Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
phxjcc

Re: Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Post by phxjcc »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 pm
phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 am Winter in the desert, summer at the beach...do not regret it AT ALL.
This is what I'm looking at. What desert/beach combo(s) do you recommend?
I settled on Nipomo for being close to the beach, especially because you can drive on Pismo State Beach.
WIDE open spaces and agricultural area.

I prefer Scottsdale, Az, but am currently in Palm Springs area hoping to wrap up a some estate/personal business in th next year..
PS is nice and feels homey, but the valley is now ~ 300,000 people and the infrastructure cannot support that many.

And healthcare is overtaxed/non-existent (or staffed by all the "C" students) and the closest teaching hospital is Loma Linda; for real bad stuff, just go to UCLA.

I Need good healthcare options and Mayo is in Scottsdale.
I lived there for 8 years and loved it.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Wife and I are east coast people. Wife is from MA and I’m from NJ.

After ending our careers in the federal government, we moved from the DC area to take retirement jobs in Madison WI, one of the great college towns in the US. The cold and short summers got to us as we hit our late 60s and 70s. We moved to Hilton Head Island SC where we owned Marriott timeshares and had often visited when we lived in the DC area.

My wife is extremely happy here. There are lots of women’s activities in the Plantation and on the Island. She’s made lots of friends and is very busy, which suits her. She loves the house we bought. We’re a five minute walk from the ocean. Plenty of restaurants and live theater. Winters are pleasant. Both our families are on the east coast and we see them much more often than when we lived in Wisconsin.

The downside are the hot, buggy, and humid summers and the recent spate of hurricanes. We’ve had to evacuate twice in the last four years. Because the population isn’t large, around 40,000, there aren’t a whole lot of doctors. While we have a 90 bed hospital you really need to go to Beaufort or especially Savannah for specialized care. The nearest Costco is two plus hours away in North Charleston.

As for me, I’m a restless person and ready to move. If the hurricanes force us out, I'm eyeing Greenville in upstate as a possible destination. We evacuated to there last fall and really enjoyed it.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 pm
PhoebeCoco wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 pm
phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 am Winter in the desert, summer at the beach...do not regret it AT ALL.
This is what I'm looking at. What desert/beach combo(s) do you recommend?
I settled on Nipomo for being close to the beach, especially because you can drive on Pismo State Beach.
WIDE open spaces and agricultural area.

I prefer Scottsdale, Az, but am currently in Palm Springs area hoping to wrap up a some estate/personal business in th next year..
PS is nice and feels homey, but the valley is now ~ 300,000 people and the infrastructure cannot support that many.

And healthcare is overtaxed/non-existent (or staffed by all the "C" students) and the closest teaching hospital is Loma Linda; for real bad stuff, just go to UCLA.

I Need good healthcare options and Mayo is in Scottsdale.
I lived there for 8 years and loved it.
+1
Available high quality healthcare in Scottsdale is terrific!

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

We are moving away from a subtropical climate to a Köppen Cfb climate.

The weather is so brutal here we need aircon cooling for 24 hours 6 months of the year just to get some sleep. 100-120 F can stretch for weeks and months and it never cools down overnight. It's actually dangerous outside in summer.

The new place has lovely weather and reminds me if my childhood.

It's only part of the reason we're moving, but really looking forward to being able to live without aircon, saving money on electricity, and being able to go outside without being irradiated.

I think if one is not comfortable with the climate you're at, it can have a huge effect on your enjoyment of life. Also, the feral factor goes way up as you approach lower latitudes.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm
rustymutt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

As I get older, heat bothers me less, but I do dread mid July to late August.
I got into intrastate 70 east traffic on a Friday afternoon last July, and made the switch to a back road to go up to Fort Collins, and couldn't get over the new homes developments northwest of Denver. It was like solid developments every 3 miles, with 100s of homes. And the traffic was horrid. It's like Californians have up and moved to Colorado. Suddenly I was in Boulder, coming in from of direction I didn't know. I was lost. GPS bailed me out, and kept out of i25 traffic jams. Yes, the Colorado traffic can be stressful indeed.
By the way, the Peach festival in Grand Junction Colorado was lots of fun. I'm single. Food way good. Beer better. Peaches to die for. Hands down the best peach I've ever had. I headed back to Grand Junction, the weather suits me fine out west. I hate humidity and heat together. I liked in western Colorado in July, August. Beautiful weather and mountains.
I hate to admit it since here in VA we pride ourselves on our peaches, just like they do in GA, but CO peaches year in and year out were the best. I see its 24F now in Denver, its about 60 here in VA, the 24 never bothered me. I25 from Denver south was always heavy. At first it seemed Santa Fe Drive (85) going south seemed to save time, but as more folks caught on, it was just as bad.
What many people love or loathe about Colorado (specifically the front range) is that it can be 70 degrees one day and snow and 25 degrees the next. This occurred this week.

Our interstates were not designed to keep up with the growing population; there appear to be a lot of CA and TX transplants which is likely due to better weather (for the Texans) and lower costs (for the Californians.) For me, CO and UT have the best weather, although I enjoy four seasons and many people do not. I dislike humidity so may snowbird or escape the winter weather when possible after I'm retired. I will never live in the Midwest again (too cold, no sun/often overcast and humid) or South (humid) but that's just my preference.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I've been waiting a long time to move to Colorado, Been house hunting and would love to move. Now this virus is causing some delays. It's to hot here in summer. Just mowing your yard soaks you to the bone. Nothing dry. I grew up in this, but as we age, it's not likable.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Native Californian here.

- Grew up in San Bernardino/Inland Empire. High desert, 120 temps in the summer, fantastic summer nights.

- Moved to Santa Barbara. Moderate temps all year round, but cold and foggy in the summer.

- Moved to the Bay Area for college. Rainy and cold in the winter. Ick.

- Moved inland from the Bay Area, onto the California Delta. Just right: warm in the summer, cool enough and rainy enough in the winter, but NO SNOW. And I got my fantastic summer nights out on the deck back!

Life on the water is great. Close enough to OAK or SFO when necessary; good medical care; plenty of ethnic restaurants and fine dining within 30 minutes; lower crime and less traffic.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Weather
Yes One Reason
From NY to
Tn.
Regret?
Nada :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Sandi_k wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm Native Californian here.

- Grew up in San Bernardino/Inland Empire. High desert, 120 temps in the summer, fantastic summer nights.

- Moved to Santa Barbara. Moderate temps all year round, but cold and foggy in the summer.

- Moved inland from the Bay Area, onto the California Delta. Just right: warm in the summer, cool enough and rainy enough in the winter, but NO SNOW. And I got my fantastic summer nights out on the deck back!

Life on the water is great. Close enough to OAK or SFO when necessary; good medical care; plenty of ethnic restaurants and fine dining within 30 minutes; lower crime and less traffic.
Sacramento? Affordable and very cool summer nights.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

Moved from a city where we never used A/C in summer to a new city where we never use heater in winter. I prefer heat over cold.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:40 am
The third time someone asks "what church do you attend?" - I'm packing up.
Ooh, no. You could have a lot of fun with any number of answers.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

iamblessed wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm Anybody move to the drier part of Washington like Yakima or Spokane? What do you think of the weather?
Nice weather overall in Eastern Washington. Occasional extremes but dry heat and sun all summer. Worst part is the wind. I couldn't take it.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 pm

I keep coming back to CA, maybe Santa Rosa area. HCOL and all, but it is the best weather in America.
beyou

Post by beyou »

How about the opposite ? I have turned down offers to relocate, preferring my current home regardless of economics. I live in HCOL coastal area with great weather most of the time. Weather is not the only factor but a significant factor. Most of family moved to LCOL warmer climates, they can’t understand why I stay. But I don’t enjoy even visiting them other than winter when not too hot down south.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Tdubs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:26 pm

I keep coming back to CA, maybe Santa Rosa area. HCOL and all, but it is the best weather in America.

Agreed and I lived in many states.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

beyou wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:44 pm How about the opposite ? I have turned down offers to relocate, preferring my current home regardless of economics. I live in HCOL coastal area with great weather most of the time. Weather is not the only factor but a significant factor. Most of family moved to LCOL warmer climates, they can’t understand why I stay. But I don’t enjoy even visiting them other than winter when not too hot down south.
Your family sounds kind of like this entire thread.

We moved from the lower left corner of the country to the Pacific NW for a job. Four years later we moved back. I was so freaking tired of being cold all the time. Besides the weather, my family all lives in either Southern California or the Bay Area. We all have options and could leave, but we like being together, and we like being together here.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

Moved from Texas to Southern California largely for the weather. I count it amongst the best decisions I've ever made... being super close to the beach with great weather, and also being close to mountains, snow, and desert makes up for the traffic and VHCOL for me. An afternoon or evening at the beach washes away the dust of everyday life. :beer
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Having been all over the US at one point or another and talking to many/researching the weather in various places, I’ve come to the conclusion that where I’m at/grew up has middle of the road weather, middle of the road people, middle of the road politics and is lcol somewhere in the middle of the Midwest. 20 minutes max to anywhere in town and “rush hour” adds maybe a few minutes. Yards are measured in acres, not square feet. Rainy gray cold winter days are the tradeoff I suppose to hcol among other things. I often come to the realizeation maybe it’s not so bad here and that many places would be great to visit but terrible to live.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I grew up in MD and have literally detested summers there since I was quite young due to the humidity. The perfect day to me is snow. I actually moved to AZ for work and surprisingly really enjoyed the dry heat. I miss the snow but not rain.

Having said that, I don't think weather would be the main reason to move somewhere. Things like family, job, medical facilities, access to good airport, safety, etc. would be more important to me.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

CMD1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:33 pm
iamblessed wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm Anybody move to the drier part of Washington like Yakima or Spokane? What do you think of the weather?
We lived in Spokane for years. Since moved on to Atlanta and now Seattle. The weather is great if your into 4 seasons, snowy winters and it's drier, until you consider the amount of snow they get. Winters are long, but depends how much you enjoy that. Other factors like career may have a bigger downside depending on your situation. And if your in Western Wa you may miss the green, the sound, the access to big city amenities and access to the mountains. Spokane has great outdoor access depending on what your looking for, hard to beat the access to rainier, olympics, cascades, mt baker (especially if your a hiker, camper or do winter sports). In my experience each location is different and unique and your bound to miss old things but find new things in your new home.
How’s the bug situation in Spokane? I wouldn’t mind getting away from humidity and mosquitoes (the Midwest).
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

I moved from the Midwest to the Southeast 20
years ago. It was a huge quality of life improvement in general, not just the weather, though it was one of the big factors
This content is for entertainment purposes only
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Moved from PA to FL and back to PA.
OP: Moves were not related to weather, but I didn't miss northern winters. Now that wife and I are retired and don't need to go to work, or get kids to school, this past winter was quite enjoyable. Looking forward to all 4 seasons here in Pennsylvania!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US.
I would suggest Monterey CA as having the best weather I've experienced. An amazing (small) city as well. But, it'll cost you...
That's where I lived for 66 years, and couldn't agree more. Absolutely perfect weather. It never snows, and rarely freezes in the morning, some years not at all. Average mid 60's to mid 70's. Too much fog but there are locations that have less. World class beauty.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Too hot in the summer for my taste, far from the ocean, and the traffic is brutal. I just got back home to SC from a trip back to California due to the death of my sister. I moved 1.5 years ago from the Monterey Peninsula to the upstate of SC. I flew into Oakland to get free tickets from Southwest with points. I rented a car and drove to Roseville and was reminded immediately how crazy California drivers are. 80 to 90 mph on the freeways when not in stop and go. A major wreck happened when the car immediately behind me swerved and crashed into a flatbed truck. From there down hwy 5 to visit family and friends in Monterey then back to Oakland to fly back.

It was nice not to have to check the weather every day for the threat of tornadoes or damaging winds. My brother moved from CA nearer to the coast in SC so his location is more susceptible to hurricanes than ours. Good thing we both don't mind a little adventure in our lives during retirement.

As for happiness, if you're not happy now you won't be happy after you move. Weather has little to do with that. Bubbling anger over a multitude of mostly imagined slights will poison an otherwise blissful existence.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Duplicate
Last edited by vested1 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Didn't move to Wisconsin for weather alone, but it was a drawing point.
Nice calm and colorful autumns, cold and white winters with lots to do outside, and hot(ish) humid verdant summers.
The only regret is that winter is really hard on the house (like a bursting pipe for the radiators) and the cars.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:40 am
The third time someone asks "what church do you attend?" - I'm packing up.
Ooh, no. You could have a lot of fun with any number of answers.
Friend did his graduate work in Tuscaloosa AL.

About the 10th time he clocked onto "I am Greek Orthodox" (nominally his family is) and *they* did not have a church within driving distance (there was a mosque, a synagogue, an Hindu temple plus all the main Christian denominations).

It is, I think, the Southern version of friendliness. Somebody has to be saving your soul, and it's a way of connecting with people.

We had a wonderful piece of cake and coffee at an Episcopalian church, maybe in North Carolina, or Virginia. It is absolutely true that the Episcopalian/ Anglican church lives on coffee mornings, just as important a ritual as the Holy Communion ;-).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

vested1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:59 am
It was nice not to have to check the weather every day for the threat of tornadoes or damaging winds. My brother moved from CA nearer to the coast in SC so his location is more susceptible to hurricanes than ours. Good thing we both don't mind a little adventure in our lives during retirement.

As for happiness, if you're not happy now you won't be happy after you move. Weather has little to do with that. Bubbling anger over a multitude of mostly imagined slights will poison an otherwise blissful existence.
This is truth.

Among the Alcohol Treatment community there is a joke "the geographic cure".

People give up everything and move to another city - and become alcoholics there.

There are external forces - such as not being able to afford adequate housing, or not feeling physically safe, that can have a big impact on your well-being. Just really noisy neighbours*.

And if you love skiing, say, or windsurfing, it's best to live somewhere where you can ski or windsurf (or its not too taxing to get to either).

Set those aside. If you are not happy with yourself, moving will not change things.

* if you live in a densely populated variegated urban area, you will get noise. It depends how you take it. Previously we lived in very urban London, 30 years gentrifying area with plenty of local "colour". The constant drone of police helicopters, hovering, at night just got to us.

Now we live in a suburban area, but still terraced (row) houses, walk to the local stores etc. The "recreation" tends to be more teenagers' parties. It's still quite "urban" but objectively a lot quieter without the "local vibrance" (we still have mobile phone snatch thieves on bicycle)

We share a wall with one very noisy family. But it is just 2 rambunctious young boys - 5 and 8. They make a racket, by 9 pm the parents have them in bed. Parents never quarrel loudly with each other, always look a bit exhausted. It's fine. Raising 2 boys is like that. We don't stress about it even after nearly a year of lockdown (parents have finally got a nanny who appears able to deal with it).

When we had a 50-something alcoholic ex banker downstairs from us in the old place, I had to call the police on him one night - 180 year old townhouse, and he was shaking the walls he was hitting them so hard (having a row with his ex wife).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am Didn't move to Wisconsin for weather alone, but it was a drawing point.
Nice calm and colorful autumns, cold and white winters with lots to do outside, and hot(ish) humid verdant summers.
The only regret is that winter is really hard on the house (like a bursting pipe for the radiators) and the cars.
I have a relation in Collingwood ON (bottom of Georgian Bay, east side of Lake Huron).

West of the Great Lakes gets the winter a lot harder than east, I think (but perhaps less snow?).

Wisconsinites are made of tough stuff.

Barring the mosquitoes and the humidity, the summers are lovely-- late summer and early fall, especially.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I was born, raised, studied, worked, and retired in DC, VA, NC, and MD. I suspect I'll live the rest of my life in one of those four states. I'm not fond of the hot, humid summers, and the winters sometimes get rough, but not so much in recent years. The springs and falls are lovely.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 am
familythriftmd wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am Didn't move to Wisconsin for weather alone, but it was a drawing point.
I have a relation in Collingwood ON (bottom of Georgian Bay, east side of Lake Huron).

West of the Great Lakes gets the winter a lot harder than east, I think (but perhaps less snow?).

Wisconsinites are made of tough stuff.

Barring the mosquitoes and the humidity, the summers are lovely-- late summer and early fall, especially.
Except for all of the Wisconsinites that move to AZ due to the cold :D
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
praxis

Post by praxis »

randomguy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 pm For a lot of people weather doesn't matter much. For others it is major factor. You like playing golf but live in a place with a 4 month season? Moving can help. Love skiing but the nearest mountain is 400 miles away? Moving might help. But a lot of people are sort of in the middle. Yeah it is more pleasant to go walking when it is 75 versus 90 but it isn't a big enough factor to really change things up. You need to figure out who you are and what good weather is for you.

For most of us things like jobs and friends and family, and COL, factor into where we live as much as weather. How you balance all of those factors is pretty personal.
Good viewpoint. Each person's criteria are weighted differently. I cheated. We moved to the Gulf Coast for the mild winters, and spend the hot summers in our cabin high in the Rockies. I wouldn't want to spend the whole winter there, but ski trips work and summers are glorious. Just like the winters in the South.
What we did was make a spreadsheet. We listed the most important factors in our life across the top and our six favorite potential destinations down the side. We rated each place 1 to 10 and visited each location. Factors included weather, activities, cultural opportunities, closer to family, jobs.
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

I grew up in a los angeles suburb, lived in san francisco and nyc as an adult but did move back for the lower cost of living and weather among other reasons. compared to sf and nyc, la was way more affordable!

read these posts with interest because i sometimes consider selling my much appreciated property- invest the majority, buy a small condo affordable somewhere and take off travelling. forget coastFire, just Fire!

my employer offers healthcare in retirement ( supplements medicare) but would need to live where they offer healthcare so that limits the possible states to relocate.

los angeles does have great weather year round and overall, i don't regret moving back.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

freckles01 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 amlos angeles does have great weather year round and overall, i don't regret moving back.
I flew 12 hours to start a new life in "fantastic L.A."* and would never live elsewhere. Echoing another poster's observation, it's hilarious to see people in the malls at Christmas sporting woollen hats, scarves and heavy coats while the sun is shining.

But did you not notice the city's decline since your youth, or was it factored in?

* Jim Morrison.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Realities of moving to a place with significantly nicer climate -

Significantly higher COL in most situations

More people density and traffic

I've lived in both wintery and now ideal-Norcal weather conditions, and while Norcal is undoubtedly the weather champion of the two, I'd be lying to say that I was substantially less happy in the wintery place. If I were more money limited, I'd actually definitely be happier in the wintery place due to the hugely decreased stress over COL.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Wife and I both work from home and can live anywhere. We're not tied to our current area in any meaningful social/schooling way. Other than the weather, we like our current area (good schools, medium cost of living, safe, convenient to get around, etc.) but don't think there's anything about it that we couldn't find elsewhere.

We're considering moving someplace that has milder summers. Stay east but try to get some elevation (Asheville)? Somewhere in the Mountain West that has less humidity and cooler evenings/mornings (Denver area)? Probably won't go to CA b/c it's too far from family and too expensive.

If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."

If I moved for better weather, would I quickly get used to it, and then kick myself for incurring the effort and expense of moving? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for any input.

I know this is an old thread revived, but what's funny is it sounds like OP is describing a slightly exaggerated Atlanta which we moved TO from the mid-west in part due to better weather. March and April are so much better, no regrets. It does get oppressively hot in the summer though. I sincerely doubt we'll end up retiring here.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
IMO

Post by IMO »

tooluser wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm Volcano, Hawaii. 50 degF at night and 80 in the daytime. Nice. I love jacket weather. I do not live there, but I want to go back and stay for a while. Waimea (Big Island) is a close second.

I think the solution, at least for the FI crowd, is to snowbird or reverse-snowbird, depending on your preferences. You can tailor your stay to coincide with the best of the shoulder seasons. Build it into your plans and budget. Not everyone can do that.

I convinced myself long ago that I could be happy anywhere. I run mental scenarios of living as an old man in a dilapidated downtown apartment in a big crime-ridden city, or as a hermit on the edge of the wilderness (alone in poverty), or as part of a commune (or nursing home), or in a small house in a nice suburb. I will make it no matter what.

I will also say that I live in Los Angeles, and you might be surprised at the number people who complain *BITTERLY* whenever it's a cloudy day or the temperature is below 75 degrees. Parkas and mukluks when the temperatures go below 50! People wearing down jackets inside in the summer due to the air conditioning. :confused

It's all relative, and I think many could be happier by embracing their current situation and making the best of it. Not in some miserable sense, but really optimizing what life has presented to them. :beer
Interesting regarding Volcano, Hawaii on this discussion of moving for better weather.

Personally know someone who moved from Southwest to Volcano, HI. Liked it for a few years but then recently moved back to the Southwest. Was a combination of a few things, including the weather really wasn't that nice (colder rainy often) and was farther from family. We had visited them and thought it was too cold and not enough nice HI weather to consider moving to that location.

Grew up in SoCal and realized that it is futile to consider having elderly parents cash out and sell and then move near us which would mean cold winters/snow which would be very unenjoyable for them, AND having to move from their social circle (although that gets smaller every year mostly due to deaths).

Despite the negatives, SoCal is still a nice place to live so long as your in a nice suburb and there are many of those. Especially if one no longer has to drive to/from work anymore.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am And if you love skiing, say, or windsurfing, it's best to live somewhere where you can ski or windsurf (or its not too taxing to get to either).

Set those aside. If you are not happy with yourself, moving will not change things.
This is what I've come to realize. We live in MN so if we moved literally anywhere else it would have nicer weather. And we've certainly thought about moving seriously. But would it really be "better'? The QoL in MN is outstanding, it's just the weather that's stupid. And I've lived in the upper midwest my entire life so while less cold in the winter or less humidity in the summer sounds very tempting, I'm not sure it would really make me all that happier long term. I'd eventually just get used to it like I have the weather here.

And so what we've done is started making a list of cities that fit the things we *do* more than just fit some weather profile. And when we do that MN is still pretty darn competitive with most places on our list. And it sure costs a lot less too, probably because of the weather (nobody from CA is moving here that's for sure).
chazas

Post by chazas »

I moved to Hawaii for four years. I don't regret it - it was an interesting experience - but I didn't last. Weather was one of the issues, it just got really boring.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

vested1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:59 am
I don't know. This covid winter gave me a glimpse of what it must be like for housebound seniors. Television, lots of television. Being able to step out on a nice sunny day is a priceless mood lifter. It has convinced me that we need to head to a better climate in a few years. Better than binge watching Downton Abbey AGAIN.
dewey

Post by dewey »

We moved from MN to Vancouver, WA 21 years ago for work reasons, not the weather. BUT--we love the weather of the PNW and we retired here. Summers are the best ever (I grew up in PA which can get a lot of humid summer weather on the east side). MN summers can be nice at times but also can have lots of high humidity, nasty storms, and bugs galore (most people think the winters are the big negative...I didn't mind winter as much as summer. If you play in the snow, skiing and snow shoeing, etc. winter is fine).

We get winter rain of course but we never slip and fall on it nor do we shovel it. Natives seem to grumble about the rain more than the transplants.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 am I have considered moving due to weather but haven't. Though I hate the very cold, long winters here I think I would regret leaving friends, family and an otherwise great city behind. That may change later or result in some kind of hybrid (snowbird) arrangement.
I did exactly what you are proposing and have ZERO regret. Long winters are the pits and friends and family don’t make up for it enough — unless perhaps they all lived on your same street or something. And they will come visit you during their long winters after you move.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm
Tdubs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Agreed and I lived in many states.
I don’t really match up well with the predominant culture of many areas of CA. But the weather and scenery is spectacular and I get along fine with lots of different people. I just view the high taxes as a climate tax basically.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Firemenot wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:11 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 am I have considered moving due to weather but haven't. Though I hate the very cold, long winters here I think I would regret leaving friends, family and an otherwise great city behind. That may change later or result in some kind of hybrid (snowbird) arrangement.
I did exactly what you are proposing and have ZERO regret. Long winters are the pits and friends and family don’t make up for it enough — unless perhaps they all lived on your same street or something. And they will come visit you during their long winters after you move.
We are considering moving more than ever before. Beyond the weather, and I am not going to get into politics, we are in a very broke (and woke) city and state that seems to have no evidence of changing.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

vitaflo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am And if you love skiing, say, or windsurfing, it's best to live somewhere where you can ski or windsurf (or its not too taxing to get to either).

This is what I've come to realize. We live in MN so if we moved literally anywhere else it would have nicer weather. And we've certainly thought about moving seriously. But would it really be "better'? The QoL in MN is outstanding, it's just the weather that's stupid. And I've lived in the upper midwest my entire life so while less cold in the winter or less humidity in the summer sounds very tempting, I'm not sure it would really make me all that happier long term. I'd eventually just get used to it like I have the weather here.

And so what we've done is started making a list of cities that fit the things we *do* more than just fit some weather profile. And when we do that MN is still pretty darn competitive with most places on our list. And it sure costs a lot less too, probably because of the weather (nobody from CA is moving here that's for sure).
As some one who grew up in MN and moved away. Yes it really would be better elsewhere. I’d never go back there and I have tons of friends and family there. 5 years later in a great weather location it still has not gotten old.

Edit: I know that sounds harsh but unless you are hardcore into winter activities, it’s not a great place. I did the same rationalizing for far too many years and should have made the move much sooner.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

chazas wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:56 pm I moved to Hawaii for four years. I don't regret it - it was an interesting experience - but I didn't last. Weather was one of the issues, it just got really boring.
Boring?
I moved from the Midwest to the Santa Barbara area after initial college years, ages ago. I was raised in the Mid-Atlantic area.

I was told by almost everyone that I "would really miss the change of seasons".
but I had visited LA/SB area a few times, and had loved the weather. LOVED!

Did I miss the change of seasons?
Huh? :confused
Did I mention I loved, loved, loved the weather?
IF it was "boring", i certainly didn't notice!

And then, after about 3 years, I moved to Seattle for grad school.
From sun to drizzle.
I always laughed when others said it was "pouring", when all that was happening was a "heavy drizzle". Those people obviously had never seen sheets of rain...
(I had previously hated that elsewhere, and I especially hated slush.)
We just got waterproof boots, jackets with hoods, and carried on, walking almost everywhere.
The gray skies didn't bother me at all, but for those who are bothered by that, it's probably not the right place...
But I'll admit, on those occasional crystal clear, blue sky winter days, I was among the first on the ski slopes.
That was back before the rest of the world "discovered" Seattle and environs. What used to be a long outing to a park for a full day is now... a close-in suburb.

I really enjoyed living in Seattle (mostly, see below), and DH and I have visited several times. If we didn't have strong ties where we are now, we'd seriously consider retiring there... or in the LA area, or Santa Barbara :happy
Those would be "for the weather".

I moved every time for personal or professional reasons, and the weather didn't factor into those decisions at all.

[The only thing I minded about Seattle was the very active murderer on the loose.
That turned out to be Ted Bundy. THAT was grim. Not the weather.]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Well, not -just- for the weather, but that was sure a factor. 300 days of sun is quite nice! At 7,000+ elevation, the hottest it gets is 90-ish. We don't have AC and don't miss it, especially compared to the $300/month electric bills half the year in Northern VA. (That said, we may eventually add a swam cooler.)

If you consider the southwest, also look at elevation. Summers are still great, it does snow in the Winter, a little, but the NM sun usually makes short work of that. Now, if this damn drought would end...
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

chuckb84 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm Well, not -just- for the weather, but that was sure a factor. 300 days of sun is quite nice! At 7,000+ elevation, the hottest it gets is 90-ish. We don't have AC and don't miss it, especially compared to the $300/month electric bills half the year in Northern VA. (That said, we may eventually add a swam cooler.)

If you consider the southwest, also look at elevation. Summers are still great, it does snow in the Winter, a little, but the NM sun usually makes short work of that. Now, if this damn drought would end...
Yeah, but the April winds are a bear.
ondarvr

Post by ondarvr »

Tdubs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 pm
Nice weather overall in Eastern Washington. Occasional extremes but dry heat and sun all summer. Worst part is the wind. I couldn't take it.
I moved from Seattle to near Spokane a few years ago, hated the rain and the endless gray days.

So far I like it far better here, summers are warm and dry, winter is cooler, but dry and sunny. With a combination of elevation and latitude you can get some great options in much of the west.

The wind can be a problem in the west, but I picked a location that gets very little wind, it wasn't hard, three miles away and it blows constantly.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Colorado weather was utopia to me. 4 seasons. Can still get beautiful, warm, sunny days, interspersed amongst the snow. I left hot and humid climate multiple times and never regretted it. Ill do everything I can to never have to live in the muggy tropic-type climates again