Page 15 of 22

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm
by agbp
Today is National Bird Day (#nationalbirdday on Twitter):
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nationa ... head_click

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:52 pm
by Dottie57
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:58 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:41 am
Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:54 pm I nominate this thread - "Bird watchers - what birds are you seeing?" - as The Thread Of The Year :happy

This delightful thread with its gorgeous photos of birds, many taken by Bogleheads, has been the most uplifting respite during this weary year.

Thank you, JAZZISCOOL, for not only beginning this thread, but keeping it lively and educational the year long. 8-)

Image

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams . . . So shines a good deed in a weary world."
-- Willie Wonka

:sharebeer
Miriam2:

How kind! The real credit goes to birds and our wild world in general especially during the challenging world of 2020 and to all of the other BH's who post with their sightings, photos, etc.

Here's a toast to the birds!

:beer
Agree with Miriam2. This is THE thread I am most excited to see new posts in. Thank you to all who contributed.
That's one great thing about wild birds - you never know what you're going to see! Even the usual suspects are fun to watch, though, IMO. I also like to learn about other birds in other parts of the US.

Miriam2's Snoopy and Woodstock photo made me wonder what species Woodstock is? Anyway, they are cute BFF's. :happy

"Woodstock is a bird who is Snoopy's best friend. The only non-bird character who can understand Woodstock's speech is Snoopy."
There is a book on Sparrows on Amazon I think I will purchase. I love watching sparrows at the bird feeder. They remind me a bit of Woodstock.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
agbp wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 pm Today is National Bird Day (#nationalbirdday on Twitter):
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nationa ... head_click
Cool birds!

From: @st_hogan (Twitter)

1) Rockhopper Penguin
2) Hoatzin
3) Potoo
4) Blue Jay

I wasn't familiar with 3 of the 4. I found this video of the Potoo - a nocturnal bird that is very interesting looking (eyes remind me of a reptile):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKCsV3UbJo

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:19 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
For the Snoopy and Woodstock lovers, Peanuts' Twitter feed (@Snoopy) has a cute post today for National Bird day:

https://twitter.com/Snoopy

Snoopy says to Woodstock ("the best little yellow bird"):

"You were put here on earth to sing your bird songs and help make the world beautiful..."

:happy

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 pm
by jebmke
My spouse and I went to Ocean City, MD with two other birders to look for a King Eider, which we did not find. But we did see a Red-billed Tropicbird - which may be a first in Maryland.

companion got this shot
Image

Here is a clearer picture of the bird from the Audubon site.

Image

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pm
by StevieG72
Had a small grey bird take up residence on my porch. No nest, just would come in the evening and sleep on the top of shutter of the porch window. After a few nights another bird joined. I enjoyed seeing them, unfortunately I had my siding replaced and the birds relocated.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 pm
by agbp
jebmke wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:22 pm My spouse and I went to Ocean City, MD with two other birders to look for a King Eider, which we did not find. But we did see a Red-billed Tropicbird - which may be a first in Maryland.

companion got this shot
Image

Here is a clearer picture of the bird from the Audubon site.

Image
Spectacular bird!

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm
by Fallible
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:19 pm For the Snoopy and Woodstock lovers, Peanuts' Twitter feed (@Snoopy) has a cute post today for National Bird day:

https://twitter.com/Snoopy

Snoopy says to Woodstock ("the best little yellow bird"):

"You were put here on earth to sing your bird songs and help make the world beautiful..." ...
Thanks! And I love Woodstock's simple response: "♫"

(First time I've ever quoted a musical note.)

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
Fallible wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:19 pm For the Snoopy and Woodstock lovers, Peanuts' Twitter feed (@Snoopy) has a cute post today for National Bird day:

https://twitter.com/Snoopy

Snoopy says to Woodstock ("the best little yellow bird"):

"You were put here on earth to sing your bird songs and help make the world beautiful..." ...
Thanks! And I love Woodstock's simple response: "♫"

(First time I've ever quoted a musical note.)
Yes, that was priceless! :happy

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm
by Oreamnos
agbp wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/
What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy

Kestrels are cool little aggressors. A birdwatching employee caught this a while back (Portland, OR area):

Image

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 pm
by agbp
Oreamnos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm
agbp wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/
What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy

Kestrels are cool little aggressors. A birdwatching employee caught this a while back (Portland, OR area):

Image
That's an amazing photo! They are beautiful creatures. The rodent might disagree.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:16 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
agbp wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Oreamnos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm
agbp wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/
What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy

Kestrels are cool little aggressors. A birdwatching employee caught this a while back (Portland, OR area):

Image
That's an amazing photo! They are beautiful creatures. The rodent might disagree.
Great photo! The "circle of life" as they say....

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 am
by GG1273
Bald Eagle was in yard on Tuesday, hung out for a little while as a Red Tail Hawk circled overhead

Kestrels - very cool, 2 females have been in the Great Swamp (NJ) last few weeks and got a few good photos of Cooper's Hawk that has been around. For Kestrel's Orange wing feathers are the female (in the photo) - males have orange and slate blue wing feathers.
We have a Cooper's in our neighborhood as well - loves chasing the sparrows. We watched the adults teaching the youngster's how to hunt in September.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 pm
by GG1273
Group of 14 Hooded Mergansers on the lake I walk around for exercise

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
GG1273 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 pm Group of 14 Hooded Mergansers on the lake I walk around for exercise
Cool looking ducks!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hooded_Merganser/

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:08 pm
by GG1273
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 pm
GG1273 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:07 pm Group of 14 Hooded Mergansers on the lake I walk around for exercise
Cool looking ducks!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hooded_Merganser/
They are diving ducks so they hop out of the water like a dolphin then dive in search of food. Common Mergansers are green and white with a very orange bill - they'll be around in the spring / summer.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Merganser/id

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm
by GG1273
Had a fly over group of Snow Geese this morning, about 40 feet off the ground

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snow_Goose/overview

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am
by GG1273
Carolina Wren was singing on our deck in NJ this morning - a lot of voice for a small bird.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/id

Heard but not seen: Great Horned Owl in the woods behind the house last night

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:58 am
by agbp
GG1273 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am Carolina Wren was singing on our deck in NJ this morning - a lot of voice for a small bird.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/id

Heard but not seen: Great Horned Owl in the woods behind the house last night
Our Carolina Wrens can be pretty deafening when I am wearing my hearing aids. I have to turn down the volume.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:06 am
by JAZZISCOOL
GG1273 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am Carolina Wren was singing on our deck in NJ this morning - a lot of voice for a small bird.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/id

Heard but not seen: Great Horned Owl in the woods behind the house last night
The Carolina Wren has a pretty song! The Cornell website has so much great information on birds. :happy

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:10 am
by mushripu
I saw a brilliant red cardinal against the wintry leafless tree branches background. It flew away before i managed to extract phone and take a picture.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am
by GG1273
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:06 am
GG1273 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am Carolina Wren was singing on our deck in NJ this morning - a lot of voice for a small bird.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/id

Heard but not seen: Great Horned Owl in the woods behind the house last night
The Carolina Wren has a pretty song! The Cornell website has so much great information on birds. :happy

Historically, the Wren's song was translated as Tea Kettle, tea kettle, tea kettle
Sounds a lot like cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger to me - and the kids remember it better than something they don't encounter much anymore (kettles)

Cornell site is great
If you want to check out what other people are seeing EBird for your area is a good resource and also related to Cornell.
NJ's Ebird is by county.
:sharebeer

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:30 am
by GG1273
mushripu wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:10 am I saw a brilliant red cardinal against the wintry leafless tree branches background. It flew away before i managed to extract phone and take a picture.
Beautiful birds - very territorial (with other Cardinals). They usually start singing about a month or so before first day of spring.
We've had them nest in our yard a few times. The parents always look completely exhausted.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:03 pm
by minesweep
Oreamnos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:24 pm
agbp wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm I've had 2 separate sightings of the American Kestrel, the smallest falcon:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Kestrel/
What a handsome fellow!

From your link, a charming scene:
"When nature calls, nestling kestrels back up, raise their tails, and squirt feces onto the walls of the nest cavity. The feces dry on the cavity walls and stay off the nestlings. The nest gets to be a smelly place, with feces on the walls and uneaten parts of small animals on the floor."
:happy

Kestrels are cool little aggressors. A birdwatching employee caught this a while back (Portland, OR area):

Image
I saw a kestrel a week ago in my Japanese red maple tree near my bird feeders (eastern PA) at dusk (5:15 P.M.). I haven't seen a kestrel in a long time. The birds headed for cover in my yews. I went out and chased it. I should have taken a picture. :(

I have hanging feeders with black oil sunflower seed, safflower seed, and peanuts. Just before dusk (when any squirrels are gone) I put bird feed (a mixture including sunflower seed, millet, corn, safflower seed & peanuts) on a hard surface on the ground for those surface feeders (juncos, ground sparrows & cardinals).

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:24 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
GG1273 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:06 am
GG1273 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am Carolina Wren was singing on our deck in NJ this morning - a lot of voice for a small bird.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Carolina_Wren/id

Heard but not seen: Great Horned Owl in the woods behind the house last night
The Carolina Wren has a pretty song! The Cornell website has so much great information on birds. :happy

Historically, the Wren's song was translated as Tea Kettle, tea kettle, tea kettle
Sounds a lot like cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger to me - and the kids remember it better than something they don't encounter much anymore (kettles)

Cornell site is great
If you want to check out what other people are seeing EBird for your area is a good resource and also related to Cornell.
NJ's Ebird is by county.
:sharebeer
Well, I LOVE my whistling tea kettle. Boiling water makes better tea vs. the microwave. :D

Yes, I have both Merlin and eBird apps on my phone but need to spend more time with eBird. :beer

Audubon also has an app but I haven't spent much time exploring it yet. I'm sure there are other new ones out there as well.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:02 pm
by Hubris
New Yard Bird a couple of days ago: Northern Shrike!
60th species since April

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 pm
by Hubris
And a short trip into the nearby cemetery in town today to see both Red Crossbills and White-winged Crossbills was successful.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:52 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
Hubris wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 pm And a short trip into the nearby cemetery in town today to see both Red Crossbills and White-winged Crossbills was successful.
Cool! A cemetery must be a great place (especially urban) for birds to nest, etc. Many of them have so many mature trees.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:26 pm
by MikeWillRetire
Being a Maryland resident for 48 years, I have never seen our state bird...the Baltimore Oriole. So this year I bought an Oriole feeder.
https://kmwoodworking.com/collections/o ... uit-feeder
I understand that they should be in the Maryland area in early April, and I will have oranges on the ready!. If any fellow Marylanders have any advice, I would appreciate it.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm
by Dottie57
Hubris wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:57 pm And a short trip into the nearby cemetery in town today to see both Red Crossbills and White-winged Crossbills was successful.
Last time I visited the Cemetery (Nov 2020), i saw wild turkeys. I like the cemetery you visited better.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:52 pm
by aerofreaky11
Southern Vermont. I was about 5 feet from a bald eagle. It was along side me as I was driving at around 35 and it came in the lane next to me to swoop up a piece of road kill. I was in disbelief! It was huge, beautiful and the break was fascinating (color.)

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 pm
by GG1273
MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:26 pm Being a Maryland resident for 48 years, I have never seen our state bird...the Baltimore Oriole. So this year I bought an Oriole feeder.
https://kmwoodworking.com/collections/o ... uit-feeder
I understand that they should be in the Maryland area in early April, and I will have oranges on the ready!. If any fellow Marylanders have any advice, I would appreciate it.
You should have luck with the feeder. They tend to stay high in tall trees and are slow flyers - easy to spot when moving from tree to tree.

Best to learn their song - you should have them in late April / early May - our trees have a bunch in mid-May, all signing and it is a distinctive sound.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bal ... e/overview
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bal ... e/overview

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:04 pm
by mike@jb
I have a good picture, but haven’t yet figured out posting pictures here...
Ten brown pelicans and a dozen cormorants sitting on an old pier on the Gulf.
Will try again tomorrow to post.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:10 pm
by F150HD
Ran across this the other day....

Noise pollution causes chronic stress in birds, with health consequences for young

Nestlings in the noisiest environments had smaller body sizes and reduced feather development, potentially diminishing their odds of survival. Hatching rates in western bluebirds – the most noise-tolerant species studied – dropped in response to noise.

see many discussions online IRT leafblowers etc and human made noise in neighborhoods. Interesting the effect it can have on wildlife in your yard.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 am
by KneePartsPro
Sorry, no pictures but we have been watching some of the most brilliantly red Cardinals (possibly an exaggeration since everything else is so dead and gray looking outside right now) as well as one annoying little "Hairy Woodpecker" which seems to like tapping on the metal corner on our siding. Kind of wish he or she had gone south for the winter!

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:37 pm
by mike@jb
Fishing time at the pier...
Image

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm
by pomomojo
Image
Image

I spent the early evening taking pictures of Northern Harriers hunting in the fading light. I was really pushing my camera (Iso 4000), so the images were not always super sharp. We later had the chance to watch a pair of short eared owls in the twilight. No pics due to near dark conditions.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:08 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
pomomojo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm Image
Image

I spent the early evening taking pictures of Northern Harriers hunting in the fading light. I was really pushing my camera (Iso 4000), so the images were not always super sharp. We later had the chance to watch a pair of short eared owls in the twilight. No pics due to near dark conditions.
Great photos (also of the pelicans above)!

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:21 pm
by Miriam2
pomomojo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm Image
Image

I spent the early evening taking pictures of Northern Harriers hunting in the fading light. I was really pushing my camera (Iso 4000), so the images were not always super sharp. We later had the chance to watch a pair of short eared owls in the twilight. No pics due to near dark conditions.
Oh my! Look at the detail you captured of the top photo's bird's wings and wing feathers - tips up! Fabulous photos :happy

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 am
by livesoft
Yesterday I came across this winter visitor that didn't make it.
Yellow-bellied sapsucker.

Image

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am
by GG1273
Thanks for posting the Northern Harrier pictures - very cool bird. They hover over possible prey then drop to the ground to catch. Saw a male (they are termed Gray Ghosts) catch a Black Rat Snake last spring and fly off with it.

This morning's WFH walk up the street yielded a Brown Creeper. They start at base of tree and work their way up in search of food. When they get higher in that tree, they fly down to a nearby tree and start over again.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Creeper/id

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 am
by jebmke
MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:26 pm Being a Maryland resident for 48 years, I have never seen our state bird...the Baltimore Oriole. So this year I bought an Oriole feeder.
https://kmwoodworking.com/collections/o ... uit-feeder
I understand that they should be in the Maryland area in early April, and I will have oranges on the ready!. If any fellow Marylanders have any advice, I would appreciate it.
Depending on where you live they can show up in early April - early May.

You can see many of them at Susquehanna State Park if that is accessible to you.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am
by pomomojo
I returned to the same field the following evening. Fewer people since it was a regular work day instead of MLK.
I was in luck and was able to observe a very active short-eared owl.

Image


Image


Image

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:18 am
by TxAg
^^^ love those owl shots!

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:33 am
by livesoft
Yep, those owl pics are outstanding: They have eyes, pop, and action. Simply superb! They have to be even more outstanding in their original resolution.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:22 pm
by JAZZISCOOL
TxAg wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:18 am ^^^ love those owl shots!
+1

Awesome shots! I always think of owls as being more nocturnal but sometimes dusk and dawn. :happy

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:31 pm
by Oreamnos
pomomojo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am I returned to the same field the following evening. Fewer people since it was a regular work day instead of MLK.
I was in luck and was able to observe a very active short-eared owl.
Strong work! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful.

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:35 pm
by Sandtrap
pomomojo wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am I returned to the same field the following evening. Fewer people since it was a regular work day instead of MLK.
I was in luck and was able to observe a very active short-eared owl.

Image


Image


Image
Beautiful!

Camera?
Lens?

j :D

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:22 pm
by pomomojo
livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 am Yesterday I came across this winter visitor that didn't make it.
Yellow-bellied sapsucker.

Image
Poor woodpecker. My wife is fond of those birds. They always look a bit shaggy in my opinion. We host a pair of Downys in our backyard.

FWIW, my pics are taken with a Sony A7 RIV and 200-600mm at f6.3. I'm itching to buy a 400 or 600mm prime though the $$$ increase is a bit painful

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:44 pm
by BrightEyes
I've got a pair of Downy Woodpeckers and a pair of Red-Bellied Woodpeckers that come to my feeders/ live in around my yard. And tap on my siding/windows on occasion! Unfortunately, I don't have the photography skills that some of you do. I really enjoy your great pictures!
Other daily visitors include cardinals (over 20 at a time some days last winter; the numbers seemed to drop over the summer, but I'm seeing them more as it gets colder... or as the trees have gotten bare...); goldfinches (so many this year! I counted over 20 goldfinches on deck and feeders, then something startled all the birds, and it looked like about as many again rising from the yard below, as all the birds on deck and yard raced for the safety of the trees!); blue jays, house finches and purple finches, Carolina wrens, chickadees, a few juncos. We've had white-breasted nuthatches since I started feeding, I think, and this winter a pair of red-breasted nuthatches have started visiting. They are tiny but bold, and will even visit the feeders while I'm on the deck filling the tube feeders, after laying the peanuts and such on the deck rails. Those peanuts are apparently hard to resist!

Bright Eyes