Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ram

Re: Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Post by ram »

I have lived in various places.
New Orleans (hot & humid), Buffalo (heavy snow), Upper midwest ( -20F), Saudi Arabia (120F, dry). Humans can adapt.
Though my retirement is still a few years away, I will be looking at places which have a little less of the negatives I have noted with above locations. I have friends who have retired in Florida and Arizona and are happy there. I have visited them but only doing their good season. We will be exploring potential retirement locations during the next few years. My hope is to find a place which has very good weather for 8 months, acceptable weather for 2 months and get out of there for the worst 2 months.
Ram
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm
baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am
If you indeed work from home and can live anywhere, the mountain west is great. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Co. Springs - just stay away from the Denver traffic. If you need warm and dry, maybe Las Cruces NM
I've been researching places to live for years now and still haven't come to any definite conclusion, but I will say that New Mexico is looking increasingly attractive.

The state has a quirky income tax system that, by my calculations, would allow a MFJ couple to earn around, say, $40K in qualified dividends and $26K in municipal bond interest and still qualify for a "low and middle-income tax exemption", knocking around $2920 off of their state income tax bill, making their overall (State and Federal) tax bill much lower than it would be if their bond interest came from, say, a Total Bond Market fund.

I'm not so sure about living in Albuquerque due to sprawl and crime issues, but the weather in Santa Fe does seem to be ideal. Housing in Santa Fe though can be a bit hit-or-miss if you aren't in the $500K+ range, and finding a place with a large garage seems to be quite the challenge. Plus, in another thread on "Where to Live", many people expressed some concerns about the state of health care in Santa Fe.

Las Cruces, though, does seem to have a lot going for it. College town, mountains nearby, warm weather, access to El Paso and its largish airport, good health care from what I can tell, and fantastic food. Cheap housing too, for the most part. I've been told by more than one person that Santa Fe is great for vacations, but Las Cruces is great for living.

But Las Cruces is a tad remote, in the sense that there isn't much south of you, and aside from El Paso, there isn't much around for about a 4 hour drive. And the future of water availability is always a question in the back of my mind.
Why not just move to El Paso?
WS1

Post by WS1 »

Luckily everyone here is rich enough to have multiple homes..or at least aggressively AirBnB
https://www.citylab.com/environment/20 ... ay/411406/
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Volcano, Hawaii. 50 degF at night and 80 in the daytime. Nice. I love jacket weather. I do not live there, but I want to go back and stay for a while. Waimea (Big Island) is a close second.

I think the solution, at least for the FI crowd, is to snowbird or reverse-snowbird, depending on your preferences. You can tailor your stay to coincide with the best of the shoulder seasons. Build it into your plans and budget. Not everyone can do that.

I convinced myself long ago that I could be happy anywhere. I run mental scenarios of living as an old man in a dilapidated downtown apartment in a big crime-ridden city, or as a hermit on the edge of the wilderness (alone in poverty), or as part of a commune (or nursing home), or in a small house in a nice suburb. I will make it no matter what.

I will also say that I live in Los Angeles, and you might be surprised at the number people who complain *BITTERLY* whenever it's a cloudy day or the temperature is below 75 degrees. Parkas and mukluks when the temperatures go below 50! People wearing down jackets inside in the summer due to the air conditioning. :confused

It's all relative, and I think many could be happier by embracing their current situation and making the best of it. Not in some miserable sense, but really optimizing what life has presented to them. :beer
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

tooluser wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm Volcano, Hawaii. 50 degF at night and 80 in the daytime. Nice. I love jacket weather. I do not live there, but I want to go back and stay for a while. Waimea (Big Island) is a close second.

I think the solution, at least for the FI crowd, is to snowbird or reverse-snowbird, depending on your preferences. You can tailor your stay to coincide with the best of the shoulder seasons. Build it into your plans and budget. Not everyone can do that.

I convinced myself long ago that I could be happy anywhere. I run mental scenarios of living as an old man in a dilapidated downtown apartment in a big crime-ridden city, or as a hermit on the edge of the wilderness (alone in poverty), or as part of a commune (or nursing home), or in a small house in a nice suburb. I will make it no matter what.

I will also say that I live in Los Angeles, and you might be surprised at the number people who complain *BITTERLY* whenever it's a cloudy day or the temperature is below 75 degrees. Parkas and mukluks when the temperatures go below 50! People wearing down jackets inside in the summer due to the air conditioning. :confused

It's all relative, and I think many could be happier by embracing their current situation and making the best of it. Not in some miserable sense, but really optimizing what life has presented to them. :beer
Agree. It often is more of a mindset and one's attitude I think. :happy
four7s

Post by four7s »

We moved from the upper Midwest to escape the horrible winters but also because the mild and humid summers really weren’t worth suffering through the severe winters. Long story short our previous 40 years have been in the Florida Keys and Las Vegas and we have no regrets. Living in sunshine 90% of the year is the absolute best part of our life because desert heat or high humidity can be intense. Sunshine is good for the soul.
LuckBeALady

Post by LuckBeALady »

We moved from Maine to Colorado (not the front range) 5 years ago for weather. Got completely sick of gray skies, mud and bug season, super short days in winter.

We love it here. Housing costs more, but we no longer pay $360/month for heating oil. Electricity is cheaper. No snow plow bills in winter. Property tax is 50% less on a slightly larger home. We both walk to work now, we only have one car that sits in the garage for a week at a time. We love being able to recreate out the front door without bugs, mud, ice, frigid temps, so many rainy days.

I do occasionally miss rain and thunderstorms, but honestly not much else other than our dear friends who still live in ME.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

We moved from a small town in western Colorado (Eagle) to a slightly larger town on Arizona (Sedona) solely for a warmer climate. We still love western Colorado, but now in our mid 70's we appreciate the change with no regrets. Yea, it gets hotter in the summer than we would like, but the humidity is usually very low, and when the humidity does get above 30 percent, the powerful thunderstorms provide a welcome relief, whereas in Colorado an afternoon thunderstorm could easily induce hyperthermia to guy out on a bike ride.

So a move to a better climate surely worked out for us.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
potatoman

Post by potatoman »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm
Random Poster wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm
baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am
If you indeed work from home and can live anywhere, the mountain west is great. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Co. Springs - just stay away from the Denver traffic. If you need warm and dry, maybe Las Cruces NM
Las Cruces, though, does seem to have a lot going for it. College town, mountains nearby, warm weather, access to El Paso and its largish airport, good health care from what I can tell, and fantastic food. Cheap housing too, for the most part. I've been told by more than one person that Santa Fe is great for vacations, but Las Cruces is great for living.

But Las Cruces is a tad remote, in the sense that there isn't much south of you, and aside from El Paso, there isn't much around for about a 4 hour drive. And the future of water availability is always a question in the back of my mind.
Why not just move to El Paso?
The big downside to El Paso is that property taxes are through the roof. A $275k house will run about $7k in property taxes (assuming you're on the West side of the city, the East side is cheaper). Also for the original comment about El Paso's 'largish' airport; many flights out of El Paso will have you connecting through Phoenix, Austin, Dallas, or Houston which is not great if you're heading East as most of your day will be lost to travel every time you fly (keep in mind El Paso is one of the few cities in Texas in the Mountain time zone so you lose an extra hour heading East).

Also, if medical facilities are important, do some careful research before considering El Paso. It's not uncommon for people with money to travel to a location with better care at the Mayo in AZ or to facilities in Houston.

Since I've said a few negative things, one positive is that the Franklin mountains are pretty and very accessible. Mountain biking and hiking are excellent here and there are many trails available. The Mexican food is also top notch (but the city is 85% Hispanic so that should be expected). If you like a dry climate with an abundance of sun, there are very few cities in the US that will be able to rival El Paso's sunshine hours. If it isn't obvious, I live in El Paso.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I am looking to leave Jersey at some point for warmer and/or cheaper weather. Delaware, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Nevada, Texas are all on the list. I don't mind heat, I am disgusted with humidity though.

But I doubt any of my family would follow me. So I may get stuck paying obscene amount of tax (property, income, sales) for humid summers & long cold disgusting winters. For the rest of my darn life.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I have lived in a number of places, with different typical weather patterns, and I've never liked any of them on that basis. There certainly have been pleasant days, but there's nowhere I've experienced, not even on travels, where I'd move for year-round weather.

The problem probably isn't the local climate. Probably it's me.

PJW
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

When I was a kid growing up somewhere cold, I remember winter storms that would dump 4ft of snow overnight.

Even as a kid I thought this is miserable. Who lives like this?

As an 8 year old, we did a tour of the US. When we came to SoCal I told my Mom to just leave me at the airport.

Anyway, I made my way here 23 years ago. Best decision is my life.

Yes, it's hard to make ends meet and everything is expensive. But there are 25 million people that have figured out how to make it work.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 am Hawaii > Northern Arizona

HCOL vs> LCOL ++++
City vs> Country +++++
Congestion, Traffic, Noise, Stress vs > Quiet > More free range cattle than people ++++
Golf Weather Year Round vs> 4 seasons -- + -- -- -- +
White sand beaches vs> Mountains and open range land - - - - - -
International / Hawaiian/Asian Tropical Island Culture vs ???? -- + -- + -- +
Fish and Poi / international authentic foods vs Steak n Potatoes - - - - -
City lifestyle (cramp) vs outdoor lifestyle +++++++++

When moving, there are more factors to consider than weather. . . :shock:

Do not regret the move as it was a long range plan.
DW is happy, very happy.
Do not regret the move.
DW is happy.
. . . . . .

"Auwe!". . "koʻu maikaʻi"! :shock:
j :happy

1 mile from where we used to live for many decades.Image
My wife and I recently added it up and as a military brat and career military officer I have lived in 38 different places around the world, which was shocking to me when we added it all up. I have a lot of options about the various places I’ve lived from Vietnam to Korea, to major cities such as London, New York and Berlin.

Interestingly, through all that sand trap and I have shared sand in our locations, specifically Kailua, Hawaii. The climate there was pretty close to perfect, but the tourism began to wear. We settled on western North Carolina instead with a moderate version of four seasons. We have spring and a fabulous fall, one of the best for foliage in the US, but perhaps more importantly our winters are less frigid and summers less overwhelming. It for us is an ideal four season location. In short we find it largely ideal to our tastes and are very happy with our locality for a well rounded, yet not too extreme location. Take a look at the weather patterns for the Asheville region of North Carolina.
Last edited by 3504PIR on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMD1

Post by CMD1 »

iamblessed wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm Anybody move to the drier part of Washington like Yakima or Spokane? What do you think of the weather?
We lived in Spokane for years. Since moved on to Atlanta and now Seattle. The weather is great if your into 4 seasons, snowy winters and it's drier, until you consider the amount of snow they get. Winters are long, but depends how much you enjoy that. Other factors like career may have a bigger downside depending on your situation. And if your in Western Wa you may miss the green, the sound, the access to big city amenities and access to the mountains. Spokane has great outdoor access depending on what your looking for, hard to beat the access to rainier, olympics, cascades, mt baker (especially if your a hiker, camper or do winter sports). In my experience each location is different and unique and your bound to miss old things but find new things in your new home.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

3504PIR wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 am Hawaii > Northern Arizona

HCOL vs> LCOL ++++
City vs> Country +++++
Congestion, Traffic, Noise, Stress vs > Quiet > More free range cattle than people ++++
Golf Weather Year Round vs> 4 seasons -- + -- -- -- +
White sand beaches vs> Mountains and open range land - - - - - -
International / Hawaiian/Asian Tropical Island Culture vs ???? -- + -- + -- +
Fish and Poi / international authentic foods vs Steak n Potatoes - - - - -
City lifestyle (cramp) vs outdoor lifestyle +++++++++

When moving, there are more factors to consider than weather. . . :shock:

Do not regret the move as it was a long range plan.
DW is happy, very happy.
Do not regret the move.
DW is happy.
. . . . . .

"Auwe!". . "koʻu maikaʻi"! :shock:

1 mile from where we used to live for many decades.Image
My wife and I recently added it up and as a military brat and career military officer I have lived in 38 different places around the world, which was shocking to me when we added it all up. I have a lot of options about the various places I’ve lived from Vietnam to Korea, to major cities such as London, New York and Berlin.

Interestingly, through all that sand trap and I have shared sand in our locations, specifically Kailua, Hawaii. The climate there was pretty close to perfect, but the tourism began to wear. We settled on western North Carolina instead with a moderate version of four seasons. We have spring and a fabulous fall, one of the best for foliage in the US, but perhaps more importantly our winters are less frigid and summers less overwhelming. It for us is an ideal four season location. In short we find it largely ideal to our tastes and are very happy with our locality for a well rounded, yet not too extreme location. Take a look at the weather patterns for the Asheville region of North Carolina.
Good catch.
The picture is from Kailua Beach, Oahu, Hawaii.

We had considered retiring to N Carolina 10 years ago. Beautiful area. Horse country.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm Why not just move to El Paso?
El Paso is crowded and cramped due to geography restrictions.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

3CT_Paddler wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:08 am If you are looking on the East Coast, I think the area around the eastern Tennessee/western NC border is awesome. All four seasons with great hiking and it doesn't get too hot in the mountains. Asheville is overcrowded/expensive, but the surrounding towns are much more affordable with some nice little downtown areas.
I live on Long Island and won't move until retirement. The climate is pretty good given the moderating effect of the water, but the taxes and traffic are annoying (and so are some of the people!). This winter was largely devoid of snow, as was the last. It got me thinking that maybe some place further south would be nice. Maybe I don't like snow as much as I thought I did. We're interested in areas outside of Knoxville TN so we'd get the mountains to the east and a manageable sized city with some restaurants and health care options. We were going to visit this summer, but now I'm not so sure. Whatever the case, anyone else here have thoughts on the Knoxville area?
tnr

Post by tnr »

I grew up outside of Knoxville in Oak Ridge. Beautiful area with lots of mountains and lakes. The west side of Knoxville is the more affluent section. Maryville is also very popular because of close proximity to the National Park and the airport. People are conservative politically and it’s not nearly as diverse as the New York. Summers can be a little hot and humid, but not much snow in Winter. I highly recommend as a place to consider for retirees.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

From age 16-29 I was tied to the East Coast. Learned to loathe 1) humidity + heat, 2) bugs!!! 2) gray, overcast winters (& ice storms), 3) hoards of people and 4) hurricane threats. First trip to Colorado (in June) for job interview my wife commented (upon exiting the shower), "Hey, I'm actually getting dry!!!". Moved here 40+ years ago and have never missed the East Coast since. Had to move back to VA for Feb-Jul in 2017 and couldn't wait to leave. Got home, exited the car and immediately knelt down to kiss the ground. I'll never go back.

BUT, Colorado's weather isn't perfect. Yesterday and today were sunny and in the low 70s. Tomorrow & Friday will be low 30s and snow (1-3") then gradually back to 70 on Sunday. Also, when I moved here Colorado's entire population was 1.5mil. Now it is 5.6mil with most folks living along the Front Range...getting crowded.

I was eyeing Carson City, NV for a while, but I think I just stay here (hate moving).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Four years ago I moved from Minnesota to Central Coast of California. It was the best move I ever made. I gladly pay the extra expense to be able to be active outside 12 months a year. NO REGRETS!
ballons

Post by ballons »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US. The southeast is hot and humid in the summer and has a scary hurricane season. The northeast is cold and snowy in the winter. The midwest has both problems. The great plains have heat, cold, and nearly constant wind. The southwest, although not humid, gets really really hot in the summer. The northwest is too rainy and gloomy for much of the year. The western third of the country is plagued by drought, wildfires, and earthquakes. The best one can do is to pick your poison and endure it. I've lived my entire life in the mid-Atlantic states, and that seems to be the best compromise for me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it.
Agreed. The grass is always greener on the other side i.e. every place sucks, you just don't know it yet. Moving solely just for weather isn't going to work out long term unless your age/medical condition necessitates it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ballons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:15 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US. The southeast is hot and humid in the summer and has a scary hurricane season. The northeast is cold and snowy in the winter. The midwest has both problems. The great plains have heat, cold, and nearly constant wind. The southwest, although not humid, gets really really hot in the summer. The northwest is too rainy and gloomy for much of the year. The western third of the country is plagued by drought, wildfires, and earthquakes. The best one can do is to pick your poison and endure it. I've lived my entire life in the mid-Atlantic states, and that seems to be the best compromise for me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it.
Agreed. The grass is always greener on the other side i.e. every place sucks, you just don't know it yet. Moving solely just for weather isn't going to work out long term unless your age/medical condition necessitates it.
+2. I've found that "nice weather" and how much I enjoyed living in a place were almost inversely related.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

tnr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:27 pm I grew up outside of Knoxville in Oak Ridge. Beautiful area with lots of mountains and lakes. The west side of Knoxville is the more affluent section. Maryville is also very popular because of close proximity to the National Park and the airport. People are conservative politically and it’s not nearly as diverse as the New York. Summers can be a little hot and humid, but not much snow in Winter. I highly recommend as a place to consider for retirees.
If you think Knoxville summers with the brutal heat and suffocating humidity are ok, then there is a wide range of places for you to choose to live in the US.:) The Tornado alerts were also a bit disturbing. I think I prefer the earthquakes that just show up:) I would also move back to knoxville any day of the week versus living in upstate New York or Indiana again.....
TXGymGuy84

Post by TXGymGuy84 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:58 am I moved away from good weather and don't regret it. Lived in southern California for the first 24yrs of my life and have since lived in Salt Lake City, Texas (Houston and Austin), Mesa, and now in Utah County, Utah. All four destinations have far less agreeable weather (for most people, I actually have little problem with heat and/or humidity, and I like changing seasons), but I would live in any one of them over moving back to California 10/10. At least for me, weather isn't particularly important.
What didn't you like about Southern CA?
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Great post, big thank you to the author. We live in Arkansas and have noticed the past five years have been nothing but rainy day after rainy day. Our winters are very mild, but gray. We have also noticed that the winters and summers last longer, while the fall and spring last only weeks. We have young kids and love being outside, so we are eyeing Florida and Arizona.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 am
3CT_Paddler wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:08 am If you are looking on the East Coast, I think the area around the eastern Tennessee/western NC border is awesome. All four seasons with great hiking and it doesn't get too hot in the mountains. Asheville is overcrowded/expensive, but the surrounding towns are much more affordable with some nice little downtown areas.
I live on Long Island and won't move until retirement. The climate is pretty good given the moderating effect of the water, but the taxes and traffic are annoying (and so are some of the people!). This winter was largely devoid of snow, as was the last. It got me thinking that maybe some place further south would be nice. Maybe I don't like snow as much as I thought I did. We're interested in areas outside of Knoxville TN so we'd get the mountains to the east and a manageable sized city with some restaurants and health care options. We were going to visit this summer, but now I'm not so sure. Whatever the case, anyone else here have thoughts on the Knoxville area?
I live on Long Island and went to college in Knoxville. Summer was hot and humid. Are you a beach/water person? Not sure I’d completely abandon LI permanently.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:58 am I moved away from good weather and don't regret it. Lived in southern California for the first 24yrs of my life and have since lived in Salt Lake City, Texas (Houston and Austin), Mesa, and now in Utah County, Utah. All four destinations have far less agreeable weather (for most people, I actually have little problem with heat and/or humidity, and I like changing seasons), but I would live in any one of them over moving back to California 10/10. At least for me, weather isn't particularly important.

I lived in Southern California for the first 29yrs of my life. Have no desire to live there again either.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Turbo29 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:05 pm

I lived in Southern California for the first 29yrs of my life. Have no desire to live there again either.
I just hope that you two are OK. :happy
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Winter in the desert, summer at the beach...do not regret it AT ALL.

Sitting inside in summer in a VLCOL area where it is 90* with 90% humidity and staring at a Quicken screen that shows me how much I have in the bank?

Not wired that way.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

it sounds like the start of your post, where you have lived in this weather all your life and seriously dislike it, is evidence to combat the fear you state at the end, that you wish to move somewhere better but human nature means you'll get used to it too quickly and so it may not be worthwhile.

I think the fact that weather bothers you so much and you are not used to it is strong evidence that you would be glad after a move.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
anoop

Post by anoop »

OP, it sounds like you can try before you commit given your flexible life circumstances. Try living in some other place for a year before you sell your house and uproot yourself. You might be taking many of the positives in your current place for granted.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

WS1 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm
alpenglow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:25 am
I live on Long Island and went to college in Knoxville. Summer was hot and humid. Are you a beach/water person? Not sure I’d completely abandon LI permanently.
100% not a beach/water person. Much more a mountain person.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I live in Kansas I like it but not the humidity. That lasts about four months a year the rest of the year is not that bad. The trouble is if I want to move to get away from humidity it is always more money.
Last edited by iamblessed on Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:02 pm

FWIW, my wife's entire family and everybody in my family (parents and 7 kids, except 1 brother) moved out of California as adults, not a single one would move back. Almost everybody I know that left would not consider moving back. There is a reason (many of them) that California is experiencing it's slowest population growth ever, and it has nothing to do with weather. People still love the weather and it is the place to be for opportunity in some industries (including my wife's, but she dislikes California more than I do), but it would be a really long post if I began listing off the reasons I personally would never move back.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:36 am

FWIW, my wife's entire family and everybody in my family (parents and 7 kids, except 1 brother) moved out of California as adults, not a single one would move back. Almost everybody I know that left would not consider moving back. There is a reason (many of them) that California is experiencing it's slowest population growth ever, and it has nothing to do with weather. People still love the weather and it is the place to be for opportunity in some industries (including my wife's, but she dislikes California more than I do), but it would be a really long post if I began listing off the reasons I personally would never move back.
I have lived in SoCal for the past few years after growing up in NYC area and living in Seattle for a while. California is by far the worst place I’ve lived. Planned to move but that’s delayed due to the pandemic, but once the virus dies down I’m leaving California and have no intention of ever moving back.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Moved from the treeless flats of the Great Plains (nothing between there and Canada to stop the wind except a few barbed wire fences), to live near a rugged area of Arizona, in 1972. That day, it was 7 degrees with blowing wind, at 7:00 in the morning in my home town. AM radio said 21 degrees was the high temperature, later that day. The next day, in Tucson, it was 70 and no wind. We visited a waterfall area in the foothills of the mountains.

Now ready to move on from Arizona, since my backpacking days (weekends and vacations) and my need for a job, are both gone.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

There is a large percentage of retired folks from California in our region. Similar thoughts as yours from mild to strong.
Not sure exactly but definitely not the weather.
I have asked why.
Most say, wide open spaces, no congestion and traffic, different "culture", old fashioned country feeling, abilty to go out in the National Forests around us, cost of living (huge), changes that California has undergone over many decades (not liked), government restrictions and red tape, taxes, etc.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

FireSekr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am
FWIW, my wife's entire family and everybody in my family (parents and 7 kids, except 1 brother) moved out of California as adults, not a single one would move back.
I have lived in SoCal for the past few years after growing up in NYC area and living in Seattle for a while. California is by far the worst place I’ve lived.
I'm also from NY (as in City), lived in LA for a couple of years. I found the weather there, just to focus on that, less superior to NY than I expected. It was plenty uncomfortable lots of days in the summer if not right on the water, including humidity. The winters were superior to NY ones, as advertised.

Culturally I was a fish out of water and would never live there permanently. But I realized that quickly, so the difference was more an adventure I mainly look back on fondly. Like living in other foreign countries. :happy (where I've also lived and similarly liked, but permanently? no way).

Now we're vaguely considering moving in retirement. CA is out for tax and other reasons, though the weather in *some* parts of CA (like near Redwood National Park we visited last year, avg Jan high temp in the high 50's, July in the high 60's, remarkable) is truly excellent. Reno NV area is one we've toyed with. FL, the common destination of NY'ers is way too hot/humid in summer. NY is as hot as I can possibly deal with, and as cold as I can possibly deal with.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

tooluser wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm
I will also say that I live in Los Angeles, and you might be surprised at the number people who complain *BITTERLY* whenever it's a cloudy day or the temperature is below 75 degrees.
Yes, I recall when I lived in Manhattan Beach in the 1980s....if the temp. went below 75 or there was a cloud in the sky I had the whole beach to myself. Everybody around me stayed in their apartment (or in their car).

What is clear from this thread (as well as "best place to retire" threads that constantly pop up) is that one man's (or woman's) meat is another's poison.

It takes all types to make a world. Which is a good thing.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 am Winter in the desert, summer at the beach...do not regret it AT ALL.
This is what I'm looking at. What desert/beach combo(s) do you recommend?
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

JackoC wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:25 am
FireSekr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:52 am
FWIW, my wife's entire family and everybody in my family (parents and 7 kids, except 1 brother) moved out of California as adults, not a single one would move back.
I have lived in SoCal for the past few years after growing up in NYC area and living in Seattle for a while. California is by far the worst place I’ve lived.
I'm also from NY (as in City), lived in LA for a couple of years. I found the weather there, just to focus on that, less superior to NY than I expected. It was plenty uncomfortable lots of days in the summer if not right on the water, including humidity. The winters were superior to NY ones, as advertised.

Culturally I was a fish out of water and would never live there permanently. But I realized that quickly, so the difference was more an adventure I mainly look back on fondly. Like living in other foreign countries. :happy (where I've also lived and similarly liked, but permanently? no way).

Now we're vaguely considering moving in retirement. CA is out for tax and other reasons, though the weather in *some* parts of CA (like near Redwood National Park we visited last year, avg Jan high temp in the high 50's, July in the high 60's, remarkable) is truly excellent. Reno NV area is one we've toyed with. FL, the common destination of NY'ers is way too hot/humid in summer. NY is as hot as I can possibly deal with, and as cold as I can possibly deal with.
That’s exactly how I feel especially the culture aspect. Mindset out here is so different from the east coast and mid west and I don’t care for it at all.

And you’re right about the weather. I’m lucky to live walking distance to the beach, so it doesn’t get too hot here, but even a few miles inland closer to LA downtown and the heat can be unbearable in the summer.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 am

There is a large percentage of retired folks from California in our region. Similar thoughts as yours from mild to strong.
I have asked why.
Most say, wide open spaces, no congestion and traffic, different "culture", old fashioned country feeling, abilty to go out in the National Forests around us, cost of living (huge), changes that California has undergone over many decades (not liked), government restrictions and red tape, taxes, etc.

This is similar to my view although cost of living is less of a concern for me than the other items especially the government restrictions, traffic, and toxic culture.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

FireSekr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:23 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 am

I have asked why.

This is similar to my view although cost of living is less of a concern for me than the other items especially the government restrictions, traffic, and toxic culture.
California may be not for those with faint hearts or without deep pockets. :( Actually, Los Angeles proper shouldn't be included for a desirable area for living.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm
FireSekr wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:23 pm This is similar to my view although cost of living is less of a concern for me than the other items especially the government restrictions, traffic, and toxic culture.
California may be not for those with faint hearts or without deep pockets. :( Actually, Los Angeles proper shouldn't be included for a desirable area for living.
I agree that CA is expensive, and there are undesirable aspects as mentioned, but it's not so bad if you're in a good neighborhood. I lived in the Los Angeles area for years, and thought it was pretty good overall, with great weather. I'd consider moving back to So Cal (or being there part time) if I was much wealthier, especially if I could be on the water. I wouldn't live in Los Angeles proper either though.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

3504PIR wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 pm We settled on western North Carolina instead with a moderate version of four seasons. We have spring and a fabulous fall, one of the best for foliage in the US, but perhaps more importantly our winters are less frigid and summers less overwhelming. It for us is an ideal four season location. In short we find it largely ideal to our tastes and are very happy with our locality for a well rounded, yet not too extreme location. Take a look at the weather patterns for the Asheville region of North Carolina.
The Commodore was no dummy...
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
anoop

Post by anoop »

David Jay wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:55 pm
3504PIR wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 pm We settled on western North Carolina instead with a moderate version of four seasons. We have spring and a fabulous fall, one of the best for foliage in the US, but perhaps more importantly our winters are less frigid and summers less overwhelming. It for us is an ideal four season location. In short we find it largely ideal to our tastes and are very happy with our locality for a well rounded, yet not too extreme location. Take a look at the weather patterns for the Asheville region of North Carolina.
The Commodore was no dummy...
I've lived in NC, MA and CA, and NC is hands down the best. 22 years later, I still regret leaving. MA was the worst. I never once looked back after I left.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

As I get older, heat bothers me less, but I do dread mid July to late August.
I got into intrastate 70 east traffic on a Friday afternoon last July, and made the switch to a back road to go up to Fort Collins, and couldn't get over the new homes developments northwest of Denver. It was like solid developments every 3 miles, with 100s of homes. And the traffic was horrid. It's like Californians have up and moved to Colorado. Suddenly I was in Boulder, coming in from of direction I didn't know. I was lost. GPS bailed me out, and kept out of i25 traffic jams. Yes, the Colorado traffic can be stressful indeed.
By the way, the Peach festival in Grand Junction Colorado was lots of fun. I'm single. Food way good. Beer better. Peaches to die for. Hands down the best peach I've ever had. I headed back to Grand Junction, the weather suits me fine out west. I hate humidity and heat together. I liked in western Colorado in July, August. Beautiful weather and mountains.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

Moved from the deep South to WA state, near the Canadian border. No regrets.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

rustymutt wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:21 am We moved from VA to CO - Denver area for several reasons including the weather. I loved the weather there. But there is more than weather. Denver and CO are beautiful, but at least in Denver/Boulder traffic was a nightmare and thus we were not able to take advantage of getting out to the mountains like we wanted. My friends from San Francisco and Seattle, said it was "nothing" but now that I am back east, I still get everywhere early, it would have taken twice as long in CO traffic.

As I get older, heat bothers me less, but I do dread mid July to late August.
I got into intrastate 70 east traffic on a Friday afternoon last July, and made the switch to a back road to go up to Fort Collins, and couldn't get over the new homes developments northwest of Denver. It was like solid developments every 3 miles, with 100s of homes. And the traffic was horrid. It's like Californians have up and moved to Colorado. Suddenly I was in Boulder, coming in from of direction I didn't know. I was lost. GPS bailed me out, and kept out of i25 traffic jams. Yes, the Colorado traffic can be stressful indeed.
By the way, the Peach festival in Grand Junction Colorado was lots of fun. I'm single. Food way good. Beer better. Peaches to die for. Hands down the best peach I've ever had. I headed back to Grand Junction, the weather suits me fine out west. I hate humidity and heat together. I liked in western Colorado in July, August. Beautiful weather and mountains.
I hate to admit it since here in VA we pride ourselves on our peaches, just like they do in GA, but CO peaches year in and year out were the best. I see its 24F now in Denver, its about 60 here in VA, the 24 never bothered me. I25 from Denver south was always heavy. At first it seemed Santa Fe Drive (85) going south seemed to save time, but as more folks caught on, it was just as bad.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
anticrastinator

Post by anticrastinator »

CMD1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:33 pm
iamblessed wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm Anybody move to the drier part of Washington like Yakima or Spokane? What do you think of the weather?
We lived in Spokane for years. Since moved on to Atlanta and now Seattle. The weather is great if your into 4 seasons, snowy winters and it's drier, until you consider the amount of snow they get. Winters are long, but depends how much you enjoy that. Other factors like career may have a bigger downside depending on your situation. And if your in Western Wa you may miss the green, the sound, the access to big city amenities and access to the mountains. Spokane has great outdoor access depending on what your looking for, hard to beat the access to rainier, olympics, cascades, mt baker (especially if your a hiker, camper or do winter sports). In my experience each location is different and unique and your bound to miss old things but find new things in your new home.
We lived in Yakima for 6 years before moving to Atlanta in 2009. Contrary to what people usually think when they hear Washington state, the weather is quite different than Seattle. Hot dry summers, beautiful but short falls and long cold dreary winters. Little snow compared to, say, Montana, but may stay on the ground through March due to cold temperatures. Gray skies for long periods during winter, short days and long nights. Small town feel despite size, plus feeling some cabin fever as going to Seattle or Portland may be dicey with having to go through mountain passes. Summers are great, hot and dry, blue skies, long days, cool short nights. NO BUGS! Overall the weather is probably better than many other places in the US. I like Atlanta weather better, despite the humidity during summertime.