some thread tape to the threads. I can't say if that's sound advice, but I'll be trying that when my tank needs to be replaced.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Cubicle wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:25 pm

I have never changed an anode rod. I have a Bradford White tank coincidentally, so not going to try. But I have read that for DIY-ers, crack the anode bolt before it's installed, then apply some thread tape to the threads. I can't say if that's sound advice, but I'll be trying that when my tank needs to be replaced.
Avoid excessive tape. If the threads don’t make electrical contact with the tank the anode will not function.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

I got the water heater replaced yesterday by a small company specialized in water heater. The comany has two persons, owner also the technician & his helper, and they've been installing water heater for the last 30 years. They are definitely much better than the contractor from Home Depot. The Bradford Heater they installed has the brass ball valve tank drain. It's equivalent to the high end Rheem Water heater that HD quoted me.

However, I think the installation is not that difficult if everything is in place. My utility room is very tight, the AC unit stands next to the water heater with no space. If not for replacing the venting pipe and redoing all the pipes connected to the water heater, it was only one hour's job. They worked about two hours, including some testing. There is no place to put the drip pan so they didn't charge me for that. Also I didn't need to change the shutoff valve since I already have that installed. This is my mistake that I didn't do my homework. But they didn't charge me extra for replacing the venting pipe which is more expensive and time consuming. They also installed a flex gas line.

I might be able to negotiate with them for a better price but it's more hassle. Someone in Nextdoor posted a message saying that they can do the work for $1000.0 after I got the work done. But I don't know if they are licensed & insured.

They included the removel of old water heater. For the price I paid it's still very expensive but this is the best offer I can get after comparing multiple quotes from various plumbers, HVAC, Homedepot, Lowes, water heater companies. Plumbers & HVAC guys are more expensive. Local handyman offers a better price but they are not licensed & insured.

Thanks for everyone!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Now would be a good time to ask your installers if they are able to change your anode at the end of the warranty period. And for how much. Tape their business card and anode change date to WH.

Depending upon inflation, I'm expecting to pay a little >$200 to change mine in a standalone port. The BW anode under one of the water ports will be a little more work/expense to change.

We're curious to know what you learn---a data point to file away for future use.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Helo80 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm I would do it for free if I lived near you.

EDIT: Actually, I'd do for a 12 pack of beer, and I haven't had a single beer during this COVID thing if any of y'all think I'm an alcoholic.
Might be cheaper for OP to fly you out than pay a local plumber!
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Helo80 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm I would do it for free if I lived near you.

The thing is, I don't know what code is, so I do however I end up doing it. lol.... But it'll work in the end.

Yeah, I do find it funny that when I go to local plumbers webpages, they all seemed to have WH installation coupons on their webpages.... but all excluded customer provided WHs. So, you know there's funny money there....
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Helo80 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:59 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm

The thing is, I don't know what code is, so I do however I end up doing it. lol.... But it'll work in the end.

Yeah, I do find it funny that when I go to local plumbers webpages, they all seemed to have WH installation coupons on their webpages.... but all excluded customer provided WHs. So, you know there's funny money there....
I always ask for a discount on all trades. Usually gets me 10-15% off without any fuss.

The code issue came up for me when I moved the heater to the crawlspace. I told him to install an electric WH instead. Problem solved.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

tivattom wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:27 pm Id recommend calling a HVAC contractor. They tend to do water heaters and are usually cheaper than plumbers directly.

In Ohio we had a 6 year Rheem installed for about 1100 about 4 months ago. Check into the replacement of the anode rod. AO Smiths tend to be harder to replace.
None of the HVAC contractors I know of does water heaters, except the giant conglomerate contractors that usually have bought up other businesses.
Admiral Class

Post by Admiral Class »

A little history may be informative here.

June 18th 1999: per SupplyHouse Times, Rheem will manufacture water heaters on behalf of General Electric Appliances, to be sold exclusively at Home Depot.

June 2004: I purchased a GE SG50T12AVG model (50 gallon -- 12 year limited warranty on the tank and parts) natural gas water heater. The product literature (Installation Guide, User Guide etc.) all state that it was manufactured by Rheem. It has functioned flawlessly, without any maintenance, for over 16 years, despite the fact that our water supply is "hard" (i.e. mineralized). This unit likely cost about $550 at Home Depot back in 2004.

I intend to proactively replace the GE water heater with a Rheem XG50T12HN38U1 (50 gallon -- 12 year limited warranty tank and parts) UltraLow NOx unit and hope to get similar years of service to the GE unit (manufactured by Rheem). This unit currently costs $779 at Home Depot (excluding sales tax). Externally, the new Rheem model is virtually identical to my old GE unit, other than the color (grey vs. cream) and the digital display on the new control valve.