Stale Gasoline?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Stale Gasoline?

Post by runner9 »

Obviously, we aren't driving much these days during the stay at home order.

Our grocery store gives us credits for grocery to use on gas or groceries. Right now we have enough to get up to 30 gallons of gas for 17 cents a gallon. They credits could be used for 20% off groceries, which isn't as good as deal--we buy about half our groceries there. These credits expire in about 2 weeks.

I'm debating getting the 30 gallons, about half in my wife's car and half in gas cans in the garage, as I normally do. She normally drives her 2012 Kia Sorento about 40 miles a day and goes through this gas in a few weeks. Not the case right now.

Is the gas going to go stale and affect a modern engine? Should we just use them on groceries (saving less money but still something) and then just get a few gallons at a time in her car?

I drive a hybrid plug in and don't need gas anytime soon. We probably drive 20 miles a week right now.

Thoughts appreciated.
jebmke

Re: Stale Gasoline?

Post by jebmke »

Why would you keep 15 gallons of gas in your garage?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Just put a can of stabilizer in it. Will be fine.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You could start a gas delivery service or store the gas at your business. These options are explored here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjwU8AzFgms
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

20% off an unlimited number of groceries? Can't you just make that the better deal by stocking up a bit.
Gas is so cheap right now - storing 15 gallons in gas cans in your garage for future use hardly seems worth the trouble - even if free.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Just no. It's not worth the hassle or the increased hazard to be storing significant extra gas in your garage.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:05 pm Why would you keep 15 gallons of gas in your garage?
I'm on the east cost and have 60 in mine. Generator been running since this morning and I'm on gallon #6.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I was listening to the Consumer Reports Talking Cars podcast (it's on YouTube) and they recommended keeping the tank full to minimize evaporation, which is what causes the gas to deteriorate. They said up to 3 months is fine. (I also have a PHEV, a Chevy Volt, which I believe will allow the gas to sit for up to a year before the system uses up the gas.)
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

It's safe to store the gas, and add fuel stabilizer (10oz treats up to 50 gallons). You said you normally store gasoline in your garage but I personally wouldn't go through the hassle just to save a few bucks (and I'm very cheap!). I keep a 5 gallon container for yard equipment and that's it. To each their own!
Light weight baby!
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

If nothing else, you can point the fire marshal to this discussion to explain why you had 15 gallons of gas sitting around in your garage :D .

Unless, of course, this is the part of your plan where you're establishing your alibi :D :D .
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
joe-kr

Post by joe-kr »

I try to keep 20 gallons in my shed (4 five gallon containers). In the summer, it’s used for the lawn tractor, and in the winter, mostly for the generator and snow blower.

But this past winter, I did not use either. I find it’s a pain to rotate and keep them filled. But I will be happy I have them if, or when there is another week long power failure like back in 2012 (Hurricane Sandy).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

curmudgeon wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:12 pm Just no. It's not worth the hassle or the increased hazard to be storing significant extra gas in your garage.
On the other hand, you would be sitting pretty if you need to bug out.
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

runner9 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 pm Obviously, we aren't driving much these days during the stay at home order.

Our grocery store gives us credits for grocery to use on gas or groceries. Right now we have enough to get up to 30 gallons of gas for 17 cents a gallon. They credits could be used for 20% off groceries, which isn't as good as deal--we buy about half our groceries there. These credits expire in about 2 weeks.

I'm debating getting the 30 gallons, about half in my wife's car and half in gas cans in the garage, as I normally do. She normally drives her 2012 Kia Sorento about 40 miles a day and goes through this gas in a few weeks. Not the case right now.

Is the gas going to go stale and affect a modern engine? Should we just use them on groceries (saving less money but still something) and then just get a few gallons at a time in her car?

I drive a hybrid plug in and don't need gas anytime soon. We probably drive 20 miles a week right now.

Thoughts appreciated.
Saving a few bucks on gas is not life changing
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Spend $1000 to build a secure storage bunker under your back yard. Then you can properly store these 30 gallons of gas that you are saving a few dollars on
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

runner9 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 pm Is the gas going to go stale and affect a modern engine?
In short no. On our farm we buy 500 gallons of gas at a whack and store it upwards of a year with no problems. In fact, I take stale gas that I didn't get burned in my snow blower this past winter and dump it in my vehicles to use it up. Just make sure the container is air tight so humid air doesn't get inside and condense.
Small Savanna

Post by Small Savanna »

I'd think twice about having 15 gallons of a highly flammable and volatile liquid in my garage, unless it's not connected to the house.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

I doubt the savings would outstrip the cost of the jerry cans. Please don’t use unapproved containers.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I’m not a small-engine expert, but I’ve had repeated problems with my NJ snow-blower gasoline. This is within six months of purchase and with generous stabilizer usage. I even use premium gas at the mechanic’s recommendation. I put the remainder of the 5 gallon can in my car, gradually, in the spring.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:08 pm You could start a gas delivery service or store the gas at your business. These options are explored here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjwU8AzFgms
:D :D This is great!!

Do you have to take 30 gallons all at once?? Fill your tanks. The gas will not stale!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:06 am I doubt the savings would outstrip the cost of the jerry cans. Please don’t use unapproved containers.
At his stated 17 cents a gallon, I'd think his savings would exceed the container cost for regular plastic gas cans. I do gas points also and do the gas can runs along with filling my car and have been doing this for 3 years. But with 4 of us driving, the cans get emptied soon after I arrive home. I'll use a tiny amount in my lawn mower but all our other tools use other fuels. Chainsaws (3 of them) use premium mixed with oil and tractor uses diesel....which can be used for our oil burner in the house. I'm curious who allows 30 gallons these days at the discount. Stop & Shop have put the brakes on their program and limited the amount to 20 gallons and discount to $1.50 per gallon. Before that, I was able to get 36 gallons for 38 cents total. Ah....those were the days.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

runner9 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:00 pm Obviously, we aren't driving much these days during the stay at home order.

Thoughts appreciated.
You seem to say you keep 15 gallons in cans you already have all the time so I would not be concerned about it going back within a few months. You must do something with the gas you usually keep in the cans, otherwise why would you have it normally? I would not buy new cans to keep the gas. I guess you could put stabilizer in the gas but that would eat into your savings. I would keep the car tank full, so today that uses up 15 gallons of your 30 gallon limit.
motorcyclesarecool

I misunderstood; I thought it was a 17¢ discount per gallon. But the math still doesn’t seem to work.

Cheapest can I can find is $23.98 for 5 gallons at my local Lowe’s. USA Average price according to GasBuddy.com is $1.83. So I’d have to pay $24.83 to purchase and store $9.15 worth of gas.

If I turn to Harbor Freight, the best value is $22.99 for 5 gallons. Their 10 gallon cans start at $69.99.

Looks like Target has 5 gallon cans for $13.25. Still not economic.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
motorcyclesarecool

Now I understand that I utterly misread the question. OP already has the cans. Squirt some Sta-bil in there and keep them away from light & heat.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

joe-kr wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm I try to keep 20 gallons in my shed (4 five gallon containers). In the summer, it’s used for the lawn tractor, and in the winter, mostly for the generator and snow blower.

But this past winter, I did not use either. I find it’s a pain to rotate and keep them filled. But I will be happy I have them if, or when there is another week long power failure like back in 2012 (Hurricane Sandy).
I do similar, storing 10 gallons. Good to have on hand for the generator in case of power failures as you might not be able to go get gas when its most needed.

I manage to rotate it every 6 month though the lawn tractor and snow blower, but on occasion I don't the leftover gets dumped into the car.

OP: Having said the above, I wouldn't go the extra step to increase that to 30 gallons right now with no clear idea of when it will get used. There is also the safety issue of having that much gas around. If you do buy some, dose each can with Stabil or Seafoam at the "long term storage" ratio and make sure the cans are truly air tight (If they inflate a bit from heat expansion on exposure to sunglight that's a good sign). Keep them out of hte sun, and away from extreme hot/cold. Should be good for 1-2 years treated and stored like that.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

joe-kr wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 pm I try to keep 20 gallons in my shed (4 five gallon containers). In the summer, it’s used for the lawn tractor, and in the winter, mostly for the generator and snow blower.

Yes - we keep just about 20 gallons in containers in the shed as well. Used one 5 gallon container just yesterday with this past storm (4/13) knocking out the electric service - it fed the portable genset for a day.
As you say , during Sandy we were without power for 11 days at home.
We also have about 90 gallons in a boat that we can access if necessary but its is a pain to drain the fuel out the back compared to the 5 gallon jugs.
Easy to rotate fuel during the summer and just add stabil and label the containers with a date.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

OP here. Thank you all. Every time our FuelPerks are close to expiring I buy 30 gallons. I little over half in my wife's SUV, the rest in 3 gasoline cans I've owned for years. About a week after doing this her tank is mostly empty and I pour most or all of the gas from the cans into the gas tank. Wait 3 months (With normal fillups in the middle) and repeat.

There are many people at the grocery store's gas stations doing the same. Regardless, we are just going to try to stock up (limit is $200) and get 20% off the next time we go grocery shopping.

For the record the credit is $1.30 off a gallon, up to 30 gallons. Right now the closest gas station that takes the credits is $1.49 so it would be 19 cents a gallon. Costco is $1.15 a gallon, their current price. Sorry for the confusion.