Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
phositadc

Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Post by phositadc »

I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Wife and I both work from home and can live anywhere. We're not tied to our current area in any meaningful social/schooling way. Other than the weather, we like our current area (good schools, medium cost of living, safe, convenient to get around, etc.) but don't think there's anything about it that we couldn't find elsewhere.

We're considering moving someplace that has milder summers. Stay east but try to get some elevation (Asheville)? Somewhere in the Mountain West that has less humidity and cooler evenings/mornings (Denver area)? Probably won't go to CA b/c it's too far from family and too expensive.

If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."

If I moved for better weather, would I quickly get used to it, and then kick myself for incurring the effort and expense of moving? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for any input.
Mr. Rumples

Re: Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Post by Mr. Rumples »

We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

As I get older, heat bothers me less, but I do dread mid July to late August.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

I am looking to move for weather so interested in this conversation.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have considered moving due to weather but haven't. Though I hate the very cold, long winters here I think I would regret leaving friends, family and an otherwise great city behind. That may change later or result in some kind of hybrid (snowbird) arrangement.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

We moved because of a job opening, but landed in Syracuse. Upstate NY gets a lot of negative press (we have a great deal of snow, which we happen to love, snowshoeing is terrific) and people complain about high taxes (but enjoy great roads and services). We love the climate here---springs are glorious, summers are long and green and 70s, autumns are colorful and mild. As the climate changes, we may experience more of this and shorter (but more significantly snowy months, which would suit us fine). Best of all, housing is dirt cheap, national and state parks abound, people are extremely friendly, lots of culture, and this is a hub for health care with five hospital centers locally. There are a lot of factors to your choice of residence besides weather, but we can't bear heat so this works for us. We are gardeners too, so we spend all months but winter outside...

Good luck in finding your Eden! Rus. :beer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term?
I moved from Colorado to Sydney, Australia, in part for better weather. It exceeded expectations.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Hawaii > Northern Arizona

HCOL vs> LCOL ++++
City vs> Country +++++
Congestion, Traffic, Noise, Stress vs > Quiet > More free range cattle than people ++++
Golf Weather Year Round vs> 4 seasons -- + -- -- -- +
White sand beaches vs> Mountains and open range land - - - - - -
International / Hawaiian/Asian Tropical Island Culture vs ???? -- + -- + -- +
Fish and Poi / international authentic foods vs Steak n Potatoes - - - - -
City lifestyle (cramp) vs outdoor lifestyle +++++++++

When moving, there are more factors to consider than weather. . . :shock:

Do not regret the move as it was a long range plan.
DW is happy, very happy.
Do not regret the move.
DW is happy.
. . . . . .

"Auwe!". . "koʻu maikaʻi"! :shock:
j :happy

1 mile from where we used to live for many decades.(Kailua Beach, Oahu, HawaiiImage
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I moved from very cold in the winter and humid in the summer upper Midwest to Colorado. The move was partly for weather and mostly for a lifestyle change (ability to enjoy outdoor activities year round.) While I still don't love the cold, our winters are mostly sunny (not grey) so I absolutely DO NOT regret it. I will never live in the Midwest again.
The Broz

Post by The Broz »

It is like anything, in that there are matters of degrees (no pun intended). I would not suggest moving JUST for weather, unless it is a health thing. If your life is set up just the way you like it (aside from the weather) and the weather is just a little bit of a pain, don't do it. But if you are looking for a new adventure and you have pretty much had it up to here with the weather, do it.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Wife and I both work from home and can live anywhere. We're not tied to our current area in any meaningful social/schooling way. Other than the weather, we like our current area (good schools, medium cost of living, safe, convenient to get around, etc.) but don't think there's anything about it that we couldn't find elsewhere.

We're considering moving someplace that has milder summers. Stay east but try to get some elevation (Asheville)? Somewhere in the Mountain West that has less humidity and cooler evenings/mornings (Denver area)? Probably won't go to CA b/c it's too far from family and too expensive.
Beware culture shock. If you grew up in the American South and have always lived there, the lack of "neighborliness" of other places, the lack of apparent common courtesy, will probably be quite difficult for you. William Least Heat Moon, in his classic travel book Blue Highways, had some good points on that.

(to be clear, I am not American. I don't live in the USA. This is just what I have observed of Americans either in my travels (pretty much all in the north east - Boston down to Washington, New England, Midwest, some parts of the South) or meeting them outside the UK. More than one friend has found the "what church do you attend?" questions in the south to be disconcerting - no one in England would ever ask that question.)

Asheville or surrounding might be a good compromise. Several times people here have mentioned Tennessee (which also has some centres of medical excellence). Perhaps Pennsylvania - still hot summers (and worse winters) but a relatively small shift.
If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."

If I moved for better weather, would I quickly get used to it, and then kick myself for incurring the effort and expense of moving? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for any input.
Oregon would be very different, but might be worth a try. Also that bit of WA state just over the border.

California probably has the perfect climate (coastal CA) ie hot and dry, but the cost is brutal. Also the air quality issues associated with seasonal wildfires - which now seem to be an almost permanent fixture. Sacramento say would definitely be more affordable (and would have access to Lake Tahoe in winter?) albeit brutally hot in summer (but dry) but do remember it is on a flood plain - pick your location carefully.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

I moved away from good weather to get more space and lower COL. No regrets yet but I did get to take my warm weather salary with me.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

LiveSimple wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 am I am looking to move for weather so interested in this conversation.
as am I.
No plans to move anytime soon (not near retirement) but nearly everyone I know wants to 'move south when retiring' to avoid snow. But as OP has stated, if its too hot, its equally an issue.
I'd miss the 4 seasons if I left, but a milder winter would be nice. Just don't want to trade that for another headache.
Grass isn't always greener I'd guess.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US. The southeast is hot and humid in the summer and has a scary hurricane season. The northeast is cold and snowy in the winter. The midwest has both problems. The great plains have heat, cold, and nearly constant wind. The southwest, although not humid, gets really really hot in the summer. The northwest is too rainy and gloomy for much of the year. The western third of the country is plagued by drought, wildfires, and earthquakes. The best one can do is to pick your poison and endure it. I've lived my entire life in the mid-Atlantic states, and that seems to be the best compromise for me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US.
+1 I've been to nearly every state in the U.S. and I can't remember talking to a single person who loved the weather where they were at all year long. For me the solution has been to live as far south as I can enjoy the summers and own vacation property further south to enjoy as often as I can during winters.

Probably the closest I've been to perfect weather temperature all year round were in the mountains of an island in the Pacific near the equator. Hot days were around 80 F and cold days were around 50 F. But then you deal with rainy and dry seasons among other problems.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

If you hate humidity, living somewhere in the west will blow your mind. Where I am it can get to 100 during the day, but it drops 20 degrees the moment the sun goes down, and I still wear a jacket walking the dog in the morning. Ashville is nice and the elevation helps, but you really can't get this on the east coast, unless you live a mile or two from the water. Try a rental for a month out here, you'll love it (when that's possible again).
Beach

Post by Beach »

Moved from Florida to Midwest...hate it (weather and lack of family)

Ready to go home
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US.
I would suggest Monterey CA as having the best weather I've experienced. An amazing (small) city as well. But, it'll cost you...
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I love the west but the closest I can get price wise is western Kansas or western Nebraska. Anybody lived in either spot?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

In general, being south but at a high elevation can give you the longer days, moderate temperature but mediate that with breezes and lower temps of higher elevation. For example, the mountains west of I81 in Virginia. There aren't going to be cities very close, but from a weather standpoint, it's pretty nice. Northern Arizona, or even into the mountains north of Phoenix gets pretty nice. Yes, parts of Arizona get some snow in the winter. I haven't been there for any amount of time, but would expect similar weather in the Smokey Mountains. I would think the Rockys would have similar but am not familiar with out west or where towns might be at elevation.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 am
I would suggest Monterey CA as having the best weather I've experienced. An amazing (small) city as well. But, it'll cost you...
Agreed. Lived there for some years, fabulous climate, not one regret living there. Now in Denver metro, summers hot and dry, but every night and early morning cools to 60's. Winters are not bad here either, milder & more sun days than the midwest and northeast.

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
marielake

Post by marielake »

I moved from New England to coastal NC for several reasons: weather, housing costs, family. The first year summer was brutally hot and humid. After that I decided to spend July/Aug in the mountains and rented for two summers. Last summer, I purchased a second home in NC mountains. I still miss New England charm and the 4 distinct seasons. In retrospect, the second home solved the weather problem, increased my housings costs, but satisfied the proximity to family. I don't regret it--the family part is the most important to me.
Jaylat

Post by Jaylat »

We moved to Souther Ca after living all over - midtown Manhattan, Hong Kong, Boston, Beijing. After the New England winters we wanted a change, and it has been great. Semi retired and a writer so we can live anywhere.

My tennis group plays year round, and almost every day we remark about how wonderful the weather is. Yes, it's expensive but definitely worth it for us.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am
phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Beware culture shock. If you grew up in the American South and have always lived there, the lack of "neighborliness" of other places, the lack of apparent common courtesy, will probably be quite difficult for you. William Least Heat Moon, in his classic travel book Blue Highways, had some good points on that.

(to be clear, I am not American. I don't live in the USA. This is just what I have observed of Americans either in my travels (pretty much all in the north east - Boston down to Washington, New England, Midwest, some parts of the South) or meeting them outside the UK. More than one friend has found the "what church do you attend?" questions in the south to be disconcerting - no one in England would ever ask that question.)

Asheville or surrounding might be a good compromise. Several times people here have mentioned Tennessee (which also has some centres of medical excellence). Perhaps Pennsylvania - still hot summers (and worse winters) but a relatively small shift.

Oregon would be very different, but might be worth a try. Also that bit of WA state just over the border.

California probably has the perfect climate (coastal CA) ie hot and dry, but the cost is brutal. Also the air quality issues associated with seasonal wildfires - which now seem to be an almost permanent fixture. Sacramento say would definitely be more affordable (and would have access to Lake Tahoe in winter?) albeit brutally hot in summer (but dry) but do remember it is on a flood plain - pick your location carefully.
+10000
Cultural adaptation and differences. . .
Pervasive. . insidious. . . from pleasant surprises. . to oppressive. . . YMMV. . .

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

I moved to the Triad region of North Carolina for almost the exact opposite weather reasons that you speak of. I was tired of the grey gloomy and snowy Indiana weather. I absolutely love it here because I get all four seasons, I'm three hours to the coast, three hours to the mountains, summers can be hot and humid but it's not all the time.

The biggest recommendation would be to know what you're getting into. Have a plan to reestablish social connections/ make friends if that's what you're into. You may be farther away from family, there won't be a "safety net" of friends and family around at first.

It's work like anything else and takes effort.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Yes, went from western Washington to Arizona.

Do not regret it for a moment, even with the hot summers!
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 am
Redwood City is perhaps even better climate than Monterey. I no longer live there but moved there a long time ago from Buffalo. Quite the difference.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Moved from Southern California to Western Washington for reasons other than the weather.

Moved back to California a few years later. Weather was a big part of why. But also, family and friends were in CA. If you’re thinking about moving, think about all aspects of where you live, not just the weather.
iamblessed wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:31 am I love the west but the closest I can get price wise is western Kansas or western Nebraska. Anybody lived in either spot?
Grew up there, and still visit from time to time. The weather is drier and less hot than the south, but not particularly good for most definitions of good weather. Very windy, and tornadoes are a thing. And be prepared for things like slow and expensive internet, lack of health care, and a four hour drive to Costco. Good people, the few there are anyway, but it’s not a place I would choose to move to unless I had a reason to go there (family, work, etc).
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

We moved from the DC area to northern New Mexico, and we love it. Not -just- because of the weather, but that's a huge factor. Never humid, and the house doesn't even have AC of any sort, and that's not an issue except for perhaps a couple of weeks in the hottest part of the summer.

It's over 7,000 feet, so that really helps, and even when the heat of the day is warm, mornings and evenings are just delightful. Blue skies and sunshine nearly every day.

We visited here many times before making the move, but it was always in the summer, so the other seasons were unknown. Fortunately, it all turned out very nicely, even the Winters which seem to have just enough snow to be interesting, but not enough to be annoying.

Check out any planned move by visiting as much as possible, at different times of year.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Moved from the mid-Atlantic to the Phoenix metro. No regrets at all.
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

It's a huge quality-of-life improvement! It impacts nearly everything you do and you'll actually appreciate it actively. Highly recommend.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I've always been a snow person. Nothing more amazing than watching snow come down and everything turns white. I finally got to go skiing in my later 20s locally back east and then with a friend out west and found the scenery amazing. Not being athletic and a latecomer to skiing I was never a strong skier but could get down most slopes w/o falling or getting injured.

I grew up in the mid-atlantic and dreaded summers there because of the heat and humidity. We also visited FL year due to grandparents being there. Both places I hated weather wise. The heat just made you sweat and it always felt "buggy".

I ended up getting a contract offer (with per diem) back in 2000 and ended up in.....Scottsdale, AZ. To my surprise I loved it. Never need to look at a weather forecast and incredible weather for 8 months of the year. The heat does get to you in July through September. If you have money (not me) and could afford to live elsewhere those months it would be ideal.

The dry weather is very addictive and it is much easy to sit outside w/o swarms of insects bothering you. And once the sun goes down it is very pleasant even in parts of the hot summer.

I still wonder if living in a winter place would be best for me but I sure don't miss driving in snow/ice, shoveling the snow (much prefer that to yard work but my back doesn't), cleaning off the car, getting stuck in traffic jams, etc. I wouldn't mind going somewhere for a month in the winter just to sit and stare at the snow. Fortunately I was able to do one of my "bucket" trips by visiting Switzerland and see mountains such as the Matterhorn and resorts like Zermatt (a bit pricey for me).

The weather gets very addictive.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I moved away from good weather and don't regret it. Lived in southern California for the first 24yrs of my life and have since lived in Salt Lake City, Texas (Houston and Austin), Mesa, and now in Utah County, Utah. All four destinations have far less agreeable weather (for most people, I actually have little problem with heat and/or humidity, and I like changing seasons), but I would live in any one of them over moving back to California 10/10. At least for me, weather isn't particularly important.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am

...If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? ...

Wife and I moved almost twenty years ago from our home town in the southern plains (miserable hot humid summers and cold winters without the outdoor cold winter activities) to the Pacific Northwest. After using vacations to test various areas, we decided we liked the cooler, drier summers of the Pacific NW. And in the winter, there's a ton to do outside, especially if you live in or near the high desert areas of Washington or Oregon.

So to answer your specific questions: yes, we moved for weather (and overall outside environment). And yes, it has lived up to our expectations for about 20 years. No regrets.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

Beach wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:25 am Moved from Florida to Midwest...hate it (weather and lack of family)

Ready to go home
Your screen name says it all! We're selling our house in the Midwest to move to south FL. Weather is only part of it, but significant for me. For example, I prefer running on the beach in 90 degrees and 90% humidity in FL summers to running in the freezing cold and snow in Midwest winters. Selling at/near what may be the top of the housing market and the lack of FL state income taxes are compelling as well, and being able to keep our jobs and work remotely is key.

We've lived in New England, Southern CA, the Midwest, and we've had the vacation home in FL for a few years. The best all around weather was So Cal, but it's way too expensive, and we could never afford to be on the water there. Second for me is FL, as long as I can be on the water. I do like New England and the Midwest much of the year, but I'm ready to be done with the winters. Our plan is to be snowbirds and go to New England for the worst of the FL summers. If you can afford it and don't mind the back & forth, being snowbirds may be the best of all worlds. We'll see.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

If you are looking on the East Coast, I think the area around the eastern Tennessee/western NC border is awesome. All four seasons with great hiking and it doesn't get too hot in the mountains. Asheville is overcrowded/expensive, but the surrounding towns are much more affordable with some nice little downtown areas.
Hulu

Post by Hulu »

I went to public college in the Carolinas after growing up in the northeast. I loved it though vowed to try not to raise a family in the south. Maybe it’s different decades later or that my experiences were specific to where I went to school however the culture was not open-minded enough for me.

For retirement it would depend on kids/grandkids and friends. Certain parts of Florida have lots of appeal. Florida is diverse in terms of culture. Key West, Miami, Sarasota, Naples, Orlando, Jacksonville, the Villages Tampa and the gulf all are different culture-wise.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I love where I live on almost every level (W MA) 7-8 months of the year but HATE winter , also on almost every level.

As an avid windsurfer, in 1991 (pre-Chavez) I bought a condo on a Venezuelan island at a world-class windsurfing site. Since retiring I spent 3-5 months there every winter and adored it....perfect weather (dry heat), windsurfing every day, great close-knit community with friends I stay in touch with, incredibly cheap and beautiful.

Since Venezuela has become a dysfunctional and failed state, my fiancee is afraid I will die if I return. Flying in and out has become a nightmare. Most of my friends with the ability to leave have left. Plus she, like me, also hates winter and works in NYC...cold, windy, subways, lonely etc.

So we found a compromise...a community in FL that meets most of our needs. Multiple cheap quick RT flights to NY, beautiful beaches, good bike trails, lots of cultural opportunities (including places where she can dance and I can play jazz), good food, walkable, not just a bunch of strip malls and gated communities. (And an added bonus... as per a previous poster, nobody has yet asked "What church do you attend?" *giggle*) The past couple of years we have been staying there in airbnb's ...me for Jan+Feb and her about half the time. It has worked pretty well except it does not feel like home (the Venezuelan island did feel like home). What is missing is friends/community and our own place.

We would consider moving there full-time at some stage and travel or come back North in the summer. Heat does not bother me though I balk at being responsible for more real estate (I like simplicity). I doubt she would ever give up her NYC apartment- NY is in her blood. I'd rather somebody else besides me deal with hurricane risk to the property (the beauty of airbnb) , and I would want to establish a community there first so I would feel more at home. So we will continue doing what we are doing until we come up with a better idea. It's mostly working. The bottom line is that there is a lot to love about where I live now....except winter.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
phositadc

Post by phositadc »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

So you went VA to Denver then back east?

I take it your ultimate assessment is that you liked Denver but apparently not enough to stay there?
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

Following this thread. Also, it has been my experience that subscribing to the digital newspaper of a potential future home can be a double-edged sword. I enjoy reading about restaurants and cultural events (and seeing the temperature on the homepage: sunny and 60's!) but I don't enjoy reading about the crime, budget difficulties, and other newsworthy items that are the bulk of a newspaper. Yet I spend more time reading the latter, which I intend to correct.
baritone

Post by baritone »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

The third time someone asks "what church do you attend?" - I'm packing up.
baritone

Post by baritone »

If you indeed work from home and can live anywhere, the mountain west is great. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Co. Springs - just stay away from the Denver traffic. If you need warm and dry, maybe Las Cruces NM
Tigermoose

Post by Tigermoose »

We moved from the St. Louis Missouri area to Southern California 3 years ago for the weather and to have more opportunities and things to do. We love it! You have to mitigate the following:
  • High housing costs
  • Bad traffic
  • Petty crime
I was able to get a significant increase in my wages to help with the higher housing costs.
I was taking the train to mitigate traffic, but with the coronavirus I have decided to stop public transportation. My Honda Fit gets great gas mileage and I enjoy listening to audiobooks and podcasts during my drive, so no biggy.
Petty crime is annoying. We've learned to lock our bikes up in our garage and to remove all valuables from parked cars.

We also chose an area in Southern California that is not as expensive, but it does take a longer commute to work. The people where we live are more similar to the suburbs in Missouri, and we avoid the freakishness of some parts around here! :D

We are able to do things on the weekends that would have only been possible on 2 week vacations at our old location near St. Louis. We are 45 minutes from mountains, beaches, deserts, cultural sites, etc. The weather is fantastic. No ice! And no mosquitoes and humidity!
Institutions matter
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

So you went VA to Denver then back east?

I take it your ultimate assessment is that you liked Denver but apparently not enough to stay there?
My husband died, we were together 41 years, and after almost a year of depression, the family wanted me back; they came and literally drove me and the vehicle and cats back east.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

For a lot of people weather doesn't matter much. For others it is major factor. You like playing golf but live in a place with a 4 month season? Moving can help. Love skiing but the nearest mountain is 400 miles away? Moving might help. But a lot of people are sort of in the middle. Yeah it is more pleasant to go walking when it is 75 versus 90 but it isn't a big enough factor to really change things up. You need to figure out who you are and what good weather is for you.

For most of us things like jobs and friends and family, and COL, factor into where we live as much as weather. How you balance all of those factors is pretty personal.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Anybody move to the drier part of Washington like Yakima or Spokane? What do you think of the weather?
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Like you, I was in hot and humid weather most of my life. Born and raised in Tampa. Starting my career, I moved to the Twin Cities and loved the milder summer, actual seasons, and the winter temperatures was very refreshing to me. About two years ago I accepted a position in Asheville and have been here ever since. I miss the winters of the north, but the summers are definitely not as bad as Tampa. The great thing about Asheville is if it's a hot day, drive up in the higher elevations for a hike/picnic/trail run. It can be 20-40 degrees cooler than the temperature in the city. Fall is absolutely gorgeous here too.

To answer your question about kicking yourself, it has not happened to me. Whenever I'm curious, I look at the temperature in Tampa, scoff, then go right back to being grateful I don't live there anymore.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am
If you indeed work from home and can live anywhere, the mountain west is great. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Co. Springs - just stay away from the Denver traffic. If you need warm and dry, maybe Las Cruces NM
I've been researching places to live for years now and still haven't come to any definite conclusion, but I will say that New Mexico is looking increasingly attractive.

The state has a quirky income tax system that, by my calculations, would allow a MFJ couple to earn around, say, $40K in qualified dividends and $26K in municipal bond interest and still qualify for a "low and middle-income tax exemption", knocking around $2920 off of their state income tax bill, making their overall (State and Federal) tax bill much lower than it would be if their bond interest came from, say, a Total Bond Market fund.

I'm not so sure about living in Albuquerque due to sprawl and crime issues, but the weather in Santa Fe does seem to be ideal. Housing in Santa Fe though can be a bit hit-or-miss if you aren't in the $500K+ range, and finding a place with a large garage seems to be quite the challenge. Plus, in another thread on "Where to Live", many people expressed some concerns about the state of health care in Santa Fe.

Las Cruces, though, does seem to have a lot going for it. College town, mountains nearby, warm weather, access to El Paso and its largish airport, good health care from what I can tell, and fantastic food. Cheap housing too, for the most part. I've been told by more than one person that Santa Fe is great for vacations, but Las Cruces is great for living.

But Las Cruces is a tad remote, in the sense that there isn't much south of you, and aside from El Paso, there isn't much around for about a 4 hour drive. And the future of water availability is always a question in the back of my mind.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

We moved from Alabama to middle TN. Made a 2 climate zone change (though the climate zones were later revised so it became 1 zone difference). We were looking for 4 seasons, none which were too severe. We thought we left the extended hot and breathtaking humidity behind us. We did - sort of.

Once we made the move, the TN summers were around 80 - 85 degrees with light humidity. With changing climate of recent years, it's a jekyl and hyde situation. Some summers are similar to what we left behind - others not so much. Winters have become unpredictable in a similar way - where we used to get a little snow most years, it's rare now. We might have a seriously frigid winter or just a few weeks of cold and the rest being in the 40's.

Long way of saying don't count your chicks before they hatch!
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

Took a large pay cut and moved to a much higher cost of living area about 3 years ago...predominantly weather driven reasons.

I wake up everyday in paradise and my only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner.

You only get one life. As everyone is keenly aware...it is precious and can be shorter than expected. Don't waste time being somewhere you aren't happy.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
VanGogh

Post by VanGogh »

About a year and a half ago, we moved from Northeast Pennsylvania to Far North Scottsdale. So far, I like it and don't regret the move. Whether it's a permanent move remains to be seen.