Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Candor

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Candor »

livesoft wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:16 pm Not everything is great for a bird. Here is a bird I found while bushwhacking earlier this year well off any trail. It was fresh dead in that there were no flies and no smell. No obvious signs of gunshot or other human intervention. No power lines anywhere around.

May have been poisoned from eating a poisoned rodent.
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Candor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:54 pm May have been poisoned from eating a poisoned rodent.
That would be my first guess.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Snowy Egret showed up in the creek today. First of the season in the back yard.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jebmke wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:05 pm
Candor wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:54 pm May have been poisoned from eating a poisoned rodent.
That would be my first guess.
I've seen hawks capture and feed on small birds in my backyard. It's a shredding process. This is different.

Based on the way the body is positioned, I'd say a natural predator. It looks like a something tried to grab it in its mouth. Perhaps the bird was on the ground and didn't detect that he was about to be dinner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pmPerhaps the bird was on the ground and didn't detect that he was about to be dinner.
Perhaps, but the red-tailed had not become dinner by the time I came across it. I don't think poisoning can be ruled out.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The angle of the neck, tail, and closed right wing suggest crushing. If a hawk is dining on his prey, he's vulnerable to attack. Every few seconds, they'll stop and survey the area for predators.

If you were bushwhacking, the grass must have been tall. I'll bet he was eating and didn't see the attacker sneak up on him. The attacker may not have been interested in eating - or dropped the bird for some other reason.

(List of topics discussed in the Bogleheads consumer forum:
- Amateur forensics. ✔️)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^A very good reason to avoid rodent poisons IMO (and to keep your pet cats indoors as Audubon recommends to help the bird populations.) :(
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just found this feather in backyard:
Barred owl or Cooper's Hawk ... both have been seen and heard in the trees above where this feather was found, but ...
https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/
suggests this might be from a red-tailed hawk. Red-tailed hawks do nest within a half mile of the house.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Here in the Catskills, am seeing many of the same feeder birds that others have mentioned: goldfinches and house finches, hairy/downy/red bellied woodpeckers, mourning doves, juncos, cardinals, blackbirds and cowbirds, black capped chickadees, blue jays, tufted titmouses (titmice?), nuthatches, sparrows. Also robins on the lawn of course, the harbinger of spring. A Carolina wren (they are such cute little birds) has been nesting in the top of my propane tank just outside my kitchen window. Am still waiting for the Eastern bluebirds to return to their usual nest box. Also due for ruby-throated hummingbird arrival soon and will put up the feeders tomorrow.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

sevenseas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 pm Here in the Catskills, am seeing many of the same feeder birds that others have mentioned: goldfinches and house finches, hairy/downy/red bellied woodpeckers, mourning doves, juncos, cardinals, blackbirds and cowbirds, black capped chickadees, blue jays, tufted titmouses (titmice?), nuthatches, sparrows. Also robins on the lawn of course, the harbinger of spring. A Carolina wren (they are such cute little birds) has been nesting in the top of my propane tank just outside my kitchen window. Am still waiting for the Eastern bluebirds to return to their usual nest box. Also due for ruby-throated hummingbird arrival soon and will put up the feeders tomorrow.
With the exception of the cowbirds I'm seeing every bird that you mentioned at, or around my bird feeders here in eastern PA. Although I believe that the juncos have headed north. The downy woodpeckers, nuthatches, and Carolina wrens are attracted to my peanut feeders. I put the unshelled peanuts in those feeders (they have no trouble pecking holes in the shells). It keeps those pesky English sparrows away from them (didn't see as many of them this past winter, or now). I put unshelled peanuts outside of the feeders for the blue jays and red bellied woodpeckers. I used a much lower volume of black oil sunflower seeds this past winter. Perhaps it was because of the mild winter that we're had.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I'm not a bird watcher but I saw this thread and wanted to mention that we have a bird around I've never seen before.

An albino Robin.

I also didn't realize that Robins stay in one place once they return for Spring. The albino has been around our house since arriving about a month ago. I also spotted him in the bordering woods.

Best birds I've seen from my deck? Bald Eagle and Heron. I'm in PA.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thanks to all who have contributed. I’ve really enjoyed the pictures during the current lock down. It brings me a real sense of peace. Keep the pictures coming!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

investingdad wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:43 am I'm not a bird watcher but I saw this thread and wanted to mention that we have a bird around I've never seen before.

An albino Robin.

I also didn't realize that Robins stay in one place once they return for Spring. The albino has been around our house since arriving about a month ago. I also spotted him in the bordering woods.

Very cool! I've never seen an albino bird but have heard about them.

I saw this Audubon article you might find interesting:

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-if-bird-albino
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:33 am
investingdad wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:43 am I'm not a bird watcher but I saw this thread and wanted to mention that we have a bird around I've never seen before.

An albino Robin.

Very cool! I've never seen an albino bird but have heard about them.

I saw this Audubon article you might find interesting:

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-if-bird-albino
Hmm. Well, consider me educated! After reading this, said Robin is not a true albino.

Where there should be color there is only white. But where there should be grey, there is grey. That makes him a leucism sufferer.
camper

Post by camper »

Sitting here in my backyard in Arizona on a glorious spring morning. I saw the 3 hummingbirds that are frequent visitors on the feeder in the tangelo tree. Yellow finches and sparrows visit another feeder all day every day. A beautiful male and female cardinal stopped by. I was serenaded by the calls of mourning dove. I can hear the flying rats (pigeons) that roost under the solar panels on the neighbor's house a couple of houses down the way. I wish the cooper's hawk that lives in the other neighbor's tree would make an appearance. It snacks on the dove and pigeons. Messy, but needed to control the populations.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

camper wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:19 am Sitting here in my backyard in Arizona on a glorious spring morning. I saw the 3 hummingbirds that are frequent visitors on the feeder in the tangelo tree. Yellow finches and sparrows visit another feeder all day every day. A beautiful male and female cardinal stopped by. I was serenaded by the calls of mourning dove. I can hear the flying rats (pigeons) that roost under the solar panels on the neighbor's house a couple of houses down the way. I wish the cooper's hawk that lives in the other neighbor's tree would make an appearance. It snacks on the dove and pigeons. Messy, but needed to control the populations.
And you folks in AZ get the pyrrhuloxia (aka "desert cardinal") to boot. Apparently they view cardinals as competitors

Photo from allaboutbirds
Teague

Post by Teague »

We are teaching one of our ducks to conduct orchestra. He's coming right along.
Semper Augustus
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Figures. I don't take my cellphone with me and there's a Great Blue Heron standing in the creek at the back of my property. :shock:

We stared at each other for a while. I got to within 100 feet of him until he(?) decided to move further away.

I've seen herons before, but never this close. He(?) was almost as tall as I was. That is one big bird, the wing-span is huge.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Teague wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:26 pm We are teaching one of our ducks to conduct orchestra. He's coming right along.
Wonderful caption. :)
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:38 pm Figures. I don't take my cellphone with me and there's a Great Blue Heron standing in the creek at the back of my property. :shock:

We stared at each other for a while. I got to within 100 feet of him until he(?) decided to move further away.

I've seen herons before, but never this close. He(?) was almost as tall as I was. That is one big bird, the wing-span is huge.
There are a few that fish the large creek that runs a bit behind our home. They look prehistoric when they fly over the house.
rivendell

Post by rivendell »

A pileated woodpecker was working on a small stump at the edge of our yard for about 20 minutes. The wood chips were flying!
“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.” | ― Chuck Palahniuk
Candor

Post by Candor »

Great Blue Heron I came across on Friday.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

rivendell wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:58 pm A pileated woodpecker was working on a small stump at the edge of our yard for about 20 minutes. The wood chips were flying!
Cool! This species is not in my state but I like to read about different birds.

Sometimes I like to go to Cornell's ornithology website to learn about them. You can also listen to their calls and drumming sounds here:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pil ... ker/sounds
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Candor wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:08 pm Great Blue Heron I came across on Friday.

Great photo! Thanks for posting. I love Great Blue Herons!
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

minesweep wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:20 pm
sevenseas wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:37 pm Here in the Catskills, am seeing many of the same feeder birds that others have mentioned: goldfinches and house finches, hairy/downy/red bellied woodpeckers, mourning doves, juncos, cardinals, blackbirds and cowbirds, black capped chickadees, blue jays, tufted titmouses (titmice?), nuthatches, sparrows. Also robins on the lawn of course, the harbinger of spring. A Carolina wren (they are such cute little birds) has been nesting in the top of my propane tank just outside my kitchen window. Am still waiting for the Eastern bluebirds to return to their usual nest box. Also due for ruby-throated hummingbird arrival soon and will put up the feeders tomorrow.
With the exception of the cowbirds I'm seeing every bird that you mentioned at, or around my bird feeders here in eastern PA. Although I believe that the juncos have headed north. The downy woodpeckers, nuthatches, and Carolina wrens are attracted to my peanut feeders. I put the unshelled peanuts in those feeders (they have no trouble pecking holes in the shells). It keeps those pesky English sparrows away from them (didn't see as many of them this past winter, or now). I put unshelled peanuts outside of the feeders for the blue jays and red bellied woodpeckers. I used a much lower volume of black oil sunflower seeds this past winter. Perhaps it was because of the mild winter that we're had.
I've been feeding the Choice blend from Wild Birds Unlimited which includes black oil sunflower, sunflower chips, striped sunflower, safflower and peanuts. The number of goldfinches in particular that this has attracted is astonishing. The goldfinches apparently feed in flocks, so there can be 7+ adult males, females and juveniles all duking it out at the feeder, while the other birds wait for their chance to swoop in. An endless source of entertainment. :) I bought a mealworm feeder and dried mealworms to put up for when the blue birds arrive. I've heard that rehydrating the worms helps with their palatability but am kind of creeped out at the thought...I find them gross enough as it is (which is why I couldn't stomach the thought of feeding live ones...ugh!)
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Here in East Tennessee, our Ruby-throated hummingbirds started showing up about two weeks ago. The Hooded Warblers arrived some days back. And, for the past few days we've been having Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at one of our feeders.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:13 pm
Candor wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:08 pm Great Blue Heron I came across on Friday.

Great photo! Thanks for posting. I love Great Blue Herons!
The are quite wonderful.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Great Blue Heron's cruise up and down the large running stream that goes onto and along our property and tree line.
When they land in the pastures, we just see these long necks and heads moving through the tall grass.
Certainly get's the attention of our horses.

Beautiful picture!

What camera and lens did you use?

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Teague wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:26 pm We are teaching one of our ducks to conduct orchestra. He's coming right along.
Great shot!

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm Here in East Tennessee, our Ruby-throated hummingbirds started showing up about two weeks ago. The Hooded Warblers arrived some days back. And, for the past few days we've been having Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at one of our feeders.

David
Nice. I had to look up a Hooded Warbler. Very pretty and nice song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ONAHnvCWjI
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

A partial albino robin is regularly visiting my MIL's house. The chest is colored, but not strongly.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Voltaire2.0 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:16 pm Robins, repeatedly flying straight into my windows and bouncing off.
Birds flying into a window most often is caused by foliage reflecting in the window. Large numbers of birds die every year from this. Paying attention to foliage reflecting off the glass and pruning as appropriate can help, as can attaching some kind of decorative stickers, or hanging stained glass pieces in the window.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ When I first setup my bird feeders many years ago, the windows near those bird feeders were constantly getting flown into. Unfortunately, a few broke their necks when they bounced off the glass.

Others were stunned. I used to hold them in my hand for about 10 minutes until they recovered and took off. (Ten minutes seemed to be the amount of time they needed.)

Those windows were located in a sun room that had perfect visibility to the windows on the other side of the room. So, the birds saw a clear flight path to the other side and never thought twice about it.

I hung a few stained glass mosaics in the windows, along with some plants to block the view.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Hummingbird showed up yesterday. Also Eastern Kingbird.
Chip

Post by Chip »

We have an Eastern Phoebe hanging around in addition to the usual suspects this time of year.

Yesterday I was spraying some weeds in the yard and flushed a Red-shouldered Hawk out of a patch of periwinkle about 15 feet away from me, at the edge of the yard. He/she flew off carrying a gray rodent about the size of a mole, then landed on a branch about 100 feet away. The rodent was ripped to shreds and eaten shortly thereafter.
Think

Post by Think »

Funny, I figured Boggleheads would mention the Cornell Orinthology Lab offerings...including the Merlin app. Why....these are free apps that are imho better than any paid app I have seen
kayakprof

Post by kayakprof »

Out hiking in a marshland with the kids yesterday when we saw two large Canada geese get into a savage fight that lasted 3 minutes. Biting, pushing underwater, running and chasing, funny noises. Never seen that before. After the fight, lots of bathing and preening behaviors from both animals.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 am
Voltaire2.0 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:16 pm Robins, repeatedly flying straight into my windows and bouncing off.
Birds flying into a window most often is caused by foliage reflecting in the window. Large numbers of birds die every year from this. Paying attention to foliage reflecting off the glass and pruning as appropriate can help, as can attaching some kind of decorative stickers, or hanging stained glass pieces in the window.
+1

Here's some additional info from Audubon on how to avoid this problem. One suggestion is keeping your blinds closed.

https://www.audubon.org/news/help-birds ... -collision
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Think wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 am Funny, I figured Boggleheads would mention the Cornell Orinthology Lab offerings...including the Merlin app. Why....these are free apps that are imho better than any paid app I have seen
+1 Merlin (Cornell) is excellent. Audubon also has a free app but I use Merlin the most. :happy

Cornell's full website has some great resources:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

kayakprof wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:32 am Out hiking in a marshland with the kids yesterday when we saw two large Canada geese get into a savage fight that lasted 3 minutes. Biting, pushing underwater, running and chasing, funny noises. Never seen that before. After the fight, lots of bathing and preening behaviors from both animals.
Spring (and quarantine) brings out some interesting behaviors. I was at the store recently and saw a female Canada goose sitting on her nest in the middle of the parking lot on a small strip of landscaping. Her mate was not far away hanging out by a closed nail salon.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Thanks folks!

Sandtrap, it was taken with a Canon 1D Mark IV and 500mm F4 v1 lens.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:26 am
Think wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 am Funny, I figured Boggleheads would mention the Cornell Orinthology Lab offerings...including the Merlin app. Why....these are free apps that are imho better than any paid app I have seen
+1 Merlin (Cornell) is excellent. Audubon also has a free app but I use Merlin the most. :happy

Cornell's full website has some great resources:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/
The Princeton "Warbler Guide" app is excellent for warblers. Not free but very rich content for identifying warblers which is a particularly challenging task since they are small and often only flit around in tree canopies (e.g. Cerulean Warbler) or stay hidden in the woods (e.g Ovenbird). Many IDs this time of year are by sound only.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

sevenseas wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:55 pm
minesweep wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:20 pm
I've been feeding the Choice blend from Wild Birds Unlimited which includes black oil sunflower, sunflower chips, striped sunflower, safflower and peanuts. The number of goldfinches in particular that this has attracted is astonishing. The goldfinches apparently feed in flocks, so there can be 7+ adult males, females and juveniles all duking it out at the feeder, while the other birds wait for their chance to swoop in. An endless source of entertainment. :) I bought a mealworm feeder and dried mealworms to put up for when the blue birds arrive. I've heard that rehydrating the worms helps with their palatability but am kind of creeped out at the thought...I find them gross enough as it is (which is why I couldn't stomach the thought of feeding live ones...ugh!)
I use black oil sunflower seeds, peanuts, suet (wintertime), safflower seed, & I put peanut butter into the holes of a hanging wooden log (in the wintertime). In the wintertime I put some mixed seed (absent the milo filler) on the ground at dusk for the juncos and small ground sparrows (until the juncos head north in the springtime).

I get just a few goldfinches here for the black oil sunflower seeds. Probably would get more if I put out thistle seed. I have an upside down thistle feeder (keeps other birds away from it) but I haven’t used it in years. It’s a little bit early to put out the hummingbird feeder.

On rare occasion I see a hawk circling my birdfeeders. The birds take cover but the poor slow moving doves most often become the unfortunate victim. On occasion a cat will nab a bird as well. I just read that scattering some citrus peels or sprinkling cayenne pepper flakes might keep them away. I might give that a try.

I do my best to keep the bird feed away from those pesky squirrels with squirrel guards and squirrel proof feeders.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

I presume this is a ruby crowned kinglet (I don't think the reddish patch on the forehead is an artifact)? At first I thought it could be a female goldfinch, but this one moves a bit too often.

Due to the bad lighting, sh**ier camera, and the fidgety bird, I couldn't get a good focus on it

I think there's also a warbler or two around; or maybe this was the warbler I saw the other day

bandoba

Post by bandoba »

InvisibleAerobar wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:13 pm I presume this is a ruby crowned kinglet (I don't think the reddish patch on the forehead is an artifact)? At first I thought it could be a female goldfinch, but this one moves a bit too often.

Due to the bad lighting, sh**ier camera, and the fidgety bird, I couldn't get a good focus on it

I think there's also a warbler or two around; or maybe this was the warbler I saw the other day

Sounds right. See https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rub ... ed_Kinglet.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Two pair of cardinals are at the feeder along with red headed finch. Blue Jays on the phone lines looking for a handout of peanuts. A few sparrows.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

bandoba wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 pm
InvisibleAerobar wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:13 pm I presume this is a ruby crowned kinglet (I don't think the reddish patch on the forehead is an artifact)? At first I thought it could be a female goldfinch, but this one moves a bit too often.

Sounds right. See https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rub ... ed_Kinglet.
Looks correct to me as well. Fun to see "new" birds show up. :happy
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

We get a lot of ruby-crowned kinglets in our yard and that is a correct identification. The difficulty is with female kinglets where the ruby crown is missing and it may be confused with a female golden-crowned kinglet. I’ve never seen a ruby-crowned kinglet where the red crown has grown out into almost a rooster comb. Most just have a red cap, maybe all where we live.

Here is some info about window strikes, which apparently kill up to 1 billion birds every year.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/why- ... revent-it/
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:42 pm
Great shot!

Thanks! This was a Nikon D4, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 shot at f2.8 or f4, I forgot which.
Semper Augustus
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ It was f/2.8. How do I know? The EXIF data is embedded in the file.

Exposure: 1/3200 sec.
Focal length: 270.0
ISO: 400
Nikon D4
Mon, 06 April 2020 04:51:27 PM