Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GoFish

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by GoFish »

In the past week at the feeder or in the woods:

Hairy woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Red bellied woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker
Indigo bunting
Baltimore oriole
Goldfinch
House finch
Chickadee
Nuthatch
Cardinal
Mourning dove

We hear barred owls and screech owls in the evenings, but haven’t put eyes on them yet.

A hummingbird was rescued from the barn on Friday. It repeatedly tried to fly up through the clear plastic skylight panels in the roof (after flying in through the open overhead door). Knocked itself out and our visiting friend picked it up and placed on the ground outside the barn. After a bit, it cleared its head and flew off.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GoFish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:52 am
A hummingbird was rescued from the barn on Friday. It repeatedly tried to fly up through the clear plastic skylight panels in the roof (after flying in through the open overhead door). Knocked itself out and our visiting friend picked it up and placed on the ground outside the barn. After a bit, it cleared its head and flew off.
I have similar things happen in my yard when a bird hits the window once in a while. I lost a little female house finch the other day ; ' (. Sometimes they just get "stunned" and recover like your hummingbird.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The woodpeckers are showing in force. I'm wondering if it's time to take down the suet feeder for the season. The temperature will hit 80 deg later this week.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am The woodpeckers are showing in force. I'm wondering if it's time to take down the suet feeder for the season. The temperature will hit 80 deg later this week.
Woodpeckers are so fun to watch; haven't seen any recently. I am leaving my suet up for a while since I purchased a new "squirrel-buster" suet feeder which seems to be working well (so far.) The finches, chickadees and bush tits are able to have more food without the squirrels & larger birds eating a bunch of it!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Yesterday a pale green parakeet was seen on my platform feeder eating the few seeds remaining. I watched for an hour or so, then went out to add more seeds there. He/She returned and remained off and on till dark. This morning the beauty was back. The other birds seems to have accepted having her around. I went out to the yard twice later and watched as he was with some sparrows in the bushes, then among a trash pile of plant stems and limbs which I pruned away yesterday.
I guess he escaped or was set loose. Surprisingly, he already seems, at least temporarily, at home. (Stay away hawks.)

Side thought of my birds. The hummingbirds have not returned. May 15 has been the latest day for over 20 years. I will keep watching.
Woof
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 pm Yesterday a pale green parakeet was seen on my platform feeder eating the few seeds remaining. I watched for an hour or so, then went out to add more more seeds there. He/She returned and remained off and on till dark. This morning the beauty was back. The other birds seems to have accepted having her around. I went out to the yard twice later and watched as he was with some sparrows in the bushes, then among a trash pile of plant stems and limbs which I pruned away yesterday.
I guess he escaped or was set loose. Surprisingly, he already seems, at least temporarily, at home. (Stay away hawks.)

Side thought of my birds.
Have you checked to see if there are any reports of a missing pet parakeet (what other type is there, until this little critter? :wink: )
Maybe check Nextdoor or...??

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
agbp

Post by agbp »

We had a beautiful male goldfinch banging into our kitchen windows one day last week. I scared him away by waving my arms, and he hasn't done it since.

Our pine siskins have left, thank goodness. There was an irruption of them this year, here in NC and elsewhere. Earlier this spring, we had to take down most of our feeders due to them mobbing feeders in large numbers and spreading salmonellosis (we found two dead ones). Now we are back to putting out mealworms and sunflower hearts on a hanging tray feeder, and the bluebirds, cardinals, titmice, chickadees and others are happy. We had a red-bellied woodpecker enjoying some suet today, and I saw a handsome towhee on the ground under the feeders.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

whelp, looks like i have a crow with bad case of the Avian Pox, his feet are JACKED UP !!!! only sits at bird bath, i'm going to take bath down for a while, plenty of other places to get water.

The catbirds are going to hate it, go to Suet feeder chow down, get a drink of water ;-)
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Have you checked to see if there are any reports of a missing pet parakeet (what other type is there, until this little critter? :wink: )
Maybe check Nextdoor or...??

RM
I will be checking next weeks newspaper. My spouse said that she will make an ad in the paper too, which will probably appear about Wednesday. Hope that works out. But the 'keet appears very comfortable being free.

Thanks.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Re: Parakeet. Many years ago, my daughter's parakeet flew out of the house. Twice. Both times we got him to come back to land on our hand filled with millet. He was 2 houses away chirping away happily, so we could easily find him.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Pautxent Research Refuge - North Tract. 55 species total including

Ovenbird
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Cerulean Warbler
Northern Parula
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Scarlet Tanager (many - at least a half dozen)
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Barred Owl
Eastern Kingbird
Indigo Bunting (so many we could not count)
Least Flycatcher (first on this year for me)
Acadian Flycatchers (many - at least a dozen)
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

jebmke wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:26 pm Pautxent Research Refuge - North Tract. 55 species total including

Ovenbird
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Cerulean Warbler
Northern Parula
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Scarlet Tanager (many - at least a half dozen)
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Barred Owl
Eastern Kingbird
Indigo Bunting (so many we could not count)
Least Flycatcher (first on this year for me)
Acadian Flycatchers (many - at least a dozen)

Great List!
I'm a bit north of you. We had a Kentucky Warbler at the Delaware Water Gap last summer - drew a lot of people. They are sulkers so never saw him but he sang a lot! We're also a bit north for Prothonotary Warbler but they do show up from time to time.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Stopped at a county park which borders the Great Swamp in NJ - Lord Sterling (a bit about Lord Sterling, from the American Revolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A ... d_Stirling Park is listed under Legacy and he had a house on the park property)

But highlight was a pair of Red Headed Woodpeckers - we hope are a nesting pair. They were arguing a bit about the tree choices. We do get them at either the Swamp or Lord Sterling from time to time. They are more common south of us.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red ... dpecker/id#
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:14 pm Re: Parakeet. Many years ago, my daughter's parakeet flew out of the house. Twice. Both times we got him to come back to land on our hand filled with millet. He was 2 houses away chirping away happily, so we could easily find him.
Cute story! Very lucky.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Very inspiring pictures in this thread! Here are some of the migrating birds we saw over the weekend. Plus, lots of the normal bird feeder varieties. Sorry for large photos (not sure how to change the size here).

Great blue heron

Glossy ibis

Snowy egret

(Western) Osprey

And here he is being harassed by one insanely aggressive red wing blackbird
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

hi_there wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 pm Very inspiring pictures in this thread! Here are some of the migrating birds we saw over the weekend. Plus, lots of the normal bird feeder varieties. Sorry for large photos (not sure how to change the size here).
Incredible photos!!!

Did you take those shots yourself?
What camera and lens?

Thanks!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 am
hi_there wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 pm Very inspiring pictures in this thread! Here are some of the migrating birds we saw over the weekend. Plus, lots of the normal bird feeder varieties. Sorry for large photos (not sure how to change the size here).
Incredible photos!!!

What camera and lens?

Thanks!
That is great praise coming from you. These are photos I took last weekend using Canon 6D Mk1 and Tamron 150-600mm G2. I am happy with the results, but still have lots to learn.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

hi_there wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 am
Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 am
Incredible photos!!!

What camera and lens?

Thanks!
That is great praise coming from you. These are photos I took last weekend using Canon 6D Mk1 and Tamron 150-600mm G2. I am happy with the results, but still have lots to learn.
DW has has a Canon 1D with a Sigma 150-600 on a Benro Carbon Fiber Gimbal Head and tripod for wildlife and even with that setup, it's so tough to get the depth of field and sharpness right on moving subjects. That last one with the 2 birds was a tough one to get. Awesome composition and angles make it so dynamic!
Congratulations.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 pm Yesterday a pale green parakeet was seen on my platform feeder eating the few seeds remaining. I watched for an hour or so, then went out to add more seeds there. He/She returned and remained off and on till dark. This morning the beauty was back. The other birds seems to have accepted having her around. I went out to the yard twice later and watched as he was with some sparrows in the bushes, then among a trash pile of plant stems and limbs which I pruned away yesterday.

Side thought of my birds. The hummingbirds have not returned. May 15 has been the latest day for over 20 years. I will keep watching.
Woof
No one answered our lost and found newspaper ad for a found parakeet. I guess we will have this beautiful bird with us from now on, at least until the freeze occurs. She has been accepted by the sparrows. They are together most of the time. Interesting.

Hummingbirds finally arrived today......over a week late. Nice to have them back.
Woof
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

My hummers have showed up looking for their juice almost like clockwork the last couple of years. When I see them buzzing the feeder hook I know to put it out. Which, makes me feel quite special because that means its the same birds. Amazing.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:51 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 pm
No one answered our lost and found newspaper ad for a found parakeet. I guess we will have this beautiful bird with us from now on, at least until the freeze occurs. She has been accepted by the sparrows. They are together most of the time. Interesting.

Hummingbirds finally arrived today......over a week late. Nice to have them back.
Woof
Glad your hummers have arrived! So much fun to watch.

Thanks for the parakeet update. That is interesting the sparrows accepted him/her. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Vtsax100 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:03 pm My hummers have showed up looking for their juice almost like clockwork the last couple of years. When I see them buzzing the feeder hook I know to put it out. Which, makes me feel quite special because that means its the same birds. Amazing.
That's cool the same ones come back every year!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I saw a new bird (to my backyard) this morning - a Gray Catbird. :D I looked at the range map on Cornell's site and it lives far away on the east coast year around but comes west (and north) for breeding season.

You might think it is a kinda boring gray bird but it is pretty elegant with a darker head and tail. It's always fun to see a "new" bird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gra ... d/overview
tonysk

Post by tonysk »

A resplendent quetzal in Guatemala last week. Highlight of my birding career.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:08 pm I saw a new bird (to my backyard) this morning - a Gray Catbird. :D I looked at the range map on Cornell's site and it lives far away on the east coast year around but comes west (and north) for breeding season.

You might think it is a kinda boring gray bird but it is pretty elegant with a darker head and tail. It's always fun to see a "new" bird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gra ... d/overview

Shoed him away from my birdfeeders. Get them all the time here on the Bay, love suet and are wonderful singers !!!!!!!!!!!
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

Images qualities aren’t great. Apologies in advance.

Blue jay with broken leg :(

Tufted titmouse (left) and house finch

Family of Eastern bluebirds - 1 adult and 3 fledglings
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The finches and sparrows that have been hanging around my feeders for the past several years seems to have disappeared. The past several weeks have had no rain, so perhaps that's why. Or, the weather pattern changed and they moved elsewhere.

The seed consumption went to near nothing and I've double-checked and refilled the feeders to make sure the seed was OK.

We got rain last weekend, but the vast majority of finches and sparrows haven't returned. Everyone else is still hanging around - catbirds, cardinals, blue jays, and woodpeckers.

A few days ago, I saw a gray bird that I didn't recognize. A short time later, a male cardinal came to the feeder and the gray bird started doing baby begging. Yup, it was a newly-fledged cardinal. Dad fed the young one while I watched. :happy
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

took a trip up to the northern part of the peninsula near PA border. Cicadas were sounding off - almost drowned out most bird calls.

Cicadas drew in Mississippi Kites which are unusual in Maryland. We spotted 7. Birding companion got this shot of one resting on a snag. Six others were soaring around the same area.

Good variety of other birds in the area

Baltimore Oriole and nest
Little Blue Heron
Green Heron

also spotted a large number of Bobolinks in protected grasslands. They nest here regularly.
agbp

Post by agbp »

Allixi wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:25 pm Images qualities aren’t great. Apologies in advance.

Blue jay with broken leg :(

Tufted titmouse (left) and house finch

Family of Eastern bluebirds - 1 adult and 3 fledglings
We've had a family of bluebirds coming to our feeders too. The nest was in the bluebird box in the front yard. Now bluebirds are nesting in the backyard box. I don't know if it's the same pair or a different one.

We have also seen young chickadees and titmice, but no cardinal fledglings yet.

Poor bluejay!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke:

Great photos! I've never seen a Bobolink but Cornell shows they do breed in my area. Very cool looking bird. Part of their song reminds me of a Meadowlark. We have quite a few of those in my area.

"The male sings a metallic, bubbly, rambling song with a mixture of sharp high notes and buzzy low pitches. " I always find it interesting to see how ornithologists try to describe such intricate sounds from another species. :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

8 Hummingbirds around the feeder a few morning's ago. We had a cold snap. Some of the hummers were just sitting on the feeder pegs puffed up to keep warm.

Mr's Wren made her annual nest up in the front deck rafters, same spot, 2 eggs hatched and now 2 fuzzy heads poke up all day to get insects from thier mom.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sandtrap:

Great hummingbird photos! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the others posting photos today! Always enjoyable.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Mothman. From The Mothman movie starring Richard Gere + Laura Linney. Then again it was closing time....lol :shock:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 am jebmke:

Great photos! I've never seen a Bobolink but Cornell shows they do breed in my area. Very cool looking bird. Part of their song reminds me of a Meadowlark. We have quite a few of those in my area.

"The male sings a metallic, bubbly, rambling song with a mixture of sharp high notes and buzzy low pitches. " I always find it interesting to see how ornithologists try to describe such intricate sounds from another species. :happy
The fields we found the Bobolinks also had numerous Meadowlarks. One of my favorite birds, they are common in my area where the fields are left to natural grasslands. Some of the very marginal cropland in the "low country" portion of MD are being taken out of ag and being restored to grasslands by some conservationists. A nearby neighbor of mine has bought up about 2,000 acres of cropland across the main road from me and has restored grasslands, wetlands and some reforestation of riparian sections. Has brought in a lot of waterfowl - ducks in the wet season and shorebirds when the ponds are partially drained.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

I watched a Tufted Titmouse burry a sunflower seed in a flower pot on my porch. I will watch to see if it sprouts or if he comes back to get it.

My blue birds are ready to fledge any day now. Poking their little heads out. So that is exciting but I had to leave town for a few days so I bet I will miss it. If I do hopefully I will see them feeding around the yard over the next few weeks.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Vtsax100 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 am I watched a Tufted Titmouse burry a sunflower seed in a flower pot on my porch.
Last year I read a book called The Genius of Birds. Apparently Chickadees can bury thousands of seeds in different places and recall them for six months. I'm lucky I can remember where I put my reading glasses earlier in the day.

We have 5 Blue Bird chicks in the back box being fed continuously. A second pair has built a nest in the front box and as of yesterday there was one egg. The fledglings typically head for the woods for a couple of weeks or so to grow up a bit. Ours usually return in 2-3 weeks. They will often hang around the bird bath in the summer.
flyninjasquirrel

Post by flyninjasquirrel »

Most recent sightings have included Eastern Bluebirds, Brown Thrashers, a Pileated Woodpecker, Summer Tanagers (love these), and a couple Red Tailed Hawks recently soaring and screeching above our house.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 am jebmke:

The fields we found the Bobolinks also had numerous Meadowlarks. One of my favorite birds, they are common in my area where the fields are left to natural grasslands. Some of the very marginal cropland in the "low country" portion of MD are being taken out of ag and being restored to grasslands by some conservationists. A nearby neighbor of mine has bought up about 2,000 acres of cropland across the main road from me and has restored grasslands, wetlands and some reforestation of riparian sections. Has brought in a lot of waterfowl - ducks in the wet season and shorebirds when the ponds are partially drained.
Fantastic to hear about the conservationists and the restoration! That's great news. I also love Meadowlarks and their song. So beautiful. :beer
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

My wife watched one of these (Red-shouldered Hawk) pick off a songbird from one of our feeders the other day.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Lots of purple martins flying fast and low over the fairways today.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

These are all from today:

Goldfinch, Carolina chickadee, and house finch

White-breasted nuthatch and house finch

Northern cardinal

Downy woodpecker (image quality especially poor, sorry)

I’m using a new seed mix (Songbird Selections by Audubon park). It’s more expensive but I have to admit it’s attracting a greater variety of birds than just using sunflower seeds.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Allixi wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:31 pm These are all from today:
I'm enjoying your photos since they are what you actually see and not just copied from a web site! I see many of the same birds while out trail running, but they fly away too quick to even try to take a picture. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Geese having a honky-tonk...... There are more geese around the lake I walk at than normal. I suspect with the drought that their grassy feeding areas are turning dry so they are likely congregating at parks like this where they can snack on the green grass lawns. Zoom in and follow the shore as it turns right. There is a hundred yards of geese.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:38 pm Image

My wife watched one of these (Red-shouldered Hawk) pick off a songbird from one of our feeders the other day.

David
Gosh!
What a beautiful bird.
What a beautiful picture.

What camera and lens did you use?

Thanks for posting this.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:38 pm Image

David
Awesome photo! I can never watch those "meals" LOL. :beer
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:11 amWhat camera and lens did you use?
That is a picture from the eBird website.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:12 pm Geese having a honky-tonk...... There are more geese around the lake I walk at than normal. I suspect with the drought that their grassy feeding areas are turning dry so they are likely congregating at parks like this where they can snack on the green grass lawns. Zoom in and follow the shore as it turns right. There is a hundred yards of geese.
Along one of my bike routes through the neighborhood, I've have often noticed a few ducks sitting under a tree at a house (small houses on a cul-de-sac, very small front yard). They've been doing this for many years.

Asked the neighbor, "Why?". They said they think it started several years back when their neighbor (2nd neighbor) was feeding birds cracked corn (from Murdock's), and the ducks wanted in. Eventually squirrels joined in, so 2nd neighbor stopped feeding the birds to get rid of the squirrels, but they (1st neighbor) liked the ducks so moved the patch of cracked corn and ducks to their front yard for all to enjoy. Say they've had ~70 ducks some winters when other grassy areas are snow covered.

Didn't think to ask about troubles with foxes and coyotes.
--Guessing the ducks feed there during the day, then retire to an aerated pond (ice free patches) to sleep over night.
--Foxes only seem to come through the neighborhood after dark.
--Coyotes seem to avoid housing areas, but do frequent the nearby trails and open spaces.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Was sitting out back just now and serenaded by Wood Thrush (Thoreau loved their song) - apparently they have several sets of vocal chords

and later by a Black Billed Cuckoo - usually signals rain is coming

finally the Veerys and were chiming in

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bla ... koo/sounds
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Veery/sounds
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

We saw this night heron over the weekend. They are nocturnal, so rarely seen during the day!

NotTooDeepLearning

Post by NotTooDeepLearning »

I've been going on a lot of coastal walks lately. I've seen artic terns, sandhill cranes, bald eagles, magpies, greater (or lesser) scaups, and hudsonian godwits. Today I even saw a couple river otters off in the distance scurrying along the water line.