is a $1000+ herman miller office chair worth the investment?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: is a $1000+ herman miller office chair worth the investment?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

minimalistmarc wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:56 am It’s not an “investment”
Thank you. Beat me to it. It’s salesperson talk to frame expensive items as investments. Some number of years from now, it will be worth $0.

That said, I have spent (not invested) thousands of dollars on expensive Stressless sofas and chairs. My back appreciates it, but that’s the only appreciation this “investment” will see :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 am
Thank you. Beat me to it. It’s salesperson talk to frame expensive items as investments. Some number of years from now, it will be worth $0.

That said, I have spent (not invested) thousands of dollars on expensive Stressless sofas and chairs. My back appreciates it, but that’s the only appreciation this “investment” will see :D
What would you call it in a case where can resell it for minimal or no loss. I bought a Steelcase Leap V2 chair just a year old and almost new condition for $300 from someone on FB Marketplace for the pandemic WFH period and am guessing if I chose to once am back in actual office can list the chair myself for sale at the same price I paid for it.

My guess is its still classified as a expense rather than an investment unless I show at least a one dollar profit on reselling it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

njdealguy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 am

What would you call it in a case where can resell it for minimal or no loss. I bought a Steelcase Leap V2 chair just a year old and almost new condition for $300 from someone on FB Marketplace for the pandemic WFH period and am guessing if I chose to once am back in actual office can list the chair myself for sale at the same price I paid for it.

My guess is its still classified as a expense rather than an investment unless I show at least a one dollar profit on reselling it.
In that case, I call you a smart shopper :D rather than a smart investor. Yeah, it’s still an expense, a consumption item.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

All bad choice of words on my end. Investment isn't the right word. My apologies. I think the better choice of words would be "is it worth the money"? As somebody with back issues, I felt that maybe splurging on a nice chair would be worth it from a health perspective.

This is an old thread BTW. I ended up getting a $ 150 chair from staples.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:08 pm > In my experience when it comes to selecting a chair you really need to sit in them

Yeah and double yeah.

I disliked a chair bought by the institution I worked for; although it had many adjustments it was clunky. I was reasonably satisfied with a chair I bought at the Office Whatever. Also liked one I bought at a now-defunct Scandinavian store. I tried both in person before purchase.

I heard that used Aeron chairs are available from failed internet startups.
Agreed. Its expensive but totally worth it.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

Now that I'm working primarily from home for the foreseeable future. I contemplated buying a HM chair and was looking at both the Aeron and the Embody.

In the end, I decided instead of buying a $1500 chair I'd buy a $1500 electric standing desk. From a health perspective (especially the lower back) I think alternating between sitting and standing is better in the long term than an ergonomic chair. I might still get a nice chair at some point but think the desk is the better investment.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Heck, he even asked our permission to buy office chair; did we grant him the permission?
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I was very happy with my Aeron chair when I worked in business, but I didn't pay for it. Now I'm a teacher, so no one is buying me nice chairs.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

My best office chair costs $70. My worst cost $700. You really have to try out different types of chairs and see what works for you. More expensive does not necessarily mean more comfortable.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
riverant

Post by riverant »

Steel case leap v2 for me at home with the rollerblade wheels. Much more comfortable that the Aeron I have at work. I’m only 6’3 and find the plastic edge of B model to cut into my thighs and dig into my shoulder blades. I have a C for the higher back, but it’s also made for someone 450 lbs so the seat is about 6” too wide on each side. It also doesn’t go quite high enough.
carne_asada

Post by carne_asada »

I'm not a fan of the herman millers but its a very personal preference. I prefer the Steelcase chairs and they are very much worth what they charge - especially considering the amount of time you spend in one. Either way - make sure you sit in one before you buy it so you know its comfortable and fits you.
jaxolist

Post by jaxolist »

From $ amount perspective I would suggest you to have a look at the 2nd hand office furniture stores near you. I was in a similar situation as you and before deciding to get a new steelcase V2, I was able to locate one in a 2nd hand one for ~$400, which was a bargain considering it's almost new.
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

I have a Herman Miller chair.

It is nice, but I rarely use it. I don't like sitting and rotting.

I have an Uplift desk and alternate between standing and sitting on a stability ball.

Total price between the desk and stability ball: cheaper than the chair.
tj

Post by tj »

I bought this gaming chair, that I believe was recommended on bogleheads.

It's great.

https://secretlab.co/products/titan-evo-2022-series
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

No. I have one and it’s not particularly comfortable.
Kenny911

Post by Kenny911 »

Herman Miller Aeron is definitely worth it. Have one at home since I work 4 days a week at my house and its amazing. Buy the headrest, you won't regret it.