Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Valuethinker

Re: Did you move for better weather? Did you regret it?

Post by Valuethinker »

vitaflo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am And if you love skiing, say, or windsurfing, it's best to live somewhere where you can ski or windsurf (or its not too taxing to get to either).

Set those aside. If you are not happy with yourself, moving will not change things.
This is what I've come to realize. We live in MN so if we moved literally anywhere else it would have nicer weather. And we've certainly thought about moving seriously. But would it really be "better'? The QoL in MN is outstanding, it's just the weather that's stupid. And I've lived in the upper midwest my entire life so while less cold in the winter or less humidity in the summer sounds very tempting, I'm not sure it would really make me all that happier long term. I'd eventually just get used to it like I have the weather here.

And so what we've done is started making a list of cities that fit the things we *do* more than just fit some weather profile. And when we do that MN is still pretty darn competitive with most places on our list. And it sure costs a lot less too, probably because of the weather (nobody from CA is moving here that's for sure).
You are in effect describing my home country ... Canada.

The weather is lousy. The Cost of Living has exploded due housing bubbles (well, I think they are bubbles). Young people just can't get a foot on the housing ladder without parental help on the downpayment. People are taking crazy "teaser rate" mortgages to buy - we know how that episode ended in the USA.

But compared to many places, Canada is clean, tolerant, safe (low murder rate etc). Mentally it is quite provincial - both in its horizons and the internecine and incessant squabbling between city-province-Fed.

I can well understand what it is about MN that makes it attractive. However I keep thinking "Winnipeg" - Winnipeg has the double joy of being the mosquito capital of all the provincial Capitals-- it is built on a river delta. Really nice people come from Winnipeg, but no one says it's a nice climate.

The cottage country - lakes - up there are amazing, though. And Lake Superior itself is stunningly beautiful.
ckelly78z

Post by ckelly78z »

I am currently in NW Ohio, which seems to be the capitol of windy/overcast days. I love it in the Summer, and Fall while mostly sunny in the 80s/90s for pool time, but November through April is mostly brutal cold, and windy with very little sunshine, which makes me start shivering. It seems the only thing that can get me warm during the Winter is our back porch hot tub.

I would love to move to Southern Kentucky, and have a bigger farm (we now own 10 acres) in the hills, that was near some water, but both my wife, and I have determined that 26 years of living on this farm, and our whole lives in this area, have sewed some deep roots, and don't seem to have the youthful energy to start from scratch.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 pm Having been all over the US at one point or another and talking to many/researching the weather in various places, I’ve come to the conclusion that where I’m at/grew up has middle of the road weather, middle of the road people, middle of the road politics and is lcol somewhere in the middle of the Midwest. 20 minutes max to anywhere in town and “rush hour” adds maybe a few minutes. Yards are measured in acres, not square feet. Rainy gray cold winter days are the tradeoff I suppose to hcol among other things. I often come to the realizeation maybe it’s not so bad here and that many places would be great to visit but terrible to live.
I thought about where I grew up and live. It is LCOL and I like three out of four of the seasons so that ain't bad.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Sandi_k wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm Native Californian here.

- Grew up in San Bernardino/Inland Empire. High desert, 120 temps in the summer, fantastic summer nights.

- Moved to Santa Barbara. Moderate temps all year round, but cold and foggy in the summer.

- Moved to the Bay Area for college. Rainy and cold in the winter. Ick.

- Moved inland from the Bay Area, onto the California Delta. Just right: warm in the summer, cool enough and rainy enough in the winter, but NO SNOW. And I got my fantastic summer nights out on the deck back!

Life on the water is great. Close enough to OAK or SFO when necessary; good medical care; plenty of ethnic restaurants and fine dining within 30 minutes; lower crime and less traffic.
Sacramento? Affordable and very cool summer nights.
Nope, in a small town on the Delta, south of Sacramento. Less affordable, on the water, and warm summer nights. ;)
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

baritone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:40 am
Valuethinker wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am
phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Wife and I both work from home and can live anywhere. We're not tied to our current area in any meaningful social/schooling way. Other than the weather, we like our current area (good schools, medium cost of living, safe, convenient to get around, etc.) but don't think there's anything about it that we couldn't find elsewhere.

We're considering moving someplace that has milder summers. Stay east but try to get some elevation (Asheville)? Somewhere in the Mountain West that has less humidity and cooler evenings/mornings (Denver area)? Probably won't go to CA b/c it's too far from family and too expensive.
Beware culture shock. If you grew up in the American South and have always lived there, the lack of "neighborliness" of other places, the lack of apparent common courtesy, will probably be quite difficult for you. William Least Heat Moon, in his classic travel book Blue Highways, had some good points on that.

(to be clear, I am not American. I don't live in the USA. This is just what I have observed of Americans either in my travels (pretty much all in the north east - Boston down to Washington, New England, Midwest, some parts of the South) or meeting them outside the UK. More than one friend has found the "what church do you attend?" questions in the south to be disconcerting - no one in England would ever ask that question.)

Asheville or surrounding might be a good compromise. Several times people here have mentioned Tennessee (which also has some centres of medical excellence). Perhaps Pennsylvania - still hot summers (and worse winters) but a relatively small shift.
If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."

If I moved for better weather, would I quickly get used to it, and then kick myself for incurring the effort and expense of moving? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for any input.
Oregon would be very different, but might be worth a try. Also that bit of WA state just over the border.

California probably has the perfect climate (coastal CA) ie hot and dry, but the cost is brutal. Also the air quality issues associated with seasonal wildfires - which now seem to be an almost permanent fixture. Sacramento say would definitely be more affordable (and would have access to Lake Tahoe in winter?) albeit brutally hot in summer (but dry) but do remember it is on a flood plain - pick your location carefully.
The third time someone asks "what church do you attend?" - I'm packing up.
Or you can just attend church and tell them.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Cranberry44 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 pm Moved from Texas to Southern California largely for the weather. I count it amongst the best decisions I've ever made... being super close to the beach with great weather, and also being close to mountains, snow, and desert makes up for the traffic and VHCOL for me. An afternoon or evening at the beach washes away the dust of everyday life. :beer
Same here, all I need is short drive to the beach on a saturday and I don't need a vacation.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

WS1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 pm Luckily everyone here is rich enough to have multiple homes..or at least aggressively AirBnB
https://www.citylab.com/environment/20 ... ay/411406/
Or someone can live in San Diego year round and save a lot of miles :happy
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I did and I definitely do not, at all.

HOWEVER

My wife and I also focused on lifestyle as well as weather and I think the reason we are so happy with our choice is about 50/50. If we hadn't found such a great lifestyle and made so many close friends we wouldn't be nearly as happy with our choice even with the great weather.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
baritone

Post by baritone »

SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
Ooh, no. You could have a lot of fun with any number of answers.
I know a bunch of cool smart-aleck answers and have used them. Maybe that's why I have only 2 friends, one of whom is Jewish.
As for weather...I think I mentioned elsewhere that I lived in Houston till I was 40 and I'm not going back unless I'm in police custody.
baritone

Post by baritone »

Valuethinker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
Ooh, no. You could have a lot of fun with any number of answers.
Friend did his graduate work in Tuscaloosa AL.

About the 10th time he clocked onto "I am Greek Orthodox" (nominally his family is) and *they* did not have a church within driving distance (there was a mosque, a synagogue, an Hindu temple plus all the main Christian denominations).

It is, I think, the Southern version of friendliness. Somebody has to be saving your soul, and it's a way of connecting with people.

We had a wonderful piece of cake and coffee at an Episcopalian church, maybe in North Carolina, or Virginia. It is absolutely true that the Episcopalian/ Anglican church lives on coffee mornings, just as important a ritual as the Holy Communion ;-).
Sorry...I grew up in the middle of Texas Church Society and I don't think it's the "Southern version of friendliness"...more like "are you one of us or one of...them".
baritone

Post by baritone »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 pm
phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am I've lived in climates with hot, humid summers most of my life. 90+ degrees and high humidity for 5 straight months (May through September) is too much for me. Also, there's not really any respite it in the evenings or mornings. It may drop to 70 for a few hours (though there are many nights where the low is high 70s), but the humidity is brutal 24/7, and it's into the mid-80s (or higher) by 10 am.

Wife and I both work from home and can live anywhere. We're not tied to our current area in any meaningful social/schooling way. Other than the weather, we like our current area (good schools, medium cost of living, safe, convenient to get around, etc.) but don't think there's anything about it that we couldn't find elsewhere.

We're considering moving someplace that has milder summers. Stay east but try to get some elevation (Asheville)? Somewhere in the Mountain West that has less humidity and cooler evenings/mornings (Denver area)? Probably won't go to CA b/c it's too far from family and too expensive.
Beware culture shock. If you grew up in the American South and have always lived there, the lack of "neighborliness" of other places, the lack of apparent common courtesy, will probably be quite difficult for you. William Least Heat Moon, in his classic travel book Blue Highways, had some good points on that.

(to be clear, I am not American. I don't live in the USA. This is just what I have observed of Americans either in my travels (pretty much all in the north east - Boston down to Washington, New England, Midwest, some parts of the South) or meeting them outside the UK. More than one friend has found the "what church do you attend?" questions in the south to be disconcerting - no one in England would ever ask that question.)

Asheville or surrounding might be a good compromise. Several times people here have mentioned Tennessee (which also has some centres of medical excellence). Perhaps Pennsylvania - still hot summers (and worse winters) but a relatively small shift.
If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."

If I moved for better weather, would I quickly get used to it, and then kick myself for incurring the effort and expense of moving? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks for any input.
Oregon would be very different, but might be worth a try. Also that bit of WA state just over the border.

California probably has the perfect climate (coastal CA) ie hot and dry, but the cost is brutal. Also the air quality issues associated with seasonal wildfires - which now seem to be an almost permanent fixture. Sacramento say would definitely be more affordable (and would have access to Lake Tahoe in winter?) albeit brutally hot in summer (but dry) but do remember it is on a flood plain - pick your location carefully.
Nope, I'd have to get all dressed up.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

We didn't move for weather, but for work. I wanted to remain in the EU, but be closer to the Middle East, where I do most of my business. And we loved it here in the Mediterranean, so we didn't move back... :-) Friendly people, fantastic beaches, so many free activities (swimming in the sea, hiking, short drive to mountains, etc.), great food that is grown locally, fresh olive oil (!), good wine, decent local beer.

All of those things are fantastic. They key, however, is finding friends and building a social network in your new home. If you cannot do that, if you remain isolated, it will be very difficult, regardless of the weather or freshness of the locally produced olive oil.

Especially with Covid. We had planned to spend a lot of time back in our original home, where we still have an apartment (in Central Europe), and fly family members here to our warm island on occasion (grandma and grandpa, etc.) but Covid changed that. We have become more isolated. Fortunately, we have made local friends and that has saved us. Especially my wife. I have work, so I can more or less remain occupied. My wife has activities almost daily, and that has really helped: swimming in the sea with friends, biking, meet ups with other mothers after school (our older children are away, but we have a young daughter).

And while Covid has isolated us from family, on the bright side, we live in a very touristy island, and last season we had the beautiful beaches more or less to ourselves. This year is shaping up to be similar. So sad we cannot easily travel, but being stuck on a Mediterranean island has its advantages. Especially with so few tourists.

I love to cross-country ski, I love snow, but having a 6-month winter in Central Europe was just too depressing for us. Especially as we get older. Even the summers were hit or miss (sometimes great, other times non-existent). But without close friends in our new locale, living here, even with the wonderful weather, would not be possible. The internet is great, web calls help shrink borders, but you can never replace having true friends and family close by.

Note: I will say if you are thinking of moving to the Mediterranean, you should know that winters here are not that great. From typically mid December through mid April, it's cold and windy, lots of rain, just rather unpleasant. Not freezing cold with meters of snow like Central Europe, but still a challenge... You will need a fireplace in your home! But the other 8 months here are truly magical.
Asset Allocation: VT
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

So we moved from Southern California to Seattle and then back again four years later. Neither move was about the weather, there was a lot going on. But I’m sure enjoy being back where the sun shines. More importantly though, where my friends and family are.

An elderly neighbor of mine moved to Seattle last December to be close to her daughter, who had just moved to Seattle for work. I figured it would be fine, because the neighbor is a recluse who barely leaves her apartment. What’s a little rain for someone who never goes out? But I would be wrong. Both of them moved back here in March. Neither one of them managed to last through the whole winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder. That’s a real thing.

In truth, I was also more bothered by the lack of daylight in the winter in Seattle than I was by the weather. The weather was manageable. It being dark all the time....was not fun.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 am In truth, I was also more bothered by the lack of daylight in the winter in Seattle than I was by the weather. The weather was manageable. It being dark all the time....was not fun.
Great point. This is actually what bothered me the most about winters in Central Europe. Yes, it was cold, and yes, we had lots of snow. But that was fine. Again, I like to ski. The issue was the lack of sunlight. The clouds would roll in around November and leave around April/May. You could go months with almost no sunlight (unless you were on top of a mountain). It drove me crazy.
Asset Allocation: VT
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

phositadc wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 am If you moved for weather, did it live up to your expectations? Long term? I know very well that humans tend to get used to whatever situation they are in, and what seems like utopia for a week or two quickly becomes "the norm."
When I semi-retired in December 2019, I decided to move to the coastal PNW. Weather was my primary consideration.

I'm the kind of person that believes London is too sunny and dry.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

I grew up in the Seattle area and the grey really gets to you, after you escape to California. The lack of humidity, bugs, and the fact it cools down at night in the summer. Rain comes in bursts not a constant drip. Snow only comes to the mountains.

Santa Barbara to SLO are pretty temperature, although the fog can get to one. The lack of easy airport connections is a problem for me, as well.

Antigua Guatemala is known as a land of perpetual spring. 72 to 78 year round during the day. Mins of 53 to 62 year round.

The Cote d'Azur is pretty temperate, similar to the South Bay Area of California, with a little more humidity in the summer and a chance of a rare dusting of snow on the palm trees. Southern Spain is bit warmer year round.

Weatherspark.com is a great site to compare climate data.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

UHCOL Hawaii to L/MCOL Northern Arizona when retired.

Beaches ——-
Weather -
Culture (diversity/food/lifestyle/etc) ———-
Economics ++++
Finances ++++++
Congestion/Traffic/Density +++
Wide open quiet and vast peaceful spaces +++++
Country outdoor lifestyle and easy access to much of North America +++++++

There will always be compromises.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Haven't had that experience yet in my 3 years living in the Triangle area of NC. More likely to get asked which Tech company I work for or where I went to graduate school.

Edit to add: The question that I get asked often which actually does annoy me is when my wife and I are at a restaurant and they automatically ask if we want separate checks.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

baritone wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 pm

Nope, I'd have to get all dressed up.
Maybe in South Carolina. I’ve never seen people dressed so well as during Sunday morning in Charleston. Even 4 year olds had 3 piece suits.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Slacker wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:45 am

Haven't had that experience yet in my 3 years living in the Triangle area of NC. More likely to get asked which Tech company I work for or where I went to graduate school.

Edit to add: The question that I get asked often which actually does annoy me is when my wife and I are at a restaurant and they automatically ask if we want separate checks.
You should say yes 😀
wander

Post by wander »

hicabob wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:24 am
SwampDonkey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:26 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US.
I would suggest Monterey CA as having the best weather I've experienced. An amazing (small) city as well. But, it'll cost you...
Redwood City is perhaps even better climate than Monterey. I no longer live there but moved there a long time ago from Buffalo. Quite the difference.
Agree with hicabob and SwampDonkey, but, I moved out of California for lower housing cost and lower taxes and won't regret.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I have been wintering in better weather for many years now, and it has been completely wonderful.
It keeps me active and happy and alive in the winter, without missing my old friends for too long....it's nice to return when the flowers are popping out.

What is there to regret? But you need to find a community that you are comfortable with, where you fit in, that has what is important to you, and you can do the things you love to do (or failing the latter, start doing some new things).
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 am So we moved from Southern California to Seattle and then back again four years later. Neither move was about the weather, there was a lot going on. But I’m sure enjoy being back where the sun shines. More importantly though, where my friends and family are.

An elderly neighbor of mine moved to Seattle last December to be close to her daughter, who had just moved to Seattle for work. I figured it would be fine, because the neighbor is a recluse who barely leaves her apartment. What’s a little rain for someone who never goes out? But I would be wrong. Both of them moved back here in March. Neither one of them managed to last through the whole winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder. That’s a real thing.

In truth, I was also more bothered by the lack of daylight in the winter in Seattle than I was by the weather. The weather was manageable. It being dark all the time....was not fun.
Yeah, I kind of regret PNW as I'm not liking the weather here much. Grey, rainy and cold for months...then suddenly it's hot like summer lol.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Dad moved from UK to SF Bay Area 30 years ago, partly cos he hated the gray weather.
Best move ever. My family was in Scottsdale 10 days ago. Good time, but it was in the mid-90s 🔥🥵.
Really makes me appreciate bay area weather. Walking around midday in the 70s. Very few areas compare to Cali coastal weather imo. Love it enough, I'll likely always have a home here.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
politely

Post by politely »

Currently, I'm tied to my work location, but when I retire, I will move somewhere that is warmer year-round. Given the MN references in this thread, I'll just say that I've lived there for a time and I will never live there again because of the winters - despite the amazing amicability of the residents and the beauty of the state in the short weeks of spring and fall. Actually, based on that experience, I refuse to live anywhere where your nose hair can freeze simply from breathing outdoors for a few minutes. While I have a list of places, I find my choices are moving both eastward and northward due to the potential lack of water in the south-western states and the overall warming of the southern states. As noted by a few already, the best choice (for those that can swing it) may be multiple homes, with at least one for the winters and one for the summers.
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

delete
Last edited by Ciel on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US. The southeast is hot and humid in the summer and has a scary hurricane season. The northeast is cold and snowy in the winter. The midwest has both problems. The great plains have heat, cold, and nearly constant wind. The southwest, although not humid, gets really really hot in the summer. The northwest is too rainy and gloomy for much of the year. The western third of the country is plagued by drought, wildfires, and earthquakes. The best one can do is to pick your poison and endure it. I've lived my entire life in the mid-Atlantic states, and that seems to be the best compromise for me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it.
That is a brutal rendition of the nation’s weather from, self admittedly, a person who has only lived in one place their whole life.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Shallowpockets wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:19 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:04 am The perfect weather for me simply doesn't exist in the US. The southeast is hot and humid in the summer and has a scary hurricane season. The northeast is cold and snowy in the winter. The midwest has both problems. The great plains have heat, cold, and nearly constant wind. The southwest, although not humid, gets really really hot in the summer. The northwest is too rainy and gloomy for much of the year. The western third of the country is plagued by drought, wildfires, and earthquakes. The best one can do is to pick your poison and endure it. I've lived my entire life in the mid-Atlantic states, and that seems to be the best compromise for me, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it.
That is a brutal rendition of the nation’s weather from, self admittedly, a person who has only lived in one place their whole life.
That person has lived in one place but he was a road warrior for his 40 year career and has made frequent business trips to nearly every region of the country. Maybe jumping to unfounded conclusions is also brutal.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Retired In The Foothills Of The Mountains
Tennessee,
For Us
Almost perfect,
Weather wise
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

How many of these were you actually "plagued" by during your frequent road trips to the western third?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I came from Germany in 1968. Looking back, they have a beautiful weather compared to US extremes. I stayed in upstate NY since 1968 and find the weather here just right. Summers are not too hot and humid, winters are only 3 months of interrupted snow, town we live in has everything we need, there are great medical services, just right for a retiree. We never needed to move for the weather.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm
How many of these were you actually "plagued" by during your frequent road trips to the western third?
I saw the effects of drought (I was in that business), and I saw the damage from wildfires (I was in that business, too). I have never been in an earthquake in the US, but I have been in earthquakes in South America. What was the point of your question?
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm
So which country outside of the US has "perfect" weather?

I saw the effects of drought (I was in that business), and I saw the damage from wildfires (I was in that business, too). I have never been in an earthquake in the US, but I have been in earthquakes in South America. What was the point of your question?
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:45 pm
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Hysterical, melodramatic use of "plague." You make us sound like the Australian outback.

My answer: I was plagued once in 30 years, by the Northridge earthquake. Otherwise I don't even think I've been inconvenienced by any of the plagues you cited.
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 pm
investingfan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:45 pm

chw

Post by chw »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:03 am Hawaii > Northern Arizona

HCOL vs> LCOL ++++
City vs> Country +++++
Congestion, Traffic, Noise, Stress vs > Quiet > More free range cattle than people ++++
Golf Weather Year Round vs> 4 seasons -- + -- -- -- +
White sand beaches vs> Mountains and open range land - - - - - -
International / Hawaiian/Asian Tropical Island Culture vs ???? -- + -- + -- +
Fish and Poi / international authentic foods vs Steak n Potatoes - - - - -
City lifestyle (cramp) vs outdoor lifestyle +++++++++

When moving, there are more factors to consider than weather. . . :shock:

Do not regret the move as it was a long range plan.
DW is happy, very happy.
Do not regret the move.
DW is happy.
. . . . . .

"Auwe!". . "koʻu maikaʻi"! :shock:
j :happy

1 mile from where we used to live for many decades.(Kailua Beach, Oahu, HawaiiImage
I’ve been to that beach on vacation- one of the most beautiful spots on earth, and great community. It was hardly congested when I was there 20 years ago, but I guess things change... Kailua would be one of my top choices to live if money was no object, and being near family not an issue (we live on the east coast).
jpjr

Post by jpjr »

Rus In Urbe wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am *
We moved because of a job opening, but landed in Syracuse. Upstate NY gets a lot of negative press (we have a great deal of snow, which we happen to love, snowshoeing is terrific) and people complain about high taxes (but enjoy great roads and services). We love the climate here---springs are glorious, summers are long and green and 70s, autumns are colorful and mild. As the climate changes, we may experience more of this and shorter (but more significantly snowy months, which would suit us fine). Best of all, housing is dirt cheap, national and state parks abound, people are extremely friendly, lots of culture, and this is a hub for health care with five hospital centers locally. There are a lot of factors to your choice of residence besides weather, but we can't bear heat so this works for us. We are gardeners too, so we spend all months but winter outside...

Good luck in finding your Eden! Rus. :beer
We moved from Long Island to Syracuse for a job opportunity as well, when we were young . Our contemporaries asked if we knew there were cows in the area and what the heck were we doing? Thirty years or so later, after the kids graduated from college, we decided we did have enough of the long winters and moved to the "golden corner of South Carolina. We chose this area because it had so many of the wonderful attributes that Syracuse offered. We have four seasons - maybe 2" of snow a year :D , and since we are in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, we are not subjected to the worst of the heat and humidity. We are close to Clemson (aka our bitter Orangemen rival), and have lakes and mountains galore to explore. We do not regret the move. However, I echo the sentiments that Syracuse is a much maligned place that deserves a better review. The Spring and Summer seasons in upstate NY are fantastic. You cannot find a more beautiful area than the Finger Lakes, and the Adirondacks are just an hour away. The Fall offers crisp evenings and beautiful foliage that rivals any. To each his own, but we enjoyed our time in upstate NY and while we do not regret moving, it was time for us to put away the snow blower.
lasp506

Post by lasp506 »

I read threads like this January to February, but somehow forget it starting late March or April.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am UHCOL Hawaii to L/MCOL Northern Arizona when retired.

Beaches ——-
Weather -
Economics ++++
Finances ++++++

j🌺
Indeed. And funny, though I’ve been back to Hawai’i several times since I lived there in the early aughts, I never thought about moving back until my last visit. It’s back on my “maybe” retirement list, if I can figure out housing (and stomach the high marginal tax rates). Logic favors me staying put in the NoVa burbs where I’ve managed to carve out a very nice life in a lower cost section of a VHCOL area - best of both worlds, in some ways. But it’s not all about logic. Logic tells me I should stay put for at least a year after retirement to see if the lack of work stress changes my viewpoint.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

chazas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:35 am
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am UHCOL Hawaii to L/MCOL Northern Arizona when retired.

Beaches ——-
Weather -
Economics ++++
Finances ++++++

j🌺
Indeed. And funny, though I’ve been back to Hawai’i several times since I lived there in the early aughts, I never thought about moving back until my last visit. It’s back on my “maybe” retirement list, if I can figure out housing (and stomach the high marginal tax rates). Logic favors me staying put in the NoVa burbs where I’ve managed to carve out a very nice life in a lower cost section of a VHCOL area - best of both worlds, in some ways. But it’s not all about logic. Logic tells me I should stay put for at least a year after retirement to see if the lack of work stress changes my viewpoint.
Yes.
All the more if there are others to consider, and, if family, those considerations might weigh heavier than one's own.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 pm
Hysterical, melodramatic use of "plague." You make us sound like the Australian outback.

My answer: I was plagued once in 30 years, by the Northridge earthquake. Otherwise I don't even think I've been inconvenienced by any of the plagues you cited.
Hmm. I went through some minor earthquakes with no great concern, but I had several summers in west coast states when my quality of life was compromised by forest fires (and two summers where we packed the car for a quick departure because of fire threat). I don’t know where the cutoff is for “plagued,” but we considered that to be a meaningful negative.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

I didn’t move for the weather
But I’m in the Bay Area and currently having work done on my house. Just yesterday I was thinking how nice it is that I can work comfortably in my backyard in in sunny 60 degree January while they work in the home

Of course on the other side the state catches on fire a few times of year and we have no water…
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

EddyB wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:46 pm

Hmm. I went through some minor earthquakes with no great concern, but I had several summers in west coast states when my quality of life was compromised by forest fires (and two summers where we packed the car for a quick departure because of fire threat). I don’t know where the cutoff is for “plagued,” but we considered that to be a meaningful negative.
As someone who grew up a handful of miles from a fault line, I really have little concern for earthquakes as well. I don't recall forest fires being a serious issue either, but I left in 2005. So many reasons I would never move back to California, but those two aren't on the list for me.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

I live outside of Asheville about 4000 elevation and love it (Highly recommend the area and higher elevation). I would recommend looking outside of Asheville proper, one it can get hot/humid in Asheville. Second the living conditions in Asheville have deteriorated considerable in the last couple of years.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:54 am
As someone who grew up a handful of miles from a fault line, I really have little concern for earthquakes as well. I don't recall forest fires being a serious issue either, but I left in 2005. So many reasons I would never move back to California, but those two aren't on the list for me.
Earthquakes are great because you don't worry about them. They happen when they happen. You spend a couple hours when you move strapping all your furniture to the walls and then get on living. They aren't like hurricanes or winter storms where you get a week of fear and doom broadcast to you. Tornado's are rough with the constant phone alerts about sightings.

These discussions always come down to what bothers you. People say places like knoxville are great. And they are except for the heat and humidity in the summer, and allegens in the air which limit breathing.:) You need to pick what downsides you can live with and go with it.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

OP, your last sentence stands out to me. There is no research to indicate that the weather affects someone's happiness. The things you wrote about summer is often echoed by people who live in cold climates (OMG I can't take the cold). Everything has a tradeoff. You list Denver as an option, so in exchange for brutal summers, you'd have brutal winters of temperatures well below freezing and often snow on the ground for a month or more at a time.

I live in Ohio - I don't mind it (but 5 degrees at the bus stop this morning was rough). Summers can be nasty, but not deep Texas nasty - I enjoy lots of outdoor sports, but soccer and football in hot climate places? Rough.

If someone says, "I love to ski" or "I love to hike" or "I love to surf", I think it can make sense to move for access. I know some people who wake up and hike every day - it makes sense. But simply moving for weather probably leaves you with regret unless you really love cold weather - because you don't want to post the opposite: "OMG, I moved to Denver and I simply cannot handle November thru March.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Wricha wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 am

I live outside of Asheville about 4000 elevation and love it (Highly recommend the area and higher elevation). I would recommend looking outside of Asheville proper, one it can get hot/humid in Asheville. Second the living conditions in Asheville have deteriorated considerable in the last couple of years.
We like Blue Ridge mountain area. A lot of out door activities there. Which area are you referring to? How much of median cost of house over there?

We also consider Alpharetta and northern Georgia area.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:22 am

OP, your last sentence stands out to me. There is no research to indicate that the weather affects someone's happiness. The things you wrote about summer is often echoed by people who live in cold climates (OMG I can't take the cold). Everything has a tradeoff. You list Denver as an option, so in exchange for brutal summers, you'd have brutal winters of temperatures well below freezing and often snow on the ground for a month or more at a time.

I live in Ohio - I don't mind it (but 5 degrees at the bus stop this morning was rough). Summers can be nasty, but not deep Texas nasty - I enjoy lots of outdoor sports, but soccer and football in hot climate places? Rough.

If someone says, "I love to ski" or "I love to hike" or "I love to surf", I think it can make sense to move for access. I know some people who wake up and hike every day - it makes sense. But simply moving for weather probably leaves you with regret unless you really love cold weather - because you don't want to post the opposite: "OMG, I moved to Denver and I simply cannot handle November thru March.

I probably shouldn't share this because the metro area is becoming overcrowded but.... There is definitely not snow on the ground in Denver from November through March. March is historically our snowiest month. However year we received no snow in March. We can receive snow in September or in May. But it typically is not on the ground very long and certainly not for weeks or months at a time. Substitute Minneapolis for Denver in your post and you're probably more accurate.
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

Five years ago, we moved from the Boston area where we lived for 35 years to northeastern Florida. I don't miss New England Winters one bit. Summers here are hot and humid so you plan your daily activities accordingly. This is all offset by being 5 miles from the beach and a 12 month driving and golf season. Did I mention we don't miss Winter at all?

No regrats :).