Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Some great bird photos:

The 2021 Audubon Photography Awards: Winners and Honorable Mentions

The Sandhill Crane with chick is probably my favorite! :happy

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/summer ... inners-and
agbp

Post by agbp »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:57 pm Some great bird photos:

Thanks! DH and I enjoyed looking at these. I like having the commentary along with the photos.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNsM1ZZntc

Barnegat light, NJ

chicks big and ready to fledge...

another example of this nest doesn't have any EXTRAs like Dahlgren had ;-)
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Great video!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Great Horned Owl wandered the back yard at dusk last night looking for victims. Mockingbirds eventually drove him off. Probably a first year bird again - they take a while learning how to hunt at night. They are regulars in the back yard starting in July most years.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbgZiEKtjA

this is a video of banding the Barnegat Light chicks....
Interesting they are basically playing DEAD !!!!!!

And they get a treat at the end ;-)
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Wanted to report that for the past 10 days or so has seen overnight temps slightly below normal here in North Louisiana, in the low 70s. Usually, early morning temps by this time of the year stay in the mid to high 70s with oppressive humidity. Consequently, we have heard Chuck-will's-widow (Antrostomus carolinensis) calls for several of those days. I cannot recall ever hearing those birds calling this late into summer.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Great Horned Owl showed up again yesterday evening. The Mockingbirds don't seem to intimidate him. Has been showing up pretty much every evening about 7:30. Two Green Herons flew out of the marsh this morning so the nesting pair is still here. Bluebirds starting to hatch in the front house.
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

I live on a slough off of the SF Bay, and there is a walking/biking trail along the water's edge. Yesterday while walking the trail, I saw a Great Egret, some Snowy Egrets, a Cormorant, and some birds that I had never seen before, but I thought might be different types of kingfisher. After some googling, however, it turns out that these birds were a Green Heron and two Black-Crowned Night Herons. Oh, and I also saw some Sandpipers. (Plus the usual seagulls and Canada geese.)
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bird-watching vicariously through a relative who is in S. Carolina & texting photos: big white heron and many brown pelicans :beer
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:41 pm Bird-watching vicariously through a relative who is in S. Carolina & texting photos: big white heron and many brown pelicans :beer
Same here with this topic. And avoiding all of the heat, humidity, and bugs. :sharebeer
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

dratkinson wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:45 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:41 pm Bird-watching vicariously through a relative who is in S. Carolina & texting photos: big white heron and many brown pelicans :beer
Same here with this topic. And avoiding all of the heat, humidity, and bugs. :sharebeer
LOL :beer

Although I saw a little Sandpiper yesterday that was so cute and lots of hummingbirds at my feeder.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Seeing a lot of Ruby-throated hummingbirds at our feeder. Juvenile male and females. Not at the same time :-). They are possessive. Yesterday they let me get within 10 to 12 feet of the feeder with the camera for some close shots. I'd inch a bit closer whenever they got distracted by fussing over feeder access....

Couple of days ago watched a Green Heron hunting at a nearby lake/marshy area. He snatched a dragonfly or two out of the air.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TN_Boy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 am Seeing a lot of Ruby-throated hummingbirds at our feeder. Juvenile male and females. Not at the same time :-). They are possessive. Yesterday they let me get within 10 to 12 feet of the feeder with the camera for some close shots. I'd inch a bit closer whenever they got distracted by fussing over feeder access....

Couple of days ago watched a Green Heron hunting at a nearby lake/marshy area. He snatched a dragonfly or two out of the air.
Nice! I believe I mostly get Broad-tailed Hummingbirds and recently mostly females or immature males without the red throat. I was within 3 feet of one this morning. :happy Usually only one at a time is feeding.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thank you so much. I love the Sandhill Crane picture too. Sent the link to friends.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I'm a complete tyro in this area and have just slightly gotten the bug by having some luck with bluebird and hummingbird watching. I was finally able to place a bluebird house in a favorable area where a pair and brood thrived. I started with hummingbird feeders a few years ago, and this year (after ironically needing a large tree cut down), I planted a large garden of hummingbird attracting wildflowers.

Finally, after a painfully slow start, the flowers took off and yesterday and today the garden is swarming with hummingbirds naturally feeding. I am pleased beyond belief and just love watching them dart back and forth among the different flowers.

I live in a city, yet a bald eagle moved in nearby. Looks like I'm going to have to move up my birdwatching game and learn a lot more as I now have the time being recently retired.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just hatched 4 Bluebird chicks in each of two boxes - one in front one in back. After a slow start, it could be a bumper crop this year assuming nobody gets to the chicks before they fledge. That will put us at a total of 13 fledged BBs.

Egrets are starting to organize. Late in the summer they start appearing in the creek in numbers. Usually only one most of the time but yesterday we had 4. One year we had 13 at once in late summer. They start to "flock" where there is lots of food to tank up before heading south in the fall.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

Fabulous pictures this year and in all the earlier years at the bottom of the page. Thank you for sharing.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:33 am Just hatched 4 Bluebird chicks in each of two boxes - one in front one in back. After a slow start, it could be a bumper crop this year assuming nobody gets to the chicks before they fledge. That will put us at a total of 13 fledged BBs.

Egrets are starting to organize. Late in the summer they start appearing in the creek in numbers. Usually only one most of the time but yesterday we had 4. One year we had 13 at once in late summer. They start to "flock" where there is lots of food to tank up before heading south in the fall.
Cool! Looking forward to updates on the BB chicks and egrets. :beer
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:26 am
TN_Boy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 am Seeing a lot of Ruby-throated hummingbirds at our feeder. Juvenile male and females. Not at the same time :-). They are possessive. Yesterday they let me get within 10 to 12 feet of the feeder with the camera for some close shots. I'd inch a bit closer whenever they got distracted by fussing over feeder access....

Nice! I believe I mostly get Broad-tailed Hummingbirds and recently mostly females or immature males without the red throat. I was within 3 feet of one this morning. :happy Usually only one at a time is feeding.
Three feet is awesome. They are so small, you have to be close to appreciate! In my part of the country, the only hummingbird we get is the Ruby-throated.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Two Eastern Bluebird nest boxes with chicks. Hatched about the same time one week ago. Here is the "front row" -- the box in the front yard -- looks like they are asleep to me. Have seen adults regularly doing food runs to the "back row" so I know they are about on the same timetable. Typical fledge timetable is 16-21 days from hatch so we have a ways to go.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^jebmke:

Thanks for posting the photo of the adorable Eastern Bluebird chicks! :happy
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am Two Eastern Bluebird nest boxes with chicks. Hatched about the same time one week ago. Here is the "front row" -- the box in the front yard -- looks like they are asleep to me. Have seen adults regularly doing food runs to the "back row" so I know they are about on the same timetable. Typical fledge timetable is 16-21 days from hatch so we have a ways to go.
Nice! I told ya'll I'm new to this so I wasn't paying good attention. We had a bluebird brood in April-May this year and thought it was over. A few weeks ago, I noticed a lot of activity at the box and was wondering why?

Second brood!

jebmke got me outside to watch a while, and although I didn't open the box, I can hear the chirping ruckus as the parents are coming back to feed the brood! It is a lot of fun watching this activity.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Anyone try the Merline Bird ID app from Cornell. This columnist in the NY Times says that it has a high degree of accuracy.

Last month, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology released an updated version of its Merlin Bird ID app, which allows users to identify birds by song. There are other voice-recognition apps for birds, but they are accurate barely 50 percent of the time. Though Merlin doesn’t claim to be 100 percent accurate, it comes very close.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/opin ... d-app.html

Although she reports that it only covers N. America, in fact, when you download the app you see that there are bird packages for many countries. Not including Thailand yet, but probably in the future.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Songbirds are mysteriously dying across the eastern U.S. Scientists are scrambling to find out why

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/07 ... g-find-out

sounds like this is spreading, saw a local newscast on this today. Some folks taking down their feeders as a result.

(Was news to me anyway, been busy so not always on top of every news story or post here)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

cbeck wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm Anyone try the Merline Bird ID app from Cornell. This columnist in the NY Times says that it has a high degree of accuracy.

Last month, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology released an updated version of its Merlin Bird ID app, which allows users to identify birds by song. There are other voice-recognition apps for birds, but they are accurate barely 50 percent of the time. Though Merlin doesn’t claim to be 100 percent accurate, it comes very close.

Although she reports that it only covers N. America, in fact, when you download the app you see that there are bird packages for many countries. Not including Thailand yet, but probably in the future.
funny, I just downloaded the app the other day but my phone has no memory for the add on packages. Getting new phone shortly so plan to install it.

I did have it pop up online once which was useful (on laptop), but it seems now you can only use the phone 'app' and I cannot locate it online (which would be preferable at times)
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

This guy was just sitting outside the house the other day.

I don't have too many bird photos lately, as our butterfly raising/fostering activity has become busier than anticipated...

Tubes

Post by Tubes »

There's a place in this world. What would we do without the janitors of nature? It is a beautiful specimen, as far as turkey vultures go. :happy
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Hummingbirds are making an appearance now. Expecting more once the Cardinal Vine starts to bloom. They seem to really love the plant:

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/article ... a-sloteri/
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

For the first time ever, I grew a wildflower patch this year, after more sun was available to me after a tree was removed.

I planted a mix that promised to attract hummingbirds and pollinators. The mix grew very slowly compared to other mixes I see people plant.

To my dismay, I didn't get a lot of trumpet or bell shaped flowers like the referenced cardinal vine. But it shows you what I know. Even though the mix has small, stubby flowers, the birds visit them frequently and love them. I'm super pleased.
Last edited by Tubes on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

cbeck wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm Anyone try the Merline Bird ID app from Cornell. This columnist in the NY Times says that it has a high degree of accuracy.

I tried it the other day with a close test subject: Black-capped Chickadee and it worked quickly! Fun stuff.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Tubes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 am For the first time ever, I grew a wildflower patch this year, after more sun was available to me after a tree was removed.

I planted a mix that promised to attract hummingbirds and pollinators. The mix grew very slowly compared to other mixes I see people plant.

To my dismay, I didn't get a lot of trumpet or bell shaped flowers like the referenced cardinal vine. But it shows you what I know. Even though the mix has small, stubby flowers, the birds visit them frequently and love them. I'm super pleased.
Sometimes it's better just to let it go natural and see what thrives. Googling "rain garden" and your area may result in information regarding native plants which should in turn attract native birds. A soil test through the extension service is always helpful.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

delete
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Trip today to Bombay Hook, DE. A lot of the usual suspects -- Egrets, herons, Dowitchers, Avocets, Sandpipers, Plovers, Yellow-legs. Bonus bird of the day was 3 Roseate Spoonbills - normally a bird you see in Florida, they are starting to appear very infrequently in the mid-Atlantic. Also a Common Gallinule and a Clapper Rail - not unusual there but pretty secretive birds that tend to hide in the grass.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Puffin cam! I have never seen these in person but came across this Audubon cam. Cute little birds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7kDwLBItB8
Fbone

Post by Fbone »

I only see female hummingbirds this year. Males may have found another food source. I hope so. Wants lots of chicks.

One of the male goldfinches was banded. Why would someone band them? How would they ever trace it?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Fbone wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 pm I only see female hummingbirds this year. Males may have found another food source. I hope so. Wants lots of chicks.

One of the male goldfinches was banded. Why would someone band them? How would they ever trace it?
I've seen both female and male hummingbirds this year at my feeder.

In terms of banding, scientists use this method to track bird species and populations etc.

One article that discusses it:

https://rockies.audubon.org/get-involve ... ce/banding

Audubon and other groups encourage people who find dead birds with bands to call a local Audubon society or other conservation organization so they can track the bird for research.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:52 am In terms of banding, scientists use this method to track bird species and populations etc.
I'm (slowly) reading a book on bird migration.

One scientist described some "ace" observers on a counting mission in China being able to read the tracking info on shorebird bands from 900 yards with a spotting scope. Amazing.

They have also now miniaturized GPS location transponders such that they can band fairly small birds (Swainson's Thrush was the example) with GPS transponders and track their movements.

A late friend of mine was an expert Hummingbird bander. They would band every year and every year periodically birds get netted in counting exercises and the band data collected and the bird released. So, for example, a team might be banding Hummingbirds in Mexico in the winter and recording where the bird was banded originally -- say, New York.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Here in NJ, we have had a couple of Midwestern visitors - both in the same county park but in different sections - near Princeton...Dickcissel and a Henslow's Sparrow.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dickcissel/id

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Henslows_Sparrow
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

I have used Merlin for years; it's a great all-around app especially for people who are new to birding. I especially like using it when I travel to new areas to see what I might expect to see in the area.
The new sound ID feature seems to use the same technology as the BirdNET app, which I've used for a while and seems to work quite well for most species (as long as it's not too windy). As the article says, it's not 100% accurate, but it usually gives a good starting point for a song/call ID. I like to see BirdNET's suggestion, then switch over to the species's page on Merlin to hear what it actually sounds like, and compare if it's the same as what I'm hearing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

stilts1007 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:01 am The new sound ID feature seems to use the same technology as the BirdNET app, which I've used for a while and seems to work quite well for most species (as long as it's not too windy). As the article says, it's not 100% accurate, but it usually gives a good starting point for a song/call ID.
Tried it at Bombay Hook yesterday. Just a few quick tests. It wasn't too bad. You can often eliminate the "wrong ID" because it is something that is rarely seen in your geography, it is the wrong habitat or wrong time of the year.

This is a process that is useful to ID a bird even without technical assistance. Eliminate everything else and whatever is left is likely the bird. Even behavior can be a distinguishing trait between two very similar species.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Just saw a goldfinch at my feeder this morning. Those guys haven't been around for quite some time, perhaps over a year.

A flock of grackles were at my feeders today, along with the usual bluejays, house finches, cardinals, and sparrows.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://smnewsnet.com/archives/493979/t ... rk-lights/

Headline news - two-juvenile-ospreys-euthanized-for-maintenance-of-calvert-county-ball-park-lights
I live in a county run by STUPID people !!!!!!!
Truly don't know what to say, we did it so we can protect our citizens from falling timber !
Couldn't have roped off 20 feet barrier and waited for them to fledge?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:05 am https://smnewsnet.com/archives/493979/t ... rk-lights/

Headline news - two-juvenile-ospreys-euthanized-for-maintenance-of-calvert-county-ball-park-lights
Truly don't know what to say, we did it so we can protect our citizens from falling timber !
This is really remarkable and surprising for MD.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:25 am
f35phixer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:05 am https://smnewsnet.com/archives/493979/t ... rk-lights/

:shock: :(
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

The local utility company here goes out of their way to protect the ospreys. At the following link their is a short video of their efforts.

Building a Future for Ospreys

They have also been involved in restoring the endangered Pergrine Falcon to the environment as well.

Birds of Prey at PPL
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am

Edited to add: I'm sure there are wildlife rehab folks or non-profit groups who would have been happy to take the juveniles in. :(
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Look, I've been "unkind" to wildlife in my past. I'm no vegan angel. But I cannot for the life of me imagine why the utility couldn't work around these nests either in time or space.

A few weeks ago I sucked it up and saved a black snake that was snagged in some netting. I don't like snakes. And these snakes also eat birds! ( I have barriers in place.).

But all God's creatures have a place. The snake didn't even acknowledge me for saving it's life oh well. Siimilarly, I waited until down season last year to have tree work done to save the birds and other animals.

Just hate to hear about those ospreys. What a shame.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

All these parks are county government controlled, not a utility company. They have started to change light poles in some parks out, to allow the osprey to make nests and if heaven forbid they need to change a light bulb they could....

I wish this could have gone nationwide to bring attention to stupidness :oops:
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:28 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am

Edited to add: I'm sure there are wildlife rehab folks or non-profit groups who would have been happy to take the juveniles in. :(
the way I read it they didn't even try !