Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:02 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:25 pm

I run a metabolic health clinic. We are totally diet agnostic because the research makes it pretty clear that most diets have similar outcomes when controlled for total energy intake and other lifestyle factors. To be fair, research on long-term effects of keto and carnivore is limited. Dr. Greger has an angle, just like Dr. Baker, Dr. Fung, Dr. Westman, Dr. Scher, Dr. Lenzkes...Glad to hear "plant-based" worked for you (and I am primarily "plant-based" myself); what diet works best for someone else is based on a thousand different factors individual to them.

It sounds like you have an angle as well since you run a metabolic health clinic. :D
Certainly I have an angle, but it has nothing to do with promoting a specific exclusionary diet.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I think diet/nutrition for me is relatively simplistic. I don’t get too caught up in fad diets, short term weight loss/gain, or unsustainable measures to reach a number.

- Make incremental healthy changes. Instead of chips, eat veggies. Grilled chicken instead of fried chicken. Avoid fast food.
- Understand your calories. Track them for a short period (weigh everything) to make sure you aren’t consuming hidden calories.
- In concert with the above, understand what changes drive each outcome. Is your number 1200 calories or 1800 calories?
- Start the day off with something healthy - don’t dig yourself a calorie hole
- Exercise consistently and try new things. Kayak, walks, gym workouts, on demand routines, tennis, pickle ball, etc.
- Have short and long term goals. Reward yourself along the way (new gym shoes, new clothes, AirPods for your runs, anything)
- Enjoy the process and remember this is about health, not a weight loss number.
- The second the “routine” becomes unenjoyable, mix it up! Exercise with friends/family. Search for new recipes to try.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

The best weight loss ideas I’ve ever heard of is to journal what you actually eat without regard to a diet for two months. Once done, then review the journal entries and put a + next to the entry for food that’s good for you, a 0 next to the food that’s neutral, and a - next to the food that’s bad for you. Overtime, you gradually eliminate the foods with a - and replace these foods with ones with a +. If you want to leapfrog this, you just eliminate high glycemic foods. Sure you’ll be miserable for three weeks trying to overcome the sugar addiction but once you do you’ll no longer be tempted by high glycemic foods. I heard somewhere that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. I guess this really doesn’t surprise me when you consider 69% of Americans are overweight. The nice thing about this plan is it is sustainable, free, and can be done even when eating out.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I was really skeptical of the current keto fad, but I read a book about it by Mark Sisson called "The Keto Reset Diet" after seeing him on Joe Rogan. I was already eating 2 meals a day (usually noon and about 4pm) but I wasn't really losing any weight. After reading it I decided to just cut down on sugar/carbs and not eliminate them entirely. First I started weighing the honey I put in my daily hot tea, I was shocked to realize I was using over 2 tablespoons per tea! I weaned that down to 1tbs, and now in the summer I find I don't want hot tea at all. When I do occasionally have a hot tea, 1 tablespoon of honey is now very sweet, I do not understand how I tolerated so much honey before.

Instead of eating desserts, I now have one square of dark chocolate. Instead of getting meals heavy in carbs at Mexican restaurants, I order a chicken fajita salad. Instead of rice/potatoes I just eat more veggies like zucchini, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. I do have a spoonful of rice sometimes. I also eat one serving of tortilla chips with my weekly nachos. For sides at restaurants I steer towards veggies instead of starches. For fruit I eat mostly berries. For me I think it was sugar causing my issues other than carbs, but I still try to avoid too much carbs where possible. I do still eat my sourdough bread/pretzels but try to limit that to 1x/week.

Over the last two months I've lost at least 15 lbs without feeling deprived at all. I can wake up and not eat until very late in the afternoon without feeling any ill effects. I now find sweet things almost unbearable to eat and crave fat & protein. I am not bloated/gassy anymore. For me it's really been a life changer and I hope to eat this way the rest of my life.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
barreg

Post by barreg »

freckles01 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm
Kennedy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

It's so easy to give into temptation.

Any suggestions?
Best weight loss diet tip is DON'T DIET, a diet is all about restriction, short term goals and not sustainable.

Be a Boglehead- long term, slow and steady, LYBM, eat (invest) whole (total) foods (market), sustainable, low expense ratio and reap compound benefits to your health and mother earth.

Eat a variety of mostly whole unprocessed grains, legumes, veggies, some fruit and a little animal protein- pretty much any "third" world diet before "western" (processed) influence.

Like investing for your long term retirement/financial independence, think of healthy eating as making an investment for your future self's long term health. I know that I want to enjoy the fruits of both- healthy old age and money to spend!
This seems like the best post in the thread to me. Diets are fine for short term weight loss, but they're restrictive and generally unsustainable. For keeping weight off long-term, you need to make lifestyle changes. For me, I try to eat fairly healthy most of the time, I workout regularly, and I don't stress when I occasionally eat treats/less healthy stuff.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 am

I run a metabolic health clinic. We are totally diet agnostic because the research makes it pretty clear that most diets have similar outcomes when controlled for total energy intake and other lifestyle factors. To be fair, research on long-term effects of keto and carnivore is limited. Dr. Greger has an angle, just like Dr. Baker, Dr. Fung, Dr. Westman, Dr. Scher, Dr. Lenzkes...Glad to hear "plant-based" worked for you (and I am primarily "plant-based" myself); what diet works best for someone else is based on a thousand different factors individual to them.

It sounds like you have an angle as well since you run a metabolic health clinic. :D
Certainly I have an angle, but it has nothing to do with promoting a specific exclusionary diet.

But I take issue with you putting Greger and Baker in the same sentence and Greger's "angle" seems pretty simple, to not have millions of Americans and others die from preventable diseases.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

stay away from food!
Thanks!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:47 pm

But I take issue with you putting Greger and Baker in the same sentence and Greger's "angle" seems pretty simple, to not have millions of Americans and others die from preventable diseases.
And Baker's angle is somehow different :confused What about Sami Inkinen and Virta Health who have helped exponentially more people improve cardiometabolic health than Greger, with a totally different philosophy? They promote exclusionary diets, on polar opposite sides of the spectrum, preach the same results and cherry-pick data and use anecdotes to support their case. The research suggests, that when controlling for total intake and other lifestyle factors, neither one is wrong (or right).
GP813

Post by GP813 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm

And Baker's angle is somehow different :confused They both promote exclusionary diets, on polar opposite sides of the spectrum, preach the same results and cherry-pick data and use anecdotes to support their case. The research suggests, that when controlling for total intake and other lifestyle factors, neither one is wrong (or right).

The research does not suggest that, you just said there is no long term research on the carnivore diet in a previous post because there isn't. There is however a lot of research that shows plant based diets low or excluding animal consumption have tremendous health benefits for longevity and disease prevention.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 pm

And Baker's angle is somehow different :confused They both promote exclusionary diets, on polar opposite sides of the spectrum, preach the same results and cherry-pick data and use anecdotes to support their case. The research suggests, that when controlling for total intake and other lifestyle factors, neither one is wrong (or right).

The research does not suggest that, you just said there is no long term research on the carnivore diet in a previous post because there isn't. There is however a lot of research that shows plant based diets low or excluding animal consumption have tremendous health benefits for longevity and disease prevention.
Just so we're clear, your perspective is that physicians on the other side of this debate aren't trying to help people improve their health as well? I suggest you familiarize yourself with the incredible results of Virta Health (which I don't necessarily agree with or have any affiliation to).

You're more than welcome to provide your research which disproves what I said. This is what I do for a living and did my PhD dissertation on. Usually when "experts" are on totally different sides of the issue, critically examining the body of research makes it clear that the answer is in the middle. This issue is no different.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

A tough nut to discuss these topics with stoptothink.

From all my "research". The food is not the problem. :wink:

If you are overweight and have terrible health issues, it is 1) bad luck and 2) random gene failure 3) someone else's fault

Have a malady? Take some pills and keep eating exactly what you have been eating. Then hope for good luck and hitting gene luck. Or maybe both.

It works for my family members..at least until they die in their late 60/early 70s.

:beer

(I only stayed at a Holiday In Express 2 times)
GP813

Post by GP813 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:39 pm

You're more than welcome to provide your research which disproves what I said. This is what I do for a living and did my PhD dissertation on. Usually when "experts" are on totally different sides of the issue, critically examining the body of research makes it clear that the real answer is in the middle. This issue is no different.

What long term research shows that a heavily animal protein based diet is good for human health?

You are the one equating the diets as being equal, so what proof do you have?
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

HomerJ wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 pm I lost a bunch of weight eating slowly...

That's it. That was the key.

Instead of two hamburgers when I grilled out or two sandwiches for lunch, I'd have one.

Other times I tried to cut back to one sandwich or one burger or one pork chop, it was painful.

Because I'd eat at my normal speed, then try to use will power to not eat a second one... That was hard... because it was so good, and I was still hungry.

But the last time I tried to lose weight, I ate slowly, and that worked... I'd take 15-20 minutes to eat the first burger. or first pork chop.. Each bite was just as good, and I'd want another bite, but I had another bite coming, so there wasn't the same will-power contest....

Much easier will power contest to say "wait 1 minute for the next bite", as opposed to "Don't eat anything else until morning".

Eating slowly, after 20 minutes, I discovered I was full, and didn't crave the second burger or pork chop as much.

(also apples - great snack - fill you up).

:)
I'm going to try this. starting today. I eat way to fast. always finish before everyone around me - whether that's our family of 4 or extended family with 10-12 at a restaurant. thks for this tip!
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Kennedy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

It's so easy to give into temptation.

Any suggestions?
Cut salt, surgar, and bread out of your diet. No fake crap either fake sugar is worse than the real stuff.

Remember your body doesn’t have a way to tell you that it’s thirsty as potent as hunger. So sometimes when you are thinking you are hungry or just have a craving what you really are is thirsty. Drink water. As soon as you get hungry drink water, wait 30 mins after a glass of water. Still hungry? Okay now look for something g healthy.

Eat every 2-4 hours small meals. Let me be clear about what a small meal is. A hand full of almonds an apple and a cup of coffee. Half pound chicken breast with steamed veggies. Two eggs with one yoke. Any one of these could be considered a meal.

If you mess up don’t beat yourself up. Just climb back up on the horse throw the garbage food out of the house an start over again.

If you are going to cheat, cheat smarted. Homemade with natural ingredients is alot better for you than processed garbage. Substitute honey where there’s sugar. Spices peppers an such for salt.

No more than two fruit servings a day. A fruit serving is an apple. If you want water melon that’s fine, but the amount you eat should be the size of an apple.

A lot more pm me to talk if you’d like. I know it’s hard remember you have to want to be healthy not look good, that’s just a byproduct.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

Just so we're clear, your perspective is that physicians on the other side of this debate aren't trying to help people improve their health as well? I suggest you familiarize yourself with the incredible results of Virta Health (which I don't necessarily agree with or have any affiliation to).

You're more than welcome to provide your research which disproves what I said. This is what I do for a living and did my PhD dissertation on. Usually when "experts" are on totally different sides of the issue, critically examining the body of research makes it clear that the answer is in the middle. This issue is no different.
Sounds very compromised and not to the standards of good scientific research: no control group, biased financial conflict, and high dropout rate of participants in study.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/the-sk ... 4fad8bffd7

The Virta Health program has at its foundation a single study published in JMIR Diabetes (Journal of Medical Internet Research), a new e-site launch last year. All authors of this study disclosed a financial relationship with Virta Health and several also disclosed funding from Atkins Nutritionals, the National Dairy Council, and the Palm Oil Board. In short, 262 adults with DM2 were coached to follow a diet for 10 weeks described as having “total dietary carbohydrates 30 grams a day, protein of 1.5 grams/kg body weight, and dietary fats to satiety. Other aspects of the diet were individually prescribed to ensure safety, effectiveness, and satisfaction, including consumption of 3–5 servings of non-starchy vegetables and adequate mineral and fluid intake for the ketogenic state.” There was no control group. Only 238 patients completed the trial with a drop out of 10%. The findings included a baseline HgbA1C of 7.6% that fell by 1% in those who completed the study. One or more diabetes medication was reduced at the end of the trial in 57% of patients and body weight fell on average by 7%. Recently, 6 month follow-up of 108 of these subjects was reported on their website and show continued improvements in diabetic control.

The quality of this research program published in a e-journal not recognized as a leader, lacking a control group, experiencing a sizeable drop-out rate even though of short duration, and having 100% authorship with financial conflicts is of concern. For comparison, another research trial that used a low-fat plant based diet in patients with DM2 had a duration of 74 weeks, was published in a respected journal, had a control group, and had authors that had no corporate conflicts other than previously published books.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:50 pm

You're more than welcome to provide your research which disproves what I said. This is what I do for a living and did my PhD dissertation on. Usually when "experts" are on totally different sides of the issue, critically examining the body of research makes it clear that the real answer is in the middle. This issue is no different.

What long term research shows that a heavily animal protein based diet is good for human health?

You are the one equating the diets as being equal, so what proof do you have?
Are you looking for population-based cohort studies or the fact that there are cultures (ie. Inuits) who have consumed very little plant-based foods for centuries and experience little to no CVD? We have long-term data on "plant-based" diets because of guys like Ancel Keyes and Colin Chapman, both of whom literally made up data, and there are many areas of the world where animal protein is much harder to come by than plants. It is pretty obvious why longitudinal data on keto and carnivore is limited.

I probably eat a similar diet to you and am not a proponent of keto or carnivore (for most people), but I don't discount the current research and results of colleagues in my field who have had incredible results on a pretty large scale because they don't have decades of data.

I'll ask one more time, do you believe the countless medical professionals on the other side of the debate have a different goal than Dr. Greger?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Sounds very compromised and not to the standards of good scientific research: no control group, biased financial conflict, and high dropout rate of participants in study.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/the-sk ... 4fad8bffd7

The Virta Health program has at its foundation a single study published in JMIR Diabetes (Journal of Medical Internet Research), a new e-site launch last year. All authors of this study disclosed a financial relationship with Virta Health and several also disclosed funding from Atkins Nutritionals, the National Dairy Council, and the Palm Oil Board. In short, 262 adults with DM2 were coached to follow a diet for 10 weeks described as having “total dietary carbohydrates 30 grams a day, protein of 1.5 grams/kg body weight, and dietary fats to satiety. Other aspects of the diet were individually prescribed to ensure safety, effectiveness, and satisfaction, including consumption of 3–5 servings of non-starchy vegetables and adequate mineral and fluid intake for the ketogenic state.” There was no control group. Only 238 patients completed the trial with a drop out of 10%. The findings included a baseline HgbA1C of 7.6% that fell by 1% in those who completed the study. One or more diabetes medication was reduced at the end of the trial in 57% of patients and body weight fell on average by 7%. Recently, 6 month follow-up of 108 of these subjects was reported on their website and show continued improvements in diabetic control.

The quality of this research program published in a e-journal not recognized as a leader, lacking a control group, experiencing a sizeable drop-out rate even though of short duration, and having 100% authorship with financial conflicts is of concern. For comparison, another research trial that used a low-fat plant based diet in patients with DM2 had a duration of 74 weeks, was published in a respected journal, had a control group, and had authors that had no corporate conflicts other than previously published books.
They have now published 8 trials https://www.virtahealth.com/research. They are a medical facility, not a research entity; publishing RCTs is not their focus. They have treated tens of thousands of type 2 diabetics at this point.

I'm genuinely confused why you are trying to get into a plant-based - keto debate, with someone who probably has a very similar perspective to you, except they aren't a total evangelist who believes everyone who disagrees with them is wrong.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 pm The research does not suggest that, you just said there is no long term research on the carnivore diet in a previous post because there isn't. There is however a lot of research that shows plant based diets low or excluding animal consumption have tremendous health benefits for longevity and disease prevention.
There are companies patent and make profit off plant based diets. But they cannot patent animals (imagine they patent chicken or cow...).

Companies also benefit from highly processed food and not so much from whole food. Take a look around your local groceries store. Those companies put a lot of effort in attracting customers (from engineering the food so that it's highly palatable to the color of the packaging, etc.).

That tells me who has agenda and those who don't.
Time is the ultimate currency.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

My tips are as follows:
— eat all types of food, but less of it
— avoid fad diets like keto or vegetarian
— write down what you eat or, better yet, log them into an app
— exercise regularly, preferably a mix of cardio and strength
— limit alcohol and sweet drinks
GP813

Post by GP813 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm genuinely confused why you are trying to get into a plant-based - keto debate, with someone who probably has a very similar perspective to you, except they aren't a total evangelist who believes everyone who disagrees with them is wrong.
I did not. I just made a nice comment on Dr. Greger and you started with it doesn't matter what diet you choose and named that quack Baker. I honestly have a skeptical opinion of keto because it seems like the bulk of their success is with people who eat a clean plant based diet anyways. They just do it the hard way by consuming vegetables with lower carbs. There are also people with very specific diseases that I understand might benefit from Keto but this is not the majority of people.

I am not a diet evangelist but it's funny that as soon as you mention a plant based diet people get all defensive, that's so strange.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

H-Town wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:45 pm
GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 pm The research does not suggest that, you just said there is no long term research on the carnivore diet in a previous post because there isn't. There is however a lot of research that shows plant based diets low or excluding animal consumption have tremendous health benefits for longevity and disease prevention.
There are companies patent and make profit off plant based diets. But they cannot patent animals (imagine they patent chicken or cow...).

Companies also benefit from highly processed food and not so much from whole food. Take a look around your local groceries store. Those companies put a lot of effort in attracting customers (from engineering the food so that it's highly palatable to the color of the packaging, etc.).

That tells me who has agenda and those who don't.

This is false. Just look at the USDA and watch an annual session when they have open commentary from the public. Meat and Dairy have an outsized influence on nutritional guidelines as do the junk food and beverage makers. You will never see a primetime TV ad for Broccoli.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GP813 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:50 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

I did not. I just made a nice comment on Dr. Greger and you started with it doesn't matter what diet you choose and named that quack Baker. I honestly have a skeptical opinion of keto because it seems like the bulk of their success is with people who eat a clean plant based diet anyways. They just do it the hard way by consuming vegetables with lower carbs. There are also people with very specific diseases that I understand might benefit from Keto but this is not the majority of people.

I am not a diet evangelist but it's funny that as soon as you mention a plant based diet people get all defensive, that's so strange.
I would wager I am at least as familiar with Dr. Greger as you are (if not, I am really crappy at my job). I simply stated that he is an evangelist on one side of the lipid hypothesis debate, one who is no more proven or credible than evangelists on the other side. After all, he has made a heck of a lot more $ being a "plant-based diet" guru than actually treating patients and he absolutely cherry-picks data https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ho ... ITLE_HDR_2 (similar to everybody). Your response:

"Greger's "angle" seems pretty simple, to not have millions of Americans and others die from preventable diseases."

That suggest to me that you believe everybody on the other side has a different goal (correct me if I am wrong), including those who are treating patients daily. I have patients in my facility that have experienced great results going vegan, carnivore, and everything in between. I am primarily plant-based myself. I have no dog in this fight, except to help people too (and I'm not selling a book or my speaking or consulting). Your close-mindedness is kind of scary, but sadly not uncommon when it comes to this topic.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

An article in today's NYT (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/well ... ction=Well) discussed recent studies linking resistance training to fat loss. According to the article's summary, resistance training initiated a molecular process after the workout in which our muscles released a sort of biological messenger into the bloodstream. The message, which apparently targeted fat cells, then told those fat cells to break apart. This would suggest that whatever the connection is between resistance training and fat loss is that is not likely coincidental since there appears to be some type of biological mechanism that accounts for it.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

MoonOrb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:18 pm An article in today's NYT (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/well ... ction=Well) discussed recent studies linking resistance training to fat loss. According to the article's summary, resistance training initiated a molecular process after the workout in which our muscles released a sort of biological messenger into the bloodstream. The message, which apparently targeted fat cells, then told those fat cells to break apart. This would suggest that whatever the connection is between resistance training and fat loss is that is not likely coincidental since there appears to be some type of biological mechanism that accounts for it.
This is what I gained from real life experience. I've tried many form of exercises and resistance training is the best form of exercises to maintain weight. For bogleheads love the compounding interest machine & passive investment, I think there should be more interests into resistance training. It's like your body doing the work for you throughout the day to burn the calorie, without you have to do anything.
Time is the ultimate currency.
JDonaghy

Post by JDonaghy »

Adding on what i can:
Only make incremental changes slowly over time that you can sustain. Its like investing, play the long game. Don't be a day trader (try a random crash diet) because its not sustainable. I once read about working out the goal is only to stress the body enough to stimulate positive change, you don't have to push yourself that hard. But you need to do it consistently. That's how we get stronger or better at anything. I like that philosophy and apply it elsewhere.

Here's what I do in making incremental changes - in addition to exercising - and I do these in this priority more or less
1) Minimize the calorie density of my food - which essentially means to eat more natural foods. Fruits, vegetable and lean proteins are hard to eat that many calories of. Go ahead and eat a whole baked potato, let me know how you feel. It also means you aren't hungry, bc your belly is full..
2) Drink lots of water
3) Don't eat late at night
4) Minimize dessert
5) Minimize alcohol to weekends only
6) Skip breakfast to do some light fasting (I like this and feel it prevents me from overeating at lunch)
7) Minimize dairy
8) Don't overeat. I read a thing how the Japanese only eat until they are 80% full. It takes a whiel for stomach and brain to get in sync so if you stop eating when you feel hungry you won't feel too full later.
9) Minimize bread
10) Accept the feeling of mild hunger. You get used to it and actually my energy is better when I'm not so weight down by food

Tinker with these steps for what works for you
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Elsebet wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 am I was really skeptical of the current keto fad, but I read a book about it by Mark Sisson called "The Keto Reset Diet" after seeing him on Joe Rogan. I was already eating 2 meals a day (usually noon and about 4pm) but I wasn't really losing any weight. After reading it I decided to just cut down on sugar/carbs and not eliminate them entirely. First I started weighing the honey I put in my daily hot tea, I was shocked to realize I was using over 2 tablespoons per tea! I weaned that down to 1tbs, and now in the summer I find I don't want hot tea at all. When I do occasionally have a hot tea, 1 tablespoon of honey is now very sweet, I do not understand how I tolerated so much honey before.

Instead of eating desserts, I now have one square of dark chocolate. Instead of getting meals heavy in carbs at Mexican restaurants, I order a chicken fajita salad. Instead of rice/potatoes I just eat more veggies like zucchini, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. I do have a spoonful of rice sometimes. I also eat one serving of tortilla chips with my weekly nachos. For sides at restaurants I steer towards veggies instead of starches. For fruit I eat mostly berries. For me I think it was sugar causing my issues other than carbs, but I still try to avoid too much carbs where possible. I do still eat my sourdough bread/pretzels but try to limit that to 1x/week.

Over the last two months I've lost at least 15 lbs without feeling deprived at all. I can wake up and not eat until very late in the afternoon without feeling any ill effects. I now find sweet things almost unbearable to eat and crave fat & protein. I am not bloated/gassy anymore. For me it's really been a life changer and I hope to eat this way the rest of my life.
that is awesome!
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 pm My tips are as follows:
the trouble with the first one "eat all types of food, but less of it" is that grocery stores are filled with carb/sugar based foods. i'm doing lazy keto and when i shop i feel like i am swimming in a sea of carbs. i think there is an analogy here with investing. when i shop i have to "tune out the noise"

what i have found doing lazy keto is that it is a lot easier to eat less food. you just don't feel as hungry.

I would really recommend this book, the obesity code by Dr. Jason Fung.
https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unl ... 8&qid=&sr=

cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Phaethon

Post by Phaethon »

I've been doing carnivore for about 3.5 years and raw carnivore (predominantly steak, liver, heart, and eggs) for about 2 years and it's worked tremendously well for me. I got there through a common path of first paleo and then keto before finally going carnivore (I got my girlfriend at the time into keto and then she learned of carnivore and got me on to that). At first it seemed faddish but the more I read and learned (Paul Saladino was instrumental to this) and finally experimented, the more convinced I became of it, especially from an evolutionary perspective. But that's just my N=1 experiment, I agree that people should do whatever works for them. In particular, though, I've found that OMAD carnivore has worked well for maintaining a healthy weight (actually too low, I need to eat a bit more) because the protein and fat is satiating so I typically eat my meal in the first couple of hours of the day and don't get hungry again until I'm ready to go to bed, if that. Keeps me from having any desire to snack during the day and has completely eliminated my taste for sweetness.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

grok87 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 pm My tips are as follows:
the trouble with the first one "eat all types of food, but less of it" is that grocery stores are filled with carb/sugar based foods. i'm doing lazy keto and when i shop i feel like i am swimming in a sea of carbs. i think there is an analogy here with investing. when i shop i have to "tune out the noise"

what i have found doing lazy keto is that it is a lot easier to eat less food. you just don't feel as hungry.
Ok, just to clarify, by "all types of food" I meant the basic foods in the USDA food pyramid, not the processed food in the grocery store. I personally buy all my produce and bread at the farmers market, and buy mostly meat and a few odds and ends at the grocery store.

Full disclosure: I am a recovered keto dieter.
facchina

Post by facchina »

This has worked for me. Down 50 pounds. Ended daily headaches (probably sign of onset Type 2 Diabetes). Sustained for 2 years. I no longer have cravings; I used to always be munching and feel the desire to munch. It does not feel like work.

By every measure, I am better and healthy.

https://nsng.vinnietortorich.com/get-the-nsng-pdf/

Why does it work? (1) Simple (2) You eat real food (3) Limits sugar intake which helps control calories and "restores" appetite control to something that is more "natural"

I eat more fruit than most on the diet would suggest. I have not seen any negative impact.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

First, move away from using the word "diet." That has a temporary contextual meaning. The true goal is not weight loss but maintaining it. Most of us have dieted many times, but it is not until we make a lifestyle change that it sticks, and that usually occurs when we begin thinking seriously about longer term benefits than immediate ones such as going to a class reunion, marriage ceremonies, getting rid of the "Covid15," etc. One thing that personally helps when in spite of making a lifestyle change that there is weight gain is to weigh frequently enough to know when the gain has been more than 2-3 pounds and cut back to the desired weight immediately. Another that works for me is to not focus on calories, carbs, etc. in a detailed sense but to be aware that cutting calories is really the only way to burn up more than are consumed. Exercise is great for many things but calorie consumption/burning ratios are of greater significance since an hour's workout can be easily supplanted by a couple of donuts and a cup of coffee afterward. A simple decision, though "simple" does not mean easy is to pretty much eat whatever is wanted within reason at meals and absolutely nothing between meals. That allows eating desserts or other typically forbidden foods moderately but eliminates opening the fridge and grazing when bored or just noticing something enticing. The real key was to decide whether your focus is long or short term oriented and to make a lifestyle change if it is the latter. Just gotta find something that works for you. Note: My change started with a diet related to a son's upcoming marriage ceremony and morphed into a lifestyle change in its sixth year after losing 30 pounds.

Tim
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Nowizard wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:12 am First, move away from using the word "diet." That has a temporary contextual meaning. The true goal is not weight loss but maintaining it. Most of us have dieted many times, but it is not until we make a lifestyle change that it sticks, and that usually occurs when we begin thinking seriously about longer term benefits than immediate ones such as going to a class reunion, marriage ceremonies, getting rid of the "Covid15," etc. One thing that personally helps when in spite of making a lifestyle change that there is weight gain is to weigh frequently enough to know when the gain has been more than 2-3 pounds and cut back to the desired weight immediately. Another that works for me is to not focus on calories, carbs, etc. in a detailed sense but to be aware that cutting calories is really the only way to burn up more than are consumed. Exercise is great for many things but calorie consumption/burning ratios are of greater significance since an hour's workout can be easily supplanted by a couple of donuts and a cup of coffee afterward. A simple decision, though "simple" does not mean easy is to pretty much eat whatever is wanted within reason at meals and absolutely nothing between meals. That allows eating desserts or other typically forbidden foods moderately but eliminates opening the fridge and grazing when bored or just noticing something enticing. The real key was to decide whether your focus is long or short term oriented and to make a lifestyle change if it is the latter. Just gotta find something that works for you. Note: My change started with a diet related to a son's upcoming marriage ceremony and morphed into a lifestyle change in its sixth year after losing 30 pounds.

Tim
congratulations on your weight loss and lifestyle change, that is awesome.

My own two cents is that approaches like "focus on calories, eat less" and "don't eat between meals" is not helpful for most people. it doesn't get to the root cause as to why people over-eat and why they are hungry all the time and eat between meals. IMHO that is because of our sugar heavy and carb heavy diets. many people who do keto or low-carb find that they are not as hungry all the time. some even move to a one meal day diet (OMAD).

now all this may sound crazy to someone who has not tried keto/low-carb. if it does, my advice is- try it for a week or so and see what happens...

cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

3+ years ago. Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Lost 35 pounds. Never gained it back. For me, it was all about developing new habits.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

When I fast, I pray or read a bit Bible to help me get over it. Usually 10 minutes later, the urge goes away. So far this is the post powerful help to resist the temptation of eating.
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

The COVID diet, I have had no sense of taste or smell since October. Because I can't taste sweets, I have no temptation to eat them. I can't smell when someone is cooking something good. I basically just eat to survive now. I've lost 60 pounds without even trying. The last couple of months I've added intermittent fasting and cut out refined carbs and that's really accelerated the weight loss. I hope my senses never come back.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Bigt3142 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:51 am The COVID diet, I have had no sense of taste or smell since October. Because I can't taste sweets, I have no temptation to eat them. I can't smell when someone is cooking something good. I basically just eat to survive now. I've lost 60 pounds without even trying. The last couple of months I've added intermittent fasting and cut out refined carbs and that's really accelerated the weight loss. I hope my senses never come back.
lol
RIP Mr. Bogle.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Count calories, which means weighing your portions. When I am dieting I limit myself to 1200 calories per day and lose two pounds a week.
After I have achieved my target weight I will continue to weigh portions, but will increase the daily calorie limit to 1800.

Aerobic exercise helps. Even though it doesn't burn a lot of calories, it suppresses the appetite.

Weigh yourself daily. It is very encouraging to see losing some part of a pound nearly every day.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

My plan is to do IF starting 16/8 and keep shortening the window by 1 hour every month unless you lose weight. Eventually we'll all get to 24/0 and we're sure to lose weight.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Grok: I don't disagree that perceived hunger is a major issue but would state it with some elaboration. There are always reasons not to be successful with desired changes, hunger, basically withdrawal of sorts, being factors with many of them such as weight gain, substance abuse, smoking, etc. A focus on reducing those factors is another tool for many. However, I would conclude that the ultimate factor is whether there is an emotional, meaning important personal, reason that endures and is not temporary that spurs us to accept the immediate unpleasantness that occurs with less eating until our stomach or whatever adapts. Our behaviors have reasons for continuing, even those that are dysfunctional, so they serve a need even if illogical or harmful. Take away the behavior and the underlying discomfort it is designed to control appears. Masking it is great if Keto works but is only a diet unless it becomes the permanent eating pattern or is a step toward a broader lifestyle change. Just an opinion that really says nothing more than we have to find our own way with many things having no absolute answers.

Tim
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

The main goal for weight loss has to be eating less calories, so you have some sort of a calorie deficit. But to be able to do so without feeling hungry, lots of protein is key. It's filling, low in calories (if lean), and is important in keeping muscle while losing weight. Just think of how filling a 5 oz. piece of chicken breast is vs. a small bag of lays potato chips. They are both around 160 calories, yet you get 32 grams of protein with the chicken, which will fill you up better. I think it's important to have a good amount of protein with every meal, and if you need to supplement with a scoop of whey powder here and there, go for it. I think if you take your goal weight, having that amount in grams of protein (or a little less) is a good goal.

As a side note, once you get to a certain weight, losing more doesn't necessarily mean that you'll look better. There are a ton of people whose before and after pictures look completely different at the same weight, and it's because they've been weight training. It is usually far easier to cut 400 calories per day of junk vs. burning 400 calories a day on a treadmill. A treadmill has a place in overall health, but if you want to look good, I think diet and weight training is far more important.

This is a great resource:

https://anymanfitness.com/wp-content/up ... Loss-1.pdf
BogleKev

Post by BogleKev »

Many people on a weight loss regimen (including me) are able to stick with it and lose weight when life is predictable and the habits you need to maintain (food choices, exercise, stress reduction, sleep) are easy to hold to. My advice: Have a plan for when things in your life go sideways. For when you have to suddenly travel for work, or an elderly parent gets ill and you need to move in with them temporarily, or you suffer a minor injury but one that keeps you from exercising, or for that big vacation week at the shore with all that awesome fried seafood and cold beer around you.
Whenever I have strayed and fallen on my weight loss journey, it has always been when my daily routine is somehow disrupted or changed and I lose the predictable support framework and habits I have built. PS - I just got back from a great vacation week and am in the thick of this issue myself right now.. Good luck.
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

Tip: Allow yourself some wiggle room!

Moderate whatever weight loss diet that was initially successful for you. Many beat themselves up and quit (me included) because they cannot maintain an unreasonably strict diet. Modify it to make it sustainable for the long term. Be creative. Allow a forbidden food or drink into the mix once in a while. Allow cheats during important social events, and maybe even lax up a bit on the weekend. For instance, beer is bad for me, but if going to an event and I want to enjoy a couple - I do it. It's the day-in day-out that matters, not the special events, birthday party.

I am at my high school wrestling weight at 57, and have maintained it for years. Yeah, there could be some genetics involved but I attribute most of it to eating habits. Exercise has helped a little.

This wont work for everyone but here is my current successful long term plan:
  • Every day: No sugary carb heavy stuff early in the day. Essential. Muffins and cereal are best saved for desert if eaten at all.
  • M-F: IF/no eating from 6PM to 2PM OR 6PM to 12 PM depending upon how I am feeling that day. Don't overdo carbs/sugar during this time. Make fish and/or chicken the main course (most of the time).
  • Weekend: Generally eat from 12 PM to 7 PM, with very little carb restriction most of the time.
    - no beer, no sugary cocktails, just red wine and in moderation
shapeshifter
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

PBS has a rerun on TV where I live called Food - Delicious Science. It explores why we respond to certain foods, both biologically and psychologically.

For myself, I simply keep trigger foods out of the house: no sugar, no wheat, no yeast. I've not had any since Jan. 2020. No red meat in over 50 years; no pork or shellfish and limited dairy (don't like fish other than canned salmon). Knowing the triggers and the psychology helps me.

In the end, what works for one person doesn't for another. Some folks can do weight watchers, I can't. One bit of sugar and I'm off on a roll. How can someone not eat an entire pint of ice-cream? How do they stop?

A bit of a sweet craving today so its Greek yogurt with sliced bananas.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
mtn biker

Post by mtn biker »

First, everyone is different. What works for someone else might not work for you, so just need to keep trying different things, and be honest with yourself, you probably know what will work and what won't before you start.

For me it is structural. No candy kept in the office at work, I won't go to the vending machine but I'll open the drawer if it's in the office. Nothing unhealthy at home. No ice cream in the fridge, no chips in the cupboard, no frozen pizzas, nothing but veggies and decent food that you wouldn't feel guilty for eating any time of the day. If you have a family at home this is hard, but really, they shouldn't be eating crap either, and if they love you they can help you out. Spouse can keep a stash hidden from you if they need to, just make sure they don't tell you about it.

When deciding where to go out to eat, I don't go where I'll be tempted to eat bad food. That means I eat out less, and I miss out on some tasty food. Sucks, but I know I can't trust myself in some places, so I don't go there unless I have a good reason, and then rarely.

If I avoid being around bad food, I enjoy what I do have without having to plan each and every bit of food I eat. I have some healthy options around the house, salads and low fat low carb options with decent variety, and since it's all that is there I eat it and enjoy it.

The best advice I ever saw was from Pollan: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Probably the first two words are most important. "Eat food" means to eat real food -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish and meat -- and to avoid what Pollan calls "edible food-like substances."
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I have found the ProgressPics reddit to be very motivational to keep me going. Real people improving their life, posting before/after photos, and most share what they are doing to achieve their progress...which is mostly, surprise, reducing calories/KETO, eating healthier, and physical exercise.

NSFW (not safe for work) https://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/
shell921

Post by shell921 »

Calorie Density is the most important factor for food.

forget glycemic index....this has very little practical effect.

Forget simple vs. complex carbs. Too much confusion.

A good carb is one that is UNrefined and UNprocessed.
The refining process reduces water, fiber and nutrients (basically everything that would make food FOOD!).

In healthy populations, 80-90% of the diet consumed is complex carbs.

Calorie density is the number of calories per pound. There is a range in foods of more than 40 times from lowest to highest. We are much more likely to overeat those foods that are high in calorie density.

1# of broccoli = 128 calories
1# of oreos = 2197 cal.
1# of oil = 4000 cal.

Years ago-I had to relearn how to cook. I had to quit trying to make elaborate meals and make simple things.
Beans, rice, veggies, lentils, potatoes, pasta.
the best way to eat is
VERY simple. But it's varied too! How about simple variety ??! 2-3 starches, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, or grains. For veggies, there are a ton of frozen veggie mixes that provide a swath of different veggies already chopped up and ready to heat (green and yellow veggies, leafy greens, less dense starches, etc...)
Or fresh veggies cut & steamed in the basket with the rice/grains and perhaps some beans as well. Soups are simple foods and we would have soup almost every day. Oatmeal is so simple --the way I make it-- and it's fabulously good & healthy. A salad and an oil free dressing is not much trouble.

And of course a few different fruits each day - you can simply eat them as they are.

So that's it--potatoes, rice, other grains, lentils, oats, veggies, beans soups & fruits. Nothing simpler.

Simple and a variety too Simple to prepare and eat, a variety of real food goodness.

No counting calories, points, carbs, or GI scores, no necessity for special formulas or foods, and no starving oneself.
And for weight loss/maintenance, it's the holy grail.

How about simple variety !

soups are important. nutritious and filling- bean soups, veggie soups, lentil soups - all
these are nourishing and satisfying. so if you like soups you can make
a few in large amounts every so often and freeze what you don't eat in a day or two.
that way you'll always have some soups on hand.

In the old days, for most people, meals were simple: porridge for breakfast, soups for lunch, and a stew for dinner.

Easy to plan your meals around a single dish, possibly supplementing it with a salad or vegetable side dish. Think of pasta with a topping, or rice covered with a sauce, or just plain soup and wholesome bread.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... pumary.htm

Eating this way has taught me to think of food as fuel rather than as a means of entertainment, so I no longer need constant variety and elaborate recipes. Putting a few complimentary ingredients together is simple and easy and I'm happy.

Simple and variety Simple to prepare and eat, a variety of real food goodness. No need to fuss and
make food complicated.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

shell921 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 pm Calorie Density is the most important factor for food.

The refining process reduces water, fiber and nutrients (basically everything that would make food FOOD!).

Calorie density is the number of calories per pound. There is a range in foods of more than 40 times from lowest to highest. We are much more likely to overeat those foods that are high in calorie density.

1# of oreos = 2197 cal.
1# of oil = 4000 cal.

Years ago-I had to relearn how to cook. I had to quit trying to make elaborate meals and make simple things.
the best way to eat is
VERY simple. But it's varied too! How about simple variety ??! 2-3 starches, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, or grains. For veggies, there are a ton of frozen veggie mixes that provide a swath of different veggies already chopped up and ready to heat (green and yellow veggies, leafy greens, less dense starches, etc...)
Or fresh veggies cut & steamed in the basket with the rice/grains and perhaps some beans as well. Soups are simple foods and we would have soup almost every day. Oatmeal is so simple --the way I make it-- and it's fabulously good & healthy. A salad and an oil free dressing is not much trouble.

And of course a few different fruits each day - you can simply eat them as they are.

So that's it--potatoes, rice, other grains, lentils, oats, veggies, beans soups & fruits. Nothing simpler.

Simple and a variety too Simple to prepare and eat, a variety of real food goodness.

No counting calories, points, carbs, or GI scores, no necessity for special formulas or foods, and no starving oneself.

soups are important. nutritious and filling- bean soups, veggie soups, lentil soups - all
a few in large amounts every so often and freeze what you don't eat in a day or two.

In the old days, for most people, meals were simple: porridge for breakfast, soups for lunch, and a stew for dinner.

Easy to plan your meals around a single dish, possibly supplementing it with a salad or vegetable side dish. Think of pasta with a topping, or rice covered with a sauce, or just plain soup and wholesome bread.

Eating this way has taught me to think of food as fuel rather than as a means of entertainment, so I no longer need constant variety and elaborate recipes. Putting a few complimentary ingredients together is simple and easy and I'm happy.

Simple and variety Simple to prepare and eat, a variety of real food goodness. No need to fuss and
make food complicated.
Agree, it's multitudes better to have less refinement...brown rice, whole wheat (preferably milled by stone yourself, not store bought, CFR Title 21 part 137 regulated whole wheat flour trash)...etc.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

shell921 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 pm Calorie Density is the most important factor for food.

1# of oreos = 2197 cal.
1# of oil = 4000 cal.

the best way to eat is

make food complicated.
Well said.

You just described a "whole food, plant based" lifestyle.

I can eat the same simple things over and over by changing the delivery method and changing the flavor with spices and hot sauces and other ways.

This stuff also has to pass the "does it seem rational" to me. This does in every way. I'm at the beginning of year 3 of eating this way.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

bloom2708 posted:
Well said.

You just described a "whole food, plant based" lifestyle.

I can eat the same simple things over and over by changing the delivery method and changing the flavor with spices and hot sauces and other ways.

This stuff also has to pass the "does it seem rational" to me. This does in every way. I'm at the beginning of year 3 of eating this way.

bloom- thanks and stick with it! Yes it is exactly that- a whole foods plant based lifestyle ! Diets do not work.
You have to change your life.

Prior to 2007 my hubby had lost weight [ 20-24 pounds various times during the years 1996-2006 ] on different "diets" but he always gained it back again. I even had a copy of Dr. John McDougall's Program for Maximum Weight Loss book that I had picked up years before but had never read thoroughly. So, after hubby had to get 2 stents [ 2010] I remembered Dr Mc Dougall's approach was a no meat & no dairy one. So I went on-line and found Dr John Mc Dougall's website. I closely read the info on there and it somehow just made so much sense. There was no pseudo-science about "miracle" foods, no exhortations to buy every supplement known to man, no magic formulas, no calorie, carb, fat or protein counting or ratio balancing, and no exhaustive exercising.
The message was simple: eat real whole food, as much as would satisfy, whenever you were hungry, cut out or limit the fatty foods, and eliminate the meat and dairy and oil. Essentially, do what your mama always told you: eat your fruits and veggies! There was one twist though: focus the majority of your food on satiating starches such as potatoes, grains, and beans.
That just made so much sense to me. After all it’s the food that Mother Nature provides; how could we have survived as a species without it? It appealed to my understanding of science. I decided right then and there that hubby & I had nothing to lose and everything to gain by TRYING it for 30 days. so after talking to him about how I thought we should just "try" it for 30 days and then re-evaluate, we started the program. We ate everything recommended: plain, simple foods in their natural state, and it was good! It didn't just taste good but the food was so quick and easy to make as well. I know how to cook fancy & complicated but with the Mc Dougall way of eating you don't have to. I could easily throw a potato in the microwave and top it off with some nice spicy salsa, steam some fresh green beans, and make a big green salad with all sorts of raw veggies. And Dr McDougall said to eat till you were satisfied, so hubby did.
If after one plateful of food hubby was still hungry he could go back for seconds, and even thirds. He never left the table hungry. Being a volume eater, this way of eating fit him perfectly. He could eat foods that satisfied his taste buds and hunger drive. I told him to never worry about staying full. If he got hungry he could just eat; simple as that. He didn't need to worry about how many meals or snacks he had as long as the food was compliant with the program. I wasn't overweight and I had normal cholesterol and BP but I went on this way of eating to support him and felt so much better and after my taste buds changed, I did not miss eggs, cheese, oil etc.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

shell921 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 pm
bloom- thanks and stick with it! Yes it is exactly that- a whole foods plant based lifestyle ! Diets do not work.
You have to change your life.
We have found it quite refreshing to not buy meat when the prices have been crazy. We always find beans for super cheap.

Also not worrying about meat cleanup and cooking thoroughly enough. Getting freezer burn, eggs going bad. It is just easier.

We probably spend about the same on groceries because we buy more fresh fruits and veggies.

Good luck on your journey!